Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

Hi Tim,

Thank you for continuing to move COMC forward. I am optimistic that this will be the marketplace for collectors in the hopefully not-too-distant future.

There are some ideas I have to help improve the usability of the site. Here are a couple of them:

-I'd like to be able to flag items in my inventory with much more variety than currently available. For instance, I may want to flag cards for my own PC ('not for sale' could work for that), separate cards for my brother, cards that I may want to change the price on soon if they don't get any interest, etc.. Several different colored flags could serve this purpose in any way imaginable.
This could even be taken to the next level with the implementation of automatic flags (perhaps with email notifications). Examples would include cards with:
*recent price increases
*recent price decreases
*no purchase after being for sale for more than X amount of time
*no offers after X amount of time
*asking prices between $.26 and $.5 (this is particularly useful toward the end of the month)

-I think the single most useful improvement that the site can benefit is advanced browsing and filtering capabilities similar to those that Beckett use now. In addition to sport and year, I would like the option to filter by:
*min price and max price
*card types (game used, autographed, serial #'d, etc.--the ability to select multiple options is critical)
*team
*seller name (if practical w/ a drop down list)
I have lost a lot of hours looking for things like cards with a BV of at $5 priced at least 90% off. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would buy much more actively if they could easily find game used Red Sox cards priced at least 60% off book (but with an asking price no higher than $10). I realize this may be difficult to implement but if it is at all possible this could provide a remarkable transformation.

I hope these ideas help! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

I know I'm excited about the updates and changes. I have a feeling that I'll finally be able to stay away from retail blasters (& the overpriced LCS) and get back with the hobby boxes to scratch my itch. I like the direction COMC is heading in and the personal feedback we are getting from Tim. The shipping update is also a plus. Glad to be a part of this. Probably like most of the COMC veterans, I think that this will bring both more sellers as well as a lot more buyers.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10

Last edited by Cactuspies; 08-25-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: updated info
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

i noticed that for bulk shipping it is $10 extra for international ... is it possible to send first class to canada for the bulk shipping too? That way, shipping would cost a similar amount as shipping within the USA
dooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #29 (permalink)

For those that haven't seen it yet...

BULK SHIPPING:
# Minimum order is 50 cards
# Available the last 7 days of the month
# Packaged the first week of the month
# Shipped securely without sleeves
# Shipped via USPS Priority Mail
# $15 for the first 50 cards
# 15¢ for each additional card
# $10 extra for international orders
# $1 extra for each graded card

I'd just like to give kudos to Tim and the team at COMC for implementing this new rate. Its even better than I was hoping it would be. The lower the S/H is for our buyers, the more they will be willing and able to buy, and thus the better things will be for the COMC sellers. So with that said, I think there is still room for improvement in the future. But I believe this is definitely a fair deal for our buyers... and especially for buyers like me who are also sellers and do a lot of buying of cards to have cards shipped.

It has not even been a year since I discovered COMC and began buying/selling there... but in less than a year I have been more impressed with the innovations that have taken place there than I've been with anything ebay has done in the last decade. COMC truly is the future of buying/selling in this hobby!

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Will penny savers be used on bulk shipments?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Tim,
Have you considered adding a non-sport category to your site?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #32 (permalink)

Tim, welcome to Blowout. I was just thinking of joining COMC the day before this was announced!

A question on book values;
If we send in a card with no book because it is too soon to book, will the value be updated?
Also, what about book value changes? As in I send a card in bv at $25, then it jumps to $75.

Thank you!

And an add on that anyone can answer:
For sellers, you pay the initial card fee, and any storage fees, and that is it? I know the cashing out fee, but is that all there is? It seems like it, but I just want to make sure.

Last edited by ghost; 08-25-2009 at 02:00 PM.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
If we send in a card with no book because it is too soon to book, will the value be updated?
Yes, they update book values periodically. It doesn't seem to be automatic, so values may not be updated right away. However, if you notice the book value is wrong you can notify the site and they will look into updating it.
Quote:
Also, what about book value changes? As in I send a card in bv at $25, then it jumps to $75.
Book value changes are handled the same way. About once a month you will get an email with a spreadsheet that details your price changes. I have noticed that usually your asking price will be removed when a BV goes up so you will have the opportunity to adjust the price before someone buys it.

