Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default Gilbralter Mt. Clemens Weekend Show - Nothing like Hockeytown

Nothing like Hockeytown....Rodman sold out quickly ($40 /auto) and my hats off to McCarty and Lemieux for signing for 4+ hours (they were only supposed to sign for 2)! Both of these guys actually donated their parts to I think cancer research. But there were guys that waited 2 almost 3 hours just to prepurchase an autograph ticket, then to wait in line to get the autograph. Downside here was that had they been given a number they would of been free to spend that 2-3+ hours walking around the venue hopfully dropping a few bucks at the asst. sellers tables.

traffic was good. Sales were ok, but low for the traffic numbers. My average sale was just over 10 bucks so that was good. You name it I was able to sell it today (minus anything high end since my high transaction was 25 and the low was a buck). But baseball and football still were in the majority with a sprinkle of hockey and basketball. The $25 was actually an assortment of card cases (100), but I also sold a few posters, bobble heads, and a 19 ct lot of Riddell NFL micro helmets.

Thanks again Jeff for the help! Hopefully tomorrow is just as good so for once I can go home with a little profit since today really was a break even since i've got 80 in table fees, 50 in gas, and then the cost of the cards sold. Still need to cover the hotel and food.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used to go to these shows all the time as a kid. Went to Gibralter a few months ago and it was nowhere nearly as big of a place as I remember over 10 years ago haha. So I was wondering, how many tables are set up at these shows? I really want to go to one but don't want to show up to a couple tables and drive back.
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think the last show I figured had about 100 tables, but yes its not near what it used to be(used to be all wall to wall and frmo what i've been told about 10 rows of tables). I'd say now its about 1/3 of the distance with typically 8 rows or so of card dealers. They've now added what I'd consider an antique/collectibles show with the card show (semi separate but still in the same space). Can post pictures tomorrow if the internet actually works. I know I've posted a few photos before, but I have these in my bucket (think these are from Mt. Clemens last July, but Taylor is typically the bigger show). I expect with the summertime the attendance both by dealers and customers to be down.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

I go to the Taylor one and its 1/3 vintage. 4 Guys selling wax, very good prices though. Definately 1/4 the size it used to be when I was going there as a kid in the early mid 90's
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will have to head out to one sometime for sure. Thanks for the info fish.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
I go to the Taylor one and its 1/3 vintage. 4 Guys selling wax, very good prices though. Definately 1/4 the size it used to be when I was going there as a kid in the early mid 90's
Stop by and say hi....as far as I know I'm the only one with the red skirting. Add the blowout or COMC t-shirt to the mix and I tend to be fairly easy to spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
I will have to head out to one sometime for sure. Thanks for the info fish.
Same as above. I'll try to post some pictures from today. Hours are typically 10-6 Fri, Sat, and Sun, but if your going to do a Sunday be farewarned most dealers start picking up early (say 1-2 pm) since Sunday sales are typically horrid.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

You didn't see when SI officially named Minneapolis/St. Paul as Hockeytown now?
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

No wonder I never renewed my subscription! Here are photos from today. I'd say 10 rows probably totalling 150 tables (+/- 20 tables).

Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Its been years since I have been up there, its about a 4 hour drive.. Do any of the wax dealers have sealed cases with reasonable pricing?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

prices are very reasonable. Might not have a sealed case persay, but would have something close. Taylor is still the better of the shows in my opinion. Depending on your location - Toronto is coming up
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
prices are very reasonable. Might not have a sealed case persay, but would have something close. Taylor is still the better of the shows in my opinion. Depending on your location - Toronto is coming up
Im in Cincinnati which is why Ive always gone to Taylor but not Mt Clemens... Ive been wanting to head back because I like the atmosphere of buying in person as opposed to online but there isnt anywhere in Cincy to buy bulk
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

I buy boxes from the guy in the red shirt in the 5th picture usually
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote