Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #976 (permalink)

Looks like they may finally be fixing the problem...

"Down for maintenance
Server under heavy load. Back in 5 minutes."

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #977 (permalink)

Agree that it is getting harder and harder to use the site. Oddly my sales seem to be steadily increasing anyways. I suspect the site is getting more traffic, and they apparently aren't dissuaded by the poor site performance.

They need to get this fixed. Hopefully when they set up the infrastructure for the site, they accounted for scalability.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #978 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
Maybe sportscardgirl's bot has been slowing it down lololol
just what I was thinking. I wish I could price my cards at 100% over market value and NOT take offers and then tell everyone that my prices are the lowest on the site! HA...oh yeah...then I would turn around and lowball everyone on their cards.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #979 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
Agree that it is getting harder and harder to use the site. Oddly my sales seem to be steadily increasing anyways. I suspect the site is getting more traffic, and they apparently aren't dissuaded by the poor site performance.

They need to get this fixed. Hopefully when they set up the infrastructure for the site, they accounted for scalability.
You guys are feeling our growing pains. The site has been hitting some limits over the last couple months. Sales have been increasing, but the site is having trouble keeping up with all of the traffic. I am in the middle of fundamental rearchetecture of the core database. I plan to roll that out over the next few weeks. It is hard to predict how significant of an improvement this will make. If that doesn't give us the performance we need, we will have to make a substantial investment in new hardware. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.
timgetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #980 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgetsch View Post
You guys are feeling our growing pains. The site has been hitting some limits over the last couple months. Sales have been increasing, but the site is having trouble keeping up with all of the traffic. I am in the middle of fundamental rearchetecture of the core database. I plan to roll that out over the next few weeks. It is hard to predict how significant of an improvement this will make. If that doesn't give us the performance we need, we will have to make a substantial investment in new hardware. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.
Thank you Tim. It's great knowing you're doing what it takes to keep things running smoothly.

Best of luck with it all. I'm looking forward to your traffic growing form 1 million visits to 2 million visits by the end of this year.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #981 (permalink)

I'm on the fence on whether I want to submit a batch to COMC for sell. What I'm looking to move are nascar, basketball and wrestling. Most inserts, a lot of rarer stuff. Have some racing from the 90s, but also more recent, some low-numbered stuff of bigger names. Basketball, mostly lower end gu and autos, and a mixture of wrestling autos, event used and insert/parallel stuff. Is it worth it. I don't want to send in a bunch of stuff that can't sell for anywhere near what I want. Has anyone had experience sending in this stuff?
dirtydistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #982 (permalink)

so, what does not sell on this site?

junk game used?

would common star basketball cards from '84-86 sell?
at what price? 60% off?

does anyone move any hockey cards?
jjd1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #983 (permalink)

yeah...thats what I'm looking to find out..wish there was a completed sales search engine on the site just so I could see what people buy on here and at what price. I have thousands of cards I'd love to move and this site sounds perfect because I don't have time to scan and list them on my own. I just want to make sure I'm not out a few hundred bucks because my stuff's just sitting idle on the website since no one wants it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #984 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydistance View Post
yeah...thats what I'm looking to find out..wish there was a completed sales search engine on the site just so I could see what people buy on here and at what price. I have thousands of cards I'd love to move and this site sounds perfect because I don't have time to scan and list them on my own. I just want to make sure I'm not out a few hundred bucks because my stuff's just sitting idle on the website since no one wants it.
When I figure what to send in, I find a few sample cards from the set on the site. I look at the lowest prices available (if there is not one of my card available, I figure between 50-75% off book). If I'm not happy getting 1/2 of that for your card less $0.20-25 processing and less some percentage of "cash-out" depending on what you are selling, I wouldn't send it in. It really depends on what you are selling and how flooded the site is with that card. If there's 10+ copies of a card, you should expect the sellers to undercut the prices gradually over time. If there are a lot of unique cards, you are better off for the long term.

That said, I think stuff like baseball SPs and star inserts from recent sets do well until the site gets flooded with them. Mixed sports seems to do OK. I busted a case of 08 Donruss Sports Legends and am doing very well moving inserts, parallels and even the star base which has really helped on regaining value on the case which would have otherwise collected dust in a trade bin. If you are looking to move some scrubby GUs/Autos, they can go as low as $1.00 or less on the site before moving, which at that point, you'd be better off sending in applicable cards to Blowout for store credit.

In short, my advice is to browse the site and pay close attention to the volume of duplicate cards you see. The less common it is, the better.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!

