Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

View Poll Results: How long until opening a case?
Less than a Week 21 51.22%
Between 1-2 Weeks 18 43.90%
Over 2 Weeks 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation How long before opening an unpaid item case on eBay?

As a seller on eBay, how long do you wait before opening an unpaid item case with eBay? I personally send an invoice a day after the auction ends if I haven't already received payment, then every 4-5 days after that. If I don't receive any payment or contact from the seller, I open a case after 2 weeks. Usually if the buyer has solid feedback, I give them a little more wiggle room. My fear is always pissing off the buyer and getting undeserved low DSR ratings out of spite.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have it automatically set up to start at 4 days, and they get 4 more from there. 8 days total. More than enough time. I have it spelled out right in my auction listings:

"Buy it now option will require you to make payment immediately, otherwise you will have 8 days total to pay before ebay issues a non payment strike as per my note below. If you cannot pay or do not intend to pay please do not bid/buy.

Ebay will automatically file a non-paying bidder dispute after 4 days if payment has not been received during that time frame."
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

7 days. On the 7th day I open a case.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
As a seller on eBay, how long do you wait before opening an unpaid item case with eBay? I personally send an invoice a day after the auction ends if I haven't already received payment, then every 4-5 days after that. If I don't receive any payment or contact from the seller, I open a case after 2 weeks. Usually if the buyer has solid feedback, I give them a little more wiggle room. My fear is always pissing off the buyer and getting undeserved low DSR ratings out of spite.
That last sentance is why i wait a while as well to open a case. The last two times I opened a case (one is a member on here) both dinged my DSR's for no reason. So i try to give buyers the benefit of the doubt.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I send an email after 4 days to the buyer, politely asking for payment. By day 6-7, if you get no response an unpaid item case is warrented in my opinion.
Astronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronix View Post
I send an email after 4 days to the buyer, politely asking for payment. By day 6-7, if you get no response an unpaid item case is warrented in my opinion.
This is EXACTLY what I do. Send a polite email on day 4 asking for a status on payment, and then if they do not contact me or give me a update eI open a case on day 7
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nyisle

I have it set up for the 4 day payment... I also check their feedback and profile. if they have a high rating I give a little extra time. Ebay automatically sends an invoice once they win. I will send out my first invoice on day 4. Usually wait a day or two, depends on the price of the card and how badly I want to get rid of it Once you open the case, I believe you still have to wait another 7 days before you can close the claim... so the buyer still gets close to 2 weeks before they really have to pay.
nyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
I have it automatically set up to start at 4 days, and they get 4 more from there. 8 days total. More than enough time. I have it spelled out right in my auction listings:

"Buy it now option will require you to make payment immediately, otherwise you will have 8 days total to pay before ebay issues a non payment strike as per my note below. If you cannot pay or do not intend to pay please do not bid/buy.

Ebay will automatically file a non-paying bidder dispute after 4 days if payment has not been received during that time frame."
This is the perfect answer.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

ebay's star rating system is a joke, I too have been dinged over what u all discussed, and over charging the standard $3 for shipping, ebay tells me to just offer free shipping, yeah thats the answer when u sell a card for .99 or 1.88, just lose money on every sale....but I swear some buyers just bang u a 3 or 2 star cuz they don't like paying shipping, maybe I'm wrong but seems like it.
Stop Givin Ebay your money/power,we can do this by ourselves & all make more $. If its close within $5 choose the guy here,let him know,form a relationship, next time maybe he cuts u deal. Jeff Janis fanclub! IF U mention ebay trying to buy my stuff and I don't know u...IGNORE LIST
tlvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I used to wait 7 days but with the volume im doing now with auctions Ive changed to 5 days. Currently have 15 different buyers who ive have to file on in the past week
KEARYCOLBERT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am about to open one today for nonpayment after 8 days. The buyer has a rating of a 0
ccal7593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

I wait one week.

Right now, I'm closing one. I had 4 in 12 months.
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

automatically starts one after 4 days..then they have until the case processs is paid for or closes lol
jerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

exactly 96 hours, i always put it in the item description
Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Anybody else seeing a lot more non-payers lately? It seems like it's about 5 % of buyers now aren't paying.
SunDevil2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil2422 View Post
Anybody else seeing a lot more non-payers lately? It seems like it's about 5 % of buyers now aren't paying.
had a bunch lately too. Been meaning to try out collectors revolution, not a big fan of ebay's system and fee's. they knocked me down to 35 free listings a month because a few people gave me low stars for shipping, I have no recourse to find out even who or what the issue was, maybe they hit the wrong star when they clicked? I'll never know, or like I said maybe they just don't like paying $3 for shipping...all I know is I have close to 200 feedback all glowing positives and 52 on here and ebay has treated me like a crooked scumbag
Stop Givin Ebay your money/power,we can do this by ourselves & all make more $. If its close within $5 choose the guy here,let him know,form a relationship, next time maybe he cuts u deal. Jeff Janis fanclub! IF U mention ebay trying to buy my stuff and I don't know u...IGNORE LIST
Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was about to post a thread about this - had an eBayer commit to purchasing a card last Thursday (19th) and I still haven't received payment as of today.
MMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default question about non payers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMguy View Post
I was about to post a thread about this - had an eBayer commit to purchasing a card last Thursday (19th) and I still haven't received payment as of today.
What is the ebay punishment system for people not paying? I wouldn't know cuz I always pay, does anything happen to them?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvincent View Post
What is the ebay punishment system for people not paying? I wouldn't know cuz I always pay, does anything happen to them?
I'm not sure either - first time this has happened to me since I started selling on eBay this month.
MMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
The buyer suppose to get some "tickets" or "red cards" or unpaid strikes (eBay name for it). It suppose that they "limit" your account after getting a bunch, but I'm not sure if it really works because I add all the non-payers to the blocking list.

Check:
eBay's Unpaid item policy
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure per eBay rules the buyer has 7 days to pay, so if a case is filed befor the begging of day 8 a seller is technically breaking the rules and I think this allows the seller to be subject to lower ratings. I wait the full 7 days. I hate it when people don't pay within 24 hours!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw9356 View Post
I'm pretty sure per eBay rules the buyer has 7 days to pay, so if a case is filed befor the begging of day 8 a seller is technically breaking the rules and I think this allows the seller to be subject to lower ratings. I wait the full 7 days. I hate it when people don't pay within 24 hours!
No, the minimum is 4 days to pay, then you can open a case. Then it's another 4 days before you can close the case. I give 7 days to pay before I open a case, but that is firm. As far as punishment for non-payers, as a seller you can set bidder requirements for your auctions. Mine are set so that if a bidder has 2 or more NPB strikes in the past 6 months, they can't bid on my auctions.

What I wish eBay would do, since sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers, is for eBay to leave a negative feedback for the buyer's account when a NPB strike is leveled against an account. Sellers would have no hand in it, just have it came straight from eBay announcing the NPB strike. That might get the buyer's attention.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

I will be opening a case on a buyer after 7 days tomorrow. Sold an item on 9/18. I sent the dude a message on 9/20 because he/she hadn't paid and I was headed to the post office the following day...told them I'd love to get their cards out. Heard nothing.

Then, two days (9/22) later I noticed they had purchased an item the day after the bought my listing (using buy it now)...and HAD PAID FOR IT ALREADY. I sent a polite message requesting payment since I saw they had bought an item after mine and paid for it already.

Still heard nothing. Very frustrating.
Box Break Blog: http://bluffcityboxbreaks.blogspot.com
jmmintz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvincent View Post
had a bunch lately too. Been meaning to try out collectors revolution, not a big fan of ebay's system and fee's. they knocked me down to 35 free listings a month because a few people gave me low stars for shipping, I have no recourse to find out even who or what the issue was, maybe they hit the wrong star when they clicked? I'll never know, or like I said maybe they just don't like paying $3 for shipping...all I know is I have close to 200 feedback all glowing positives and 52 on here and ebay has treated me like a crooked scumbag
I have over $130,000 US in Sales on eBay. I cannot list more than 65 listings a month because, according to FeeBay, I have too many low DSR's for shipping. In 12 months I have 1286 Sold transactions and have 10 low DSR's for shipping. They told me to ship for free too? These morons think that Buyers are gold. I told them that it is a joke that we cannot leave negatives for Buyers anymore. Some of them just want to leave low DSR's for no reason except to piss the Seller off. I have had over 70 cases opened this year alone from non-payers. EBay does nothing. In MyEbay under account, hit Preferences; Unpaid Item Assistant; Show; Edit; Yes I want Unpaid Item Assistant to open and close cases on my behalf. and choose a time period. You have nothing else to do, eBays Unpaid Item Assistant will do everything. Non Payer cannot leave negative feedback or DSR's after getting an Unpaid Item Strike. Make sure you put in all of your auctions PAYPAL PAYMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN THREE DAYS. IF THE PAYMENT IS NOT MADE, AN UNPAID ITEM CASE WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE OPENED BY EBAY AND POSSIBLE SANCTIONS AGAINST THE BUYER
QuiteSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmintz View Post
I will be opening a case on a buyer after 7 days tomorrow. Sold an item on 9/18. I sent the dude a message on 9/20 because he/she hadn't paid and I was headed to the post office the following day...told them I'd love to get their cards out. Heard nothing.

Then, two days (9/22) later I noticed they had purchased an item the day after the bought my listing (using buy it now)...and HAD PAID FOR IT ALREADY. I sent a polite message requesting payment since I saw they had bought an item after mine and paid for it already.

Still heard nothing. Very frustrating.
THAT happens all the time, then they get pissed off because you checked their feedback and saw they paid someone else while you are waiting. It is selfish and idiotic that these morons are allowed to continue to purchase when they pull crap like that.
QuiteSomething is offline   Reply With Quote