Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhiggs View Post
Selling or buying? I talked to a guy who said he made 25k last year. He opened 10 cases of bowman chrome between him and another guy and sold every card individually.
I know of guys who do fairly well. Key thing is to list everything you have. You would be surprised how listing cards for sale ranging from 1.00 to 5.00 adds up, outside of your bigger sales. Oh yeah, as mentioned before, buying smart and in volume is important.

Internet tough guy Will Watson is my #1 fan!!
THE(NEXT)LEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE(NEXT)LEVEL View Post
I know of guys who do fairly well. Key thing is to list everything you have. You would be surprised how listing cards for sale ranging from 1.00 to 5.00 adds up, outside of your bigger sales. Oh yeah, as mentioned before, buying smart and in volume is important.
thats the thing. Even my PC cards their is a price Im willing to sell for. Although most of the time people wont pay what Im asking. Sometimes they pay far more. Im too tired from working full time though to be serious
limitedplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derium View Post
you're dead wrong. While it's true I pay around $600 a week in eBay fees, that's a good thing. it means I'm selling that much stuff.

You have to keep in mine if you do eBay full time, this means you need to register it as a business. What's that mean? Oh yeah, getting all your product at cost. So we crack our product cheaper than most people, and we have an outlet to sell even the junk cards.

An eBay business is easier then you think. I spend most of my time working at the Brick and Mortar and we keep the eBay around where my wife can handle all the shipping (and a new part timer).

The best part of an eBay store? YOU control how much business you do and how much you make. Selling too many auctions? Then stop listing, need more money? Invest into more products ect. Not saying we are striking it rich, but we are making really good money.

Would it be considered rude if I posted a screenshot of how much in sales me and the wife do while owning an eBay business pretty much for fun?

EDIT

Sorry if I come across as a jerk here, I just hear people in my shop all day long talk about they wish you could make money on eBay. I tell people at least 5 times a week you CAN. The main reason you can? Is people 99% of the people think you can't make money, so they do not try. Therefore you have less people doing it. If everyone had an eBay store there would be zero money to make due to undercutting. But since not many people do, there is plenty to be made!
wheres the screenshot? im very curious. i do about a couple grand a month but obviously theres not a ton of profit cause i bust wax lol

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcounter View Post
wheres the screenshot? im very curious. i do about a couple grand a month but obviously theres not a ton of profit cause i bust wax lol
keep in mind we are not even doing this anywhere near the max.
Attached Thumbnails
ebay...anyone do it full-time?-untitled.jpg  
derium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
wow man congrats, I love to see people making money on their own. Do you get most of or all your product busting cases?
limitedplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Those numbers look pretty but what is your total cost for those past 120 days? What is your profit margin?
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #57 (permalink)

if you didnt have 10% ebay fees itd be possible but by the time you sell something for $100 you have $10 in fee to ebay, probably around $5 to paypal and $3 to ship. Adds up too quickly. I just try to make a couple-$10 per card and hope i can sell a some throughout the months
Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydogg_0725 View Post
if you didnt have 10% ebay fees itd be possible but by the time you sell something for $100 you have $10 in fee to ebay, probably around $5 to paypal and $3 to ship. Adds up too quickly. I just try to make a couple-$10 per card and hope i can sell a some throughout the months
I don't think anyone likes the fees. But really, eBay has so much traffic and so many people on there that I think the fees are almost covered just by how much more your auctions go for due to the fact that there's so many more people seeing your items than if you tried selling anywhere else...That's why I'm really not bothered by the fees.
abrage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
Those numbers look pretty but what is your total cost for those past 120 days? What is your profit margin?
It's REALLY hard to answer that. For sealed product? it's around 5-10% per box. That's the hardest part, to invest like $75 to get a $6 return. BUT if you're moving 30 of those boxes a week, then it's a no-brainer.

We get almost all of our singles from busting. Granted we do mainly Magic the Gathering (no risk).

So I'd have to assume we are in the 10-15% profit range. If you look at the numbers you'll see really good growth there, and that's because once you start to learn the ropes and know what you're doing, it's easy to expand. We started with only magic the gathering singles, then added sealed product once we made enough. Then we moved onto heroclix, now sports cards. Growth comes FAST on eBay. And that's the best part, if you're okay with $2,000 a day in sales then stop adding new product, want $6,000 a day? Then pick up Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh ect ect once you made profit.

And here is my #1 tip:

If you decide to do an eBay store do not do it hardcore until you earn top rated seller. That's when you get your 20% fee discount, that alone will make or break you.

Last edited by derium; 07-11-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydogg_0725 View Post
eBay Fees Calculator 8.2 by Ryan Olbe (updated July 12, 2011)

that is your bible. a new eBay member looks like this on a $100 sale:

sale: $100
Ebay fee: $9.00
PayPal Fee: $3.20
Take Home: $87.80 (minus shipping and product cost of course)

But once you hit top rated seller and PayPal lowers your fees:

Sale: $100
Ebay Fee: $6.85
PayPal fee: $2.50
Take Home: $90.56

that makes a huge difference if you're doing 20+ sales like that. hrrrm, I could break the cardinal rule and tell you guys EXACTLY how a box of magic sale goes for me (we do at least 30 of those a week). But like, isn;t is dumb of me to reveal how much I pay on product?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
And here is my #1 tip:

If you decide to do an eBay store do not do it hardcore until you earn top rated seller. That's when you get your 20% fee discount, that alone will make or break you.
Great advice...that 20% is huge for me in actually turning a profit each month.
RichMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
[url=http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm] But like, isn;t is dumb of me to reveal how much I pay on product?
That's your real 'secret' right there...