Last edited by Chaddie84; 01-25-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #985 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydistance View Post
I'm on the fence on whether I want to submit a batch to COMC for sell. What I'm looking to move are nascar, basketball and wrestling. Most inserts, a lot of rarer stuff. Have some racing from the 90s, but also more recent, some low-numbered stuff of bigger names. Basketball, mostly lower end gu and autos, and a mixture of wrestling autos, event used and insert/parallel stuff. Is it worth it. I don't want to send in a bunch of stuff that can't sell for anywhere near what I want. Has anyone had experience sending in this stuff?
With some exceptions, COMC is a reasonably well-defined marketplace. You will be able to sell most cards for a little less than the current low price, on average. So all you have to do is search for your cards, look at the current low prices, factor in the processing and cashout fees, and decide if you would be happy with that result or not. This also assumes you can be patient and wait for the cards to sell at current market prices (even if you have the lowest price on every single card you send in, I wouldn't expect to sell more than about 5% of your inventory a month).

If you have a lot of cards that are not currently listed on the site at all, I would expect those to do very well.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #986 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd1979 View Post

junk game used?

at what price? 60% off?

The main thing that does not sell on the site is any card whose supply has driven the price to .25 or below. These will most often be base set cards from overproduced sets.

Junk game used doesn't do that great, simply because they have made so much of it over the years. How many people out there really want a Keith Van Horn jersey card? This stuff does move eventually though.

Checkoutmydeals would have better information about how well star cards from '84-'86 move, but I would expect very well. If you look at the site, only a handful of those cards are priced more than 50% off. The supply on those cards was very low, and I would expect there still is substantial demand.

Hockey moves ok in my experience, mostly comparable to other sports.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #987 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd1979 View Post

junk game used?

at what price? 60% off?

Junk GU at 1$ or 2$ moves well. Seriously, I've sold an Earl Boykins Event Used card for 2$, anything is possible

I also have a lot of hockey and it moves pretty good, better than basketball on certain set (like UD Young Guns and stuff from the 90's)
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #988 (permalink)

My first shipment of cards was recently added to the COMC site and I am very happy with the results so far. I sold around $100 in the first few hours and that does not count the offers that I declined. Most of these cards are older & inexpensive inserts that I would never have posted on eBay.

I'll be using my store credit to purchase new cards for my PC. Even if I do cash-out, the fees are less than eBay/PayPal. In short, I'm a convert. I'll still use eBay for hot cards and more expensive items, but everything else is going to COMC.

Here's hoping for some more specials on processing!
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #989 (permalink)

I am glad things are going well for you on COMC. You have some great cards. Were you once upon a time a B.J. Surhoff and Walt Weiss Supercollector? You have a bunch of tough cards from the two of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
My first shipment of cards was recently added to the COMC site and I am very happy with the results so far. I sold around $100 in the first few hours and that does not count the offers that I declined. Most of these cards are older & inexpensive inserts that I would never have posted on eBay.

I'll be using my store credit to purchase new cards for my PC. Even if I do cash-out, the fees are less than eBay/PayPal. In short, I'm a convert. I'll still use eBay for hot cards and more expensive items, but everything else is going to COMC.

Here's hoping for some more specials on processing!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #990 (permalink)

All the slowness problems seems to be resolved, at least for me. I've been using the site last night and this morning, and it is faster than it's ever been. I love it!

Additionally, I'm a COMC moron, I think. I listed a bunch of new cards from 10-11 Donruss NBA at what I thought were good prices (low book value), and many of the star cards got snatched up right away and immediately re-listed for double what I was asking.

I was listing at low book because I thought that's all anyone would pay. I mean who in their right mind would pay $14 for a Kobe Jersey card /399? I figured it was a stretch that someone would pay $7 for it!

Am I off here, or are those snatchers just being overly hopeful? Heck, if I could get $14 for a silly little jersey card if I just wait out a 1-2 weeks for a buyer to come along, then heck yeah I'll wait it out.

I wish COMC sales could be databased so I could see history of how cards sell for what prices.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #991 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
I wish COMC sales could be databased so I could see history of how cards sell for what prices.
Personally, I'm glad there's no such database. I think it would only drive card prices down. You see it all the time on Ebay..."the first couple sold for $100, so I better only list mine for $85 BIN"...for example.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #992 (permalink)

Quote:
All the slowness problems seems to be resolved, at least for me. I've been using the site last night and this morning, and it is faster than it's ever been. I love it!

Additionally, I'm a COMC moron, I think. I listed a bunch of new cards from 10-11 Donruss NBA at what I thought were good prices (low book value), and many of the star cards got snatched up right away and immediately re-listed for double what I was asking.

I was listing at low book because I thought that's all anyone would pay. I mean who in their right mind would pay $14 for a Kobe Jersey card /399? I figured it was a stretch that someone would pay $7 for it!

