Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC consignment stats, WOW people really spend that much, Whats your stratagy?

I am bored at work and looking for ways to improve my COMC sales and where I rank in the scheme of things. I was looking mainly at the consignment seller info and several people have consigned overal 10,000 cards and over 300 people 5,000 cards. Based on my math 5,000 cards consigned is about almost $1,200 by the time you pay shipping and use the 4 week option.

Correct me if I am wrong but consignment sellers stats are only cards sent in, and sellers stats include cards trying to flip or resell.

On a side note, does anyone buy on eBay and send into COMC?

If your one of these guys what do you think the best stratagy is? Bite the bullet and send 1,000 to 1,500 at a time? Or just send in as your credit builds up? Also is this just a way to supplement your PC or you trying to make cash? Investment for future?

Personally I wish I had the money to send in everything I didn't want to deal with and be done with it, but that would be a crazy expense upfront and probably take forever to make back.

Last edited by cntryislandboy; 09-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.
cntryislandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've had a lot of success selling cards in that $5-$25 range which makes the upfront fees fairly negligible in the long run. Instead of cashing out, I'll reinvest in either some nice Chrome autos that I figure I can flip at a later date or some PC items.

Even for the stuff that sells for 75 cents or less, I figure as long as I sell them for over 20 cents each (the minimum amount they'll process cards for), I'll at least get SOMETHING out of it. Stuff like A&G minis and inserts that I don't have the time/patience to sell individually or build sets of go very quickly on COMC. If I can make a quarter on each of those, hey, I'm happy.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's been my approach...I think the bottom line for me is not to limit yourself with "junk" and send in some really nice cards that'll help offset those upfront costs.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have sent in over 17,000 cards to COMC, but that has been over a four year period. Other than my initial cost to list the cards the majority of my listing fees have been paid with cards that I have sold.

I would recommend taking it slow to get a feel for what sells and if that provides you with a rate of return that you are happy with.

Good Luck!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

ummmm

ddearing Cards consigned: 145,310

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've added about 31,000 cards to the site and have a few thousand more in the hopper. I spent a few hundred dollars to send in the first few thousand cards, and since then, the processing fees are paid with the proceeds of the cards that have sold.

I used to own a card shop, but I sold it many years ago. However, I was left with hundreds of thousands of cards as overstock.

The really expensive cards were easy to sell on eBay. The really cheap cards were easy to sell as bulk lots. But the ones in the middle - book value $1 to $20 or so, lowest COMC price 75 cents or so, those were best to sell on COMC.

So if I have a card, the basic option is to let it gather dust in my house for free or to let it gather dust for at COMC for 20 cents.

And it's 20 cents in COMC credit, not 20 cents in cash. If I were to cash out the credit, I'd get 16 cents.

When I first started on COMC, it was 15 cents to process a card (8 week turnaround), and they sometimes had listing sales where it was 10 cents to process certain cards, or sometimes $50ish to process a 550 count box of cards. So then, it was really a choice between processing an additional card or having 8 to 12 cents cash.

The biggest issue then was the rent. You pay 1 cent per month for each card priced over a certain amount. When I started with COMC, that amount was 25 cents. So a card priced at 26 cents would cost 1 cent per month in rent. But I also ran 50% offers on all of my cards. So if I priced the card at 25 cents, then I might get less for the card than I paid in processing fees, and if I priced the card at 50 cents and it sat for 2 years, I might still pay 24 cents in storage fees and the card might still only sell for 25 cents.

Nowadays, they don't charge rent unless the card is priced 75 cents or more and they have a way for you to pay $15 or $50 per month and extend that as high as $2.50. So the incentive is, once you have several thousand cards in your account, to acquire as many additional cards as you can, provided that you can keep them priced below $2.50.

So basically on COMC you can be real casual, and work your way up to a certain level. But once you reach that tipping point where you're selling dozens of cards every day and paying $15 per month or $50 per month, then you're just as well off adding thousands or even tens of thousands of additional cards to your account.

Another factor: some of the people who 'submitted' many tens of thousands of cards to the site actually work for COMC. A couple of the old employees have a deal where they can process cards to their account on their own time as a perk of their employment. I don't know if this same deal extends to the new hires or not. COMC also runs a few accounts of their own, such as "commons". But if you see someone who has submitted thousands upon thousands of cards and the average book value is very low, then that particular account probably has some connection to COMC.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, it is GREATLY APPRECIATED. After thinking about if for awhile(long before I posted this) I've deceided to take what seems to be a common approach. I'm probably going to stop eBay unless I get a sure thing. I'm tired of wasting time that could be had with my family. I'm also going to bite the bullet and send in about 1,00- to 1,500 cards to comc if I can before the price increase. I send in 500 alittle over a year ago, and sold about half. Going to send in some better stuff this time. Then I'll just send in more as credit builds up, untill my house is clear of what I don't want or don't care about. I also figure if I sell odds and end stuff/junk on eBay then I'll transfer those profits to my COMC and use that to help send in more cards untill they are all sent in. Once again, thanks for all the great info.

For those that responded I added to my orginal post. Do any of you or have any of you bought on eBay if the deal is good enough and then sent into COMC?

Last edited by cntryislandboy; 09-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
cntryislandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
For those that responded I added to my orginal post. Do any of you or have any of you bought on eBay if the deal is good enough and then sent into COMC?
I have not done this YET but I do plan on doing it this winter when baseball prices drop (and mostly for stuff I expect would appreciate i.e the Chrome autos).
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

It was mentioned on another forum that some of these people could have listed long ago when prices were cheaper or they ran submission specials. So here's my next question, and I know they just ran a submission special, so it will probably be awhile before they do it again. But any idea how often they do this? Once a year? Twice a year?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
It was mentioned on another forum that some of these people could have listed long ago when prices were cheaper or they ran submission specials. So here's my next question, and I know they just ran a submission special, so it will probably be awhile before they do it again. But any idea how often they do this? Once a year? Twice a year?
Here is a coupon for first timers that was shown to me. Expires in December, bottom of page.

Check Out My Cards Gaining Attention as Online Alternative | Sports Collectors Digest
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote