Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buyer taking unauthorized discount

I had a buyer that won auctions on 4 different nights. In my auction description I state that I discount S&H charges for auctions won on the same night. I invoiced him individually for each auction won with standard S&H charges. I recieved a payment from him via paypal and he took a discount on the S&H charges even though I did not authorize him to do this.

I'd like some opinions on what I should do.

My first thought was to e-mail him and ask him to send the additional money and then I'll ship his cards.

Your thoughts please.
mdb92951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb92951 View Post
I had a buyer that won auctions on 4 different nights. In my auction description I state that I discount S&H charges for auctions won on the same night. I invoiced him individually for each auction won with standard S&H charges. I recieved a payment from him via paypal and he took a discount on the S&H charges even though I did not authorize him to do this.

My first thought was to e-mail him and ask him to send the additional money and then I'll ship his cards.

Your thoughts please.
Mike...

If you haven't shipped the cards, I'd plan to ship at the discounted rate.

However, I'd shoot him an e-mail first asking if he read the auction or just read the discount rules.

Personally, I don't try to make money on shipping...I actually lose some money here and there. As such, if he bought all on the same day...or all on 4 different days - yet none have been shipped yet, why wouldn't you combine? And, if you were going to ship all separately...still, why not combine?

Just my thoughts. Again, I repeat, I don't look to make money on shipping like many others.....
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Mike,

I'd also ship as combined as long as the items haven't been shipped. But I would email him to see if he saw that you do combine but only on for same day auctions. Not sure if he was the only one that bid on the items or not, but he may also by again once he gets the cards. I myself would hate to loose good repeat business (that being one that pays in a timely manner).
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am with you, I do make money on shipping, a bulk of it, but I combine shipping for any reasonable amount of time. If a buyer lets me know he is going to pay, I will let them combine shipping for 2 weeks, but I do only give a $2 discount shipping rate.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

MDB,

If I see that a person has bid on multiple items and they don't end on the same day, I usually wait until the last auction they are bidding on is over before I send out an invoice. I usually charge $1.50 for each additional item won. Thats just me though.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

What irks me is that he did this without asking. If a person send a question through e-bay after the the auction won on a different night and asks if I would combine the auctions, I have no problem doing it and I discount the shipping.
mdb92951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

This happens to me now and then I normally just ship it anyway to avoid getting a negative but it gets frustrating.
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

As long as he paid only once...to minimize your fees, then he is ok. However, I would send him a note mentioning you are doing him a favor and operating outside of your normal posted pricing rules.
nucemcsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Baltimore ( home of the 6 x MISL Champion Baltimore Blast )

first i would send his money back to him & then make him pay your shipping rate u listed , then i would go in to my ebay & change your settings so that a buyer can not edit your totals once invoiced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb92951 View Post

Your thoughts please.
cardshopmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mike - I usually combine shipping without any problem BUT I do agree this idiot needs some manners. I'm sure if he asked you after receiving the invoice you'd work something out with him. I usually ask someone prior to bidding if its not in their listing. I do think its ridiculous for sellers to gouge me for $9. shipping for 3 cards that they mail in the same mailer for $3.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Mike - I usually combine shipping without any problem BUT I do agree this idiot needs some manners. I'm sure if he asked you after receiving the invoice you'd work something out with him. I usually ask someone prior to bidding if its not in their listing. I do think its ridiculous for sellers to gouge me for $9. shipping for 3 cards that they mail in the same mailer for $3.
Bambam...exactly what I meant to say. The only issue is with him taking it upon himself - and, of course, it could be innocent. But with today's average e-bayer, who knows.

Personally, I only charge an additional $0.50 per card, to a maximum of $4.25 ($2.75 for first). If you win 25, still $4.25 - like someone said earlier, repeat business is much more important in my book than trying to make money off shipping.
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have a similar question/thought on this issue. I had a guy buy almost all of my lots of cards yesterday. The original shipping was like 4 or something for a lot of 20 some cards. This might be too much or not enough, depending on who you are, but not part of the point. My auctions state that it is 50 cents more per card that you win, as I usually do just single card auctions. He bought two single cards and then four of the lots which are almost 10 GU cards a piece. I charged him like 6.50 or something in the end. Do you think that is too much, too little, or should I have a better way to do this?
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Probably a little more than it will cost you to ship depending on how your shipping (DC, priority etc.) BUT I would have no problem paying that because your not gouging me on the cost. I just sold my EEE set and charged $5.00 for shipping with DC. Thats 92 cards total.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

This scenario is funny to me because I actually had a guy buy one card from me and I charged $3 shipping. He gave himself a discount and decided he only wanted to pay $2 shipping. Needless to say that I was pissed but after I calmed down and the idea of ripping off one of the corners of the card before I sent it wore off I decided that a fight over $1 wasn't worth the negative that I was risking. The other thing I think is funny about this is that it is these little weasely people like this buyer that has all the balls in the world online but if we were at a show together and I told him $20 for a card would he hand me less than that and try to take the card from me???? lol
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote