Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bidstart.com A Place to sell commons?! Really great fees....

Hey Guys,

This isn't an advertisement for my store on the site, I just wanted to alert you to a new presence in the hobby. At just .08/$1.00 fees, this place has the capabilities to upset ebay as the #1 spot to find sports cards and collectibles. This site just focuses on allowing anyone (Even people without a paypal account) to sell their cards at auctions, and fixed prices. You do have to pay a very small store fee $4.00/month to sell fixed prices.

Check it out and help give this auction website a boost.

bidStart - Sell & Buy Collectible Stamps, Postcards, Sports Cards & Memorabilia, Entertainment Memorabilia, Collectibles & Ephemera & more (StampWants)
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dreamweaver1984

i tried it out for a bit, honestly not many people know about it, i may have sold 2 cards since i started it many months ago.. which isnt much considering i sell about 25-50 a day on the bay..
Kobe Bryant Totally Certified Black 1/1 AUTO
dreamweaver1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver1984 View Post
i tried it out for a bit, honestly not many people know about it, i may have sold 2 cards since i started it many months ago.. which isnt much considering i sell about 25-50 a day on the bay..
Yeah, I wanted to sell common cards on the bay, however, ebay fees were killing me. It cost me $.20/$1.00 card x 300 to list the base on ebay as a buy-it-now price. Not including FVF's, and paypal fees. I wasn't making any money off it. If you are selling hits and inserts only, ebay may be a better place for you, but as far as I'm concerned I'm only paying 8 cents to the dollar to list common cards with no listing fees and a featured store costs only 9.00/month verses my ebay base store at $16.00/month.

Not to argue against you, but the listing features are better on Bidstart. On average it takes me 1-4 minutes to list a single card on turbolister and upload it on ebay. On bidstart I can list 4-10 cards in 1-4 minutes. Last night in about an hour I listed 53 listings some with multiple cards.

Need I say more?!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not all that impressed with bidstart. I used it for awhile and just didn't work. To sell commons I like using sportlots.com which is geared to the common market. Really unless you are selling in common lots on Ebay trying to sell in singles could get costly.

A thought for your lower end cards, say all your $1.00 cards. do one BIN auction @20 to list then let the buyer chose which card or cards he/she wants depending on how many they buy and offer reduced pricing on shipping. Also when cards are purchased you just revise your listing to show which cards are sold or just take them out of the listing. This way you have a continuous listing and you only get charged the 20 every 30 days.

RockyMtCollector
RckyMtCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

screamer uses bidstart as well as a couple of other members. Their director of marketing even has an account here and has posted from time to time. I'm all for another option when selling cards but the reality is that eBay can bring you millions of potential customers and their fees really aren't that bad for the amount of traffic that they provide. Personally, I think selling commons on any type of auction site is futile and a complete waste of time as unless you move a ton in volume you are just wasting money. I believe that sticking to a certain type of selling (for me it's mid to high end only) so I can offer free shipping and not worry about whether I am taking a hit on fees or shipping costs is really the way to go. Until bidstart can bring the amount of traffic I will stick to eBay.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
screamer uses bidstart as well as a couple of other members. Their director of marketing even has an account here and has posted from time to time. I'm all for another option when selling cards but the reality is that eBay can bring you millions of potential customers and their fees really aren't that bad for the amount of traffic that they provide. Personally, I think selling commons on any type of auction site is futile and a complete waste of time as unless you move a ton in volume you are just wasting money. I believe that sticking to a certain type of selling (for me it's mid to high end only) so I can offer free shipping and not worry about whether I am taking a hit on fees or shipping costs is really the way to go. Until bidstart can bring the amount of traffic I will stick to eBay.
Yeah, the thing that I think you don't understand about this site is all you have to do is create an Excel CSV file with all your auction info, upload that and the images with their bulk image upload tool. There is literally no overhead on the store. It costs me $10.00/month to have a featured store as well as 8 cents on the dollar to sell cards with no listing fees. I can't afford mid-high end sports cards and so far the common business is great for me. I love opening a box and selling everything. Base, inserts, parallels, you name it. So for time and money, Bidstart is the way to go.

I'm trying to get my own website off the ground, but that is going very slowly. If you can get a following, having your own website is the way to sell common cards.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sportlots is the king for people working on sets. When you can find 30+ million cards all organized with the set builder in mind, it will be hard for any other site to compete... including ebay or COMC. Set builders will always go to sportlots first, and since they will almost always find what they are looking for as far as commons go, they'll rarely end up buying anywhere else.

