Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonFlammable View Post
For those experienced ebay store owners, what volume/sales level do you feel justifies the different tiers of ebay stores ($15.95/$49.95/$299.95)?

I average about $100/month in fees, which sucks to begin with. I try and take full advantage of the free listing days, but that's usually only once a month...
In a nutshell here is the breakdown:

Less then 171 listings = Basic Store
171 to 12500 listings = Premium Store
Over 12500 Listings= Anchor Store

I have a spreadsheet somewhere that breaks this down but cant find it. Let me take a stab at this. Here is the math:

Basic Store = $15.95 per month (.20 listing fee for 30 days)

So if you had 170 listings your listing fees would be:

170x.20= $34.00
Store Subscription - $15.95
Total $49.95
Anything over 170 listings you should upgrade to a Premium Store

Premium Store $49.95 per month (.05 Listing Fee)

12500 x .05 = $625
Store Subscription - $49.95
Total $674.95
Anything over 12500 listings you should upgrade to an Anchor Store

I think that is right but Math was never my strong suit.
RichMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #152 (permalink)

What are some distributors aside from GTS?
NonFlammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
What are some distributors aside from GTS?
Wholesale Sports Trading Cards Distributor List
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #154 (permalink)

For anyone considering case breaking, what Brent says about losing in the beginning is absolutely true. I'm slightly embarrassed to say I lost way too much of my savings in 2010 and early 2011. But for the last year or more, I've been making profits. Mostly it's due to buyer trust and recognition in my eBay store. But there are so many other factors. If you are just starting out, you really have to be prepared to take a loss.[/QUOTE]

Do you sell alot through you E-Bay store, I just opened one, have not stocked it yet, but was wondering what the amount of traffic is on a store, do people just look at the store after they look at you auctions?

Not quite sure how all this works. What a great thread...
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisle View Post
i think learning excel is probably some of the better advice I saw on here. When I first started selling it was just for fun, then I decided that I was going to run it like a business, to see if I could actually make a few bucks from my hobby. I made a spread sheet of what my supplies cost and charted all the fees. I figured out what I could charge to ship 1 card, 2 card... to see where I would start to lose money on how many cards I could ship for 1 price.

For those still using plain paper, go to your local arts and crafts store and pick up a photo cutter, its only like $5-$10, just place the paper in and cut it down to size, takes like 15 seconds.

another piece of advice, and its hard not to do, but do not get too wrapped up into it. I would spend like 8 hrs a day after work, if the wife wanted to go somewhere I had to make sure I didn't have any auctions ending because I was to watch them end. You don't realize it at the time of what kind of stress it can put on a relationship, especially when she might not be into the whole idea. Need to learn to walk away and turn off the computer every once in a while.
Great advice, I always get too caught up in where the auction is going to end and getting stressed about how many people are watching vs. bidding, etc. Drives my wife crazy. The Iphone app has been great for that as it just sends updates when someone bids so I do not have to sit in front of the computer.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #156 (permalink)

Just wanted to say again what a great thread this has been.

I'm just about to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of starting the "business" and started, and still am, small time. But wanted to thank everyone for their willingness to share information.

Some things I've come slowly to figuring out for myself and has been stated in this thread - biggest one is expanding your excel skills! One of the biggest time savers.

Also, like some else said, I started out with the paper labels too and cutting and taping them on - saves on expense but takes a toll on your personal time and the ability to work on more things. Picked up the half sheet labels pretty quick and once my supply of those runs out I'll be making the move to thermal.

Looking to get an ADF scanner but the costs are a little high for me at the moment but soon!

Anyone used one of those NeatDesks? I think I saw 1.2mm thickness - just curious on that or if there are any other budget minded ADFs out there. I see plenty of ADFs but question the damage they'll do to the cards.

Thanks again everyone.
J19R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #157 (permalink)

I did an "experiment" for the month of July: upgraded my basic store to premium ($15.95 ---> $49.95) and listed a little over 500 cards, all BIN at $0.99ea (all cards were either SPs, refractors, or some form of parallel).

After the smoke cleared, I sold exactly 100 cards, resulting in $99 in sales and $109 in fees (-$10 profit, not including Paypal fees).

Needless to say I'm a little frustrated. It was a LOT of work and I'm out of pocket for the whole experience.

Are BIN's the wrong way to go for cheap cards? According to the ebay store fee illustrator eBay: Fee Illustrator I would have only paid $72 in fees if I had ran them auction-style, but I assume that is only listing them for 1-week during the month and not relisting them every 7 days(?)

Any advice from the pros?
NonFlammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
I did an "experiment" for the month of July: upgraded my basic store to premium ($15.95 ---> $49.95) and listed a little over 500 cards, all BIN at $0.99ea (all cards were either SPs, refractors, or some form of parallel).

After the smoke cleared, I sold exactly 100 cards, resulting in $99 in sales and $109 in fees (-$10 profit, not including Paypal fees).

Needless to say I'm a little frustrated. It was a LOT of work and I'm out of pocket for the whole experience.

Are BIN's the wrong way to go for cheap cards? According to the ebay store fee illustrator eBay: Fee Illustrator I would have only paid $72 in fees if I had ran them auction-style, but I assume that is only listing them for 1-week during the month and not relisting them every 7 days(?)

Any advice from the pros?
Send me a PM with a link to one of your listings. Ill take a look at it.

Usually when selling $1 cards, you really have to list with some sort of system. In other words, list all of your Andrew McCutchen cards or list all of your Detroit Tiger cards at the same time. People that are buying $1 cards are usually player or team collectors. Also, set builders will be your target customer as well.

One last thing, what is your combined shipping policy? That also has a huge infulence on buyers of $1 cards.

Rich
RichMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #159 (permalink)

All this new guy can say is WOW, so much good info, I just read the entire thread, and will probably have to go back and read it again when I get ready to start my store. I have lots to get organized, and need to make a good work station and business model. But this thread has defiantly started me out on the right foot that's for sure.

Just curious, when opening an eBay store, does it matter if your store name and your eBay id are different? I want to start a store and don't know if I should start it with my current login id, or make a new one so the store name and the id name are the same?

Last edited by cntryislandboy; 08-15-2012 at 07:35 PM.
cntryislandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #160 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fergman78

This has been a very informative thread. I am in the processing of crossing the t's and dotting the I's in getting my new online business licensed with my town. Tried to finalize it yesterday but the permit person was off so I will be going back to City Hall Wednesday. I am now deciding if an Ebay store is the way to go or just a webstore or both. I have been checking out webstore software and all seem to have their pros and cons. I won't be dealing with just cards but other collectibles, toys, as well as selling consignments. If anyone has any thoughts on Ecommerce Software or uses a particular one themselves please send me a message or an email.

Twitter: @scott_NECC
fergman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #161 (permalink)

I want to see more on what people have to say!
golf_underpar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #162 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1909

I 100% make my income off of cards
KEARYCOLBERT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #163 (permalink)

This is an awesome thread. I have read it entirely and it has been very valuable to me.

One thing I would like to know is, has anyone been able to find a way to easily scan a bunch of cards (flat bed scanner) and separate them into individual scans using a progam? I have seen people online saying it is possible but I have not yet found a method that works. I am stuck cropping each card which is very time consuming.

A great option would be to use an ADF scanner, the scanners mentioned here have been pretty expensive. Anyone have any experience with one that costs less than $500 and is effective?

I do have a Dymo Labelwriter 450 turbo. It was great for printing return labels before I used eBay and PayPal shipping. I havent purchased the correct label size to try the full package shipping yet.

I also have an Epson xp-400 all in one which has been great on my wifi setup. i am able to view orders and wirelessly print packing slips and regular paper labels directly from my Ipad or my iphone which is very nice. The scan quality is also great which I can wirelessly scan to my laptop throughout my home.

Hope I can find a bit of help and also provide some help. Feel free to PM me with suggestions or quesrions.

THANKS,

--CK

If interested in one of my cards please make a reasonable offer.
cdkftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #164 (permalink)

Just wondering if anyone else has a problem of listing their cards like I do!...I literally have thousands of cards, maybe $3-5/each sitting around my office and I can't seem to just scan/list the D@$N things!......

I need to just sit my butt behind the computer and list away. Out of these thousands of cards that litter my office, I know I have a hundred or more that are $30-50 each!...It can't be a matter of wanting to hold onto them??

Is this beginners stage of hoarding......I need the money, so why is it taking a mental toll on me?? I need some Adderall....blah!

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcherry2477 View Post
Is this beginners stage of hoarding......I need the money, so why is it taking a mental toll on me?? I need some Adderall....blah!
I have take Ritalin and it doesn't help much in the end. What you end up with is the great period of productivity and sales followed by an equal period of feeling burned out.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
I have take Ritalin and it doesn't help much in the end. What you end up with is the great period of productivity and sales followed by an equal period of feeling burned out.
I already feel the burned out part, but it's definitely not from listing...just the sheer amount of various stacks of cards in my office drains me...I really need to figure a "system" and stick to it. Someone said I should think about hiring someone to do the posting, but how would I go about finding that?? Does anyone here have "employees", but doesn't really own a shop?

I know if I could get a consistent amount of cards listed daily that it would be worth paying for. I could see me making a full-time income off this "hobby" with consistency...I know I can do it, but it's kicking my butt trying. I need to quit making excuses and get it done...

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #167 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkftw View Post
A great option would be to use an ADF scanner, the scanners mentioned here have been pretty expensive. Anyone have any experience with one that costs less than $500 and is effective?
I wouldn't recommending running cards through an ADF.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
This a good thread, although some secrets have been shared, lol, shhhh

You can make money on eBay & with cards, just like someone somewhere can make $ at almost anything that others may not be able to or thought of

However, this thread with it's good tips also has much missing and that comes from time & experience...building up customers and a name/rep within a niche market

Too often folks like to jump into an over-saturated market, and start off poorly. You will most likely lose $ before making it. Also, some jump in way too deep rather than starting slowly. Find a place you are comfortable & start there, not everywhere... for some it may be a specific sport or non-sport and perhaps it could be cases or collections or set breaks or supplies or who knows

I spent years trying to help other sin this business and have enjoyed it. I have been interviewed an asked to write for websites, but no matter how much talking or writing it can't answer everything. There are so many tips. I could write a book over 1,001 tips that I have learned in 16 years but just like with anything it takes time and it is not for everyone.

That is one thing for sure. If you do not have patience, or current financial ability, or even time away from job/home/life, this is no easy business. It is about 18-20 hours a day and eBay never closes even on holidays. If you become big & successful, people will want to contact you and expect fast answers and faster shipping, just like ebay now wanting shipping with 24 hours. May be easier with store of older fixed priced items, but new stuff at 100s auctions a night is not. I receive on average 250-300 eBay messages a days during a break, plus another 200 twitter messages, not to mention emails and PM and DM, etc. And that takes so much time, but is important to me as I always want to deliver top customer service and respond each time as timely as I can. There are so many things to do during a break, and so many requests.

Anyhow I could go on and on. In fact I talk to other case breakers daily and have a guy that asked me to mentor him about 5 years back & we still talk on the phone almost daily. Market, strategy, and things always changing, so you have to adjust too.

This is just a basic article I wrote about case breaking....again not easy & I don't advise just jumping in so big, but there are some basic truths at least from what I have learned in the market/niche/way I do things.

Hope it adds to this all. It is just one of many articles/interviews I have done.
One key thing as well to all this is relationships!!!!

Step-by-Step Guide to a Successful Sports Card Case Break

Good luck!
But the biggest and most important piece of information not mentioned here is...knowing the right people so you get the product before anyone else and have your listings up on ebay first!
buckeyeforlife is offline   Reply With Quote