Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #451 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCards View Post
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere before...

On COMC, is there anyway for us to see the total book value of all cards for sale by a seller, including cards purchased and flipped? The sellers list only includes book value for cards actually sent in and unsold.

On a related note, is there any easy work-around to put an offer on an entire portfolio, particularly since a few people are offering ports for sale?

Fantastic site... has brought me back to collecting again!

Thanks
First question you should be able to see the total value on the sellers link. it is sortable by the diff. categories but cards purchased and flipped by each individual is not something that is given out for a category. The sellers can figure it out on their dashboards and I would think if they wanted to post what they paid and what they made they could.

2nd - to make an offer on an entire portfolio you need to add at least one card to your cart from that seller, and then go to your cart and to the make an offer button. There will then be a new button at the bottom asking if you want to add the entire portfolio of that seller. It will give you the BV as well as the seller value and then you can make an offer on the whole thing or take out cards if needed.

Thanks for joining COMC and blowout. My 2 year on COMC is right around the corner.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #452 (permalink)

Thanks! I never noticed that "Add all cards from seller" link.
JimsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #453 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCards View Post
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere before...

On COMC, is there anyway for us to see the total book value of all cards for sale by a seller, including cards purchased and flipped? The sellers list only includes book value for cards actually sent in and unsold.

On a related note, is there any easy work-around to put an offer on an entire portfolio, particularly since a few people are offering ports for sale?

Fantastic site... has brought me back to collecting again!

Thanks
No problem, Jimscards, happy to help. We will be adding the ability soon to see flipped cards as well. Those totals are actually consigned totals only for now.
1-800-517-3540
riotgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #454 (permalink)

If someone can answer my questions here, I would be really grateful. Just decided today to open an account and send in about 500 inserts/numbereds/ gu/autos that i've had lying around.

Questions:

1) They say minimum 1 dollar value per card. With all these inserts/numbereds/ rcs i am sending in, how much can I really expect to get per card. If I put 50 percent BV is that too high?? I want to sell, but I want to sell to people who really need the card, and are willing to pay a better than average(ebay) price for it.

2) How long does it take to start seeing my cards pop up in the catalog if I sign up for 8 week service?

I'll post more questions if i can remember them.

thanks in advanced!
password- jetscollector
jetscollector10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #455 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetscollector10 View Post
If someone can answer my questions here, I would be really grateful. Just decided today to open an account and send in about 500 inserts/numbereds/ gu/autos that i've had lying around.

Questions:

1) They say minimum 1 dollar value per card. With all these inserts/numbereds/ rcs i am sending in, how much can I really expect to get per card. If I put 50 percent BV is that too high?? I want to sell, but I want to sell to people who really need the card, and are willing to pay a better than average(ebay) price for it.
First, the minimum 1 dollar thing is largely irrelevant, so don't worry about it. Second, your sell price is totally up to you. Stuff will sell at 50% off (or even full book) while other stuff will sit unsold at 90% off book. It mostly comes down to how patient you are and what kind of competition there is on the site for the cards you send in. If someone else has the same card at 80% off, then there obviously isn't a great chance of selling yous at 50%, but on the other hand if yours is the only card on the site then you have a pretty good chance of selling it at 50%. It mostly comes down to patience in all cases though. You may sell some cards quickly or it may take a long time.

Quote:
2) How long does it take to start seeing my cards pop up in the catalog if I sign up for 8 week service?
They process your cards as a group, so if you used the 8 week service level all of your cards will show up in your account, ready for you to price them. In the mean time, you should get a confirmation they received them and you'll see the cards listed as pending in your account until they are ready.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #456 (permalink)

Quote:
I think COMC has some advantages over eBay when it comes to purchasing and pricing. If yours is the only copy of a particular card on COMC, you can usually get a bit more for it.

Also lots of sellers don't cash out often (if at all) and just use their store credit to buy more cards. As a result, if someone sees cards they can get more for a card you have, they'll buy it or make an offer, and turn right around and flip it. No shipping, so there's a lot of money to be made in flipping. Price how you think will sell, but leave some room for offers. If you list it for 65% BV and someone offers 35% BV, you've got some room to negotiate and possibly still unload that card for 50% BV.

And again...if someone had a card that they sell for $50 on COMC that they pulled from a $3 pack, they're a bit less stingy with that kind of money since they just made around 1600% profit on that card. There's a good chance they'll go drop it on that card listed for 70% BV that they haven't been able to find anywhere else.

People tend to spend more freely with store credit built from nothing than they would with cash out of pocket.

Quote:
Just shy of 8 weeks. They usually manage to shave a few days off the end, but when you pay for 8 week service, don't expect them to pop up before 7 weeks.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #457 (permalink)

awesome, thanks.

How many of the cards that you put up sell within, say 6 months? If you list at a reasonable time.

