Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me leave feedback for a pain in the butt seller.

I recently purchased an item on ebay in which the seller charged $7.99 for shipping.

After about a week after I paid I asked if my packaged was mailed and for a DC#. I was informed it was already shipped but the seller didnt purchase DC#. I was a bit ticked by the fact he charged so much for shipping and was too cheap to get DC. During our exchanging of messages once again as I asked him whats the deal. He told me that he "already told me" that the package was shipped, but I once again asked why he wouldnt purchase DC.

I told him that I am the one leaving feedback and he is not doing his job as a seller by over charging shipping and not knowing where my package is. He then gave a reply that "he needs to leave me feedback too" (he must not know you cant leave buyers a negative.)

It finally arrived today almost 2 1/2 weeks after I paid. The postage cost $1.41...

I am not angry by the waiting time, I realize that life gets the better of you sometimes and you just cant make it to the post office. But the extreme overcharge for shipping and not purchasing DC, plus being a bit rude via ebay message I dont know what kind of feedback to leave.

Here are the 2 options I was thinking

A) Neutral with a comment about charging a lot for shipping
B) Positive, but ding the crap out of the DSR along with a not so nice comment in the feedback.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to p.thomaston

If you knew how much he was charging to ship and you bid and received the card in tact I would go positive but hit him with DSR. If he came back and charged more than originally quoted for shipping you can really nail him... Sounds like a lame seller either way though
Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would leave a neutral, considering it took 2 1/2 weeks to receive the item, how he charged you 4x more than he paid for shipping and didnt even get a DC #, and because he was rude.
Cje0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Option A for sure. Not sure why a buyer would want to pay 7.99 for shipping but to each is their own!! GL
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

First, let's look at High Shipping charges. Ex:Item has a $10 S&H cost, and you knew that before bidding, and you entered your max bid at $20,assuming that the most your willing to spend is $30(s&h+purchased item)
And you ended up winning at exactly $20. If that same item had a $2 shipping charge instead, Id assume you would enter $28,again, the most you'd willing to spend is $30. Comparing the two, you still would have/had spend the same amount. Now, when people list $10 S&H cost, their putting themselves in a higher position of getting lower DSR, and if they charge that much,& they said the item would be sent priority flat rate box, but turns out to be first class large envelope, then that's a different story. Do you know what shipping service he said the item would be mailed as and if in fact if he did Mail it that way.
SelfDestruct808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would go with a neutral, any one of those things is not worth a neutral by itself, but when you put them all together it is
ReinholdMessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

OP, you agreed to the COMPLETE PRICE SHIPPED... Why are you complaining about the cost?

Why didn't you ask him how he was shipping?

If you're so offended by $7.99, why did you bid on his card?

If he got it to you safely, he deserves a positive. If he promised DC or something more when shipping, that's one thing; But it sounds like he didn't, so don't get mad at him
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I'd go with B. You did receive the item so I think that deserves a positive but I'd certainly take everything into account when deciding how to rate his DSR's
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
OP, you agreed to the COMPLETE PRICE SHIPPED... Why are you complaining about the cost?

Why didn't you ask him how he was shipping?

If you're so offended by $7.99, why did you bid on his card?

If he got it to you safely, he deserves a positive. If he promised DC or something more when shipping, that's one thing; But it sounds like he didn't, so don't get mad at him
Yeah, it oulays the price of shipping.
HOWEVER, AND THIS I DON'T THINK PEOPLE REALIZE, is the shipping charge has to be pretty much exact with how much you actually pay to ship something out.
He basically bought the Class A service, but got Class D instead. I'd be pissed if that happened.
I'd leave a neutral and ding the DSR's. Seller needs to learn not to overcharge for shipping.
tehchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehchamp View Post
Yeah, it oulays the price of shipping.
HOWEVER, AND THIS I DON'T THINK PEOPLE REALIZE, is the shipping charge has to be pretty much exact with how much you actually pay to ship something out.
He basically bought the Class A service, but got Class D instead. I'd be pissed if that happened.
I'd leave a neutral and ding the DSR's. Seller needs to learn not to overcharge for shipping.
The OP agreed to a price on shipping and he didn't know what he was exactly getting?... His bad; He assumed and we all know the downfalls of assumptions

