Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #576 (permalink)

Though I can't get into the site this morning, after my new cards were posted last night I sold about 11 (including an offer for 4) and got notifications for all of them. I guess all my funky Japanese cards crashed the site
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #577 (permalink)

For what it's worth, I seem to have persistent problems getting into the site. Keep getting those COMC error screens. Would be helpful to understand why the site keeps going down so often... is it maintenance? System overload?

Are others experiencing this?
JimsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #578 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
You essentially can do this already. Just perform your search, and then click the RSS feed button next to the results tally at the top of the results listing. I've got several searches saved that way in my Google Reader. So any time a new card is listed matching my saved searches, it shows up in my list of blogs and RSS feeds. Works very well!
Thanks, great tip! I set a few up today.
drd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #579 (permalink)

Hi folks,

I have a huge collection of cards from around 1988-1996. I understand that many of the cards were overproduced and aren't worth much. However, I still have a ton of inserts, parallels, oddballs, and occasionally rookies or stars from premium sets with a BV between $2 and $20 and a current low price on checkoutmycards between $.50 and $5. My question is how fast can I expect items from the early 90's to move. I'm worried about paying to send in a lot of cards, and then getting no sales. I tried ebay but only sold 12 of my first 100 auctions. I believe having to pay for individual shipping is putting many of my cards out of reach of buyer's price range, which is why I'm considering COMC. Would love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks for your help!
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #580 (permalink)

Hi Mr Walken!

I think COMC is definitely worthwhile for you. Your best bet would be to separate out the cards that would have a COMC low price of at least, say, $2 or more and send those in first. You might try a small batch with priority processing so that you can get the hang of things sooner. If you have some better cards ($5 to $10 or more on COMC), you might even submit a few with express processing.

How fast they sell depends on a lot of factors. The one you have the most control over is how aggressively you discount the cards. If you're offering hard to find cards of high demand star players at 90% off book, they'll blow out the door pretty fast. If you price them conservatively, you'll probably sell about 2 to 5% of your cards per month.

Cards on COMC seem to sell about as fast as they would on eBay, but the storage fee is a lot less (especially these days) and you don't need to do anything at all once the card sells.

It's true that cards were overproduced in the 1990's, but it's also true that there are a lot of 1990's cards that are very hard to find if you're looking for them. Hard to find inserts of star players seem to do well. Scarcer parallel cards (for example, First Day Issue or Finest Refractors) seem to do well. Rookie cards of star players (Jeter, Griffey Jr, etc) seem to do well, especially if you'll accept offers of 50% off your asking price.

1990's Cards that book for $2 to $20 are hard to sell these days on eBay. They've always been the sort of thing that you would put in your eBay store and hope to maybe sell about half of what you post within 1 year or so. When eBay stores cost 2-3 cents per listing per month, you had the luxury of parking a card and waiting for the right buyer. Now, with fees as much as 50 cents per listing per month, you really need to post stuff that will move (unless you also spend $50 to $300 per month for a premium store).

If you look on the COMC sellers list, you'll see that a lot of the people who have been around for at least 1 year have sold 50%, 80%, even 90% of their cards or more.

Everything will sell on COMC if the price is right. If you ever get sick of the whole thing, you can either get all of your cards returned to you for a $25 fee, or you can go on this board and offer to sell your entire port for a tempting price and someone will buy every card you have. Good luck!
checkoutmydeals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #581 (permalink)

Does anyone receive responses from their web form email system? I have sent 4 emails 4 straight days about a fee issue and haven't heard a thing. Yes, I know I can call, but I'm not free during their business hours.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #582 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja613 View Post
Does anyone receive responses from their web form email system? I have sent 4 emails 4 straight days about a fee issue and haven't heard a thing. Yes, I know I can call, but I'm not free during their business hours.
Try this E-mail address, Jeff has been the best I have contacted there so far.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #583 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
Try this E-mail address, Jeff has been the best I have contacted there so far.
thanks....
Old 05-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #584 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebreaker View Post
i havent gotten any email notification in a while, when i get best offers. the only way i know is when i go in and check my account. is there a problem with it right now or did they take that away??
Hi all,

Just wanted to let those know that have been experiencing this problem that we hopefully have solved it, at least accounts with AOL and Yahoo email addresses. We've removed the hyperlink on outgoing offer notifications. So hopefully that will help.

Thanks,
Darren
dwc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #585 (permalink)

How is the checklist submission process going? I've got about 50 Japanese sets lined up to send in once I know that those I've already submitted are good.

Jason
Old 05-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #586 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc07 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to let those know that have been experiencing this problem that we hopefully have solved it, at least accounts with AOL and Yahoo email addresses. We've removed the hyperlink on outgoing offer notifications. So hopefully that will help.

Thanks,
Darren
UPDATE: Go ahead and give us the domains that you use that the emails are not getting too. That way we'll be able to pinpoint better where the problems lie. Thanks.
dwc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #587 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
How is the checklist submission process going? I've got about 50 Japanese sets lined up to send in once I know that those I've already submitted are good.

Jason
I am going through things you've sent as I can. The link that you've sent has been helpful as well. As far as Beckett using the data, I have no idea how long it will take. The top priority is using it for the cards we have already and that are coming in, obviously.
1-800-517-3540
riotgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #588 (permalink)

Default Question about pay pal

I just had my first 491 cards go up the other day, thank you for getting them done ahead of time, just wondering when I request cash out through pay pal, I know the 20% fee for you guys, but do I get fees from Pay Pal as well when money hits my account. Just curious before I request some pay pal transfer. Thank you and the site is great!!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #589 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

AJM, Ive cashed out many times and never got hit with PayPal fees. I'm pretty sure its the same for everyone.
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #590 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Who hoo...just logged in and found out I had 484 cards to process. Not sure how my count was off that much, but regardless...guess I know what I'm doing tonight
Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #591 (permalink)

I just went over $75,000 sold in BV! Woo hoo!
Super32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #592 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super32 View Post
I just went over $75,000 sold in BV! Woo hoo!
How much in real money? I have a TON of cards I could send in. How long did this take?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #593 (permalink)

Congratulations!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #594 (permalink)

Hi, I have never used COMC before, and i was wondering how the buying aspect of it works? Thanks a bunch in advance!

my bucket: photobucket.com/albums/ww33/crazybearsfan22/
crazybearsfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #595 (permalink)

As a first time user, probably the two biggest things that will stand out are:

1) you have to buy $20 store credit to start

2) shipping starts at $3, then $0.25 for each card thereafter.

Now, having said that.....with the beginning $20 store credit, you then have the opportunity to submit offers for cards, so there's the chance to get them cheaper than they are listed. You'll see the Beckett high BV, as well as whatever the seller is actually listing the card for, which gives you an idea of how good the pricing is. You can quickly blow through that $20. However, you can't submit offers if you have no store credit to cover the offer price.

On the shipping, it can seem steep if you're buying really cheap cards (under $2), but if you're buying a lot, you'll find that the prices really aren't much different than eBay, and you quickly get to the point where the shipping for larger lots is much cheaper than most eBay sellers. Also, once you've established your account, you can leave the cards you buy at COMC's facility and wait to ship them all at once, saving a lot in extra fees.

If you bought a $5 card today and had it shipped to you, that would be $8.

If next week, you bought another $5 and shipped it, it would be another $8 or $16 total between the two purchases. But if you didn't mind waiting...you could leave the first one in stock in your account, and the wait to ship the two together and only be charged $13.25 for the two $5 cards.

But I would highly suggest, before making the plunge, do a lot of searching on the site. See what all you might be interested in buying. Count up how much it would cost to ship to you. Then try to find those same cards on eBay or Beckett or Sportlots and see how much the shipping would be then. And with COMC, you ALWAYS get your cards in a top loader and bubble mailer or better. No PWEs for $3 shipping like on eBay.

Above all...I highly recommend taking the time to read this whole thread. Every question you have is answered here somewhere.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #596 (permalink)

so when is the COMC Iphone App going to come out???
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #597 (permalink)

Default Shipping

I was wondering...lets say I wanna do a trade with someone but the card I wanna trade away is in my COMC account. Instead of getting the card sent back to me and then sending it to the trader is it possible for me to send that card directly to the trader from my account? Is it as easy as editing my shipping information or something?

Thanks!
cardtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #598 (permalink)

Major props to the COMC crew! You guys posted over 2,000 cards to my account in the last few days - many of them several days early! You're actually posting them faster than I can price them.

A couple of quick observations -

I received an email yesterday titled 'Offer Canceled'. If you are removing the word 'offer' from your email titles, you might want to reword that.

I just received two different offers on the exact same card. After I accepted the first, the other offer was still open, and the only option available to me was to reject it. I would like it if there was some way to let the buyer know that I wasn't rejecting their offer because I didn't like the offer, but because that specific card had sold. (Sorry SteveSC if you're reading this. I have a duplicate and will accept your offer on that)

Thanks! - Erik
Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #599 (permalink)

Cardtrader - yes you can do it and yes, it is that easy.

Mark your card to ship and then edit the shipping information for the person you want to send it to. The shipping costs ($3+) will come out of your account.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #600 (permalink)

Hi guys - I need some advice.

I just added about 100 cards to COMC. I've noticed at least 15 cards where the scans are pretty bad (way off center). The link to my cards is below. Personally, I would like to ask that some of the cards be re-scanned but perhaps I'm being too picky. What do you guys think?

bmac56's Cards - CheckOutMyCards.com