Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sportslots?

Anyone use this site? If so what's your feedback on it?
JasonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use it all the time and never have had a problem with a seller yet. In fact I have stopped trading for the most part, (sorry guys) because it really is cheaper and easier for finishing sets. I highly recommend it!!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've used it 3-4 times and have had a good transaction each time. Be prepared for cards to be shipped in a plain envelope (with a toploader), though, since S&H costs are very low.
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

As far as I'm concerned it's more important to have very low shipping costs since I'm only buying base and cheap inserts to complete sets. It seems like it is a great way to complete sets cheap. I'm curious though about selling. My lcs is willing to buy my base for pennies but I'm wondering if it's worth while to sell base on their or not?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

You have to sell at least $25 worth a month to make it worth your while. Otherwise the fees gouge you. Check out the seller fees
DawgFight24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I buy on there anytime I can't trade for what I need. I think I have only had a problem one time and NOTHING could have prevented it. (My mail was on a postal truck that crashed and caught fire!) I actually did get what was left of my package in the mail about two months later...
Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like it, never had a problem!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I love it, there are sellers who have alot of stuff for really cheaper than SV.
petyparamoreAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

i find that its good for base cards, but inserts still seem overpriced to me atleast for the sets im building...i seem to get better prices on comc for the inserts on average but sportslot is a good alternative
dooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have been selling on Sportlots for over 7 years with 700+ feedback. Great place to sell if you have A LOT of cards or RARER cards that are not on the site already. Fees can take a lot of profit if you don't sell at least $25 worth of cards a month. But then again, even if you don't reach $25, you are still selling cards that would otherwise be sitting in your closet collecting dust.

You can now choose between 'Budget' and 'Premium' shipping. That way if you don't want your card to arrive in a PWE you can pay extra.

Auctions are underrated as well, good selection and base of bidders.

Sportlots - No Min Bid Auctions!
Bounty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

great! Thanks for the help. I doubt I'll sell anything on there but I will definitely become a buyer!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Buying on there has worked out well for me, I've finished lots of sets on there. but as others have said, you need to move a decent amount of cards to get the lesser discounts, but for buyers its a pretty nice site!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Got majority of my 1 1/2 Mayo mini sets there, no problems.
Some of the seller I bought from with good service and cards:
Cogrinch, Heckner1, Shifter2 and Bosfan30
papajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
As far as I'm concerned it's more important to have very low shipping costs since I'm only buying base and cheap inserts to complete sets. It seems like it is a great way to complete sets cheap. I'm curious though about selling. My lcs is willing to buy my base for pennies but I'm wondering if it's worth while to sell base on their or not?
I am a seller on there and have purchased a number of cards as well. On the selling side, it seems like you need to have a lot of stuff to make it worth while, particularly stuff other people don't have. I've had a lot of success with Short Prints and cheap inserts. Base cards have not sold too well for me when I have tried them, mainly because so many other dealers also have the same cards they can get lost in the shuffle. But I look at base cards as being extra sales anyway and don't depend on them. My fees usually end up being in the 18-22% range. To me, that is acceptable to not have to pay listing fees, especially on the stuff that doesn't sell month to month. However, unless you have enough inventory to generate at least $25, and better yet $100 in sales per month, the fee structure would make it hard to justify it. But you basically have no risk in trying it other than giving away what you might sell the first month or two for very little money. I was skeptical before I began, but I've always managed to hit triple digits in sales since the very first month I signed up so its been well worth my time.

On the buying side, just be sure to check each seller's S&H rate table page. You will find the S&H rates differ widely, especially when it comes to 1 card being shipped or large lots being shipped. Some of the dealers will describe their shipping practices on that page too under the 'additional notes' section. Those that don't specify and have very low S&H rates you can bet will be using PWE's, so beware if you only like receiving bubble mailers. I personally only use bubble mailers, so there are definitely a number of dealers that you don't have to worry about PWE's when ordering.

The site navigation from a buyer standpoint could be better. Its downright confusing and difficult to navigate at times. But there is a ton of inventory there and its a really good site to finish sets or fill-in gaps in your collection. From a selling standpoint they make it VERY easy to load your cards, especially if you are loading multiple cards from the same set. It may take you a little while to get used to things, but once you do you can list in a hurry.

I'd definitely recommend the site to buy, and if you have the inventory and are willing to put in the time and devote the storage space in your home to sell on there I'd definitely recommend that too.

Last edited by ohiomike; 03-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for the post ohiomike that was very helpful. I think I'm going to start out as a buyer only. I have a deal with my lcs to buy my base cards and worthless inserts so there's really no point trying to sell. I have also found it a little confusing from a buyers standpoint to figure out shipping fees and trying to purchase as much as possible from the same buyer to lessen the fees. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Does Sportlots still exist ?
kairi-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

yes................
Old 12-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

thanks mate...
kairi-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

I used to use sportlots a lot, but I have placed maybe 1 or 2 orders over the past couple years. I had way too many instances of buying a card that was listed as a parallel and the wrong version of the card would arrive. Sellers were often unresponsive, and sportlots "customer service" was of little help, since it ended up being cheaper to just take a loss on the card than it would cost to return the card and get a refund through their process.

It can be a great resource for completing sets or finding some cheaper parallel cards, but COMC has largely filled that void for me, and done so exponentially better. Sportlots antiquated search feature is also almost unbearable at this point for me, and has definitely been a major factor in losing my business.

I looked into selling there recently, but the fee structure didn't look like something that would work for the inventory I'm trying to sell. I think the site was a great resource 5-6 years ago, but changes in the hobby have passed them by while they have done little to nothing to keep up.
stc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Like Ohiomike, I have been a seller on there for a few years under the handle cb134232. His remarks are pretty much spot on.

If you are looking to sell for the first time and are afraid of taking a hit on the fees because you cannot get enough of your inventory up fast enough, then try going in vacation mode right from the start. Buyers may not be able to see your cards right away, but you can list your cards over a period of a few weeks without having to worry about potentially getting hit with 50-75% fees due to low sales.

I was approaching 100,000 cards on the site but have begun a weeding out process of the low-end stuff that would rarely sell due to overpopulation or a general lack of interest. Try to avoid most cards from 1985-95 unless they are true oddballs or are have a relatively decent demand, like 1992 Bowman.

I am also going to be pulling most of my commons from the last 3 or 4 years due to overpopulation. If you are not on the first page of a listing, chances are the buyer is not going to see your card unless he/she is in your home page and cutting down on shipping charges by buying in bulk from you. For example, with most 2013 Bowman cards having several hundred of each, your odds of selling a common is virtually zero since you will be at the bottom of the listing on a given price point.

Rookies, inserts, short-prints and pre-1980 cards, if priced properly for condition, tend to sell the best.

If you decide to eventually sell, remember that it costs nothing but your time to list. Have a listing plan going in and be organized. Know exactly how you are going to store things. I keep things in year and set order as Sportlots has their sets listed. I have found that a far easier way to manage things than anything else I have tried.