Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question New member in need of advice

Hello there! I have inherited somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 sports cards. There's a mixture of baseball, football, some hockey and basketball cards in the collection. These were my uncles and he started collecting when he retired in 1990. Needless to say they are all modern cards. He has all of the cards in albums with the 9 sleeve pages. I'm no expert but they look to be in nearly new condition.

Anyway, I need to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Does anyone have any advice as to where to sell these and what price tag to put on them? If I try to sell them all in one lot on ebay, what about shipping? I took pictures of some of the pages of one album and put the album up on ebay. There are probably 1500 cards in the album and I have the starting bid at $29.99. So far nobody seems to be interested. The album up is a 2002 Bowman and Bowman Chrome lot.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer this big dummy
bigdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would start by purchasing some Beckett price guides. They have them for each sport. eBay prices are rarely ever the Beckett price , usually lower .. but it will give you somewhere to start. The 90's were pretty flooded with cards , but .. there are some very valuable cards in that decade. As you get into the 2000's .. the prices can jump rather quickly. I'd start with that , and pulling out any numbered or unusual looking cards , as they are probably inserts , and more valuable. Do some research , and don't get burned .. you may have a few great cards.
t4e511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your reply and advice! I did sell the Bowman album! I think before I list any more of them I will get the price guides. I appreciate your help, thanks again!
bigdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't use beckett price guide at all because the vast majority of people will laugh at you. You are probably best off buy going through and sorting into player lots. You could try the B/S/T here and take requests, once you have them go through and sort through them and get back to people with what you have and work out pricing. As for selling on eBay you are going to have a hard time just listing large "lots of cards" without any real descriptions. Not to mention, what do you put for titles then? Player lots are still the best and some you just might not be able to move. Cards in the 1990's were mass produced and there are tons of them out there. Unless you really have some rare inserts/serial numbered stuff. Home - CheckOutMyCards.com & Sportlots Trading Cards - 42 Million Common, Insert & Star Trading Cards are also great places to unload cards.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

All this is good advice, but I might ask you to be careful: It could turn into a passion for the hobby! That is what I did in 2007 when my Mom said "What about all those cards you have in the attic?" I found them, started digging through them, sorting them and making sets. I had so much fun I decided to invest more of my money into the newer cards, and have been going at it strong ever since. It may be a business one day where I can make some pretty good money, you never know!
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Thanks so much for your reply and advice! I did sell the Bowman album! I think before I list any more of them I will get the price guides. I appreciate your help, thanks again!
If you give us a link to your ebay auctions, it's much easier for us to tell you what you're doing right/wrong. The more info you give, the more people can help!