Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #1426 (permalink)

$10.00 a month for Beckett! LOL, That might be the funniest thing I've ever read on these forums. Good Luck with that!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #1427 (permalink)

1. Under the new shipping rules, if we send in a card and then ask for it back, is there no additional cost to this?

2. Now that ebay has gone to free auctions for sports cards, how will COMC respond to this?

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #1428 (permalink)

Love em or hate em, Beckett is also a business and they have to make money as well...if everyone could freeload their BVs off COMC, they're missing out on a lot of revenue, so I understand them offering a discounted service to COMC customers.

A question about my $55 boxes, I sent them in, but I didn't enclose a paper stating they're for the $55 special, however my 5 boxes have "dirtydistance $55 special" on the one end, so that should be fine?

I think I was able to get just under 2,100 cards into mine..of course, I went for the value here and sent thinner cards(mostly rookies, numbered, inserts, minis, autos and a few thinner jersey cards)...how did everyone else do?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #1429 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydistance View Post
Love em or hate em, Beckett is also a business and they have to make money as well...if everyone could freeload their BVs off COMC, they're missing out on a lot of revenue, so I understand them offering a discounted service to COMC customers.

A question about my $55 boxes, I sent them in, but I didn't enclose a paper stating they're for the $55 special, however my 5 boxes have "dirtydistance $55 special" on the one end, so that should be fine?

I think I was able to get just under 2,100 cards into mine..of course, I went for the value here and sent thinner cards(mostly rookies, numbered, inserts, minis, autos and a few thinner jersey cards)...how did everyone else do?
My LCS didn't have any 550 count boxes, so I bought a 660 count, and cut off one end so the external dimensions matched exactly that of a 550 count. I also wrote this brief explanation on the box I submitted, along with my username and "5th Anniversary Special" on EVERY side. I think I managed to squeeze in close to 400 cards into the thing. The Chrome thickness and slight bowing sure didn't help me have more room to send more.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #1430 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

I just want to say that I have only had positive experiences with COMC and I sent all 5 550 count boxes out the other day. Very glad that I finally took the plunge and started selling there at the end of May.

-------------

I also have been experimenting with port sales. One thing I noticed here is that people are putting up ports sales and then after that port sells they are putting another set of cards for sale and then selling them.

I have bought 4 ports. I thought all 4 looked like good deals.

1 was a wash - cost under $100 but I could not price the cards at what I paid. It looked good to me at first with lots of vintage, but without examining every vintage card I took so many priced at $20 that I got for $2.00 that are not worth $1.00. haha.

2 I might about break even if everything sold. These were very similar lots that actually had many, many of the same cards. Turns out they were the same guy and I am a sucker. haha. That's ok though - I have spent a hell of a lot more money to learn less valuable lessons.

The last port I purchased (at around $200) will easily double my money or better. Great port and I am ecstatic for the purchase.

------------------

Finally, I see a direct correlation in eBay's announcement and COMC's announcement. Does anyone agree that eBay actually (thank the Lord) feels threatened by COMC?

Is the eBay free listing announcement a bloody nose to COMC or more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
My LCS didn't have any 550 count boxes, so I bought a 660 count, and cut off one end so the external dimensions matched exactly that of a 550 count. I also wrote this brief explanation on the box I submitted, along with my username and "5th Anniversary Special" on EVERY side. I think I managed to squeeze in close to 400 cards into the thing. The Chrome thickness and slight bowing sure didn't help me have more room to send more.
You are ok here. What they said they would do for people without access to 550 count boxes is transfer your cards for you. Say you sent in a 660 count box but with only cards that would fit in the 550 - works ok.

The guys that said they were going to send 550 cards in whatever box they had - they would transfer as many cards into an actual 550 count box and process them at the special. The rest go regular rate.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #1431 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgetsch View Post
Technically, CheckOutMyCards.com will not change for a couple months. COMC.com will simply never have the feature that CheckOutMyCards.com had where we gave out Beckett prices to the public for free.

The original seller of an item will always be able to see the book value from the Manage Inventory screen. We consider this a critical part of being able to efficiently set asking prices.

One of the things that the book value did as we were growing is that it forced sellers to set fair asking prices. Now that we have an average of 3 instances of any given card, the market is doing that for us. Sellers are setting asking prices relative to each other.

Ultimately, this change was an inevitable consequence of being a successful site. We could only publicly show book value as long as we didn't have enough coverage or popularity that it might discourage people from getting Beckett subscriptions.

Now that we have nearly 1 in 3 Beckett values and we are very popular, there are a lot of people publicly encouraging others to cancel their Beckett subscriptions and just rely on CheckOutMyCards.com. If you think about it, it only makes sense for Beckett to continue licensing data to us if we pay them more than they would lose from the people that don't get Beckett subscriptions.

Our plan to make sure that our business relationship with Beckett makes sense for both sides is to phase out any publicly visible book prices and to offer an upgrade option for buyers that want to see the Beckett values. People that like the feature of seeing the BV next to the price can still get it. At first we will give basically an "all access" pass for $10/month, but we may add more granular options (e.g. 1 Player or 1 Set) if we get enough demand.

