Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #926 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
The $50.00 month subscription fee seems to work for only a few sellers that have 5,000+ cards selling for under $1.00. I think this needs to be tweaked, but I am a cheapskate and I am rarely willing to pay extra for convenience (e.g. automatic offer acceptance at a percentage that I set).
This is my feeling on a subscription fee too. $50 is just way too much for too few additional services.

Thats one of my biggest disappointments with COMC. They offer little to no incentive programs for bigger users like almost every other website would, including the much hated ebay, and almost any innovation comes at a cost. Even ebay offers fee discounts, a higher tier of customer service, elevated search standings, etc for their 'top sellers' and they are probably the least seller-friendly site around.

Ebay also innovates largely for free. If they come up with a tool that helps their sellers, like Turbo Lister or File Exchange, its usually a free service.

It seems like COMC wants to charge their users (at least initially) to make use of anything new or helpful. There is also almost no incentive to be a larger user on the site. At least give those users making you the most money a discount on the overpriced features you're charging a monthly fee for.

But on the other hand, I'm fine making use of the site under the normal conditions I always have...

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #927 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
This is my feeling on a subscription fee too. $50 is just way too much for too few additional services.

Thats one of my biggest disappointments with COMC. They offer little to no incentive programs for bigger users like almost every other website would, including the much hated ebay, and almost any innovation comes at a cost. Even ebay offers fee discounts, a higher tier of customer service, elevated search standings, etc for their 'top sellers' and they are probably the least seller-friendly site around.

Ebay also innovates largely for free. If they come up with a tool that helps their sellers, like Turbo Lister or File Exchange, its usually a free service.

It seems like COMC wants to charge their users (at least initially) to make use of anything new or helpful. There is also almost no incentive to be a larger user on the site. At least give those users making you the most money a discount on the overpriced features you're charging a monthly fee for.

But on the other hand, I'm fine making use of the site under the normal conditions I always have...
One option may be to allow the subscribing users to continue to use the 15 cent 8 week option.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #928 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
One option may be to allow the subscribing users to continue to use the 15 cent 8 week option.
Now that is an idea where I could easily justify spending $50 a month to subscribe.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #929 (permalink)

Quote:
Now that is an idea where I could easily justify spending $50 a month to subscribe.
Yeah, right now it just comes down to how many cards you have on the site between .25 and 1.00. I just looked and I have about 1500. So, I'll have to more than triple my inventory to make subscribing worthwhile.

I don't really value the offer "features" at anything. The offers I am willing to accept vary widely based on which cards I'm selling. And if I had a flat rate offer percentage, an astute buyer could figure out that number. So, I might as well just reduce all my prices by that percentage. I guess it's marginally useful in the one situation where you want to advertise a fixed discount sale and don't want to have to click accept a bunch of times each day. Not really something I would pay for though.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #930 (permalink)

I just checked, and less than 100 sellers have over 5,000 cards on the site. I assume less than half of those have over 5,000 cards priced between .25 and 1.00. So, this membership is for a pretty select group.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #931 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
I just checked, and less than 100 sellers have over 5,000 cards on the site. I assume less than half of those have over 5,000 cards priced between .25 and 1.00. So, this membership is for a pretty select group.
I'd bet less than that. I'm guessing there are MAYBE 15 sellers that have 5000 cards priced between $0.26 and $1.00. If I was seriously making a guess, it would probably be 6 sellers.

I'm guessing COMC is banking on more people valuing the use of those few seller tools more than we do. But like you, I don't value those as anything as I'm doing fine without them and don't really see why sellers should have to pay for something that can be automated. The work involved with setting those features up is the innovation to make their site better that I would expect to see from a website like COMC... not something to charge your users extra for.

So unless there is some real added benefit to me... reduced processing fees, reduced storage fees on cards set much higher than $1... I really can't see myself ever paying that monthly fee.

If I wanted to have 5,000 cards sitting around priced between $0.26 and $1.00, I'd just save myself the $1,000 in processing fees and upload them to sportlots, where I pay no fee at all unless the card sells. (And honestly the stuff in that price range sells faster and for better money on Sportlots in my experience too)

Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #932 (permalink)

To be fair, a few people will save a ton of money with the membership option. For instance, user "mocards" will save something like $250 a month.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #933 (permalink)

Taken from their blog post you can still use the $.15 option up until feb 14, just specify it with your package. It is nice that they have left this option on the table to get your cheap stuff in. Here it is exactly:

4 Week Service
– 20 for each card
– No Grade, Encased, or Jumbo cards
– No Coins or Poker Chips
– $3.00 batch fee (per 1-500 cards)
– Your cards will be processed at 15 if we miss the due date
This replaces our old 8 week service, but you have another six weeks to use it. Since that service is no longer published on our site, simply specify “Standard” on your package and make sure it’s post-marked by Feb. 14.
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #934 (permalink)

if I had a flat rate offer percentage, an astute buyer could figure out that number. So, I might as well just reduce all my prices by that percentage.

You'd be surprised. I've had my entire account at auto accept 50% off for about 6 weeks now, and at least 1/2 of my sales are at full asking price.

