Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default odd payment request, ever seen this before?

A buyer won a $10 card from me:

2011 Topps Triple Threads Chris Sale White Sox RC Jersey Relic Auto 92/99 | eBay

I received a message from them about an hour later. All these messages took place in about 10 minute span of time:

"CAN I SEND $20 DOLLARS TO YOU BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE $10 DOLLARS TO SEND YOU AND YOU CAN REFUND ME THE $10 BACK IF THAT'S OK PLEASE MR ALEX AND DO I SEND IT TO CARDBOARDADDICT OR TO YOU PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP SO I CAN SEND THE MONEY OUT TO YOU TOMORROW IN THE MAIL THANK YOU."

I replied:

"I accept PayPal, money orders, cash, cashier checks, etc. I allow 14 days for payment, and can extend that if a buyer requests it. The sale price is $10. I do not understand what you are asking for, exactly?

Sincerely,

Alex"

They replied:

"MY QUESTION IS I HAVE A $20 DOLLAR BILL AND I DON'T HAVE ANYWAY TO GET IT BROKE INTO TWO TENS IS IT OK IF I JUST SEND YOU THE $20 DOLLARS AND YOU CAN REFUND ME THE $10 DOLLARS WHEN YOU SEND ME THE CARD THE SOONER I GET THE PAYMENT OUT THE SOONER YOU GET YOUR MONEY PLEASE MR ALEX."

I replied:

"I'm sorry but I cannot agree to those terms. The sale price is $10 and that is the amount I can accept, no more no less. If you prefer to cancel the transaction at this point, no problem I can send a cancel request right away. If you still want the card, great, please find a way to send $10. I prefer PayPal.

Sincerely,

Alex"

They replied:

"GO AHEAD THEN I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO FROM HERE ON OUT I WANT DO BUSINESS WITH YOU EVER AGAIN."

Then I immediately sent a cancel item request.

1st Edit: they sent another message after receiving my cancel item request:

I DID TO YOU LIAR AND YOU TOLD ME THAT YOU ACCEPT CASH THAT PROVES THAT YOUR A LIAR AND FOR THAT I WILL NOT CLOSE THIS TRANSACTION AND REPORT YOU TO EBAY AND LET THEM SEE THE MESSAGES WHERE YOU SAID YOU WOULD ACCEPT CASH AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT IT.

I did not respond to this message.

2nd Edit: the buyer did an "eBay User Information Request" on me, which basically gives them access to my Full Name, City and State, and phone number. I'm playing it cool, not responding at all. The buyer can of course pay for the item and then I'd send them their card. I'm kinda hoping they'll just get bored with me and move on.

3rd edit: buyer denied the cancel item request. Then I sent them a message in response to their last message above. My response was my invoice message:

"Thank you for the business! Please make payment within 14 days of the items end time. Additional cards on the same order SHIP FREE within that 14 day period. (pay highest shipping cost of any 1 item on an order, and the rest ship for free)

Sincerely,

Alex Lazarevich – cardboardaddict
710 W Washington St
Champaign IL 61820"

4th edit: buyer sent me another message:

"GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD YOU JUST LIED ON ME AND I PUT UP WITH THAT."

5th edit: buyer sent me another message the next day:

"I'M GOING TO SEND YOU THE $10 DOLLARS IN CASH FOR THIS ITEM OUT MONDAY AND THAT IS A PROMISE MR ALEX AND I'M SORRY FOR THE WAY I SPOKE TO YOU PLEASE FORGIVE ME."

I responded with:

"No worries. I'll ship out your card as soon as I receive the $10 cash.

Sincerely,

Alex"

6th Edit: I just got an email from eBay that the buyer tried to open an "item not received yet" on Oct 28th, which was the same night all this mess happened. eBay denied the case, because it is too soon to file one. Of course this is a delayed email from eBay, and the buyer has since apologized for the mess on the evening of Oct 28th. Still, I'm fully expecting a negative and 1 DSR's across the board. I'm fine with it, shouldn't hurt my top rated status and 20% discount. I can live with a negative where I didn't do anything wrong.

7th Edit: Buyer sent me $10 cash, very quick payment. I shipped the card the same day. Buyer then sent me a very nice message:

"THANK YOU MR ALEX AND IF I DON'T TO TALK YOU AGAIN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING."

Of course the buyer can leave any feedback they want, and I'm not sure what I'll get, I can live with it either way. But I think it's nice that this transactions has taken a turn for the better. I responded to the buyer with this message:

"Thanks for your kind message, enjoy the card, have a great Thanksgiving, and thanks for the business!

Sincerely,

Alex"

8th Edit: buyer received card, and left me positive feedback, and did NOT ding my DSR's. What an amazing turn of events. I have removed the block on this buyer. Everyone gets mad, everyone says stuff in the heat of the moment. But in the end this buyer paid fast, left feedback quickly, and also paid top dollar for the card in question. He even wished me a happy Thanksgiving. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do business with this buyer again.

Buyer is: super_auto_king

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 11-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

not really seems out there to me....the $20 is probably fake....
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

You did the right thing, but damn, you run into ALL the knuckleheads, don't you?

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

People keep getting stranger and stranger every day Mr. Alex. The fake $20 sounds about right though.
gergs1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just tell them you'll accept $20, then take that $20 to the bank and have them check it. If it comes back as fake you can take get those fools off the street by turning over their address to authorities.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

The $20 is fake and this is their way of laundering their money.

Tell him you don't have a $10 but your neighbor does and give him another address to send the $20 to. Let him know that once the $20 has been received and your neighbor gets the $10 broke into two fives because you owe him money, you will send out his card. Just mind f*ck this guy.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa

Last edited by marino5084; 10-29-2011 at 09:21 AM.
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

damn scammers
jova888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

What a dumb-arse. Wow. Pm me the eBay name if you don't mind. If you do mind, no problem, I understand.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

should've said $40
darealstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubs80 View Post
What a dumb-arse. Wow. Pm me the eBay name if you don't mind. If you do mind, no problem, I understand.
The eBay ID is at the bottom of the original post.

Buyer is: super_auto_king
Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
not really seems out there to me....the $20 is probably fake....
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post
The $20 is fake and this is there way of laundering their money.

Tell him you don't have a $10 but your neighbor does and give him another address to send the $20 to. Let him know that once the $20 has been received and your neighbor gets the $10 broke into two fives because you owe him money, you will send out his card. Just mind f*ck this guy.
Yup, this screams the $20 being a fake.

and you didn't lie, you will accept cash, you just wont give change. You should put that in parenthesis when saying you accept cash. next to cash put (no change will be given)

Last edited by dthimesch; 10-29-2011 at 09:23 AM.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

tell him to rip the twenty down the middle and you'll accept one half of it.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

sounds like a kid who isn't supposed to be spending money, honestly.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a reply back that you are going to contact his parents, I bet you get a quick response back
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've updated the original post with a new responses. It's taken a turn for the better, I hope.

I agree with those that think it's a young kid. This would be a heck of a lot to go through to launder money. And the language suggests a young person rather than a counterfeiter.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong. But if I were sent counterfeit currency from the buyer, I would take it to the bank to be examined. If the bank thinks it's counterfeit they would call the police and I would be arrested. I would then be released when I can prove that I received the counterfeit from someone else. But I'm pretty sure standard procedure is to arrest the person who first brings a counterfeit into the open. Sure I'd be off the hook with a clear record as soon as I can show them I didn't produce the bill. But it would be a waste of an entire afternoon, or day. Isn't that procedure with counterfeit bills? I asked someone at my grocery store once, and they told me that and they sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

Still, my overall eBay experience is positive. I've only run into a couple of weird transactions, and I've done thousands. So really, it's no skin off my back, doesn't bother me that much. eBay is still a great place to sell cards, that's for sure. However, I reserve the right to change my mind if I'm in jail next week for trying to pass a $10 counterfeit at the bank!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
I've updated the original post with a new responses. It's taken a turn for the better, I hope.

I agree with those that think it's a young kid. This would be a heck of a lot to go through to launder money. And the language suggests a young person rather than a counterfeiter.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong. But if I were sent counterfeit currency from the buyer, I would take it to the bank to be examined. If the bank thinks it's counterfeit they would call the police and I would be arrested. I would then be released when I can prove that I received the counterfeit from someone else. But I'm pretty sure standard procedure is to arrest the person who first brings a counterfeit into the open. Sure I'd be off the hook with a clear record as soon as I can show them I didn't produce the bill. But it would be a waste of an entire afternoon, or day. Isn't that procedure with counterfeit bills? I asked someone at my grocery store once, and they told me that and they sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

Still, my overall eBay experience is positive. I've only run into a couple of weird transactions, and I've done thousands. So really, it's no skin off my back, doesn't bother me that much. eBay is still a great place to sell cards, that's for sure. However, I reserve the right to change my mind if I'm in jail next week for trying to pass a $10 counterfeit at the bank!!!

Just think of the story you could tell though
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmag70 View Post
Just think of the story you could tell though
If they have internet in jail, I'd do a Blowout special high-end card give-away, prison style. Thing is I might be late on shipping the items out to ya...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

You wouldn't get arrested, but theyre required to confiscate the $20...
gr33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

This was the funniest thread that I have read all week. I am surprised that he did not ask you for your bank account number so he could make a direct deposit into your account from his account in Nigeria.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitomoka View Post
sounds like a kid who isn't supposed to be spending money, honestly.
yup he stole the 20 bill from his moms wallet and can not break it so he wants you to send the 10 back with the card. Why else? lol kids
Old 10-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

that's crazy.
killercards2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

I thought you had to be 18 to have an ebay account. They guy sounds like he's 7
Old 10-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33d View Post
You wouldn't get arrested, but theyre required to confiscate the $20...
In most situations, you will get a visit by the Feds. Just move on, anything to do with Feds is not a funny thing.
amazingpacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Haha Alex, nothing to worry about. You're taking a suspected counterfeit bill to be checked out at the bank, they won't detain you or slap cuffs on you for doing that. You're doing the right thing by doing that.

In fact, I get probably 1 or 2 bad notes a month when I am making my deposits for my shop. The bankers count everything up when I drop off my deposits & they can find them very easily while going through the money. It's bills that didn't strike me as odd at all & they just pick them right out & say they're fake. I don't get in trouble, they just hold them to the side & of course that bill is deducted from my deposit. So if you brought in a fake bill, they'd take it from you & you'd be out $20.

From there, they send them to the Secret Service (who investigates counterfeits) and they look for finger prints on the bills. When they find a pattern or matching prints that's when they find out who is making the bills.

I had a friend I went to high school with who actually got arrested by the Secret Service for counterfeiting bills. He would "wash" $5 bills and print them as $100 bills. They'd be the correct paper, but if you held them up to the light it would be an Abraham Lincoln watermark with all the correct $100 bill artwork printed. Anyways, long story short, he would take the $100 bills & go to the seedy part of town where they had guys selling roses or flowers at the intersections. He'd go at night, give the guy $100 bills for the flowers that cost $10, he'd get back $90 in real money to spend. He'd do this a few times a week to different vendors & have real cash. Well after a couple of months he had the Secret Service kick in his door & arrest him for counterfeiting. They are pretty good at tracking the people down so you have nothing to worry about, any business that brings in deposits comes across fake bills all the time.

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

sounds like a kid to me
mooney21 is offline   Reply With Quote