Blowout Cards Forums
Shop for NFL Draft Class of 2014 Nike Jerseys and New Era Draft Caps at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default what do you call the old jersey patches?

Back in the day, instead of true patches on jersey's, you had this paint-type crap that would be applied to the jersey to create the lettering and numbering on the uni.

Are swatches cut from those painted on type things truly called "patches", or is there some other name to them? They are not just simply "jersey" swatches because it's painted stuff on top of a jersey, but I'm not sure calling it a patch is fair either.

Any ideas?
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's generally accepted that they are called "patches". I'm not sure I agree, but I don't think there's any changing it at this point.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Let me preface this question with stating that I do not do basketball, but do they make cards with these types of "patches?"
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Let me show an example of a memorabilia card I'm talking about, this is one of my listings: 2009 UD Exquisite Fred Biletnikoff Raiders WR Game Used Triple Jersey Auto 23/25 | eBay

The real jersey is black, but these swatches have the silver paint stuff over the black jersey. I didn't feel right calling it a patch, but it is more than just a jersey, so I'm short changing myself calling it a jersey in the title. Looking at most other listings, seems like it's called a patch. But I'm just curious if there's some other term for that type of memorabilia.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

See post #2 above.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
See post #2 above.
Yeah, yeah, I hear you. I got dinged on a "item not as described" DSR because I called one of these things a patch. So I'm just doing some investigating of alternative names to call it.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

It is not "paint" but ink that was screen-printed onto the jersey. Making the description read "jersey w/printing" or something similar may get people to look closer. You could then explain how these are similar to todays patches in the description.
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alex,

I believe its called SILK SCREEN. When i have a jersey like this, i tend to use PATCH in the title but then in the description, I state something like "this is an old school Silk screen type patch,.."
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjscout View Post
Alex,

I believe its called SILK SCREEN. When i have a jersey like this, i tend to use PATCH in the title but then in the description, I state something like "this is an old school Silk screen type patch,.."

This statement would be the best to describe what you are looking for.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think I got what I needed. Thanks to all that responded.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am sorry that you got nailed with a low DSR when you had a clear picture of the card. There is no longer a need for anyone to take responsibility for their own actions.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

If it isn't literally a patch, you're best off not having the word "patch" in the title of an eBay listing. eBay can be very nasty about "keyword spamming", and something that is "like" something else is a keyword spam in their eyes.

I'm not sure why you would need to bother. You already have a hand-signed, game used jersey of a hall of fame super bowl champion numbered to 25. It's not like someone is searching the site for the word "silk screen" to find that sort of card. You'd be much better off with actual important keywords like "HOF" and "OAKLAND RAIDERS" if you're trying to attract interested buyers.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Incidentally, the very phrase "keyword spamming" is itself keyword spamming, since Spam is a registered trademark of the Hormel Corporation for a type of lunch meat.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
If it isn't literally a patch, you're best off not having the word "patch" in the title of an eBay listing. eBay can be very nasty about "keyword spamming", and something that is "like" something else is a keyword spam in their eyes.

I'm not sure why you would need to bother. You already have a hand-signed, game used jersey of a hall of fame super bowl champion numbered to 25. It's not like someone is searching the site for the word "silk screen" to find that sort of card. You'd be much better off with actual important keywords like "HOF" and "OAKLAND RAIDERS" if you're trying to attract interested buyers.
JUst to clarify- I never stated to put SILK SCREEN in the title. That could be used in the description. Of course no one would search for silk screen. THat term, would just be used to help buyers understand the type of card. These cards, because they are old, are IMO, the equivalent of today's so called patches and using the term "patch", with a description of the item is the best way to give the potential buyer the best possible description of the product. I beleive had Alex described the card in the auction, he would have had no issues. I cannot see how any reasonable person would report this as keyword spamming.

BTW- do you actually think HOF is a better keyword than patch??? HOF is used for everything...Plus, i would think the term PATCH gets searched more than HOF? OPinions?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

HOF is better than patch if this isn't a patch card, because Fred Biletnikoff actually is in the Hall Of Fame. If this is a patch card, then patch would be a better keyword, assuming you don't have room for both.

Silk Screen doesn't seem like a useful keyword for the title if nobody searches for it. It might be useful if "Silk Screened Patch" is the technical term for this type of card.

HOF is a useful keyword because some people search for HOF as an alternative to searching for each HOF'er individually. I agree that if it's a patch, then patch is a better keyword. But since the OP has already gotten bad feedback from a similar listing, I would be very wary of using it, unless it's something that 100% of collectors would agree is a patch.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
HOF is better than patch if this isn't a patch card, because Fred Biletnikoff actually is in the Hall Of Fame. If this is a patch card, then patch would be a better keyword, assuming you don't have room for both.

Silk Screen doesn't seem like a useful keyword for the title if nobody searches for it. It might be useful if "Silk Screened Patch" is the technical term for this type of card.

HOF is a useful keyword because some people search for HOF as an alternative to searching for each HOF'er individually. I agree that if it's a patch, then patch is a better keyword. But since the OP has already gotten bad feedback from a similar listing, I would be very wary of using it, unless it's something that 100% of collectors would agree is a patch.

I did not realize alex put silk screen in the title, but i think his new title is spot on. It allows him to use the term patch, and based on his definition and description, no one can really argue it. His issue before was because it was not described in the description. ( most likely a younger collector who does not realize old jerseys were made this way).

And I still think he will get more looks by using patch in the title than HOF. People tend to search for auto, patch, or auto patch much more than they search for HOF. Don't get me wrong, when i have room, i throw in HOF as well, but i think Patch is important as this is not just an ordinary jersey. A person truly interested in this card, should appreciate his description!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree that "patch" is far superior to "HOF" as a title keyword, and that both are better than "L@@@@K!!!!".

The only issue is if 100% of customers would agree that this is a "patch". Right now, you can lose Top Rated Seller status, and the resulting 20% FVF discount, and preferred placement in Best Match if just 1 customer out of 100 dings your "item as described" star.

Couple this with the fact that at least 1% of eBay customers are absolute morons, and there's a real hair trigger there.

Having the exact right keywords isn't too important here, since it's a fixed price listing. You'll have most customers with "Exquisite". It's not like an auction where you're trying to attract 2 interested buyers to duke it out in a bidding war.

If "silk screen patch" is the accepted term, then go with it.

Last edited by checkoutmydeals; 11-15-2011 at 10:28 PM.
checkoutmydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree that "patch" is far superior to "HOF" as a title keyword, and that both are better than "L@@@@K!!!!".

Where does MOJO fit in on the chart?
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Yeah, yeah, I hear you. I got dinged on a "item not as described" DSR because I called one of these things a patch. So I'm just doing some investigating of alternative names to call it.
If the one you got dinged for was a 1 color swatch of the number then the buyer may have taken it for granted that it was regular jersey stock and dinged you for thinking that you were merely keyword spamming outright, rather than using the term to cover silk screened numbers. Even with an official piece of 'patch', if it's just one color then some folks may balk at it being called a patch and not realize that a patch doesn't have to be the edge of a patch to still be a patch. I've never met a bunch of fussier ebayers than card collectors. I've experienced people being fussier over buying a $10 card than I have people buying vintage guitar amps for $500-$2000. It's amazing.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Been reading the thread with interest, thanks.

I've been struggling to find a business strategy in cards that makes a profit. Recently I've been doing better and I've got some new things to try, but it's usually been very important for me to keep the 20% eBay FvF discount from being a Top Rated Seller. When you sell 10K in cards a month that FvF 20% discount can save you $200+. So losing that isn't nothing to sneeze at.

I think I'll refrain from calling anything a "patch" unless it is a stitched multi-color patch from a modern jersey.

In my mind it comes down to this: the upside of getting more attention to a card if I call it a "patch" is not good enough to balance the downside of getting low DSR's for calling it a "patch".

Thanks for the all the ideas, really helps me.