Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay ship cover insurance - will it work???

I am about to find out if eBay Ship Cover insurance is worth squat or not on International Priority shipments.

I sold a Kobe auto on May 15th to a buyer in Germany. Paid May 17th. Shipped out on May 17th via USPS Priority Mail International. I shipped through eBay and I used their "Ship Cover" insurance, and paid an extra $5-$6 for it as well. This is eBay's own insurance, and they have been covering Intl Priority packages with it for about 5-6 months.

Today, June 7th, buyer claims not to have received the card. I messaged the the buyer to please find an "item not received" claim and I will immediately refund them 100%. At that point I'll file an insurance claim through eBay.

So, I will soon find out if this "Ship Cover" insurance is worth squat. I've been waiting for this to happen, I'm very curious. I will let you know what happens.

Here's the tracking info, which of course doesn't show anything beyond the local post office. Intl Priority never does show tracking beyond it. But it is proof that I sent it out. And so I'm very curious if eBay's Ship Cover will trust the buyers claim that they didn't receive the card.

LJ617822523US
Shipping label printed on May-17-11
USPS Priority Mail International
Shipping cost: $15.71
Processed through Sort Facility, May-17-11, 22:10 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL, 61821
Electronic Shipping Info Received, May-17-11, 00:00 AM
Acceptance, May-17-11, 08:10 AM, CHAMPAIGN, IL, 61820
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Please let us know how it goes. Be interested to see what happens.
grosbisous11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
I am about to find out if eBay Ship Cover insurance is worth squat or not on International Priority shipments.

I sold a Kobe auto on May 15th to a buyer in Germany. Paid May 17th. Shipped out on May 17th via USPS Priority Mail International. I shipped through eBay and I used their "Ship Cover" insurance, and paid an extra $5-$6 for it as well. This is eBay's own insurance, and they have been covering Intl Priority packages with it for about 5-6 months.

Today, June 7th, buyer claims not to have received the card. I messaged the the buyer to please find an "item not received" claim and I will immediately refund them 100%. At that point I'll file an insurance claim through eBay.

So, I will soon find out if this "Ship Cover" insurance is worth squat. I've been waiting for this to happen, I'm very curious. I will let you know what happens.

Here's the tracking info, which of course doesn't show anything beyond the local post office. Intl Priority never does show tracking beyond it. But it is proof that I sent it out. And so I'm very curious if eBay's Ship Cover will trust the buyers claim that they didn't receive the card.

LJ617822523US
Shipping label printed on May-17-11
USPS Priority Mail International
Shipping cost: $15.71
Processed through Sort Facility, May-17-11, 22:10 PM, CHAMPAIGN, IL, 61821
Electronic Shipping Info Received, May-17-11, 00:00 AM
Acceptance, May-17-11, 08:10 AM, CHAMPAIGN, IL, 61820

You're most likely SOL on this one. When you select Priority Mail International when printing a shipping label on ebay, a message pops up saying that the method does not provide adequate electronic tracking to qualify for seller protection. I think the Ship Cover would only cover you if the card was damaged, not lost. Anything over $50 that sells to an international buyer, I ship with registered mail for ~$12.

Let us know how this turns out.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

You will more than likely also have to wait a certain number of days. I sent a package first class mail w/DC & insurance to my friend in the same state (a mere two hours away). Nothing was ever updated on the DC other than it had been accepted from when I was at the post office. He then wanted to file an insurance claim and they wouldn't let him until 21 days passed. Needless to say the package showed up right around day 18. I know they are different methods but I my guess is that some time frame is still required before something can be filed.

On a second note, I've also had an experience where I won a DVD off eBay for a friend and it was shipped with DC and said that it was delivered to me. It however was not actually delivered to me as I received the mail directly from the carriers hand on the day it said "delivered". I talked to the carrier, the post office and nobody could tell me what happened. I also talked to my neighbors and none of them had it. About 30 days later the package showed up with that days mail. Since I had read so many stories on here and people being d*cks about stuff, I didn't leave any feedback and just waited it out. I know it shouldn't be that way that it takes so long but sometimes things get held up in customs and people get impatient.

Last edited by 7290morint; 06-07-2011 at 05:49 PM.
7290morint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I may be SOL, and I knew that risk going in. But I just really wanted to find out what'll happen. I did read the Ship Cover insurance details, and I did find that they say the insurance covers "lost" items as well as damaged items, so according to my non-lawyer brain I would think it should cover it. but this is eBay, so I'd say my chances are about 15% tops...

I will switch to using registered in the future if this Ship Cover doesn't work.

I will post an update as soon as I have more info.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I may be SOL, and I knew that risk going in. But I just really wanted to find out what'll happen. I did read the Ship Cover insurance details, and I did find that they say the insurance covers "lost" items as well as damaged items, so according to my non-lawyer brain I would think it should cover it. but this is eBay, so I'd say my chances are about 15% tops...

I will switch to using registered in the future if this Ship Cover doesn't work.

I will post an update as soon as I have more info.
Keep in mind there is limited coverage available for international non-express parcels sent via Registered. Only Express/GXG has actual purchasable insurance coverage internationally. Can max out at $45 or so, meaning that if a $150 Kobe auto is 'lost' you only get $45 back on a paid claim.
I have used Registered 1st Class in the past primarily to a) act as a deterrent for mail thieves- signature is required every step of the way and b)fulfill the ebay rules for seller protection.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

What is the difference between this "Ship Cover" and purchasing insurance through the USPS?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechhokiefan View Post
What is the difference between this "Ship Cover" and purchasing insurance through the USPS?
Was waiting for an informed answer. Instead, I'll tell you what I know, which isn't much.

Ship Cover is an eBay service, so eBay is in the business of an insurance agent. USPS insurance is of course owed by the USA government postal service, so they are the agent in that case.

eBay's Ship Cover insurance is available to eBay sellers when they use eBay shipping. It is not available on every item, for example if you ship International First Class Mail, you can't buy Ship Cover. But if you ship Intl and use Priority Flat Rate of some kind, then you can buy Ship Cover.

Ship Cover is slight less expensive than USPS insurance, so I am giving it the old college try and seeing if it works. We shall see soon, because I have a German buyer with amazing feedback who knows the system well, and I'm 90% sure they are trying to get a free Kobe auto. We'll see if eBay will eat the cost, because I bought Ship Cover insurance on this transaction.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Do let us know. I always decline the ship cover and use USPS's insurance. It's a bit more expensive but I figured it would be more reliable. If ship cover ends up being quick (using quick loosely) and painless I may go with ship cover.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

UPDATE:

Buyer in Germany (gladbach60) filed an "item not received" claim through eBay on the morning of June 8th. I immediately refunded the buyer 100% plus shipping. The eBay case is now closed.

I then went to the "order details" page for that item. In the lower right corner, there is the shipping information. And because I purchased eBay Ship Cover Insurance, there is a link for "File an insurance claim". I clicked on that link and it takes me to the insurance claims page.

On this insurance claims page, there is a pull down menu option for filing a claim on a "Lost Package". This jives with what I read about Ship Cover insurance before I started using it. However, it says I have to wait until June 17th in order to file the claim. Something about waiting a certain amount of time before an insurance claim on a "lost" item can even be filed, just like 7290morint said in a previous post.

Anyway, we shall find out on June 17th is Ship Cover works or not on a "lost" overseas Priority item.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Please keep us updated Alex. I've used Ship Cover before but haven't had to file a claim, so I am curious to see how it goes. Thanks!
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

An item could sit in customs for weeks, sometimes never leaving them. Even if eBay were to cover you, it appears that the process is long and not guaranteed. Not worth to ship int for that extra bucks. Not even worth it to ship int with express mail as buyer is mostly disappointed with shipping costs.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Good luck with the claim! That's why I stopped shipping overseas. Need to much time to go to PO and complete all the forms and tracking is expensive.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

UPDATE 06/17/2011:

Today was the day that eBay said I had to wait to file a claim on the "lost" item. (buyer already refunded through an eBay item not received claim) So this morning, I was able to file the claim. When you file a claim you have 3 options: "item was damaged", "item was lost", "item was stolen". I choose "item was lost". And it let me file a claim.

Insurance claim submitted
You submitted shipping insurance claim, and your claim number is IPCLMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
You don't need to take any further action at this time. We'll email your buyer if they need to verify your claim.
- What happens next?
- If your buyer opened a case in the Resolution Center, we'll use that case to verify your claim and process your refund.
- If your buyer has not opened a case in the Resolution Center, your buyer may need to verify your claim.You might want to contact your buyer to encourage them to verify the claim when they sign in to eBay.
- Don't discard the damaged item or items. Whoever receives the damaged items needs to hold on to them until the claim is processed. If your buyer has the damaged items, ask the buyer to hold onto that evidence until the claim is processed.
- PIP will contact you about the claim. If you don't hear from PIP within three weeks you can contact them at
Parcel Insurance Plan : Contact Us.
For more information, see the ShipCover terms of coverage.
ShipCover is provided through eBay Insurance Services (eBay Insurance Brokerage Services in New York) and Parcel Insurance Plan (PIP) and is underwritten by The American Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Fireman's Fund Insurance Company

So my claim is in process now and I should hear something within 3 weeks.

Just letting you all know of the progress.

Alex
Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hche View Post
Good luck with the claim! That's why I stopped shipping overseas. Need to much time to go to PO and complete all the forms and tracking is expensive.
This is not USPS insurance, this is eBay "Ship Cover" insurance. Don't have to go to the Post Office at all, and the only form I've filled out is a single pull down menu question and clicked submit. I have spent hardly any time at all dealing with this claim, it's really pretty easy to submit a claim, you just have to be patient.

We'll see what the outcome is though...
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
UPDATE 06/17/2011:

Today was the day that eBay said I had to wait to file a claim on the "lost" item. (buyer already refunded through an eBay item not received claim) So this morning, I was able to file the claim. When you file a claim you have 3 options: "item was damaged", "item was lost", "item was stolen". I choose "item was lost". And it let me file a claim.

Insurance claim submitted
You submitted shipping insurance claim, and your claim number is IPCLMXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
You don't need to take any further action at this time. We'll email your buyer if they need to verify your claim.
- What happens next?
- If your buyer opened a case in the Resolution Center, we'll use that case to verify your claim and process your refund.
- If your buyer has not opened a case in the Resolution Center, your buyer may need to verify your claim.You might want to contact your buyer to encourage them to verify the claim when they sign in to eBay.
- Don't discard the damaged item or items. Whoever receives the damaged items needs to hold on to them until the claim is processed. If your buyer has the damaged items, ask the buyer to hold onto that evidence until the claim is processed.
- PIP will contact you about the claim. If you don't hear from PIP within three weeks you can contact them at
Parcel Insurance Plan : Contact Us.
For more information, see the ShipCover terms of coverage.
ShipCover is provided through eBay Insurance Services (eBay Insurance Brokerage Services in New York) and Parcel Insurance Plan (PIP) and is underwritten by The American Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Fireman's Fund Insurance Company

So my claim is in process now and I should hear something within 3 weeks.

Just letting you all know of the progress.

Alex
Well so far so good.....
Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

UPDATE 06/20/2011:

ShipCover WORKS!!!

Hello Alex Lazarevich,
Just thought you'd like to know Parcel Insurance Plan sent you $138.00 USD.
Note from sender, Parcel Insurance Plan:
Thank you for insuring with ShipCover. Reference Claim ID IPCLM0000000XXXXXXX
etc...

On 06/20/2011, 3 days after I made the claim (two of those days being weekend days) I received a complete refund for the item, the insurance claimed was "lost item".

Summary:
  • May 16th, sold a Kobe Auto for $138 card + $3.99 shipping to an international buyer in Germany.
  • Total shipping cost was $15.71, which included USPS Intl Priority Mail (about $11) plus I purchased eBay's ShipCover insurance, which cost about $4.
  • Item shipped on May 17th.
  • Buyer claimed no receipt of item and requested a refund on June 17th.
  • I told buyer to open an eBay case, and I immediately refunded that case on June 7th.
  • I had to wait until 30 days past ship date to file an insurance claim, which I did on June 17th.
  • June 20th, the full sale amount of $138 was paid to me by the ShipCover insurance company, paid directly to my PayPal account.
Kick a**! This is a GREAT alternative to Registered Mail. With Ship Cover there are no forms to fill out, everything is done online (eBay shipping) and it takes no time at all. It's just as easy as processing a Domestic shipping label on eBay.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
UPDATE 06/20/2011:

ShipCover WORKS!!!

Hello Alex Lazarevich,
Just thought you'd like to know Parcel Insurance Plan sent you $138.00 USD.
Note from sender, Parcel Insurance Plan:
Thank you for insuring with ShipCover. Reference Claim ID IPCLM0000000XXXXXXX
etc...

On 06/20/2011, 3 days after I made the claim (two of those days being weekend days) I received a complete refund for the item, the insurance claimed was "lost item".

Summary:
  • May 16th, sold a Kobe Auto for $138 card + $3.99 shipping to an international buyer in Germany.
  • Total shipping cost was $15.71, which included USPS Intl Priority Mail (about $11) plus I purchased eBay's ShipCover insurance, which cost about $4.
  • Item shipped on May 17th.
  • Buyer claimed no receipt of item and requested a refund on June 17th.
  • I told buyer to open an eBay case, and I immediately refunded that case on June 7th.
  • I had to wait until 30 days past ship date to file an insurance claim, which I did on June 17th.
  • June 20th, the full sale amount of $138 was paid to me by the ShipCover insurance company, paid directly to my PayPal account.
Kick a**! This is a GREAT alternative to Registered Mail. With Ship Cover there are no forms to fill out, everything is done online (eBay shipping) and it takes no time at all. It's just as easy as processing a Domestic shipping label on eBay.
This is GREAT!! I am going to start using this instead of USPS's insurance. This is cheaper and seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to use!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

This is certainly great news. I'm glad to hear things worked out for you! I'm guessing to access this you have to print the shipping label through eBay and not paypal?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
This is certainly great news. I'm glad to hear things worked out for you! I'm guessing to access this you have to print the shipping label through eBay and not paypal?
I believe this to be the case. If you are printing through paypal the only option you have is USPS's insurance.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
I believe this to be the case. If you are printing through paypal the only option you have is USPS's insurance.
I see, I have never used the eBay shipping stuff before as I've always just gone to paypal and clicked on "print shipping label". However, for more expensive items I might start using this if it really is as easy as it appears.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

I used to use PayPal shipping exclusively. But once I switched to eBay shipping and got used to it, it is far superior. For one, the pages load faster, for me when shipping 25-50 items in an evening it goes way faster with eBay shipping. Also, you've got ShipCover insurance as an option. The eBay packing slip is much more professional looking than the PayPal one. eBay shipping now can ship USPS International First Class as well, so no paying for the package at the post office, everything can be done right at your computer as long as you have a good scale to weigh items. There's probably more things I like about it but can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Thanks for the update Alex, it is appreciated!

And congrats on getting your refund!
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote