Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Card shows, cost $200, is it worth doing a couple a year vs COMC, eBay

Wondering if it's worth it over COMC and eBay. Not saying I'll stop COMC or eBay just cut back to allow more family time. I'll keep this short as possible. Shows will be in Texas, most likely Dallas Fort Worth Arlington area. I would except ether pay pal or cash. I figure doing maybe 4 to 5 shows a year. Not looking to make lots, but enough for some extra pc money. I hear stories of people making a killing at shows so I figure what the hek.

Total cost $200 - $40 gas round trip, $80 table, $80 for time $10 hour average for 8 hour show

Total inventory right now is around 15,000 to 17,000 cards. If I choose to do this I will probably be growing my collection size.

Selling - base boxs .10-.25
- cowboys box .25
- rangers box .25
- other texas team .25 or do just one texas box with all teams depending how many boxs
- stars box .50, or something like 3 for a $1
- insert, gu, auto $1 box, or something like 6 for $5
- inset, gu, auto $3-$5 box
- small display case for higher cards
- misc items, hot wheels, nascar die cast, starting line ups, etc

I figure at a min of .10 a card and cost of $200 I would need to sell 2,000 cards, now that's alot, but I will also have alots more items so the odds of selling just .10 should be slim.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I have never ever seen the appeal to comc. Costs too much
w8lifter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nyisle

Bump this up... I would love to hear some responses from members who do shows.... like the thread on doing ebay full time, or what goes into doing case breaks...

I ship in Bubble Mailers only!! NO PWE!!!
nyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I like doing the shows just having issues selling stuff at them. For me I've got to factor in hotel room and dont forget setup and/or take down times if your factoring time/money (maybe food as well).

Biggest issue I'm having I think is exposure. So many more buyers on ebay than at the shows. I know i've got stuff selling for 35+ on ebay and I cant get 30 at the show (some I've got marked at 25). I understand not having it marked above ebay (but thats hard to since well all know prices vary day to day) but as a seller I've got fees too (as you said table fees, I've also got state sales tax I must collect)
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
Total cost $200 - $40 gas round trip, $80 table, $80 for time $10 hour average for 8 hour show
For $200 in Ebay fees you could sell about $1000

So if you are looking for money then the card show will likely not generate that much. I always view card shows as fun. I am happy if I break even. I only do one a year that that attitude though.

If you are counting your time as $80, I really question whether you should do a card show at all. Unless you do card shows frequently, it will take you several hours to prepare on top of your estimate.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Baltimore ( home of the 6 x MISL Champion Baltimore Blast )

Quote:
Wondering if it's worth it over COMC and eBay. Not saying I'll stop COMC or eBay just cut back to allow more family time. I'll keep this short as possible. Shows will be in Texas, most likely Dallas Fort Worth Arlington area. I would except ether pay pal or cash. I figure doing maybe 4 to 5 shows a year. Not looking to make lots, but enough for some extra pc money. I hear stories of people making a killing at shows so I figure what the hek.

Total inventory right now is around 15,000 to 17,000 cards. If I choose to do this I will probably be growing my collection size.

- cowboys box .25
- rangers box .25
- other texas team .25 or do just one texas box with all teams depending how many boxs

I figure at a min of .10 a card and cost of $200 I would need to sell 2,000 cards, now that's alot, but I will also have alots more items so the odds of selling just .10 should be slim.

If your selling quarter cards then a flea market is best for you shows just dont bring what they use to
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Baltimore ( home of the 6 x MISL Champion Baltimore Blast )

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8lifter28 View Post
I have never ever seen the appeal to comc. Costs too much
i Agree with you I think COMC would do better if they list your cards first and then Deduct them money from your account . if you dont pay them they keep your cards so they are already ahead of the game ..

what is stopping them from closing their doors and keeping your cards I just dont trust it . I know a lot of peeople on the boards rave about them all the time
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for all the info/tips. it has been ages since i did a show. my main issue is i have so many base cards and make nothing off of them on ebay, so i thought to give the shows a try, hence trying to buy a few flat rate boxes for cheap to boost the inventory. but maybe i will scratch that idea and just stick to saving a few bucks each pay check and selling on comc to get the money i need to get my new toy instead of trying to sell what i have. not to mention all the time i put into listing on ebay, it's getting to the point where it's just not worth it. might just stick to comc and bite the bullet of the 20% cash out once i reach the balance i need
Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I do shows and it really depends on a lot of things. For example, if you are only doing one show you might get unlucky and show up the day no one else shows up. Or you could get lucky and everyone shows up.

Also, it depends on how cheap the clientele is. At the show I do, we have the cheapest people on the planet. People walk in with $10, and they want to leave with 100 cards.

I almost never sell cards out of my case.

My case was once filled with cards in the $100-$1000 range and nothing ever moved. Eventually, I moved almost everything on ebay and all that's left in my case are $5-$50 cards with a couple over $100. Still, nothing ever gets sold out of my case.

One of the biggest issues is that the people at the my show are the most uneducated card collector's ever. They have no idea what they are looking at. They could have a $500 card staring them right in the face and they'll ask for the price thinking it's a $5 card.

So, if your show is like anything like mine then you might sell $200-$300 out of your boxes depending on how good the deals are and you won't sell anything with any real value.

But I am only comparing to my show. You might have a great show with people looking to spend serious money.

Also, be prepared to hear "what does it book" at least a dozen times. Only the true sharks at the show (you might see one if you are lucky) are familiar with ebay and it will shock you how many people still think the Beckett is law when it comes to card prices.
Clipperfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Shows are good if you want to blow alot of stuff out (.10 cent - $1 cheap GU autos). People will eat them up if they think they can resell them. Depending on the area there will be guys looking to buy higher end to resell on ebay (again looking for deals) and there will be those that only collect one guy. The bigger the show the better for higher end cards. Smaller shows you will be better off with the cheap stuff. When it comes to high end my success has always come from ebay. Buying low and selling high. Treating cards like the stock market is my mind set and that's why I avoid prospects (I don't want to be there when the tommy john crash hits).
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

I love seeing all the bashing of COMC on here still, they have been around for a few years now and are constantly growing. I know their prices seem to be steep, but it is well worth it considering ebay fees are not cheap either. And you don't have to worry about Pain in the butt buyers, or going to the post office multiple times, and spending much more to ship 500 individual cards than you ever would to list them on COMC.

Plus inserts and regular jerseys/autos sell much better on COMC for the most part, as well as the convenience of being able to spend your store credit directly on cards to flip.

I know there are still a few circumstances where ebay is better to sell a certain card or lot of cards than COMC, but I truly believe COMC has what it takes to claim #1 in the sports card industry in the next 5 years.

Not to mention no scanning/bubble mailers needed. Also the option to get a check really appeals to those who don't like paypal

Jacquizz Rodgers Collector!
washingtonmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtonmark View Post
I love seeing all the bashing of COMC on here still, they have been around for a few years now and are constantly growing. I know their prices seem to be steep, but it is well worth it considering ebay fees are not cheap either. And you don't have to worry about Pain in the butt buyers, or going to the post office multiple times, and spending much more to ship 500 individual cards than you ever would to list them on COMC.

Plus inserts and regular jerseys/autos sell much better on COMC for the most part, as well as the convenience of being able to spend your store credit directly on cards to flip.

I know there are still a few circumstances where ebay is better to sell a certain card or lot of cards than COMC, but I truly believe COMC has what it takes to claim #1 in the sports card industry in the next 5 years.

Not to mention no scanning/bubble mailers needed. Also the option to get a check really appeals to those who don't like paypal

Well said my friend. One thing that is begining to appeal to me more and more about comc is the time factor. It allows more time to spend with my family and not listing on ebay, I just box up and that's it. Not to mention hunting season is quickly approaching, and those who hunt know how time consuming that can be.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

- cowboys box .25
- rangers box .25

VERY FEW people make money in this industry/hobby. There's a reason it's referred to as a "hobby" and not a business. Card shows are more fun than profitable. You have to have a keen sense of business to make money with cards. Breaking boxes/cases is not the answer either. If you want to make any money at all, seek out any of the 99.9% of the people in this hobby that are hard up for $! Stick to eBay and simply use these forums to buy at low prices! 90%+ of the threads on the forums are people selling, cause they are addicts and in need of $ to buy more boxes. They can't stop opening packs! It's no different than gambling addicts! Simply exploit them and you're golden!

Always looking for Brook Lopez RCs/RC Autos I don't have!
innovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've been doing trade shows since 2009.. unless you know what you are doing.. it's not worth the hassle. Lugging all your stuff there and back is very cumbersome.. and unless you have a customer base.. it's just not worth your time.

Now major shows (IE the National) are worth every moment of your time. But that's an entirely different animal IMO