If the auction didn't state how the card was going to be shipped, then he should have contacted the seller and asked how it was going to be shipped

If you give a hobo a $1 for food, don't get pissed when he buys booze
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
The OP agreed to a price on shipping and he didn't know what he was exactly getting?... His bad; He assumed and we all know the downfalls of assumptions

If the auction didn't state how the card was going to be shipped, then he should have contacted the seller and asked how it was going to be shipped

I think option B is the best one, the item got to you safely and without any damage. That being said, provided you paid immediately after or shortly after the auction/listing ended; that in itself should entitle you to receiving the item in a fairly reasonable amount of time.

Now, I agree you can't assume that your package is coming in a padded mailer (providing it's a card you purchased) w/ DC. However, at $7.99 it is certainly a reasonable expectation to have those things. I don't think the O.P. is arguing against the cost just of shipping (as he clearly knew what he was getting into by bidding on the item) but that paying that much should entitle you to a piece of mind with DC as well as a reasonable shipping time. The reality is there are plenty of sellers on eBay who are going to try to maximize their profit margins by charging the most they can for shipping and not spending for DC, padded mailer, etc regardless of what the cost of the card was and I think that is something that you just have to deal with in buying items off of eBay.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'd go with a neutral and ding the DSR's.
Idk, you did agree on the shipping charge which is kind of crazy. I don't even bother bidding on cards with $3.50+ shipping.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
I'd go with a neutral and ding the DSR's.
Idk, you did agree on the shipping charge which is kind of crazy. I don't even bother bidding on cards with $3.50+ shipping.
Unless I am reading this wrong the dispute isn't the shipping charge itself, it's what should be included in that charge. I certainly don't think it is unreasonable to expect a delivery confirmation number at that price. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that every person who sells on eBay doesn't use DC as it is one of the only forms of protection you have available to you as a seller and in my eyes there is no excuse for not using it.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
Quite frankly, I'm amazed that every person who sells on eBay doesn't use DC as it is one of the only forms of protection you have available to you as a seller and in my eyes there is no excuse for not using it.
Agree 100%... But my point is, I'm tired of seeing people in this forum who complain about S&H charges and in every single thread, they all expect something from the seller just bcuz of the charge amount and they have no idea what they're getting
Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Just thought I would chime in again. A quick response to some of the comments above...

I was fully aware of the S&H charges when I bid, but I expect with a large S&H charge the seller would make some effort to ship quickly and supply DC. Also the seller doesnt see any wrong on his part. I will be leaving positive feedback but dinging the DSR ratings. I will also add a comment in the feedback saying something like "Took over 2 weeks to receive, very high shipping charge, but item arrived safely".
Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyyyyyy View Post
Just thought I would chime in again. A quick response to some of the comments above...

I was fully aware of the S&H charges when I bid, but I expect with a large S&H charge the seller would make some effort to ship quickly and supply DC. Also the seller doesnt see any wrong on his part. I will be leaving positive feedback but dinging the DSR ratings. I will also add a comment in the feedback saying something like "Took over 2 weeks to receive, very high shipping charge, but item arrived safely".
Your expectation is exactly right. And I think you've come to a decent solution.

A seller can easily avoid these kinds of situations by offering free shipping. All a seller has to do to compensate for free shipping is set a higher BIN, or set a higher starting bid for an item. Both those things are easy to do and don't increase fees more than a a couple of dimes, especially since eBay started charging their Final Value Fees to include shipping costs. Charging a buyer $8 for shipping but paying only $1.41 to the Post Office creates a completely useless inconsistency. Most buyers aren't going to appreciate that inconsistency.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
In my opinion, this is wrong. As a buyer, I have the right to assume a seller is going to buy a shipping method close to the amount I pay for. If he charges me over $7 and actually only pays less than $2, I'm not going to be happy, and it will show in his feedback.

Assuming things isn't always wrong, especially when common sense can be applied.

Quote:
What??? The seller is basically stating how it's going to be shipped with his outrageous shipping charge. It's not on the buyer to question the seller. It's on the seller to deliver what he's charging for. The seller absolutely did NOT deliver on what he charged for in this case, and therefore deserves to at least have his DSR dinged.

