Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
The one problem with COMC is that you cannot message sellers. They leave their prices in the stratosphere, you can't offer under 50%.
I think those are both positives. The vast majority of messages sent to sellers in other places are negative anyway. If they want to be heard from they can do it in a place like this.

Your second point is what makes COMC the best of the best in my opinion. If I wanted to accept a lower price, then I would just lower my price. They must not care that their prices are in the stratosphere, or they would bring them down to earth. The absolute last thing that COMC needs to do is remove that limit. I would be the first seller to leave. All you would be doing is rejecting and countering lowball offers all day long.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
I think those are both positives. The vast majority of messages sent to sellers in other places are negative anyway. If they want to be heard from they can do it in a place like this.

Your second point is what makes COMC the best of the best in my opinion. If I wanted to accept a lower price, then I would just lower my price. They must not care that their prices are in the stratosphere, or they would bring them down to earth. The absolute last thing that COMC needs to do is remove that limit. I would be the first seller to leave. All you would be doing is rejecting and countering lowball offers all day long.
So you must not like selling cards?

Seriously, though, it's fine if you don't want to sell a card. One time I showed off a National Treasure Rodgers card I got for a pretty good price, and got offers that were double what I paid for it. Don't care, not interested in selling even at that high price. But you know what. I also didn't list the dang thing for sale on a site designed to sell cards.

I think its a fair assumption that if you list a card for sale, you are interested in selling it. Its fine if you don't want to fire sale it, but a person needs to be realistic with the market as well. If I have 1 complaint about eBay and COMC, its full of sellers who refuse to enter the 21st century. Yes, we know you used to be able to list cards at book value in your store and not budge, because that person had no access to the thousands of stores around the country. Well, now we do. You're competing with small shops all over the country. Now even a card out of /50 is easily accessible.

Pretending that you are interested in selling a card while sitting there with it priced twice book value is silly. In any case, that's a small point. I do understand that sellers have a right to sell for whatever they want no matter book value.

My main complaint was more that haggling involves finding a middle ground. Not raising your price over what it began at during the haggling process. That's just a punk move.
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
but if the price is $25, and they offer you $22, do you counter with $28? That has happened to me now, and it is really insulting. .
Works great with my kids....once I hypothetically offer $28, they cave and give me they $25 I originally wanted

Also works with bedtimes and the amount of broccoli they need to eat before they are excused from dinner
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
Works great with my kids....once I hypothetically offer $28, they cave and give me they $25 I originally wanted

Also works with bedtimes and the amount of broccoli they need to eat before they are excused from dinner
Perhaps. Interestingly, though, I am not your kid. I am also smart enough to see through what amounts to your blatant manipulative tactic, aren't I? Also your kids don't really have any choice. They'll eat their broccoli or they'll sit at the table for 2 hours. I on the other hand can walk away.

I really really doubt you would respond kindly buying a used car where the salesman pulled such a stunt on you. You'd walk away, and rightfully so.

This person, by doing so, lost the sale completely, and all other business I might have offered him for the rest of time and space. And your illustration really helps me with the point I want to make. You wouldn't try that on a face to face deal. Not if you wanted to retain your customers at least. There's a reason a lot of card stores went out of business, and it's not just the Internet, people. It's an antiquated system where the card owner used to hold parental-like power over the buyer. Now we are adults, and we can walk away and never buy from you again because we have the whole country's worth of stores to peruse.
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #30 (permalink)

Just my $.02, and obviously I'm a small time seller on the site, but why not offer your original price if it's fair? Like if you were selling for $10, the buyer offers $8, and it turns out the card is worth $15, why not counter with your original $10 price? If the buyers are as out to make a buck on a flip as you all seem to say they are then they will reject that $10 and then you can happily bump your price up to $15 without offending anyone.

I get a situation like Jetson's where he made a pricing error and the buyer saved his butt. But a lot of this other stuff seems to be nickle and diming - a $10 offer on a $15 card is what you might take someday anyways on a hot card...no need to re-price a card mid offer and ask for a higher price.
My Sportlots: http://tinyurl.com/m77weuc
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #31 (permalink)

I use COMC in a different way. I have yet to send in a single card to be added to the site. I just use COMC strictly for buying. I buy cards from most sports, most brands, just whatever I see thst I like. I have every intention of taking shipment of all these cards, but I will price them and 3x's what I paid for it, figuring if it doesn't sell, fine, I wanted the card anyway. If it does sell, how upset can I get that I tripled my money. To me its a win/win. Because of the higher prices, I don't sell a lot, but I'm not trying to sell, so that works for me, and I'd be there are others on the site that do the same thing
Washington Nationals Auto's
Mrpokey is offline   Reply With Quote