All of that said, we do see some benefits from this for both buyers and sellers. The site becomes significantly cleaner and easier to read for buyers. They don't have nearly as many number jumping out at them when they simply want to buy a card. Also sellers won't need to feel so compelled to charge something relative to book value. For example sometimes people think a card won't sell if they ask more than half book. Well, that may be the case if the buyer had to spend an hour digging through your dollar box or scanning your show case to find your card, but online they only had to spend a few seconds typing in their search. That time savings is worth a lot, and people are more than happy to pay a little more if they can save a bunch of time.

In the end, this should result in market prices being driven by the market and not by book prices.

LOL! way to run the site in the ground, I hope you go bankrupt by dec.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #1432 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgetsch View Post
Technically, CheckOutMyCards.com will not change for a couple months. COMC.com will simply never have the feature that CheckOutMyCards.com had where we gave out Beckett prices to the public for free.

The original seller of an item will always be able to see the book value from the Manage Inventory screen. We consider this a critical part of being able to efficiently set asking prices.

One of the things that the book value did as we were growing is that it forced sellers to set fair asking prices. Now that we have an average of 3 instances of any given card, the market is doing that for us. Sellers are setting asking prices relative to each other.

Ultimately, this change was an inevitable consequence of being a successful site. We could only publicly show book value as long as we didn't have enough coverage or popularity that it might discourage people from getting Beckett subscriptions.

Now that we have nearly 1 in 3 Beckett values and we are very popular, there are a lot of people publicly encouraging others to cancel their Beckett subscriptions and just rely on CheckOutMyCards.com. If you think about it, it only makes sense for Beckett to continue licensing data to us if we pay them more than they would lose from the people that don't get Beckett subscriptions.

Our plan to make sure that our business relationship with Beckett makes sense for both sides is to phase out any publicly visible book prices and to offer an upgrade option for buyers that want to see the Beckett values. People that like the feature of seeing the BV next to the price can still get it. At first we will give basically an "all access" pass for $10/month, but we may add more granular options (e.g. 1 Player or 1 Set) if we get enough demand.

All of that said, we do see some benefits from this for both buyers and sellers. The site becomes significantly cleaner and easier to read for buyers. They don't have nearly as many number jumping out at them when they simply want to buy a card. Also sellers won't need to feel so compelled to charge something relative to book value. For example sometimes people think a card won't sell if they ask more than half book. Well, that may be the case if the buyer had to spend an hour digging through your dollar box or scanning your show case to find your card, but online they only had to spend a few seconds typing in their search. That time savings is worth a lot, and people are more than happy to pay a little more if they can save a bunch of time.

In the end, this should result in market prices being driven by the market and not by book prices.

Also:

Nice job implementing the 3 offers rule. That should cost you about $10K+ a month since it cost you $100 from me just this morning. If your intentions are to run a great site into the ground and make people flock to ebay, you are doing an EXCEPTIONAL job.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #1433 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
I just want to say that I have only had positive experiences with COMC and I sent all 5 550 count boxes out the other day. Very glad that I finally took the plunge and started selling there at the end of May.

-------------

I also have been experimenting with port sales. One thing I noticed here is that people are putting up ports sales and then after that port sells they are putting another set of cards for sale and then selling them.

I have bought 4 ports. I thought all 4 looked like good deals.

1 was a wash - cost under $100 but I could not price the cards at what I paid. It looked good to me at first with lots of vintage, but without examining every vintage card I took so many priced at $20 that I got for $2.00 that are not worth $1.00. haha.

2 I might about break even if everything sold. These were very similar lots that actually had many, many of the same cards. Turns out they were the same guy and I am a sucker. haha. That's ok though - I have spent a hell of a lot more money to learn less valuable lessons.

The last port I purchased (at around $200) will easily double my money or better. Great port and I am ecstatic for the purchase.

------------------

Finally, I see a direct correlation in eBay's announcement and COMC's announcement. Does anyone agree that eBay actually (thank the Lord) feels threatened by COMC?

Is the eBay free listing announcement a bloody nose to COMC or more?

You are ok here. What they said they would do for people without access to 550 count boxes is transfer your cards for you. Say you sent in a 660 count box but with only cards that would fit in the 550 - works ok.

The guys that said they were going to send 550 cards in whatever box they had - they would transfer as many cards into an actual 550 count box and process them at the special. The rest go regular rate.

Stop, just stop. I worked out last night and my sides are sore this monring, all this laughing isn't helping anything.

holy crap, I am tearing up over here.

Glad you are getting on board Houdini! It is a great site, however they are just pushing out the average buyer (for me about $1K a month) with all their changes. It is a greed thing.

Last edited by EricInCT; 08-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
EricInCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #1434 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:

You can send them 50,000 boxes filled with cards, if there aren't buyers they will just be collecting dust. I would be very concerned.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #1435 (permalink)

Agree with the move to charge $10 for Beckett... it makes absolute sense for Beckett & COMC come to this arrangement. I don't see why there would be any issue with this -- protects the longevity of the relationship and I could see why Beckett would have an issue, particularly with COMC growing so fast.

COMC is the only site I'll trade on and while it may not work for everyone, Tim and the team are always listening to feedback and taking action where it makes sense. Some people may not like the changes and some may be bitter that their recommendations weren't implemented, but COMC does a grand job in tweaking it's business model for the general public and for themselves.
JimsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #1436 (permalink)

Thanks I didn't see your disgust with COMC on the 3 or 4 other replied you quoted on here. So basically they can sit in my closet and collect dust or sit in a warehouse in Seattle and catch dust for a few cents a piece and maybe someone will buy them if I get really desperate and blow them out at great deals if your ridiculous prediction comes true..do me a favor and don't quote my posts ever again if it has nothing to do with my reply, thanks

COMC ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInCT View Post
You can send them 50,000 boxes filled with cards, if there aren't buyers they will just be collecting dust. I would be very concerned.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #1437 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Thanks I didn't see your disgust with COMC on the 3 or 4 other replied you quoted on here. So basically they can sit in my closet and collect dust or sit in a warehouse in Seattle and catch dust for a few cents a piece and maybe someone will buy them if I get really desperate and blow them out at great deals if your ridiculous prediction comes true..do me a favor and don't quote my posts ever again if it has nothing to do with my reply, thanks

COMC ROCKS!
Just wait and see
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #1438 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCards View Post
Agree with the move to charge $10 for Beckett... it makes absolute sense for Beckett & COMC come to this arrangement. I don't see why there would be any issue with this -- protects the longevity of the relationship and I could see why Beckett would have an issue, particularly with COMC growing so fast.

COMC is the only site I'll trade on and while it may not work for everyone, Tim and the team are always listening to feedback and taking action where it makes sense. Some people may not like the changes and some may be bitter that their recommendations weren't implemented, but COMC does a grand job in tweaking it's business model for the general public and for themselves.
But if the majority are buyers you should be concerned, no?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #1439 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post

Thanks for the reply, Houdini! Appreciate it, and the relief it brings. Wasn't looking forward to a $103 bill cause I did something wrong

Edit: Just got the email from COMC stating that they received my package. They are processing it under the 5th Anniversary Special with an additional $20 off based on the coupon I submitted for first time sellers. They said I have approximately 450 cards, which comes down to roughly 8 cents processing fee per card. Man, for my first experience with COMC, I must say, I am VERY impressed

Last edited by tajikey; 08-06-2012 at 03:04 PM.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #1440 (permalink)

Any plans to fix the sorting feature glitch? It has been mentioned by multiple people over multiple weeks now. I would think it would be an easy fix.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #1441 (permalink)

I wonder if it might be possible to show last sale price (on COMC, where applicable) instead of Beckett on the new site.. if I want to quick sell something pricing it at high discount to BV was a good way to do so, because many people would sort by 'biggest discount' or biggest % off etc..
dpwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #1442 (permalink)

Does anyone know an easy way to do a port sale, but I'd only be looking to sell part of my port(older stuff that I'm looking to get rid of to make room for my newer cards), or would I have to go through my inventory and label every single card I don't wish to include as "not for sale" then set them back once the cards sell?

seems so time consuming
Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #1443 (permalink)

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but has there ever been some discussion about the ability to sell lots (players, teams, etc.)? That would be pretty rad
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #1444 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwoodford View Post
I wonder if it might be possible to show last sale price
Quote:
Does anyone know an easy way to do a port sale, but I'd only be looking to sell part of my port
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but has there ever been some discussion about the ability to sell lots (players, teams, etc.)

All of those ideas would require new features. If they can't get their existing features to work correctly I don't think they are going to be adding anything else. It is almost comical at how long a simple problem such as sorting has been going on. I love the site, but it sure could be a lot better with some very small adjustments and fixes.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #1445 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
All of those ideas would require new features. If they can't get their existing features to work correctly I don't think they are going to be adding anything else. It is almost comical at how long a simple problem such as sorting has been going on. I love the site, but it sure could be a lot better with some very small adjustments and fixes.
premium, it's been bugging me, what sorting function has been broken. I haven't noticed anything wrong.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #1446 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
premium, it's been bugging me, what sorting function has been broken. I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Sort from highest percentage off and look over a page or two. On the surface it appears to be working, but it isn't. It has been like this for over a month.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #1447 (permalink)

I was wondering about COMC's condition notes. I have some cards I want to submit that may have a soft corner or some chipping. The cards aren't perfect but they aren't damaged either. Some of them just came out of the pack like that. Would my cards need condition notes and would I be charged extra? Thanks in advance
romayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #1448 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo View Post
I was wondering about COMC's condition notes. I have some cards I want to submit that may have a soft corner or some chipping. The cards aren't perfect but they aren't damaged either. Some of them just came out of the pack like that. Would my cards need condition notes and would I be charged extra? Thanks in advance

Yes, they would probably need condition notes, and yes, they will probably charge you extra. They have been on a condition note kick of late.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #1449 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo View Post
if theres a soft corner, then its damaged
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #1450 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
Yes, they would probably need condition notes, and yes, they will probably charge you extra. They have been on a condition note kick of late.
Haha, I noticed this myself. I got nailed on some cards from 2012 Inception.