Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC and Amazon listings so far

Anybody else using the sell on Amazon feature on COMC? What have you seen for sales thus far? Mine have been on for about a week now and so far I have had two sales through that feature. One card for $1.60 and the 2nd for $0.20.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1

Last edited by kelleys1; 12-02-2011 at 07:54 AM.
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to yazevans

No sales from Amazon yet, and been on for a little over a week as well, though I can't say exactly when they uploaded to Amazon since they were I know they were backlogged.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think I have sold 4 cards on there so far. I hope they come up with a way to boost Amazon sales. One thing that comes to mind is having bigger pictures of the cards on the site. It's annoying when you click on "See larger image" and still get the same tiny picture.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've had 11 Amazon sales (compared with 440 COMC sales in the same time period). This included a 1960's Batman card, a Harry Potter insert card, some Alpha Magic The Gathering cards, some 1970s basketball, 1970's baseball, a memorabilia card, an a Topps archive reprint of a 1950's Willie Mays card.

I've been selling on Amazon for a few years now, and have generally been pleased with the results. The customers on Amazon are different than the customers on eBay or COMC, so you can expect to sell different stuff. Also, they tend not to be as condition sensitive, though I'm concerned that some of my vintage stuff with obvious imperfections in the COMC scan might have been listed as "like new" by default by the COMC bot. (I've noticed that lately, COMC is much pickier about adding condition notes, possibly because they were anticipating this sort of move).

The players that sold tended to be players that normal people may have heard of, but that wouldn't fly out the door on COMC. Fernando Valenzuela, Steve Garvey, Ron Boone, Derek Fisher, Willie Mays. This is consistent with my experience selling comic books on Amazon, where titles like Rocketeer and Krypto The Superdog would do better than they would on eBay.

At some point, I think it is possible that a large chunk of COMC sales (possibly 1/4 to 1/2) will be on Amazon, or at least, 1/4 to 1/2 of the cards that are shipped (as opposed to flipped).

I only scanned the COMC listings briefly, but I was also concerned that it appeared that they were creating brand new listings for each copy of a card they were selling on Amazon (instead of creating one listing, only if there was no listing for that card on Amazon, and then populating that listing with no duplicates, unless there are 2 different conditions of the same item). This also screws up your search ranking, since no listing will ever reach the bestseller list when you only ever listed a single item on it and there is no sales history for the listing unless an item sold from it.

The COMC listings also weren't optimized for keyword searches. Putting words like "baseball card" in the listing title is helpful. Amazon has a very clumsy search engine, so keywords are much more important than they are on eBay or COMC.

Also, as someone noted, I was disappointed that the pics were small thumbnails instead of full size pics.

In general, it's a very exciting opportunity. Something like 1/3 of all items sold online are sold on Amazon, and if COMC can establish a toe hold on that site, the sky is the limit.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Great insight and thanks for the feedback. In fact the 2 cards I sold were not what I would have thought would sell first...one was of venzuela. I agree about it opening up a great opportunity for sellers on comc if handled correctly.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote