Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #526 (permalink)

Hi Darren! Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

The issue I'm having isn't whether COMC accepts Magic cards. COMC began accepting Magic cards a few weeks ago. However, when they started accepting them, Magic cards were not in Beckett. So COMC invented their own titles for the cards and assigned them NA for price. (Incidentally, they've identified them perfectly so far).

Since then, Beckett has started listing Magic cards. So I would like to see COMC switch the Magic listings on the site to align with the Beckett titles and use the Beckett prices.

For example, I have a Beta Mana Short which is listed on COMC as:

1993 Limited Edition Beta #MNSHR / Mana Short (Blue) R / * Book Price: N/A

This card was not listed in Beckett when submitted. However, it is listed in Beckett now as:

1993 Beta #162 Mana Short R :B: / Beckett Real Time Value $30.00 - $50.00

Right now, I only have 12 Magic card listings on the site, but I have a few hundred Magic cards in the pipeline, and possibly several thousand to follow. I've been selling Magic card singles since the very first day Alpha came out in 1993. I think Magic cards could be potentially huge for COMC. People who buy Magic cards like to see detailed pics of the front and back of every card. Also, a huge percentage of my Magic customers live overseas. It is much easier to sell to international buyers on COMC than it is to sell to them on eBay.

Once I have a sufficient number of Magic Cards posted on COMC, I'd like to start contacting my old Magic customers (probably by snail mail) to let them know about the site. Is there a coupon code or something that we can give to newbie buyers as an incentive for opening an account?

THANKS! - Erik
checkoutmydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #527 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I am happy to report that I have bought my first non-sport card on COMC.

Have you considered teaming up with non-sport update to help on some of the non-sport cards? I am itching to see Marvel Masterpieces up on the site.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #528 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
I am happy to report that I have bought my first non-sport card on COMC.

Have you considered teaming up with non-sport update to help on some of the non-sport cards? I am itching to see Marvel Masterpieces up on the site.
I think this is a really good idea. Beckett is not the leading authority in the non-sport card market. Relying on beckett data and pricing only for non-sport cards is like relying on tuff stuff or something like baseball cards magazine (when it existed) for sports card data and pricing. Collectors are going to want info and pricing from the top authority in their hobby. For sports, thats beckett. For non-sports... well, it ain't beckett thats for sure.

Honestly, for non-sports cards, I think you should rely on as many trusted sources as you need, including your knowledgeable sellers. COMC could ultimately become the most trusted authority on non-sports cards, where beckett relies on your data, instead of the other way around. I mean, I just had a certified Ink Works Alias signature card rejected by COMC. For a site that wants to get into selling non-sports cards, thats a nonsensical decision.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike

Last edited by ohiomike; 05-18-2010 at 02:42 PM.
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #529 (permalink)

so when will we be able to trade cards between diffrent sellers, i think that would be a cool idea, to offer someone some cards that you have for a card in someone eles account
Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #530 (permalink)

I'd like to see a universal trade credit system. Sellers can put a cash price on their cards and can opt to put a trade price on their cards. Some cards might be offered for trade at full value. Other cards might be offered for trade at less than full value. A high demand card might be offered for trade above full value.

If a person wants to trade for that card, then trade credit transfers from their account to the card owner's account, and the card transfers to their account.

That way, a person with a bunch of $3 and $5 cards might ultimately build up to have enough trade credit to get a $100 card, and a flipper might be willing to give $1 or $2 trade for a card they could ultimately sell for $3 or $5 cash.

The main problem with this idea is getting the initial trade credit dollars into the system. One way to do it would be for COMC to have an account of cards which are available for trade, and for them to give trade credit to COMC users for their cards.

Also, if there was a small amount of friction on the trade, then COMC could build up trade credit in their account which they could use to get more cards in trade. For instance, if COMC got 5% commission on a trade, and a $20 trade takes place, then the owner of the card would get $19 trade and COMC would get $1 trade. COMC then uses that trade to obtain more cards for their trading account.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #531 (permalink)

Um, that's kind of exactly what they do. Except instead of trade credits, they use dollars.

I think a lot of us use the money that we get from selling on the site to purchase other cards on the site instead of taking the 20% hit at cash-out, so we are doing the same thing you suggest.

Although it would be nice to offer trades to someone. Or to notify a seller if they have a card I want. For example, if CheckOutMyDeals had a card I wanted, I could send him a notice of desired trade and he could go through my inventory and pick things out to trade me for it. Just an idea. Not sure how COMC benefits from it.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #532 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddearing View Post
Um, that's kind of exactly what they do. Except instead of trade credits, they use dollars.

I think a lot of us use the money that we get from selling on the site to purchase other cards on the site instead of taking the 20% hit at cash-out, so we are doing the same thing you suggest.

Although it would be nice to offer trades to someone. Or to notify a seller if they have a card I want. For example, if CheckOutMyDeals had a card I wanted, I could send him a notice of desired trade and he could go through my inventory and pick things out to trade me for it. Just an idea. Not sure how COMC benefits from it.
i love the idea, i think COMC can charge a fee such as $25 cent for each trade that goes through. Also I know i would send in more of my cards that i have so i can have more trade bait. Its gives more incentives for people to send in their cards to have in their portfolio.

It also can get really complicated to, i know i might get a lot of offers of say $2 cards for a $50 BV card. That can get really annoying if someone gets a lot of those offers.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #533 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddearing View Post

This is what is basicly going on with you and I right now. i want one of your cards and I put a message out on the forum for buyers to make offers for the cash I need. Low and behold you are one of the people making an offer on some items. So we are basicly going to trade inventory.

It would be nice however if we could have a way to trade with people just throught the website. Because if you were not a memeber of this site and did not see my post than there would be know way of doing a deal.

But I think it would make the site by far and away the best sportscard site around if there was a way onsite to make things like that happen.
fieldersfeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #534 (permalink)

Right. But then you only "trade" cards that you would actually buy for that amount in cash.

I owned a collectibles store in the 1990s where I would trade for any card worth $1 or more. If it was worth $1 or more in high Beckett and in NM or better condition, I'd give the low Beckett price in trade. That trade could be applied against the sticker price of other items in the store.

People would trade in huge stacks of cards - often hundreds or even thousands at a time. One dealer traded me his entire inventory of cards and took out the trade in comic books.

I did millions of dollars in trades this way. On a typical day, I would do $500 to $1000 in trade, just in sports cards. And sports cards was just a sideline. My main business was comic books and action figures.

Anyway, that's the sort of system I'd love to see on COMC. If someone has $10,000 worth of $5 cards, maybe they'd trade it to someone for $4,000 trade credit and go on a shopping spree. The "trades" I'm seeing on most of these other websites are "I see you have 10,000 cards available. I'm interested in 1 of the cards that's worth $5. Maybe you could look at my list of 10,000 cards that I have that's also worth $5 and we'll swap."
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #535 (permalink)

i know i might get a lot of offers of say $2 cards for a $50 BV card. That can get really annoying if someone gets a lot of those offers.

I'd like to see the seller set the trade credit price and make it non-negotiable. If someone wants full value for their cards in trade, they should be able to ask for it. If someone is willing to trade their cards at 1/2 value, they should be able to ask for that as well.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #536 (permalink)

I like COMC, but I HATE getting the "Recent Price Changes" email.

lately they have not had any good news.

Two weeks ago, I had a card that listed at $10 fall to a new BV of $1.50

Today I had another big hit. Original BV $40, new BV $20.

I don't understand how a BV can fall so much, especially on a rarer card (limited to 400, and 5 years old) I can't see that many of them have recently sold to fluctuate a price like that. I haven't even seen any come across ebay or anything.
How does Beckett justify the price changes?

*** NEW CARDS ADDED TO COMC 6/8/14 ***

Last edited by weedyalan; 05-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.
weedyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #537 (permalink)

Here is an alternate idea for the way trading could work on COMC.

* All trading is optional. A seller can mark a card as available for trade, or not available for trade. They also set the trade price they're willing to accept for a card. It could be their cash asking price, it could be book value, or it could be some other number. Alternately, all trades could be asking price against asking price.

* If a person is interested in trading for the card, they indicate which cards they are willing to trade for. Then the person who owns the card looks through the other seller's items which are available for trade. They click on the cards they are willing to trade for. If they go over the amount of trade by a few cents, they make up the difference in cash.

* If the trade goes through, then the cards transfer ownership and COMC collects some sort of fee - say 1-5 cents per card that each party received.

* It would probably work best if there wasn't any haggling on the price once the trade price was set.

Anyway, I think a system like that should be doable, if it's not too much of a programming nightmare to set up.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #538 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedyalan View Post
Two weeks ago, I had a card that listed at $10 fall to a new BV of $1.50

Today I had another big hit. Original BV $40, new BV $20.

I don't understand how a BV can fall so much, especially on a rarer card (limited to 400, and 5 years old) I can't see that many of them have recently sold to fluctuate a price like that. I haven't even seen any come across ebay or anything.
On the first one, I'd just call that a correction. Beckett priced nearly all of the 2010 GU cards at $10 as soon as they were released by Topps. How can that price be valid when, at the point of determining that price, they had to pick a number out of thin air, and within a month, eBay was flooded with those cards that aren't even selling for $0.99 + $2.50s&h?

On the second...if Beckett is still gathering pricing data from dealers, most likely there were reports of there simply being no demand for that card at $40, so they degraded the price of the card. In lots of cases, the LACK of sales should be enough to result in price drops.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #539 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
On the first one, I'd just call that a correction. Beckett priced nearly all of the 2010 GU cards at $10 as soon as they were released by Topps. How can that price be valid when, at the point of determining that price, they had to pick a number out of thin air, and within a month, eBay was flooded with those cards that aren't even selling for $0.99 + $2.50s&h?

On the second...if Beckett is still gathering pricing data from dealers, most likely there were reports of there simply being no demand for that card at $40, so they degraded the price of the card. In lots of cases, the LACK of sales should be enough to result in price drops.
Both cards are 5 years old, and both are serial numbered, so the LACK of sales could also be because there is a minimal amount of cards out there. I just find it odd that they dropped so much after being consistent for so long.

The first: (old BV $10, new BV $1.50)
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Team Trios #27 - Jenkins/Ryan/Cordero/200

The second: (old BV $40, new BV $20)
2005 Donruss Classics Classic Singles #32 - Sandy Koufax/400

*** NEW CARDS ADDED TO COMC 6/8/14 ***
weedyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #540 (permalink)

Ok my question about processing times . My order was due today its at 95 percent since 1:30 eastern time . Its now 10:45 eastern what time is your cut off for the day? Is it your normal bussiness hrs or midnight west coast time???
ernieren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #541 (permalink)

Weedy - it's just a guess, but both of those cards are non-memorabilia versions of cards where a memorabilia version also exists. I think Beckett might just be lowering the multiple that such a card goes for, which they sometimes do.

In the case of the Koufax, I'm wondering how it got to guide so high in the first place. It was $40 when commons from the set were $2.50, but "commons" were still hall-of-fame players like Paul Molitor and Jim Palmer. Koufax should be worth more than them, but 16 times?

In the case of the Jenkins / Ryan / Cordero, it seems to be a mistake on Beckett's part. The commons dropped from $2.50 to $1.50 and somehow that card got lumped in with the commons. There's a Ryan / Seaver / Gooden card that still books for $10 and a Ripken card that still books for $12. Ryan / Seaver / Gooden should probably book for more than Ryan / Jenkins / Cordero, but it's hard to believe Nolan Ryan is a common. Then again, in this set, Eddie Murray is a common, so who knows?

Nevertheless, there was also a memorabilia version of the card with a print run of 50 that books for $25. How a base card with a print run of 200 is worth $10 when a triple-swatch memorabilia version books for $25 is a mystery. Something had to give. Though it seems reasonable that the card should still book for at least $4.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #542 (permalink)

ernieren - my experience is that COMC processes a LOT of cards on Monday, and that they often post right up to midnight local time.

Let's say I ship a priority mail package to COMC on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. That package will arrive at COMC on Monday and be processed on a Monday. Then the deadline for those cards will also be on a Monday.

The only other days I can ship cards are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If my shipping days are randomly distributed, then 50% of the time, the package will arrive and be processed on a Monday.

A couple weeks back, COMC processed a record number of cards - over 20,000 - on a Monday. They also recently snapped a 143 day streak of on-time processing, on a Monday. Though in that case, one of the key employees was busy with the birth of a child.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #543 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Thanks, Darren! Just to check, the following is in the format of the ConsignmentReceipt files I've received from COMC (minus the ItemID and the values):

SportName SetName Card# Description
Baseball 2000 Hideki Matsui Homerun Cards 200 Hideki Matsui
Baseball 2000 Hideki Matsui Homerun Cards 229 Hideki Matsui
Baseball 1977 Padres Dean's 14 Rollie Fingers
Baseball 1977 Padres Dean's 32 Dave Winfield
Baseball 2002 Calbee 027 Akinori Iwamura
Baseball 2006 Konami Baseball Heroes Black 006 Yu Darvish
Baseball 2000 Future Bee Power League UL 024 Daisuke Matsuzaka
Baseball 2000 Future Bee Power League UL 057 Kosuke Fukudome
Baseball 2000 Future Bee Power League UL 110 Kenji Johjima

Granted, that would be in an Excel file, and of course all of my spacing was stripped out when I posted, but is that what you're looking for, or are you talking about full sets in this format (which I'd be more than happy to provide if it meant getting my cards added to the site)?

Jason
Yes, the way you have it is exactly what Mark's looking for.
dwc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #544 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieren View Post
Ok my question about processing times . My order was due today its at 95 percent since 1:30 eastern time . Its now 10:45 eastern what time is your cut off for the day? Is it your normal bussiness hrs or midnight west coast time???
Our processing due date is by midnight PST.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #545 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
ernieren - my experience is that COMC processes a LOT of cards on Monday, and that they often post right up to midnight local time.

Let's say I ship a priority mail package to COMC on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. That package will arrive at COMC on Monday and be processed on a Monday. Then the deadline for those cards will also be on a Monday.

The only other days I can ship cards are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If my shipping days are randomly distributed, then 50% of the time, the package will arrive and be processed on a Monday.

A couple weeks back, COMC processed a record number of cards - over 20,000 - on a Monday. They also recently snapped a 143 day streak of on-time processing, on a Monday. Though in that case, one of the key employees was busy with the birth of a child.
This is all correct. And not only do we have a busy processing day on Mondays (with weekend packages arriving) but it's by far our busiest shipping day of the week (with weekend shipment requests).
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #546 (permalink)

FYI: Mark will be handling some of the recent inquiries (Magic cards, trading feature and recent BV changes). So rest assured that your questions aren't going unnoticed.

Thanks everyone.

Darren
Old 05-21-2010, 03:21 AM   #547 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
Hi Darren! Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

The issue I'm having isn't whether COMC accepts Magic cards. COMC began accepting Magic cards a few weeks ago. However, when they started accepting them, Magic cards were not in Beckett. So COMC invented their own titles for the cards and assigned them NA for price. (Incidentally, they've identified them perfectly so far).

Since then, Beckett has started listing Magic cards. So I would like to see COMC switch the Magic listings on the site to align with the Beckett titles and use the Beckett prices.

For example, I have a Beta Mana Short which is listed on COMC as:

1993 Limited Edition Beta #MNSHR / Mana Short (Blue) R / * Book Price: N/A

This card was not listed in Beckett when submitted. However, it is listed in Beckett now as:

1993 Beta #162 Mana Short R :B: / Beckett Real Time Value $30.00 - $50.00

Right now, I only have 12 Magic card listings on the site, but I have a few hundred Magic cards in the pipeline, and possibly several thousand to follow. I've been selling Magic card singles since the very first day Alpha came out in 1993. I think Magic cards could be potentially huge for COMC. People who buy Magic cards like to see detailed pics of the front and back of every card. Also, a huge percentage of my Magic customers live overseas. It is much easier to sell to international buyers on COMC than it is to sell to them on eBay.

Once I have a sufficient number of Magic Cards posted on COMC, I'd like to start contacting my old Magic customers (probably by snail mail) to let them know about the site. Is there a coupon code or something that we can give to newbie buyers as an incentive for opening an account?

THANKS! - Erik
Thanks for your patience, Erik. I am working to move everyone's Magic cards over to the correct information, and it is an involved process. I believe most of your cards in particular got moved over today. I have also sent a message to Beckett to actually list "Magic" in the title of the cards since they have them in the Non-Sport category and I am awaiting a response from them.

As far as a coupon code for buyers, we currently don't have that. Our biggest issue (if you want to call it that) hasn't been getting new buyers, it's been keeping a volume of cards on the site. Things are selling so fast, that we have a hard time keeping up, which is why we've run specials. We usually run specials of what sells, and we would like to see more of, like the current special running for vintage pre-1976 Topps cards. See the blog post for details: Vintage Processing Special 5/14-5/29 CheckOutMyCards.com Blog
1-800-517-3540
riotgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #548 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebreaker View Post
so when will we be able to trade cards between diffrent sellers, i think that would be a cool idea, to offer someone some cards that you have for a card in someone eles account
Thank you to everyone on your ideas on trading. We are looking into this, and are trying to figure out the best way to do this. Obviously we've got to make some money off of this in order for this feature to work for everyone, but we also don't want to do it in a way that will totally take advantage of the customer. We want it to be the best experience possible, which is why things are always changing/being added. Ideally we want to do it right the first time.

If you think about it, in a way you are trading your cards. You are putting the cards up on the site (hopefully), earning store credit for selling them, then using that store credit to purchase other cards on the site. Don't forget that only with store credit you are able to make offers, allowing you to stretch your money even further. And we don't take any percentage of what you use on the site!
1-800-517-3540
Old 05-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #549 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebreaker View Post
It also can get really complicated to, i know i might get a lot of offers of say $2 cards for a $50 BV card. That can get really annoying if someone gets a lot of those offers.
That would only happen if you had an asking price of $4, as the system will not let anyone make an offer of less than 50% of your asking price.
1-800-517-3540
Old 05-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #550 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedyalan View Post
Sometimes it's for that very reason that the price changes. There is not much activity on the card, and the player is not as hot, so the value drops. Trust me, I've taken a couple of hits myself. It's the way any market goes.
1-800-517-3540