Am I off here, or are those snatchers just being overly hopeful? Heck, if I could get $14 for a silly little jersey card if I just wait out a 1-2 weeks for a buyer to come along, then heck yeah I'll wait it out.

If you are talking about adam2033, I would assume he knows what he is doing.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #993 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
If you are talking about adam2033, I would assume he knows what he is doing.
Yep, that's him! Someone else too, but mostly adam2033. So I guess my prices on star cards are too low. Good to know!

You know what it is, I just hate flat out rejecting someones offer, I wish I could send a note with it. Just flat out rejecting seems so bad. I feel obligated to counter with a lower price, even though my prices are already so low.

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 01-26-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #994 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Personally, I'm glad there's no such database. I think it would only drive card prices down. You see it all the time on Ebay..."the first couple sold for $100, so I better only list mine for $85 BIN"...for example.
Oh yeah, good point. Well, let me rephrase. I wish there was a database, and only *I* had access to it.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #995 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh yeah, good point. Well, let me rephrase. I wish there was a database, and only *I* had access to it.
Well then, me too! Perhaps we could share.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #996 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, that's him! Someone else too, but mostly adam2033. So I guess my prices on star cards are too low. Good to know!

You know what it is, I just hate flat out rejecting someones offer, I wish I could send a note with it. Just flat out rejecting seems so bad. I feel obligated to counter with a lower price, even though my prices are already so low.
I believe I was the someone else, lol. It isn't so much they are low, it is just a myriad of reasons as to why I picked those up. There are Kobe jerseys on the site at low book...I saw a real nice one the other day and it is still there..and in my watch list. Look at it this way, you sold them and that is the name of the game.

I know what you mean on the offering, I hate hitting the reject it myself, but I think for the most part people understand. I usually do on some crazy low ball offer, or if I have more into something than was offered. I think I am getting better with it though, and you will too the more time you spend on there. I recently started to send the same amount as my last offer, when doing the counteroffering thing...to kinda use as my "note", to say I can't really go anymore than this. It worked just a few minutes ago, so maybe that is a good solution, I don't know. All I know is I love this method of selling and buying cards!
papercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #997 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
I am glad things are going well for you on COMC. You have some great cards. Were you once upon a time a B.J. Surhoff and Walt Weiss Supercollector? You have a bunch of tough cards from the two of them.
I guess you could call me a supercollector, but that was not hard for those two players. The only really rare cards on their checklists are printing plates. I used to try to get all cards issued for any UNC alumni. However my priorities have changed and parallels don't interest me much these days.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #998 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercards View Post
I believe I was the someone else, lol. It isn't so much they are low, it is just a myriad of reasons as to why I picked those up. There are Kobe jerseys on the site at low book...I saw a real nice one the other day and it is still there..and in my watch list. Look at it this way, you sold them and that is the name of the game.

I know what you mean on the offering, I hate hitting the reject it myself, but I think for the most part people understand. I usually do on some crazy low ball offer, or if I have more into something than was offered. I think I am getting better with it though, and you will too the more time you spend on there. I recently started to send the same amount as my last offer, when doing the counteroffering thing...to kinda use as my "note", to say I can't really go anymore than this. It worked just a few minutes ago, so maybe that is a good solution, I don't know. All I know is I love this method of selling and buying cards!
I like that counter with same price instead of a reject idea, I'm going to start doing that, thanks!

And yeah, I'm happy with the sales really, but it's nice to know that I can raise some sales expectations on some cards, anyway. I'm used to lowering my sales expectations on eBay.

Thanks for the business!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #999 (permalink)

So is nascar a dead sport? Is it even worth my time. I have hundreds of better inserts/parallels. Legends parallels numbered to 25, stuff that should be good. Do people give a darn about nascar or should I stay away. I'd be looking to sell at 75-90 off book with my racing, not looking to make a profit, just want it gone, but also don't want to pay for every month it just sits out there. Looking for some insight..thanks

By the way I hate nascar..just went on a binge for a while when I used to be into it picking up whatever I could cheap. Just want this stuff out of my closet and turn it into baseball/football for my collection!

Also wondering about wrestling, I'm guessing the divas sell best, and the big names might be worth listing. Am I right?

Last edited by dirtydistance; 01-27-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #1000 (permalink)

How can I stop a COMC member from sending me offers and counter offers. This dude is just non stop. What he's resorted to now is sending an offer at half my ask, then I counter with my ask price, which should obviously mean I'm not lower it, but then he counters with a $0.10 raise in his offer. I'm sick of clicking over and over and over. This guy is obviously trying to annoy me into submission. This is nuts! Why is this allowed?

I see for $15/month I can set a min offer. Is that the only way to solve this problem? Pay COMC $15/month? I don't sell enough on COMC to pay them an extra $15/month.