Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #1401 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogzman View Post
I posted an ad and I have yet to see it. It is now the 7th. I went to the help page but only nothing in there for ad help. Any ideas? Below is the info:

Is Approved: Yes
Start Showing: Monday, June 4th 8:03 AM PDT
Show Until: Monday, June 11th 8:03 AM PDT
Home Page Views: 5,501
Classifieds Page Views: 12,342
Details Page Views: 98
The above info says June...this month is July...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #1402 (permalink)

These ads are starting to really suck with guys spamming every day. I just dumped $5 on a 3 day ad with 33 hits total . It only takes a couple big names to bury your ad. Friday afternoon, around 20 ads went up and mine sank right to the bottom.

Start Showing: Friday, July 6th 3:48 PM PDT
Show Until: Monday, July 9th 3:48 PM PDT
Home Page Views: 3,086
Classifieds Page Views: 3,442
Details Page Views: 33
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #1403 (permalink)

Funny thing is I haven't done an ad since January and have had solid sales without it. I'll probably do one ad this month before the national but so far I don't think I've needed them
Bottom9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #1404 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
These ads are starting to really suck with guys spamming every day. I just dumped $5 on a 3 day ad with 33 hits total . It only takes a couple big names to bury your ad. Friday afternoon, around 20 ads went up and mine sank right to the bottom.

I hear you on that! You know and I know the same guy running 50% off sales for "one day only" - everyday.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #1405 (permalink)

I have been with comc for over 2 years and I never look at the ads,Its the same 10-15 guys with the highest prices running the same idiotic ads.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #1406 (permalink)

Every now and then you can find some deals in the ads if the sellers actually stick to what they are advertising. A couple of weeks ago I made a port offer for exactly the amount the seller was asking for and he countered with $50 higher!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #1407 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom9th View Post
Every now and then you can find some deals in the ads if the sellers actually stick to what they are advertising. A couple of weeks ago I made a port offer for exactly the amount the seller was asking for and he countered with $50 higher!
Hi Bottom9th,

If someone isn't honoring their ad, contact us and we'll look into it. With port sales, many times the original port listed was sold and a counteroffer is for new items listed by the seller. If we notice a case like that, or the seller contacts us, we typically edit the ad to indicate as much.
SJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #1408 (permalink)

Okay thanks for the info. For this particular port it was for the same amount of cards originally offered. When I went back to look at it, it was sold out.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #1409 (permalink)

Quote:

They need to limit people to one ad a week. It was a good system that has effectively been wrecked by spammers.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1410 (permalink)

so, since COMC can so QUICKLY and easily create complex repricing structures that are designed to squeeze every drop of profit they can out of customers.... when are we going to be seeing those changes that you promised us this summer that will increase the functionality of the site? Like added filters to get rid of stuff that is not auto or memorabilia? I just figure this would be an easier change then restructuring the pricing system, but since this change wouldn't directly add to money in your pockets I guess we won't see it for a while? Even though it's been what, 2 years since you said you were going to do it?
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #1411 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastar View Post
so, since COMC can so QUICKLY and easily create complex repricing structures that are designed to squeeze every drop of profit they can out of customers.... when are we going to be seeing those changes that you promised us this summer that will increase the functionality of the site? Like added filters to get rid of stuff that is not auto or memorabilia? I just figure this would be an easier change then restructuring the pricing system, but since this change wouldn't directly add to money in your pockets I guess we won't see it for a while? Even though it's been what, 2 years since you said you were going to do it?
Coming from a web developer who works on stuff like this...it's not.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #1412 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Coming from a web developer who works on stuff like this...it's not.
So, writing code to restructure a pricing system from top to bottom, requiring code changes to several different aspects (processing fees, new S&H fees, account upgrade fees, etc. etc.) is easier done than writing ONE code for an auto/jersey filter?

I'm not a web developer, and this could very well be the case I Just want to be sure that that's what you're saying.
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #1413 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastar View Post
So, writing code to restructure a pricing system from top to bottom, requiring code changes to several different aspects (processing fees, new S&H fees, account upgrade fees, etc. etc.) is easier done than writing ONE code for an auto/jersey filter?

I'm not a web developer, and this could very well be the case I Just want to be sure that that's what you're saying.
Updating fees could be as easy as updating a set of values (change 20 cents to 25 cents here, etc.) across the site's code. Of course, nothing is THAT simple, but at least the foundation for the fee structure is there, so there won't be as much legwork as developing something from scratch.

I expect that COMC would want to do an auto/jersey filter the most elegant way possible. As a user right now, you can search for "auto" or "autograph" and get a pretty hefty results set, but surely it can't fetch everything, right? In the greater cards database, every auto or GU would have to be flagged as such so that filters are able to select ONLY those cards. If those cards were not flagged that way to begin with, at some point, you would have to double back and do that flagging (or flag their parent sets) to prepare the database for those filters. All of this doesn't even take into consideration user experience design, development time, and quality assurance testing (which I'm sure they'd do A LOT of if they wanted to roll out a new feature like this).