Quote:
For sellers, you pay the initial card fee, and any storage fees, and that is it? I know the cashing out fee, but is that all there is? It seems like it, but I just want to make sure.
That pretty much covers it. Of course there are shipping costs, but those are paid by the buyer. This is indirectly relevant to sellers, however, because some of your cheap cards will be hard to move; almost no one will buy a penny card because it doesn't actually cost a penny--it costs at least 16 cents if you are the one taking it home. However, because there are no storage fees for asking prices of 25 cents or less, it is often worth the risk to try to flip these cheap cards.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #34 (permalink)

I have a suggestion, how about having somebody that can fix the errors on the listings. I have 16 items in my inventory that I cannot sell because nobody will fix them! They were uploaded over a month ago and I have clicked the "Wrong data?" button daily since then. I have given up explaining what is wrong, they are all rather easy to see, that is if someone would take the time to attempt to fix them. And while we are on the subject, how about fixing these errors. The first 11 cards are all clearly wrong, I have also reported these for well over a month now. I even sent you personally an E-mail about all of these cards two weeks ago with no reply and nothing being fixed yet

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Tim,

I stumbled on the "Coming Soon" features on your Website. Any feedback of how soon these items will be rolled out? Some real cool ideas!

Coming Soon...

Want Lists
Get notifed when cards on your wantlist are added to the site. Let other users know what you want, so they have incentive to add those cards to the site.

Lots
Users will be able to create "bargain lots", complete sets, or even set a sale price for their entire collection. You will be able to buy these lots, keep the cards you want, turn around, and sell the rest.

eBay Auctions
Want to auction off some cards? You will be able to list individual cards or lots on eBay. The winner of the auction will have the choice of having the cards shipped or having them transferred to their CheckOutMyCards.com account. If the cards are transferred to their account, the user can choose what to do with each card independently. Some may be shipped to the user, some may be listed on CheckOutMyCards.com, and some may even be listed on eBay again.

CheckOutMyCards.com Store
Create a portal to CheckOutMyCards.com that shows only your cards and displays your branding.

Personal Website
Show off your collection. Let people know your favorite players, teams, cards...
LOL, I need to update this page. This was created before we had any users. The only one on here that I hope to create in the reasonably near future is the Want List feature.
timgetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan23 View Post
Thank you guys for your awesome site! I have picked up many great deals that I never would have found had it not been for your site.

I was wondering if you guys could add a message box on the offer page? As a buyer, I'd feel better to get an idea of what the seller would like on some of their cards. Sometimes I want to make an offer on a lot of cards from a seller, but there may be a couple of cards that the seller wants full value for. As the buyer, I wouldn't really have any way of knowing that (unless they are already members of this forum and I can PM them).

Please let me know if this is a possible addition that can be made. Thank you and great work with your site!
Sounds like you want a feature where you can express interest in a card, but you think the asking price is too high... Hmmm.... I will think about that. FYI, I am not a fan of letting people communicate directly on the site. That opens up a whole new class of potential security issues that I am not looking forward to policing.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Not sure if this question has been raised before, but here goes.

When looking at your own inventory and sorting cards, when you sort by "Only cards WITHOUT prices" you still see the cards that are flagged to ship. Is it possible to add a dropdown, or change the current option, to show just cards with no asking price while ignoring those that are marked to ship?
Great feature request! The site is updated so that you can do that now.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooly View Post
i noticed that for bulk shipping it is $10 extra for international ... is it possible to send first class to canada for the bulk shipping too? That way, shipping would cost a similar amount as shipping within the USA
Hmmm.... We have been concerned that shipping first class to Canada often takes 3-4 weeks, especially with larger boxes. Thank you for the feedback. For now, I don't want to make the shipping options any more complicated than it needs to be, but I am open to making changes if we commonly get similar feedback.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingmensan View Post
Will penny savers be used on bulk shipments?
Rather than using penny sleeves, we securely package the cards tightly in boxes. Of course, we always guarantee your satisfaction. In the off chance that any cards get damaged in shipment, just let us know, and we will take care of it.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingmensan View Post
Hi Tim,

Thank you for continuing to move COMC forward. I am optimistic that this will be the marketplace for collectors in the hopefully not-too-distant future.

There are some ideas I have to help improve the usability of the site. Here are a couple of them:

-I'd like to be able to flag items in my inventory with much more variety than currently available. For instance, I may want to flag cards for my own PC ('not for sale' could work for that), separate cards for my brother, cards that I may want to change the price on soon if they don't get any interest, etc.. Several different colored flags could serve this purpose in any way imaginable.
This could even be taken to the next level with the implementation of automatic flags (perhaps with email notifications). Examples would include cards with:
*recent price increases
*recent price decreases
*no purchase after being for sale for more than X amount of time
*no offers after X amount of time
*asking prices between $.26 and $.5 (this is particularly useful toward the end of the month)

-I think the single most useful improvement that the site can benefit is advanced browsing and filtering capabilities similar to those that Beckett use now. In addition to sport and year, I would like the option to filter by:
*min price and max price
*card types (game used, autographed, serial #'d, etc.--the ability to select multiple options is critical)
*team
*seller name (if practical w/ a drop down list)
I have lost a lot of hours looking for things like cards with a BV of at $5 priced at least 90% off. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would buy much more actively if they could easily find game used Red Sox cards priced at least 60% off book (but with an asking price no higher than $10). I realize this may be difficult to implement but if it is at all possible this could provide a remarkable transformation.

I hope these ideas help! Keep up the good work!

These are great suggestions. I have a feeling that you guys are going to keep me busy for a very long time. FYI, a few of these things are already possible with the Bulk Price Editing tool.
Bulk Price Editing (Beta) CheckOutMyCards.com Blog
Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Tim,
Have you considered adding a non-sport category to your site?
We hope to start supporting non-sports cards very shortly.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
I have a suggestion, how about having somebody that can fix the errors on the listings. I have 16 items in my inventory that I cannot sell because nobody will fix them! They were uploaded over a month ago and I have clicked the "Wrong data?" button daily since then. I have given up explaining what is wrong, they are all rather easy to see, that is if someone would take the time to attempt to fix them. And while we are on the subject, how about fixing these errors. The first 11 cards are all clearly wrong, I have also reported these for well over a month now. I even sent you personally an E-mail about all of these cards two weeks ago with no reply and nothing being fixed yet
The way these were listed in Beckett was very confusing, but we figured it out. They are all being corrected today.

FYI, I don't recommend sending email directly to me. We have a couple people monitoring our staff email address. Stuff frequently gets buried in my inbox.

Last edited by timgetsch; 08-26-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #43 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Tim

On that same note..any way to notify the reportee about the change being made? I know the last time I reported a card, i had marked it not for sale (so I didnt accidently price it since it was wrong) and almost forgot about it. Think it spend 2 weeks in my inventory before I noticed it and then put it for sale.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Tim

On that same note..any way to notify the reportee about the change being made? I know the last time I reported a card, i had marked it not for sale (so I didnt accidently price it since it was wrong) and almost forgot about it. Think it spend 2 weeks in my inventory before I noticed it and then put it for sale.
I think you should end up getting the standard price change email with the PDF attached. The only time this wouldn't happen is if the data changed but the price didn't... or if we have a bug in our system. I belive we had an issue for a couple weeks last month that prevented the price change emails from going out. Normally those get sent out every time we upload any price changes, which could happen multiple times per day.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgetsch View Post
We hope to start supporting non-sports cards very shortly.
WooHoo!

Time to get more cards ready for shipping.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #46 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
WooHoo!

Time to get more cards ready for shipping.
Hey Matt, what do you have in non-sport? Are you holding out on me?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #47 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Quote:
I think you should end up getting the standard price change email with the PDF attached. The only time this wouldn't happen is if the data changed but the price didn't... or if we have a bug in our system. I belive we had an issue for a couple weeks last month that prevented the price change emails from going out. Normally those get sent out every time we upload any price changes, which could happen multiple times per day.
Tim, in this case it was a total data change. The Player listed was wrong. I can't remember who it was listed, lets say it was Farve, but the card was Pennington. It was fixed, but I never got any notice on it.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #48 (permalink)

I have a question.

I have some cards from 2008 National Baseball Card Day from 2008 Topps and 2008 Upper Deck, These came from a mlb.com promotion, do you accept promotion cards. I am not sure if these particular cards are listed in Beckett.

Jacquizz Rodgers Collector!
washingtonmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtonmark View Post
I have some cards from 2008 National Baseball Card Day from 2008 Topps and 2008 Upper Deck, These came from a mlb.com promotion, do you accept promotion cards. I am not sure if these particular cards are listed in Beckett.
They are listed in Beckett.
2008 Topps National Baseball Card Day Baseball Cards - CheckOutMyCards.com
2008 Upper Deck National Baseball Card Day Baseball Cards - CheckOutMyCards.com
Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
The way these were listed in Beckett was very confusing, but we figured it out. They are all being corrected today.

FYI, I don't recommend sending email directly to me. We have a couple people monitoring our staff email address. Stuff frequently gets buried in my inbox.
Thank you for taking care of the Bowman cards finally. But why did it need to take over a month to get it fixed? And my cards are still not corrected. Again, why should it take over a month to get an error fixed?

Is it possible to not show cards you have marked ready to ship when selecting Only show cards flagged "Not For Sale". There is already an option to show cards that are ready to ship.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote