Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Steve Carlton Signing

I'm sure most people won't care about this post but it will at least make me feel good that I put this out there so here goes..... Steve Carlton was the headliner at or show in Cincinnati this past weekend. I sit with the headliner at each show an absolutely LOVE IT! It is a blast to sit and talk with these guys. Most guys are great and you know they are going to be great. But this was different. When I knew I was going to be sitting with Steve Carlton I didn't know what to think. I would be sitting with him 3 hours Saturday and 3 more hours on Sunday. Well based on stories that are passed around I had the impression that he would give me a run for the money due to the perception of him not being the friendliest person. HE WAS AWESOME! Great guy, definitely a different guy but he was great the whole time. He even stood up and showed some kids that came straight from a game some technique tools and ways to train your arm. He was great telling stories and talking about the mechanics of pitching as well as the differences between pitchers then and today's pitchers.
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default I've met a lot of fiesty guys...

Sometimes guys reputations are generalized. He didn't care for the media and they may have ticked him off years ago. Most retired players are a blast to chat with. They like regular people. If you had a microphone and recorder it may have been a different story.

Best Always,
Vinny
Guitars, fishing, and trading cards, safer than a lot of other habits. If I post a pic of a player, I took it. I may not be the oldest member here but I paid $8. an auto and shook Joe DiMaggio's hand at the Armenian Church in NYC once.
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its funny you say that because one of the things that he said was the media wasn't good to him so he said screw it and stopped talking. At one point one of the local news crews came out to cover the signing. The camera man came up and asked him if it was okay to tape him signing a few things. He asked to make sure they didn't want an interview. They said nope just to tape. So he told the guy to get the camera out and start rolling. Camera guy got all set up and we were at a slow point during the signing. So Steve Carlton starts yelling who wants to be on the news?! Come line up and act like you want my autograph so it looks good!
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wished you had mentioned that you had him signing at your show. I would have drove down there to have him sign.....loved the old Phillies with Him, Schmidt, and Tug. Would have been worth the drive.

If you can, let us know when your having signers. Don't usually drive that far for a show, but that would have been worth it.

Glad it was a good time. Always respected his play.
Magicman32 is offline   Reply With Quote