Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC buyers - thanks for helping me price

I love it when I have a card on COMC that has gotten hot and instead of someone buying it for my listed price, they send me an offer. When I get an offer, the first thing I am going to do is go to ebay to see what they have been selling for. I then go back to COMC and adjust my price to the current market price. I might counter offer with my original list price, if the difference wasn't dramatic or offensive. But seriously, if you see a good deal, just take it.

There are some people who actually make a lot of money in sportscards. They are the ones that see a good deal and don't hesitate to pull the trigger. Then there are the other 95% of buyers who want to know if they could save another dollar and miss out on those deals. . . . .

Rant completed.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you save $1 50 times, then you save $50
Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you pass on a card you need that is priced for $14 and the last two on ebay have sold for $20, then it costs you an extra $6 to buy that card.

And if you are a COMC seller, that $14 is really only worth $11.20 to you when compared to cashing it into paypal and buying that card on ebay, so it really costs you an extra $8.80.

If that happens 6 times, then it costs you $50

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

You forgot to factor in the savings with eBay bucks
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddearing View Post
If you pass on a card you need that is priced for $14 and the last two on ebay have sold for $20, then it costs you an extra $6 to buy that card.

And if you are a COMC seller, that $14 is really only worth $11.20 to you when compared to cashing it into paypal and buying that card on ebay, so it really costs you an extra $8.80.

If that happens 6 times, then it costs you $50
Face it, these offers don't want the cards, they just want to flip them. So if there is a card on ebay going for $20 and you have it for $14 on COMC, they'll offer you $7 or whatever to make it a decent flip. $14 isn't worthwhile so they'll move on if you don't accept.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Face it, these offers don't want the cards, they just want to flip them. So if there is a card on ebay going for $20 and you have it for $14 on COMC, they'll offer you $7 or whatever to make it a decent flip. $14 isn't worthwhile so they'll move on if you don't accept.
Smart person. the op doesnt understand other ways of using COMC to make money or collect.

The OP will still have a card selling for $20 bucks and the other "buyers" moved on and flipped cards over and over and over and over and made way more money then the $7 that the OP thinks the "buyers" lost out on.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with ddearing that offers often put me on notice of which cards I should raise my prices on. I don't mind at all. They are doing the market research for me. I think it's a little silly to bombard people with 50% offers on cards they just uploaded just so that you can reprice the card back to where the owner originally priced it. But other than that, keep the offers coming!
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

You are 100% right with this thread. Earlier in the year I bought a bunch of autos for $5 each with intent to flip them. In a hurry I price them at $.99 and low and behold and offer of $.75 on all of them. That offer saved me a $40 loss for which I am thankful.

Quote:
I love it when I have a card on COMC that has gotten hot and instead of someone buying it for my listed price, they send me an offer. When I get an offer, the first thing I am going to do is go to ebay to see what they have been selling for. I then go back to COMC and adjust my price to the current market price. I might counter offer with my original list price, if the difference wasn't dramatic or offensive. But seriously, if you see a good deal, just take it.

There are some people who actually make a lot of money in sportscards. They are the ones that see a good deal and don't hesitate to pull the trigger. Then there are the other 95% of buyers who want to know if they could save another dollar and miss out on those deals. . . . .

Rant completed.
Nice job insulting one of the largest and easiest to work with sellers on COMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
Smart person. the op doesnt understand other ways of using COMC to make money or collect.

The OP will still have a card selling for $20 bucks and the other "buyers" moved on and flipped cards over and over and over and over and made way more money then the $7 that the OP thinks the "buyers" lost out on.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

try and read the op post. he is insulting 95% of the buyers. go figure that one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
You are 100% right with this thread. Earlier in the year I bought a bunch of autos for $5 each with intent to flip them. In a hurry I price them at $.99 and low and behold and offer of $.75 on all of them. That offer saved me a $40 loss for which I am thankful.

Nice job insulting one of the largest and easiest to work with sellers on COMC.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
Somebody who makes this comment doesn't offend me. If anything it makes me feel a little pang of sorrow for those out there who make silly comments without having any idea what they are talking about. It also makes me wonder how long it would take h4auto to make $105,000. . . . . . .

But then again, who am I to speak since I don't understand the ways of using COMC to make money. . . . .

General Account Info
Items in Inventory 25,179
Total Book Value $88,493.75
Items w/o Book Price 357
Total Asking Price $45,380.55
Items w/o Asking Price 1,060
Items Not for Sale 11
Items Ready to Ship 11
Total Sales $105,853.44
Items Sold 118,246
Items Purchased 22,831
Items Added to the Site 122,587

Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

actually i was on my way on buying more then that but the shipping rates was killing me. I did this in THE FIRST 3 months as a member. Probably bought alot from you also. HAVE NOT bought in a LONG LONG LONG time.

Biggest buyers.
h4auto $37,887.75 2,854 $13.28 1/26/2009 $0.00 0

Sold alot more then $103,000 on ebay last year.

Just dont insult your customers............... Everyone has a different way of using COMC as a tool to make money.

Quote:
Somebody who makes this comment doesn't offend me. If anything it makes me feel a little pang of sorrow for those out there who make silly comments without having any idea what they are talking about. It also makes me wonder how long it would take h4auto to make $105,000. . . . . . .

But then again, who am I to speak since I don't understand the ways of using COMC to make money. . . . .

General Account Info
Items in Inventory 25,179
Total Book Value $88,493.75
Items w/o Book Price 357
Total Asking Price $45,380.55
Items w/o Asking Price 1,060
Items Not for Sale 11
Items Ready to Ship 11
Total Sales $105,853.44
Items Sold 118,246
Items Purchased 22,831
Items Added to the Site 122,587

Last edited by h4auto; 10-20-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't know why I am responding to this, but mistakes bother me and I would hate for someone to misunderstand.

You have purchased $37,000 of Book Value.
I have had actual sales income of $105,000. Those sales represent $418,000 of Book Value. Let's compare apples and apples.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I don't know why I am responding to this, but mistakes bother me and I would hate for someone to misunderstand.

You have purchased $37,000 of Book Value.
I have had actual sales income of $105,000. Those sales represent $418,000 of Book Value. Let's compare apples and apples.
Yup in 2 months and NOThing posted for sale, took eveything delivered. My sales is on ebay was way more then $105,000 last year.

You have a good thing going on COMC. But alot of people make way more then you & I do on these boards(flipping houses,cars,etc). I am not even the person you are ranting about in your OP, just letting you know alot of lurkers could be your potential customers.

If the shipping structure was alittle better, i probably would have bought as much as your sales.

I Did not flip on COMC as you can see by the stats i posted. So you will have better "stats" then i do. But i only did 2 months of serious buying on COMC, NO FLIPPING. (2,800 card delivered , NON for sale). I think Comc should want buyers that take cards and SELLERS ON COMC would like buyers like that. But by the sound of your posts, your way is the only way.

Carry on with your $100,000 in sales. Cause that is better then the $15,000 in fees i had to pay ebay last year.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

DDearing I agree that people are just too greedy when making offers whether Ebay or COMC. However I think the problem with COMC isn't peoples greed. COMC seems to have become just a big flipping site with fewer buyers than flippers. It is kind of like a Ponzi scheme were someone at the bottom is going to get stuck.

I can't even claim to have a 1/100 of your experience but I know I gave up on COMC because the flippers controlled the site. Every time I would sell a few cards I would list them lower than anyone else, sure enough I only got offers.

Every time I try to pick up a PC card of a hot player I look at COMC, sure enough some one has bought everything and priced 2X book. For example I looked for an Allen Craig BC colored refractor tonight, they were priced 2.5 times Ebay and double book.

COMC built a platform that is not buyer friendly for the average collector. Unless you keep all your cards on the site to flip you will get nickel and dimed to death. It just is not a buyer friendly site.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
DDearing I agree that people are just too greedy when making offers whether Ebay or COMC. However I think the problem with COMC isn't peoples greed. COMC seems to have become just a big flipping site with fewer buyers than flippers. It is kind of like a Ponzi scheme were someone at the bottom is going to get stuck.

I can't even claim to have a 1/100 of your experience but I know I gave up on COMC because the flippers controlled the site. Every time I would sell a few cards I would list them lower than anyone else, sure enough I only got offers.

Every time I try to pick up a PC card of a hot player I look at COMC, sure enough some one has bought everything and priced 2X book. For example I looked for an Allen Craig BC colored refractor tonight, they were priced 2.5 times Ebay and double book.

COMC built a platform that is not buyer friendly for the average collector. Unless you keep all your cards on the site to flip you will get nickel and dimed to death. It just is not a buyer friendly site.
I hope you appreciate the irony in the fact that you have 5 cards on the site, all of which are allen craig cards that you have listed above book price.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
I hope you appreciate the irony in the fact that you have 5 cards on the site, all of which are allen craig cards that you have listed above book price.
Yup. I started with $3 and I am trying to see how much I can turn it into by the end of the year.

Main reason for doing so is because I had $3 in my account and with their cash-out fee I would lose it all (though I just checked and it only seems to be $1 fee now).