And for selling such low interest cards that are going to take a long time to sell, not many sites could beat sportlots fee structure either (absolutely no up front fees or store fees for anything for as long as it remains unsold on the site). There is absolutely no reason to pay any store fees or any kind of listing/processing fees to sell common cards.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Sportlots is the king for people working on sets. When you can find 30+ million cards all organized with the set builder in mind, it will be hard for any other site to compete... including ebay or COMC. Set builders will always go to sportlots first, and since they will almost always find what they are looking for as far as commons go, they'll rarely end up buying anywhere else.

And for selling such low interest cards that are going to take a long time to sell, not many sites could beat sportlots fee structure either (absolutely no up front fees or store fees for anything for as long as it remains unsold on the site). There is absolutely no reason to pay any store fees or any kind of listing/processing fees to sell common cards.
Sportlots confuses me to no end. I can't understand how to list cards on sportlots at all. Also, there is no way to differentiate between your card and someone else's. The only thing you can go by is if you have the only card of that type, or if you put your price down to .10. When I sell something I like to add my personal touch to it, and bidstart allows me to do that.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post

You hit the nail on the head with this one!! I absolutely love them and listing is soooo easy!!! You pick the set you want to add, say how many cards you have and update!!! No muss no fuss !!!

RockyMtCollector
RckyMtCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtCollector View Post
You hit the nail on the head with this one!! I absolutely love them and listing is soooo easy!!! You pick the set you want to add, say how many cards you have and update!!! No muss no fuss !!!
The system is a little old though and confusing to learn. If they added CSV uploads that would help them out a great deal.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Ben,
Your store fee on bidStart is waived right now so there's no fee at all to list. And for having your own website; that's what bidStart is allowing you to do. All your stuff is listed with your selling rules and now you have a place to direct traffic to your stuff... Works great for me
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Remember guys, growing a category takes a mutual effort. I have a postcard here from ebay after quite a while of them being in business and it's celebrating them "Now with over 500,000 listings!"

People make the mistake of assuming that just because something is one way today that it'll be that way forever. There were no alternatives to ebay in the day and thus it became huge.

Here's a reality: We're bigger than they are in stamps. How'd that happen? With the help of the stamp community that wanted a real alternative. As another example, we're now just behind them in postcards after just over a year of effort there. How? Because the bigger postcard sellers got fed up and worked with us to create the opportunity and now it's paying major dividends. Just hung up with one of those sellers who sold 38,000 cards with us last year for over $200,000 and that's more than on any of his other sites.

It can happen but it doesn't happen magically. The tools are here. Have any of you considered newsletters? They work. Well. Ask Walt from Mavmil how he sells solidly on bidStart when there's so little sports traffic right now. He does it with newsletters. It's like an instant cash button for him. Send a newsletter, collect the money. Clean, simple and fast.

If you just want to show up, throw up some cards and magically expect the same results as ebay then we can't help. That's just not realistic at this point. Maybe in a few years just as it happened in our other categories.
856-857-1777
bidStart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Ben,
Your store fee on bidStart is waived right now so there's no fee at all to list. And for having your own website; that's what bidStart is allowing you to do. All your stuff is listed with your selling rules and now you have a place to direct traffic to your stuff... Works great for me
Really? I paid my first bill already with paypal. I'm not sure where you are getting this from. By the way, the reason for my own site was so I can sell even cheaper cards than paying fees would allow. My goal is to have a place where I can sell .05 90s commons and modern stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidStart View Post
Remember guys, growing a category takes a mutual effort. I have a postcard here from ebay after quite a while of them being in business and it's celebrating them "Now with over 500,000 listings!"

People make the mistake of assuming that just because something is one way today that it'll be that way forever. There were no alternatives to ebay in the day and thus it became huge.

Here's a reality: We're bigger than they are in stamps. How'd that happen? With the help of the stamp community that wanted a real alternative. As another example, we're now just behind them in postcards after just over a year of effort there. How? Because the bigger postcard sellers got fed up and worked with us to create the opportunity and now it's paying major dividends. Just hung up with one of those sellers who sold 38,000 cards with us last year for over $200,000 and that's more than on any of his other sites.

It can happen but it doesn't happen magically. The tools are here. Have any of you considered newsletters? They work. Well. Ask Walt from Mavmil how he sells solidly on bidStart when there's so little sports traffic right now. He does it with newsletters. It's like an instant cash button for him. Send a newsletter, collect the money. Clean, simple and fast.

If you just want to show up, throw up some cards and magically expect the same results as ebay then we can't help. That's just not realistic at this point. Maybe in a few years just as it happened in our other categories.
Thanks so much for responding to my thread. That is why I have been advertising your site through my store on twitter and giving you props here. Your bulk lister has saved me about 5 hours of work an evening. It takes me 30 minutes to list cards that usually takes about 3 hours for me to do on ebay. Also, your fee structure saves me a great deal of money. I really appreciate that you don't charge listing fees. Listing fees is what killed me on ebay and is what is driving me to your site. On ebay I would pay .20 just to list a BIN O.B.O. not to mention .30 in FVF fees, and .10 paypal fees. So now all I'm left with is the .08/$1.00 card fees on your site. You have provided me a way to sell.