...with a B&M you can purchase through a distributor (or direct I suppose if you have that sort of account) which gets you extra headroom to start with...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #63 (permalink)

Anyone have any thoughts if I paid my brother 20 cents per listing to scan and list items that sold for $1.50 to $5.

And how about selling 1960s football and baseball commons and minor stars.

Cost effective? Yay, Nay?

All opinions appreciated.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
It's REALLY hard to answer that. For sealed product? it's around 5-10% per box. That's the hardest part, to invest like $75 to get a $6 return. BUT if you're moving 30 of those boxes a week, then it's a no-brainer.

We get almost all of our singles from busting. Granted we do mainly Magic the Gathering (no risk).

So I'd have to assume we are in the 10-15% profit range. If you look at the numbers you'll see really good growth there, and that's because once you start to learn the ropes and know what you're doing, it's easy to expand. We started with only magic the gathering singles, then added sealed product once we made enough. Then we moved onto heroclix, now sports cards. Growth comes FAST on eBay. And that's the best part, if you're okay with $2,000 a day in sales then stop adding new product, want $6,000 a day? Then pick up Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh ect ect once you made profit.

And here is my #1 tip:

That is really great to see that there are people out there that are making money. I have thought about opening an e-bay store just to see if I can sell alot of the stuff that I think is not valuable but someone else might think is valuable...Again I do not know if it woudl be profitable if I am only able to put 10-15 hours a week into it.

I was taking a class in my MBA program and essentially did a start up of a B&M card store vs online and I was able to find out that the companies require a picture of your building and sign before they will sign you up. Getting product at wholesale has got to make a ig difference.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
wow i must learn your ways. is that the ebay account you have linked here? you really dont have that much listed there

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawger13 View Post
Getting product at wholesale has got to make a ig difference.
Yeah, absolutely. I'm not sure exactly how much of a difference it makes, but I've heard around 15% right off the top. If it costs $1k retail, that's $850 from the distributor.

I know that probably isn't the hard and fast rule, but it's a guess.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Anyone have any thoughts if I paid my brother 20 cents per listing to scan and list items that sold for $1.50 to $5.

And how about selling 1960s football and baseball commons and minor stars.

Cost effective? Yay, Nay?

All opinions appreciated.
Not cost effective.
If you're just starting to put up an inventory on ebay, you have to keep cost low and do it all yourself (unless you've got money to burn). Even then, you'd have to re-invest a major share of your profits back into the business for the first several months.
If you have absolutely no time and the only way for you to get started is by hiring someone to do it for you, then it would be best to work off of a profit split or an hourly wage or a combination of both (ex. $2 an hour plus 10% of the profit).
Though if you use a profit split, you'd better keep impeccable records of cost vs profit otherwise you could be headed for danger. Fighting with your family over money is never a good way to run a business.

You'd probably be better off paying your brother an hourly wage to handle the back end of the business (ebay messages, packaging, penny sleeving, sorting, going to the post office, etc) while you handle the buying of new inventory and the listing. IMO, if you hire someone to do ebay, they should handle all the menial tasks, not the money making tasks.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #68 (permalink)

...as far as B&M goes, I even looked into what it would take to open a card shop and only have weekend hours. However, then I am spending a bunch of money to save $100/case. I'd need to order way too many cases per month to make it worth it.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Any thoughts on what kind of business you can do with 10K or 20K items in your store? And any thoughts on the guys that have the entire 1982 Fleer set (or something like that) in their store? They're paying $21 per month. Do they sell enough 1982 (or whatever) to justify that?
I think I've only seen 1 or 2 guys who list every card or every set they get their hands on and mathematically, I'm not quite sure how they make that work. I guess they list enough sellable product to absorb the fees of the pure commons. I know one of those guys also lists MTG cards and he cleans up with those sales by listing every card.
I dont list every card of every set, but I do end up listing about 30% of all the base set cards (stars, semi-stars, minor stars, regional favorites, subset cards, etc). I can say that it's worth it because out of a 792 card Topps base set from the 80's, there are about 220 "sellable" individual cards. That comes out to $6.60 a month in listing fees and on average, you'll sell about 15-30 of those cards per month. The cards sell, you just really have to stay on the ball with keeping them in stock, or else the player selection gets weaker and weaker and you'll start losing money in fees very quickly. You definetely won't get rich doing it, but it is a good way to build a customer base very quickly. And that customer base helps when you list a new release product.
In general, I'd look at those types of cards like packs of gum in the checkout line at the grocery store. They get thrown in as impulse buys with other sales and increase your checkout total.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #70 (permalink)

Default Awesome...

Great thread... Hope this one stays going for a while.
StlScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlScott View Post
Great thread... Hope this one stays going for a while.
I agree, this is a great thread and a big part of why I come on these boards, the fact that people are willing to share this valuable information is great. When I was doing my research originally I spoke to people at card shops and shows and I was surprised at how nice people were and willing to share information.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #72 (permalink)

I have never considered doing an E-Bay store before but now I think that I will.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #73 (permalink)

Will "Top Rated Sellers" lose that title once the tracking information requirement kicks in? I know that a lot of them ship any card worth under say $5.00 in a PWE. They won't be able to do that any more.
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Will "Top Rated Sellers" lose that title once the tracking information requirement kicks in? I know that a lot of them ship any card worth under say $5.00 in a PWE. They won't be able to do that any more.
Yes, this will kill those that do the Free Shipping in a PWE unless they start adding tracking information.
RichMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
You have to keep in mine if you do eBay full time, this means you need to register it as a business. What's that mean? Oh yeah, getting all your product at cost.
What are the options for obtaining product at cost, Dealernet? I have a business license but don't have the slightest clue where to start...
NonFlammable is offline   Reply With Quote