Quote:
Terrible and irrelevant example. If I pay $7 for S/H charges, I expect at least $5 worth of shipping to be purchased with "MY" money. A seller should be held in higher regard than a hobo on the street. That's only common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
Unless I am reading this wrong the dispute isn't the shipping charge itself, it's what should be included in that charge. I certainly don't think it is unreasonable to expect a delivery confirmation number at that price.
Completely agree 100%.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

It is the responsibility of the seller to deliver a positive buying experience. It is up to the buyer if that experience was positive, neutral, or negative.

In this case, the card was received and undamaged...Positive. But S/H was way over priced for what was delivered...Negative. In my book, that would warrant a neutral, but only the buyer has all the facts of his experience, and therefore he is the only one that can decide what feedback to leave.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Agree 100%... But my point is, I'm tired of seeing people in this forum who complain about S&H charges and in every single thread, they all expect something from the seller just bcuz of the charge amount and they have no idea what they're getting
People only complain about the shipping charge if they pay something like 7.99 and only get a 1.41 service.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'd leave a neutral and the appropriate DSR ratings. This is just another clown trying to save on FVFs and have buyers pay his fees.

Even on a smaller scale, if the seller charged me the avg. $2.50 - $3. for SH and it came in a PWE, it's wrong no matter how you look at it.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I'd leave a neutral and the appropriate DSR ratings. This is just another clown trying to save on FVFs and have buyers pay his fees.

Even on a smaller scale, if the seller charged me the avg. $2.50 - $3. for SH and it came in a PWE, it's wrong no matter how you look at it.
The seller is NOT saving on FVF's. eBay now includes shipping costs when calculating FVF's, so there is no benefit to having an item sell for $1 and $99 shipping. It's the exact same FVF's as if it were a $100 sales price and free shipping. The only thing the seller exposed himself to is bad feedback and an unhappy customer. He should have set a higher BIN price or a higher starting bid price AND offered free shipping.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
The seller is NOT saving on FVF's. eBay now includes shipping costs when calculating FVF's, so there is no benefit to having an item sell for $1 and $99 shipping. It's the exact same FVF's as if it were a $100 sales price and free shipping. The only thing the seller exposed himself to is bad feedback and an unhappy customer. He should have set a higher BIN price or a higher starting bid price AND offered free shipping.
You sure ? I thought the % charged to the shipping costs is smaller than the % charged to the actual sale price.

To clarify ;

Seller's item sells for $20. FVF is 9% = $1.80

Seller charges $7.99 s/h FVF is
FVFs on SH is 9% on $7.99 = $.71 + acutal cost to ship $1.41 = $2.12

You're paying his FVFs and then some

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS

Last edited by BAMBAM; 06-19-2011 at 09:54 AM.
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
You sure ? I thought the % charged to the shipping costs is smaller than the % charged to the actual sale price.

To clarify ;

I didn't realize that, and you may be totally right, my bad.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
So you are saying that if it is not clearly stated how the item will ship that we as a buyer should message the seller to confirm the shipping/packaging method before we buy it? This is absolute garbage reasoning. When you PAY for shipping you have the right to expect that the item will be shipped properly and within a reasonable time frame.

When you purchase something from an online retailer such as best buy, old navy, etc. do you contact them and ask them how they are going to package the item? Why their shipping cost is high? I highly doubt it because you expect that the item is going to be shipped properly, securely and within a reasonable time frame. Most people have no problem paying a higher price for shipping as long as the card arrives properly packaged and within a reasonable time frame. I know I don't, especially if it is a card I have been looking for or it is one that just doesn't come available very often. The reality is this seller is merely trying to get away with having the buyer pay his fees and maximize his profit on the item.

Also, just to be clear from your end: if you purchased an item with $7.99 shipping that arrived after two weeks in shipping that didn't cost anywhere near $7.99 you'd leave positive feedback with no dings on the DSR's?

Last edited by 7290morint; 06-19-2011 at 10:43 AM.
7290morint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

To clarify ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
I didn't realize that, and you may be totally right, my bad.
This is true in this particular situation but anyone charging that much for shipping and providing only first class service and nothing else won't be around long enough for it to really matter.