I think it also works well if you're someone who prices your cards at the bare minimum and then refuses to accept offers at all (for instance DDearing during his sale). The buyer gets a message 'this seller is not accepting offers below 0%'.

One problem with the auto accept / decline feature is that it's all or nothing. If I auto accept 50% offers, it has to be on every card, every price range, every sport. Even on this board, when people run specials, they usually make some exclusions. Since the auto accept / auto decline feature has been coupled with another feature which makes it advantageous to have at least 5,000 cards in your account between 26 and 99 cents (and that's just to break even - you don't start saving real dough unless you have thousands more than that), it stands to reason this upgrade is for people with very large, diverse accounts. Someone with 20,000 cards is going to refuse every offer on every card? They'll have zero cards that they want more than x% off asking price?

To take full advantage of the price structure, you'd have to completely reorder your business model. It could be done, but I don't think that many people will do it.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #935 (permalink)

I wonder if we're going to see more delayed processing without the 8-week level. With everything being processed in 4 weeks or less, I could see that possibly leading to some backups during busy times.

And since they'd only lose 5 cents per card if they miss the 4 week mark (20 cents vs 15 cents), I could see them being more likely to take that loss (and being able to get to those cards when they have more time) vs. hiring more employees or paying overtime.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #936 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
I hope they eventually make the $50 "flat rate" special an everyday thing. I really liked being able to bust a case...then dump most everything from that case into a box and send it in. Best deal ever, and I assume limiting the number of sets in a batch reduced the amount of work to process on COMC's end, or maybe not?
I personally messaged them asking to offer this again, but no go. They said they would be offering these new deals, none of which seem too appealing.

Im not a big fan of the .15 - .20 hike. I personally didnt care about the time saved all that much, generally the stuff I sent in I had sitting around anywhase, so whats another month? Especially since most of the stuff was like .25-.75 stuff, you have to make sure its worth a few cents more now. My question is, will you see less cards listed for .20 now? I personally won't send anything in I cant sell for less than .20. The previous fees at $.15 + whatever amount of cards x the batch fee, I was averaging $.17 a card. Its not worth sending some in at .20.

Supercollecting Cedric Griffin (06 Rookie Cornerback - Vikings) 71/153 !!
vikingfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #937 (permalink)

Even at .15 it was a hard sell. .15 + batch of .006 per card -- selling at .25 and getting hit for a 20% cashout meant at most I was getting 4.4 cents per 25 cent card. Figure in what I was paying for shipping, and I'm making 3 cents per 25 cent card.

I'm sure the new stuff will work out for some people -- Probably not for me however. Obviously, they are going to be far more profitable keeping the top 50 happy than me, so I don't begrudge them for making business decisions that fit their business vision.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #938 (permalink)

New donation program details:

Charity - CheckOutMyCards.com

20% of your donation is made in COMC's name....
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #939 (permalink)

Keep in mind, there were also changes to the bulk shipping options, so while it might be more expensive to put cards onto the site, it's less expensive to take cards off the site. Your 25 cent card had been costing the buyer 50 cents after postage. Now it might only cost them 40 cents.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #940 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
New donation program details:

Charity - CheckOutMyCards.com

20% of your donation is made in COMC's name....
Seems a little tacky, but my bigger question is who is setting the prices on the charity account? If I'm donating a card I can't get rid of for 75% off book, why would I want it to be put at 0% off book on the site? I'd want it to just sell for whatever I could get so that money may actually go to the charity instead of the card sitting on the site unsold forever.

I mean, they have a $15.00 book value card priced at $30.00 in the charity account. There are 9 others on the site priced as low as $3.00, and currently unsold at $3.00. How does the $30 card ever benefit charity?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #941 (permalink)

Quote:
Seems a little tacky, but my bigger question is who is setting the prices on the charity account? If I'm donating a card I can't get rid of for 75% off book, why would I want it to be put at 0% off book on the site? I'd want it to just sell for whatever I could get so that money may actually go to the charity instead of the card sitting on the site unsold forever.

I mean, they have a $15.00 book value card priced at $30.00 in the charity account. There are 9 others on the site priced as low as $3.00, and currently unsold at $3.00. How does the $30 card ever benefit charity?
Agreed. I'm guessing they will correct the pricing to be competitive like the "Cards_For_Alzheimers" account. The account process just started and I'm guessing whoever is in charge of setting prices is currently on holiday.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #942 (permalink)

The cards_for_alzheimers account is kinda annoying because whoever runs it seems to manage the prices a ton and repeatedly undercuts you. I wonder if the new charity account will mirror that. If so, no concerns about the account selling cars.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #943 (permalink)

Another suggestion for COMC would be to remove some fake cards from the site. There are NUMEROUS Topps Rookie Premiere Autos that are clear fakes, that I have reported, and have not been removed. I didn't realize the site was now Ebay and they didn't care about the buyer.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #944 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan101 View Post
Another suggestion for COMC would be to remove some fake cards from the site. There are NUMEROUS Topps Rookie Premiere Autos that are clear fakes, that I have reported, and have not been removed. I didn't realize the site was now Ebay and they didn't care about the buyer.
They also have a lot of backdoored cards that they refuse to remove.

1998 SP Top Prospects President's Edition #31 - Kerry Wood - CheckOutMyCards.com The cards are serial numbered to 10 out of the packs.

2001 E-X #105 - Ichiro Suzuki/1999 RC (Rookie Card) - CheckOutMyCards.com Every one that is listed on the site is missing the serial numbering!

2003 E-X Essential Credentials Now Fleer Bankruptcy #80 - Ichiro Suzuki - CheckOutMyCards.com In the past they removed these type of cards, now they manually enter the set in to the site, something they will not do for legit pack released cards.

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #945 (permalink)

Did not notice those before. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Granted, I believe most of the collectors on here to be a bit more knowledgeable than Ebay, however, I still assume a percentage of these cards have sold. Would be nice if we could get some input from the site as to why they allow these up.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #946 (permalink)

1998 SP Top Prospects President's Edition #31 - Kerry Wood - CheckOutMyCards.com The cards are serial numbered to 10 out of the packs.

What the heck? It's not a counterfeit card. It actually exists. If there's a variation of the card, Beckett sure doesn't list it and offers no guidance for the price.

That card is rare, rare, rare. If it's common, where are the other copies of the card undercutting the price?

The famous Gretzky copy of the T206 Honus Wagner card which sold for over $2 million was never distributed in a pack, and it's the most valuable card in the whole hobby.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #947 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post

What the heck? It's not a counterfeit card. It actually exists. If there's a variation of the card, Beckett sure doesn't list it and offers no guidance for the price.

That card is rare, rare, rare. If it's common, where are the other copies of the card undercutting the price?

The famous Gretzky copy of the T206 Honus Wagner card which sold for over $2 million was never distributed in a pack, and it's the most valuable card in the whole hobby.

I think he's just pointing out that there were serial numbered versions that came from packs limited to 10. To call the unnumbered ones counterfeit is not right... they were made by Upper Deck (probably for replacement purposes) but they are different from the pack version of the card as they aren't part of the 10 "legit" ones that were inserted into packs.

Here's what the pack pulled ones would look like on the back:

I personally see no problem with COMC listing these or the Fleer bankruptcy unnumbered cards, but they should be entering a note on each to differentiate from the "legit" versions. There is certainly a market for these kinds of cards and if I were a comprehensive collector of that player, I'd want
both versions. But I wouldn't view the unnumbered versions / non-pack pulled versions of the card as being a substitute for the real thing, just a variation of the real thing. So they should be listed that way IMO.

But if COMC is supposed to turn away any card legitimately manufactured by a card company because it wasn't a pack pulled card, then they'd probably have to refuse every 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr Rookie as probably a good 25% or more of those were never in packs, and there is no way of knowing which ones were and which weren't.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #948 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post

I never stated it was a counterfeit card, it is a backdoored card that was not inserted in packs. The unnumbered ones seemed to show up on Ebay around a year ago in large quantities.

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #949 (permalink)

COMC is supposed to turn away any card that's not licensed. That card is licensed, legitimately manufactured and scarcer than hen's teeth. Near as I can tell, there's only one other example for sale on the entire internet, and I own that one as well. COMC does NOT list the print run and mentions in the condition notes that there is no serial number.

Why should that card be removed from the site, yet, say 2001-02 Parkhurst Chicago National #10 - Mike Modano/1 or 2001-02 Parkhurst Gold Chicago National #10 - Mike Modano/1 be allowed to sit for $100 each?

The Fleer bankruptcy sale was over 5 years ago. The present owners of any cards from the Fleer bankruptcy sale should be allowed to offer any of the cards they own for any price they see fit. Saying that a 2005 Fleer 1/1 card is only worth $5 because you could have picked one up at a show in 2005 for $5 is as irrelevant as saying that a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card is only worth $5 because you could have picked one up in 1987 for $5.

Should COMC turn away a 1933 Goudey Nap Lajoie? Those were never pack pulled, either.

Last edited by checkoutmydeals; 01-02-2011 at 12:21 AM.
checkoutmydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #950 (permalink)

The unnumbered ones seemed to show up on Ebay around a year ago in large quantities.

So where are they now? I count 37 total cards on all of eBay, and 4 of those are mine. It's a 126 card set (or 180+ if you count inserts), so even if you bought every single example on eBay, you wouldn't even be 1/3 of the way to completing a set.

An item isn't common as dirt just because 1 or 3 or 5 of them were offered for sale a year ago.

Personally, I'm willing to blame the clowns at Beckett for their namby-pamby "not priced due to scarcity" crap. Every piece of real estate is a "1 of 1", yet real estate agents come up with values for them all the time. Every piece of original artwork is unique, yet they come up with prices. A lot of sports cards from the 1800's probably have fewer than 25 copies in existence, yet Beckett prices those. Beckett even prices some graded cards which don't actually exist in the grade which is priced.

And yet, on a card produced 11 freaking years ago, they can't possibly come up with a valuation because it's too "scarce"? I'm supposed to be able to figure out a fair market price for my items? I'm supposed to know that if a card has a serial number it's worth $x and if it doesn't have a serial number it's worth $y? Isn't that why the price guide exists in the first place?