There are exceptions, but in general, developing a feature from scratch requires more resources than an overhaul of an existing item.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #1414 (permalink)

Preparing for Growth: Simplifying Fees CheckOutMyCards.com Blog

I haven't read such a backlash in quite a while. There's still plenty of confusion and questions left unanswered there. Hopefully some more answers will come.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #1415 (permalink)

Site could be doomed if a few of the top sellers stop sending in new cards...I hope these guys get it and make the appropriate changes to these proposed moves.

Quote:
Preparing for Growth: Simplifying Fees CheckOutMyCards.com Blog

I haven't read such a backlash in quite a while. There's still plenty of confusion and questions left unanswered there. Hopefully some more answers will come.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #1416 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydistance View Post
Site could be doomed if a few of the top sellers stop sending in new cards...I hope these guys get it and make the appropriate changes to these proposed moves.
It looks like there are plenty of big sellers on the site stating their concerns, so it's not necessary at this point to add to it. My main concern is if these changes will actually go through as-is, and if so, what is the deadline to get cards processed and/or shipped at the current rates as these will likely be my final batches/shipments.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #1417 (permalink)

All it says on the blog is a couple of weeks. I expect they will get an earful at the National.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #1418 (permalink)

I have tried posting this on the COMC site several times...but it doesn't want to go through...so we are posting it on here. Hopefully someone will read it from COMC, so our point can come across too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot has been said, so I will try to make my point with most that has been said as I have read all posts up until now.

Everyone is so upset because COMC is such a fantastic site and I know the passion involved with this, so COMC please don't go the way of Ebay. I know this isn't set in stone, and I have to think this reaction will cause you guys to tweak things up a bit...in honesty you always have in the past, so people need to just chill for a little before first reaction.

The main two points of contention seem to be the .25 fee being paid up front, and cards already on the site being charged that. I think any card that is on the site before the implementation of this new policy (if it is Aug 1), then any card pre Aug.1 is grandfathered in, and doesn't have to pay. We did not know about this, and many current ways people have purchased would have shifted, if so. That really is only fair, since we never knew about this change.

Secondly and the main concern, is the .25 fee. It is now known, that this only has to be charged once. As someone first suggested, I think the end user is the one to do that. We are one of the larger sellers on here, and 95-99% of our cards stay on the site, we rarely ever ship. To make us pay for that, or change our pricing because of it, when we never ship doesn't seem right. I totally understand that you need that flat rate shipping, it is a major shock and one reason we never ship cards out. Going forward, new customers will definitely like that vs. $45 to ship 100+ cards out. Everyone who is complaining right now, remember how much people (and ourselves included), complain about the crazy shipping rates. So, to meet in the middle...I think that could work.

How about the following: Have the person who ships out, pay the fee. When their cart is loaded up and they are ready to ship, you can have each card that will have the .25 fee showing, and the user can then pick which one(s) they will still ship out. If they feel they can't, they can try to re-sell that card until they pick up one that doesn't have the fee. This way COMC still gets the .25 per card they need (since it is clear you only need that once), and we as sellers don't get charged up front for something that isn't ours in the first place. That seems to be the major sticking point with customers (and well deserved), and this I think would make the majority of people, at least go "ok, that works. I still don't like it, but that I can handle alot better...etc."

All the other changes, I don't see a huge problem with...maybe another tier for people that don't care about a timetable so much. A 8 week or something that is only .20 to send in. The thing we have to continue to realize, is what you do in time saved for us, is huge. Sure, 20% is alot in a cashout %, but ebay/paypal fees come close to that and when scanning/packing/emailing/dealing w/ customers and possible paypal reversals/neg feedback threats/etc...this is immeasurable and is worth it. We cash out a lot more than the typical user, so we are saying this as hits us a lot. The higher threshold fee amount is a big positive, that can offset some of the listing fees, sending in fees, etc.

I truly hope you guys are seriously considering all this feedback, and I trust you are. You can absolutely be the Ebay for cards, but don't act like them by not listening to your base, and putting through what you want, regardless of asking/thinking what we would like. That was ebay's mistake, but there was no other alternative and everyone lived with it. You have a golden opportunity to almost single-handedly, take a major portion of their market away from them...other places have tried and it never worked out or got enough exposure, or fees were charged up the wazoo (Naxcom, etc.) You are on that path, of being that alternative for all of us card dealers/hobbyists we have so long for been searching...please, please listen. Sincerely, Papercards
papercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #1419 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercards View Post
I have tried posting this on the COMC site several times...but it doesn't want to go through...so we are posting it on here. Hopefully someone will read it from COMC, so our point can come across too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, papercards. I don't know why your forum posts aren't working; I haven't seen anything from you in the moderation queue...
Anyway, just wanted you to know we read this and we appreciate you taking the time to write it. We haven't gotten where we are now by ignoring intelligent, passionate people, and we don't intend to start now. =)

Thanks,
-Jeremy
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #1420 (permalink)

Quote:
GOOD THING #3
Tim is available to talk with at the National.
If you’d like to sit down with COMC’s CEO for half an hour of his time, send an email to timewithtim@comc.com and let us know what days you’ll be there and what hours will be best for you between 10am and 6pm. We’ll email you back a reserved slot.
I am sure this one is intended for SwagCards!

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #1421 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
I am sure this one is intended for SwagCards!
Very nice!

Update to time with Tim post- please don't waste time emailing if Saturday and Sunday are the only times you have available at the National as Sunday is blocked of for Stu and Lisa of Never Enough Cards as they have 20,000 cards they might submit if you make the changes they want and Saturday is reserved for Tom of BlowOut Cards because his new card shops don't have single cards and COMC would like to sell them computers for their card shop so you can order singles and pick them up at the shops because BO needs a cut of the sales through COMC too (see also Amazon).

Also, in case you fail to get an appointment, there is going to be a table in the far back right corner of the show that you can stop at to share your reccommendations for COMC. Please don't let the fact that there is no one at the table deter you from sharing your thoughts, just close your eyes while you talk and imagine a representative from COMC nodding their head while you speak. I promise they will be listening and you will see just as much change as if you would had you been sitting in their conference room in Seattle with all of the decision makers.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #1422 (permalink)

Default COMC Receiving

I'd like to thank Mike from COMC for returing my call about a package I sent out to them that was held up at the PO.
It was nice to know that they cared enough to call me with my concern, even though it was something turned out to be nothing.
Thanks Again!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #1423 (permalink)

So when exactly do the new fees take effect? I have some extra-thick cards to send in and would like to take advantage of the new lower oversize rate. Also, will the new 75 cents threshold be in effect for the September 1st storage fees?

On another note, my sales have really slowed over the past week or two. I've only moved a handful of cards and that was only because I accepted very low offers. I was hoping to build up enough credit to cover the 550-count processing special at the National, but looks like I'm actually going to have to add some cash to my account.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #1424 (permalink)

Talked with Tim and had a great time. I will post the full update with my thoughts and details. They seem to be really on the ball.
But, I wanted to get to the big change that is sort of hidden within the switch to COMC.
Basically, the 25 cent shipping charge won't matter for sellers that plan to do advanced mode anyway. Buying and selling on the site won't change.

BIG CHANGES COMING TO COMC:

However, the one change that is coming that I think people will NOT like:
COMC will no longer be posting BVs along with the cards. So if you search cards that you want to buy, it will only have the sale price next to it, not the BV. You WILL be able to see BVs of your cards.

You will have the option of paying 10$/month to get the BVs in your search.
password- jetscollector
jetscollector10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #1425 (permalink)

Technically, CheckOutMyCards.com will not change for a couple months. COMC.com will simply never have the feature that CheckOutMyCards.com had where we gave out Beckett prices to the public for free.

The original seller of an item will always be able to see the book value from the Manage Inventory screen. We consider this a critical part of being able to efficiently set asking prices.

One of the things that the book value did as we were growing is that it forced sellers to set fair asking prices. Now that we have an average of 3 instances of any given card, the market is doing that for us. Sellers are setting asking prices relative to each other.

Ultimately, this change was an inevitable consequence of being a successful site. We could only publicly show book value as long as we didn't have enough coverage or popularity that it might discourage people from getting Beckett subscriptions.

Now that we have nearly 1 in 3 Beckett values and we are very popular, there are a lot of people publicly encouraging others to cancel their Beckett subscriptions and just rely on CheckOutMyCards.com. If you think about it, it only makes sense for Beckett to continue licensing data to us if we pay them more than they would lose from the people that don't get Beckett subscriptions.

Our plan to make sure that our business relationship with Beckett makes sense for both sides is to phase out any publicly visible book prices and to offer an upgrade option for buyers that want to see the Beckett values. People that like the feature of seeing the BV next to the price can still get it. At first we will give basically an "all access" pass for $10/month, but we may add more granular options (e.g. 1 Player or 1 Set) if we get enough demand.

All of that said, we do see some benefits from this for both buyers and sellers. The site becomes significantly cleaner and easier to read for buyers. They don't have nearly as many number jumping out at them when they simply want to buy a card. Also sellers won't need to feel so compelled to charge something relative to book value. For example sometimes people think a card won't sell if they ask more than half book. Well, that may be the case if the buyer had to spend an hour digging through your dollar box or scanning your show case to find your card, but online they only had to spend a few seconds typing in their search. That time savings is worth a lot, and people are more than happy to pay a little more if they can save a bunch of time.

In the end, this should result in market prices being driven by the market and not by book prices.
timgetsch is offline   Reply With Quote