I want to encourage you to give it time. It will grow. I noticed how checkoutmycards grew really big simply by adding all their products to google products and then got indexed on other sites. If you aren't on google products right now I'd highly suggest having a feature where the customer's auctions can be featured there. I am still waiting on my first sale, but have spent an hour or two listing 150 cards or so. Thanks for doing what you are doing and thanks for giving us another option besides ebay. It is well worth checking Bidstart out!

Last edited by benshobbies; 08-02-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Really? I paid my first bill already with paypal. I'm not sure where you are getting this from.
Screamer is speaking of the "standard store front" didn't say that you did the feature or premium store deal?
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
Screamer is speaking of the "standard store front" didn't say that you did the feature or premium store deal?
Yeah, missed that; PM Rich and ask for a waiver on the $19.99 subscription. This store has a newsletter feature that's been instrumental in the postcards and movie poster eBay sellers bringing thier buyers over to the site
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, missed that; PM Rich and ask for a waiver on the $19.99 subscription. This store has a newsletter feature that's been instrumental in the postcards and movie poster eBay sellers bringing thier buyers over to the site
I have a Featured store. I paid $10.00 for the option. Got my bill last week. I can't afford $20.00/month cause I don't know how much revenue willl actually come in.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rich will waive the $20 for a few monthes to give you a chance to try the newsletter. If you don't like it, you can easily drop it before there's a charge
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a Featured store. I paid $10.00 for the option. Got my bill last week. I can't afford $20.00/month cause I don't know how much revenue willl actually come in.
Maybe you can get that waived as well til there is more traffic flowing through. Wouldn't hurt to PM that Rich guy either way.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

If you sell just sports cards then you should not have a basic store fee at all. If you got one then it was an oversight and should not have been there. It can happen if you have other items in your store that are in our evolved categories like stamps or postcards.

If you opt for a store above that level then that's on you but, as others stated, I'll be more than glad to comp you the upgrade for a few months so that you can try it out. We ask that you give the newsletter feature a try in return as that's the core way to drive traffic to your store and help us to spread the word. If, after that, things are still slow then just drop back to the basic store (it won't hurt you) and that will be entirely free until such time as the traffic picks up.

PM me and I'll get you set up. I'll need your account name.
856-857-1777

Last edited by bidStart; 08-02-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Rich will waive the $20 for a few monthes to give you a chance to try the newsletter. If you don't like it, you can easily drop it before there's a charge
I think I'll pass. Thanks so much for the generous offer. I have my social networks to advertise on and as a personal preference, I like to email other people as little as possible. I receive newsletters from one business and I just toss em in the garbage before I look at them. They are always for stuff I never want.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I think I'll pass. Thanks so much for the generous offer. I have my social networks to advertise on and as a personal preference, I like to email other people as little as possible. I receive newsletters from one business and I just toss em in the garbage before I look at them. They are always for stuff I never want.
Ben,

Let me give you some stats as your viewpoint on this is shared by many but it doesn't apply here.

I used to be involved with a mass mailing client. They bought a million names and tried to sell them iPods. These companies live on .5 to 1.5 % success rates. They don't care if everyone else doesn't care.

Here's the main differences:

1. These are your customers. They know you.

2. They're collectors and collectors have a different mindset than others. They don't like missing deals or opportunities.

3. The newsletter is for things they care about.

4. We average an unsubscribe rate of 3% or less. Think about that one. 3% or less. For every 100 people that get the newsletter 3 unsubscribe and 97 continue to get it. That's unheard of in mass mailing and that's because of the items above.

5. We live now in the era of Groupon, Living Social, DailyDeals, etc. People are now opting to get daily newsletters from several sources. As long as it's for things they have some possible interest in it's viewed entirely different today than before.

Again, you don't know me but I'm not a fan of traditional mass mailings. Our sellers do these not because they work and because their customers have no issues with them.

I'm like you. I tend to unsubscribe from these and then I have to admit that I get a daily one about the Philly sports teams. I get a daily one from Woot and Living Social and I get others from other sources less often. Why? For all the reasons already stated.

All you'd need to do is come onto our forums and ask our sellers what they think of newsletters and how their customers respond to them and I'm certain you'll end up with an entirely different thought on them.
856-857-1777
Old 08-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Rich, There is one problem. I don't have any customers yet.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Now that one is one reason I'd agree with entirely for when a newsletter won't work.

Let's get that fixed ASAP!
856-857-1777