Basically, what I'm worried about is only being able to sell 10% of my cards. I am very patient, so I am willing to wait it out, but is there enough movement on the site to sell all kinds of stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
First, the minimum 1 dollar thing is largely irrelevant, so don't worry about it. Second, your sell price is totally up to you. Stuff will sell at 50% off (or even full book) while other stuff will sit unsold at 90% off book. It mostly comes down to how patient you are and what kind of competition there is on the site for the cards you send in. If someone else has the same card at 80% off, then there obviously isn't a great chance of selling yous at 50%, but on the other hand if yours is the only card on the site then you have a pretty good chance of selling it at 50%. It mostly comes down to patience in all cases though. You may sell some cards quickly or it may take a long time.

They process your cards as a group, so if you used the 8 week service level all of your cards will show up in your account, ready for you to price them. In the mean time, you should get a confirmation they received them and you'll see the cards listed as pending in your account until they are ready.
password- jetscollector
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #458 (permalink)

Quote:
awesome, thanks.

How many of the cards that you put up sell within, say 6 months? If you list at a reasonable time.

Basically, what I'm worried about is only being able to sell 10% of my cards. I am very patient, so I am willing to wait it out, but is there enough movement on the site to sell all kinds of stuff?
Here are my stats after just under 2 years and by no means am I a huge volume seller/buyer:

Items Sold 1,907
Items Purchased 348
Items Added to the Site 1,858

I've only had 1 card shipped to me and about 100 or so shipped out to blowout for a special they used to do.

I have 174 cards left in my current inventory of which only a few are from when I first joined. Your pricing, the cards you have (who is hot at the time, new releases etc) all help in moving inventory. I have days where I have a whole bunch of sales and other times a week goes by and nothing happens. There are a lot of guys/gals here and on comc from other places that do buy up a lot. There are a lot of really nice cards being added everyday and I can see the difference from when I first joined (also there were only about 250 sellers then too)
Start with a small batch of 50-100 cards to see how it works for you. Get a feel and go from there.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #459 (permalink)

Quote:

Questions:

I'll post more questions if i can remember them.

thanks in advanced!
You've gotten some great advice from a couple of guys already (I wish I would have known about this site before I sent my first batch in) but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I'm a new seller on COMC (less than a month) as well and I've moved more than half of my inventory in that time. When I got into COMC I was mainly just looking to sell stuff that has been sitting in boxes for a while and pick up some extra $$ for cards that I want. I priced my cards very low (about 85% discount at first) and sold a bunch in the first few days. Most of those were purchased and relisted by other sellers. Some of those are still sitting in someone else's inventory while others sold again for much higher than I had them priced. After the first few days, I adjusted my prices (down to about an 80% discount) and have been moving a few cards a week.

Even at an 80% discount, people still make offers for lower purchase prices so don't be afraid to set a lower discount rate (as DaClyde suggests) because you will get offers so give yourself some room to work.

In the end I think you can move your cards for the price you want but it will take some time. I agree with Cactuspies - send in 50 or 100 cards to start. It will give you a chance to get familiar with how it all works then add more inventory after you are comfortable. Also, try to search for some of the cards you plan on sending in - see what others are selling it for and how many are in stock. That will give you an idea of what cards are more likely to sell.

Hope this helps and good luck!
bmac56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #460 (permalink)

Great advice.

Thanks all for the input.

I will check the site right now for cads i am sending in.

I was going to send 500 in. I just have way too many cards, and need to dump these jerseys/rcs etc. If they don't sell, i can always get them back.

But I am definitely excited to try this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac56 View Post
You've gotten some great advice from a couple of guys already (I wish I would have known about this site before I sent my first batch in) but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I'm a new seller on COMC (less than a month) as well and I've moved more than half of my inventory in that time. When I got into COMC I was mainly just looking to sell stuff that has been sitting in boxes for a while and pick up some extra $$ for cards that I want. I priced my cards very low (about 85% discount at first) and sold a bunch in the first few days. Most of those were purchased and relisted by other sellers. Some of those are still sitting in someone else's inventory while others sold again for much higher than I had them priced. After the first few days, I adjusted my prices (down to about an 80% discount) and have been moving a few cards a week.

Even at an 80% discount, people still make offers for lower purchase prices so don't be afraid to set a lower discount rate (as DaClyde suggests) because you will get offers so give yourself some room to work.

In the end I think you can move your cards for the price you want but it will take some time. I agree with Cactuspies - send in 50 or 100 cards to start. It will give you a chance to get familiar with how it all works then add more inventory after you are comfortable. Also, try to search for some of the cards you plan on sending in - see what others are selling it for and how many are in stock. That will give you an idea of what cards are more likely to sell.

Hope this helps and good luck!
password- jetscollector
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #461 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

So has the site flat-lined for anyone else this morning? I got a notification on some cards being sold and can't get a response from their server when trying to access the site.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #462 (permalink)

It's down for me too.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #463 (permalink)

Yeah, its down. Just checked their twitter feed for any updates as the last time this happened they said the system was now set up to send them an alert when the server was down. Looks like they were attending the 'Sports Collectors Industry Summit' as of Tuesday, which I assume is still going on. That and its still very early in the morning west coast time. Hopefully someone is left at the main offices that can deal with this problem shortly and its not down until they get back from the Summit.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #464 (permalink)

Default comc is now working

i just checked the site is working for me now.
koiman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #465 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Guys...can anyone else confirm the site is down again? It was up this morning as I sold a few cards and sent a few offers, and went to check a counter and cant get on!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #466 (permalink)

I was able to log in just fine, and it seemed to be quicker than ever.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #467 (permalink)

Hello all! This thread has a lot of great advice/ideas and as a new seller on COMC, it has been very informative and helpful. That is what I like about this hobby. In general most people are very nice and willing to help one another.

I really enjoy COMC. I’ve found lots of cards for my collection, been able to sell some things, and the site is very user-friendly. I really don’t have any complaints but do have some suggestions on possible improvements.

I have my cards priced pretty low right now (about an 80% discount on everything) mainly because I want to move inventory and buy more cards for my collection. Even with an 80% discount I still get offers to buy for less (I don’t mind necessarily but I’d like to make some money). Recently, someone made an offer on three of my cards with a book value of $30. At an 80% discount, I was only asking $6 but the buyer offered $4 (roughly an 87% discount). I knew these cards would be flipped so I decided to look at their cards and see if there was anything I wanted. My strategy was to find a card or several cards with an equal book value (or close to it) and make an offer of $4. My plan was thwarted however as I found that you cannot make an offer for less than 50% of the asking price.

So I guess my question is this – why the limit on offers? If someone wants my cards at an 87% discount, shouldn’t I be able to at least ask the same? The worst that can happen is that we both reject the offers.

This situation also got me thinking about a trade function on COMC. COMC says on their website that they are exploring the possibility of offering trades on the site. One simple way of doing this would be to add a “Purchase or Trade” button in the “Make Offer” process. When a seller makes an offer on another seller’s cards they can choose to make the offer as purchase only, trade only, or purchase/trade. If the cards are mark as trade only or purchase/trade, the seller with the offer would then have a chance to counter with cards from the offerer’s inventory. Since COMC is dictated mostly by book value, it would be easiest to cap counter trade offers using book value.

Would it just be too much hassle or invite too much trouble to allow messages to be sent with offers/counter offers? I could see it being a big problem but I hate having offers outright rejected.

And finally, I almost prefer base, inserts, parallel and numbered cards to autographs and game used cards. With the exception of base cards, I can find a lot of stuff I need on COMC. I would love to be able to find more of the base cards I need on COMC but the $1 rule keeps the number of base cards available to a minimum (which from and economic point I understand). Without knowing the inner workings of COMC it is difficult to say how to make base cards economically feasible but how about just listing cards with a value of under $1 without a picture with a $0.10 - $0.15 processing fee and flat purchase price?

Am I totally off base with these suggestions or could some of them work?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #468 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

bmac

Post your base needs up Buy/Sell/Trade forums and you'll easily find help for most of them!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #469 (permalink)

I would also recommend trying Sportlots website for base cards.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #470 (permalink)

One big final question.

I just sent 800 cards in to COMC and was wondering how this is going to work.

They say that 5% of the processing is done, and that the due date is 6/18/2010.

Does this mean that I have to wait until ALL the processing is done before any of the cards appear in my account, or will they start popping up soon 1 by 1.
password- jetscollector
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #471 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

bmac56 - I think some of the questions you asked have been addressed either in this thread or the original one posted a while back. I might be able to help you out with a few answers/opinions though.

1) They set the max of 50% off asking price for offers because people were being bombarded with ridiculous lowball offers constantly. I think they had enough complaints about it and found that it would be a good idea, which I like.

2) While a trade option would be nice, I think it would be a programming nightmare to add a trade/trade & cash option. It is very doable, but writing the code for it would/will take some time. Not sure how it would effect the inventory management, as I have no clue how that works. But I am sure it would create additional steps in the process requiring more people and/or time.

3) There are better alternatives for base cards. As Mike pointed out, sportlots is about as good as it gets for set fillers. Most of the cards you can pick up for about $.18 each and reasonable shipping. Also, doesn't hurt to post set needs on the forum here. Lots of guys are more than willing to help people out with filling in sets for little to no cost.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #472 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

Quote:
One big final question.

I just sent 800 cards in to COMC and was wondering how this is going to work.

They say that 5% of the processing is done, and that the due date is 6/18/2010.

Does this mean that I have to wait until ALL the processing is done before any of the cards appear in my account, or will they start popping up soon 1 by 1.
All of the cards will appear at once. The % indicators basically indicate that the batch has been through a certain portion of the process. I believe the 5% just indicates that the cards were received.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #473 (permalink)

Thanks, and I forgot this one:

If the due date is 6/18, does that mean that i really have to wait that long, or is there a chance it will be done before that? What is the typical wait time for 8 weeks? I'm hoping they can get it done earlier.
password- jetscollector
Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #474 (permalink)

iluvfish2, ohiomike, and pskell02 - thanks for the responses! Like I said, that's what's good about this hobby - nice people willing to help out fellow collectors! I'll check Sportslots for sure and get my want list put together.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #475 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

There is a chance it could be done early, but I wouldn't plan on it. My last few batches have all posted on their due date (usually in the evening).