Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC -- selling question

Looking to send card to this site, but having trouble looking to see what I can see are selling.. Anyone here selling, what type of cards sell?
sportsamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

They do not have anything to check like eBay with the completed listings. Stuff that is super hot will be easier to sell through eBay. COMC has been good to me for inserts/GU/auto stuff that is worth a few bucks but not worth listing on eBay.

The best advice I can give when first trying to decide what to send in is check and see if there is already the same stuff listed, see how many are listed and what prices are being asked. If there is already alot of them, decide whether the asking prices make sense after all fees are taken into consideration.
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with hhmag on what sells (inserts/gu/autos that don't sell on Ebay). I've listed stuff for .99 + $2 shipping on Ebay and gotten no bites, and then I've gotten $2 sold on COMC. I don't know if this will keep up once everyone starts sending in, but for now that's definitely the case.

One thing though: Current players or former superstars definitely hold the most weight. I had a Strasburg Auto and it sold very quick. But higher book value cards of scrubs from days gone by sold for 80-90% of book value. So consider that when you send in cards.

And for baseball, ARod/Manny Ramirez/Sosa/McGwire/Bonds/Palmeiro/Clemens are no gos for sending stuff in. If you look at the biggest discount cards and highest percent off cards, all the good deals are these dudes. People are not collecting/buying them...wonder why lol
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey, I'll take every ARod/Manny Ramirez/Sosa/McGwire/Bonds/Palmeiro/Clemens you own for 5% of book value. Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky, too.

If you see a card with many copies being offered for 90% or more off book value, the problem isn't that the card won't sell. The problem is the Beckett price is too high. Look at a set which is kind of scarce and desirable, but still readily available, like 1987 Topps Tiffany. Roger Clemens books for $10, and there are 17 copies on the site, priced as low as $1.49. Jamie Moyer books for $3, and there are 5 copies on the site, priced as low as $2.05.

The price guide is someone's opinion. The COMC price is reflective of market reality. The price guide says Clemens is worth more. The market says Jamie Moyer is worth more.

If Beckett wanted to reflect reality, they would study situations like this and reduce the price of the Clemens and probably increase the value of the Moyer. But Beckett has a tendency to phone it in. Once they set the price of a card, it usually stays fixed.

In point of fact, all of those guys you mention sell very well. But they sell very well at low percentages of book. If you forget percentages and just look at raw numbers, then you should submit the Clemens if you would be happy getting no more than $1.49 for it, and you should submit the Moyer if you would be happy getting no more than $2.05. If you would be ecstatic getting 1/2 of those prices, then definitely send them in. If you would lose sleep at double those prices, then send something else.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

As for which cards to submit, I would recommend starting with cards which book for at least $3, where the lowest COMC asking price is at least $1, and where you would be satisfied taking 1/2 of that, after accounting for submission fees, cash-out fees and storage fees. Once you get the hang of things, you might start submitting lower value cards or higher priced cards.

An important factor is, once you do sell, what are you intending to do with the money? Suppose you sell a card for $2, and you use the money to buy another card on COMC for $2. Do you personally value the card you got more than the one you gave up? If yes, then it was a good deal, regardless of percentages and original purchase cost.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also, if you're a first time submitter, they offer some sort of $20 off coupon for your first submission or something. Contact someone at COMC for details.