I am not adverse to making money, I was attempting to explain my belief that COMC is for flipping not PC buying.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

I had several Allen Craig's for well below book value (including autographs), and even had the 2009 Chrome Refractor auto for sale for $15 for 2 months. I sold through them, and never had them over book or even at book, frankly my prices were really low and I let some sell cheap. The 2009 auto sold last night for $20. It still was 20% below book and if someone can get $25 or $30, more power to them. I bought it on COMC, for definitely less than what I sold it for not that long ago....on COMC, no shipping expense, no hassle with a seller, no potential sent in a PWE or dinged up.

I have to disagree completely that it isn't a buyer friendly site, I love buying on there and do so for sales and for PC/holding etc. In fact there was a 2009 Chrome Craig reg. auto listed last week at $8. I passed on it. Come to think of it, I bought some Allen Craig 2010 rookie stuff last night and it wasn't nearly close to book. You could have bought Matt Moore all day for pretty cheap, but if you start looking the day of/after his big pitching performance, of course you won't find too much that cheap. I have purchased many cards that go for much higher on Ebay than they are selling for on COMC...just as much as there are things listed higher on COMC than Ebay. I flip on there and I hold, so I know both ways of selling and I buy on there a lot...I am just glad I can do so.

Hopefully others can see how great it is once they really use it (and sure there are some flaws here and there like any business), but compared to Ebay...oh man, it isn't even a comparison. Night and day.
papercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

here is a nice lot to "flip" on COMC..............

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Yup. I started with $3 and I am trying to see how much I can turn it into by the end of the year.

Main reason for doing so is because I had $3 in my account and with their cash-out fee I would lose it all (though I just checked and it only seems to be $1 fee now).

I am not adverse to making money, I was attempting to explain my belief that COMC is for flipping not PC buying.
Oops I bought a few PC cards on there. I personally found it better & cheaper than ebay to find those certain PC wants for a fair shipped price but maybe I wrong here
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
Oops I bought a few PC cards on there. I personally found it better & cheaper than ebay to find those certain PC wants for a fair shipped price but maybe I wrong here
I certainly didn't intend to imply that people didn't or don't buy from COMC for their collection. I meant that I feel the majority of action on the site is flipping. This was caused by a flip friendly environment.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Just had the same thing happen to me this morning on some high end I priced last night. Tool sent me an offer at half my asking price so I checked on ebay to see what last one sold for on there. I had priced the card under the ebay last sold by $40....didnt realize that card sold for that much and it didnt have a book value on COMC. He could have had easy flip but wanted to get greedy....

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Not necessarily a mistake to accept a lowball offer. When Grabner went off last year, his Young Gun rookie was hitting $40 on eBay. I had four on COMC for $25 each. Got an offer for $20 each on all four. I could see that the eBay momentum was starting to wane so I took the offer.

I was into them for 50 cents each. That was a nice profit.

If you pass on a lowball offer and the momentum dies down, you lose what might be the best offer you are going to get. You can get the same card for $7-8 now.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Depends on who the card is...a hot rookie is one thing but a hof auto is another.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleys1 View Post
Depends on who the card is...a hot rookie is one thing but a hof auto is another.
Just happened today. Got an offer of $2 each for 4 James Neal rookies. It reminded me that he was off to a hot start. Checked eBay prices, card is closing for $8-11, which is above book. I had them available for $4. Repriced them to $8 and bought the last one for $5.99. Maybe I'll get stuck with them, but Neal is doing this without Malkin centering him.

I'm betting it runs to $20.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
As long as you counter with your original list price, that's cool. It's the same as simply turning down the offer with the option of buying at original price. But for the love of all that is good, DO NOT jack the price and counter at a higher price than the original price was. Not only is that highly insulting, would you pull that stunt on someone in person? I could see you saying the original price is firm, but if the price is $25, and they offer you $22, do you counter with $28? That has happened to me now, and it is really insulting. That seller? Yeah, I just offered his competitor more than $28. I will never even consider buying from him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
I agree with ddearing that offers often put me on notice of which cards I should raise my prices on. I don't mind at all. They are doing the market research for me. I think it's a little silly to bombard people with 50% offers on cards they just uploaded just so that you can reprice the card back to where the owner originally priced it. But other than that, keep the offers coming!
They are not doing the market research for you. When you field their offer, you check eBay to see if it is fair. You are still doing the market research, you are just being lazy and waiting until you get an offer for the card to do it instead of proactively adjusting your prices. Even doing this every few months would probably increase some of these sellers sales.

The one problem with COMC is that you cannot message sellers. They leave their prices in the stratosphere, you can't offer under 50%, even if the card is priced 3 times book value, and you can't talk to them.
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote