Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #1626 (permalink)

I gave the promotion thing a try - the $3.00 netted me around $50 or so right away, but it slowed down after the initial frenzy. Still have around seven hours left on the deal, so maybe it will pick back up. I still think I have a lot of good deals on there, but that's just me (they are my cards after all). I think I'd get the same amount of bang for my buck running an Auto Accept classified.

Check out the awesome COMC sale I am running!/
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #1627 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
I gave the promotion thing a try - the $3.00 netted me around $50 or so right away, but it slowed down after the initial frenzy. Still have around seven hours left on the deal, so maybe it will pick back up. I still think I have a lot of good deals on there, but that's just me (they are my cards after all). I think I'd get the same amount of bang for my buck running an Auto Accept classified.
I gave it a go. I ended up selling cards at about the same pace as without the ad (maybe a few extra bucks worth). It's a small sample-size, but I didn't get much bang-for-buck from what I could tell.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #1628 (permalink)

Running the AA sale now - I did better in my first 8 hours than I did the whole day my promotion was running. What's funny is I still have people buying my cards at full price - they missed out on the promotion I guess and don't read the classified ads.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #1629 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
I do find it odd that several "house" accounts are listed amongst the promotion, which essentially waters down the front page exposure rate for actual paying sellers.
Hi, Chaddie84. We have a few computer-managed accounts such as 'Staff' that we use to test new featues once we add them to the live site, since we can't assume everything will work just as well as it did in our development sandbox. Any promotions running on accounts owned by employees (my 'Jester' account, for example), will be charged the same $3 + 3% rate - there's no employee discount for Promotions.
An issue that always needs to be considered for any feature like a classified ad is signal-to-noise. We don't want to offer Promotions for too low because then the site would be so flooded with promotions that they would lose their inherent value. We also don't want to price them so high that no one uses them at all. We're hoping the current price is a good middle ground. From a strict profit standpoint it would probably be more profitable for us to have all ads at $1/day + 1% and flood the market, but that wouldn't serve the community well. There's a valuable lesson for us in the price of cards from the late 80's and early 90's.
Like everything else on COMC, the new Promotions are subject to change as statistics are analyzed and we receive user feedback. Let us know how your results are, we're always listening.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #1630 (permalink)

Jeremy,

I have no problem with employees getting better rates than the rest of us. It's a perk for working there, just like nearly every other business has "employee pricing". It's commendable you guys don't do that per se, but I wouldn't worry too much about anyone caring about it.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #1631 (permalink)

Will we be getting a heads up on when the bulk-shipping feature will no longer be available? I know it's soon but will it be gone tomorrow on the 1st? I have a large shipment that is ready to ship but I also just sent in a large order that is being processed that depleted all my funds. I can't decide if I should go ahead and add funds and get the order shipped or wait another week and earn enough to ship them.
aric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #1632 (permalink)

I have been pleased with COMC over the past month, I have sent in 500 or so cards and bought twice as many on the site to "flip"....As for the fees I think they are fair and the do a lot of work listing, scanning, packaging, and shipping cards and the quarter it costs to list is very fair for what you get and not to have to hassle with shipping packaging and mailing card to ebay customers. The only thing I really do like is the 20% fee to cash out. I know that a businees has to make money and all but I really think that 20% is a little much...That being said I am going to COMC for 99% of my selling and forget feebay and all the problems with deadbeat bidders...
cowboyfaninlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #1633 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric88 View Post
Will we be getting a heads up on when the bulk-shipping feature will no longer be available? I know it's soon but will it be gone tomorrow on the 1st? I have a large shipment that is ready to ship but I also just sent in a large order that is being processed that depleted all my funds. I can't decide if I should go ahead and add funds and get the order shipped or wait another week and earn enough to ship them.
Hi, aric88. We'll definitely give people as much warning as we can before retiring Bulk shipping. A quick note: as Tim mentioned in his recent blog post , starting January 1st the only way to use the old CheckOutMyCards.com site is if you're logged in. Otherwise it'll redirect you to comc.com. As we ramp up functionality on the new site we'll retire elements of the old, and the old Bulk shipping rate will be phased out soon, but I know we'd sure get an earful if we just turned it off without giving folks fair warning.
The blog is the best place to go for that info, we're trying hard to keep everyone informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyfaninlr View Post
I have been pleased with COMC over the past month, I have sent in 500 or so cards and bought twice as many on the site to "flip"....As for the fees I think they are fair and the do a lot of work listing, scanning, packaging, and shipping cards and the quarter it costs to list is very fair for what you get and not to have to hassle with shipping packaging and mailing card to ebay customers. The only thing I really do like is the 20% fee to cash out. I know that a businees has to make money and all but I really think that 20% is a little much...That being said I am going to COMC for 99% of my selling and forget feebay and all the problems with deadbeat bidders...
Hi, cowboyfaninlr. I'm really happy you're enjoying the site! We definitely wanted to create something win-win. Remember: if you receive your store credit in the form of a Blowout Cards gift certificate the cashout rate goes as low as %13. Thanks!

Jeremy
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #1634 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric88 View Post
We will be sure to announce the cutoff for Bulk shipping soon. You should be able to place requests for Bulk for at least the next two weeks without issue.

Edit- Looks like Jeremy addressed this a bit before I did, but if anyone has further questions we're happy to address them! (either here or in pms/email)

Last edited by SJen; 12-31-2012 at 06:43 PM.
SJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #1635 (permalink)

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I dislike the new setup. Thought the old site was much easier on the eyes and presented nicer, perhaps I'm in the minority.

Not a fan at a lot of the changes, I know it's a money grab though, so it is what it is...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #1636 (permalink)

Is anyone else seeing that they are now listing percentage off of book value when you look up cards along with the BV below the pricing information? Interesting.

My auto accept sale is blowing the promotion out of the water for what it's worth.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #1637 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I dislike the new setup. Thought the old site was much easier on the eyes and presented nicer, perhaps I'm in the minority.

Not a fan at a lot of the changes, I know it's a money grab though, so it is what it is...
I can't stand the feel of the new site.
vintagegem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #1638 (permalink)

I cant stand it either. I cant browse on there for more than a few minutes.The old site I can be on there for hours
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #1639 (permalink)

I'm curious - what part of the new site is an issue for you guys? Fundamentally, there seems to be very little difference between the old and new - search functionality seems improved at the new site. The only real difference I saw was the book values are not listed - and as I posted earlier, it appears that this may have changed as I can now see BV when I look up cards.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #1640 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
I hope that I am wrong, but I am starting to get the feeling that they have outgrown their businessplan. They may have overextended themselves with the new facilities and new employees. There just doesn't seem to be any other reason for the constant fee hikes and new fees. It seems like every couple of weeks it is something new. So the way I see it, they are either going broke, or getting very greedy. I can't decide which one it is. It may just be greed since this was a sneaky fee. I do not recall any mention of it anywhere. So to recap, this could be the fees associated with a single card:

1.) Postage to get the card there.
2.) Fees to list the card.
3.) Fees to keep the card listed each month.
4.) Fee to put your card "on sale".
5.) Fee to sell your card when it is "on sale".
6.) Fee to cash out your cash after it sales.
7.) Or a fee to ship your card back if it doesn't sell.

I know they have to make money, but 5-6 different fees/costs? Surely even they can see that is a bit much. At least bring on the extra site functions that have been "coming soon!" for a long time. It just seems like the users who have made this site what it is are being played with like a yo-yo. Maybe I am just grumpy this morning. I love the site and just do not want to see it go under. There is just so much that the consumers will take before they move on. Once people start leaving you will never get them back, even if fees are pulled back. The damage will be done. Rant over.
This sums up my thoughts almost to a t. Don't get me wrong, I realize that scanning, posting, sorting, storing,shipping etc is a pita and it is why I rarely use Ebay and have sent 5000+ cards to COMC. The fee madness is driving me crazy though. I really hate the .25 added to the cards at time of sale as well. Makes everything more complicated. Also hate the new site. I can't put my finger on why but I do. Why would bulk shipping go away? I don't understand the logic other than it is a move to disencourage people from not shipping out purchases right away. I did that on my first shipment as I had bought a couple of hundred cards and waited to ship all at once. It just seems that the site is becoming more and more entangled and unfriendly. For it to grow and stay relevant it needs to be as streamlined, easy and transparent as possible.

Last edited by jmscoggin; 01-03-2013 at 01:59 PM.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #1641 (permalink)

For what it's worth...I don't think there is a better option out there right now. I've made a lot of money on the site in the last 3-4 months and have kept my inventory manageable. I wish it was free, but they are a business and they need to pay their employees (I believe they give their employees benefits and the wages seem decent - which I commend them for).

The one to seven breakdown listed is correct, but I still think head to head COMC beats the crap out of eBay/Paypal. Especially when you consider that if I did my listings on my own, it would mean maybe 20-25 cards listed per week and I would have to do eBay listings instead of playing with my kids or doing something else that I enjoy. I think it's worth an extra nickel or dime per card to get that time. On top of that, I get what I want for my cards instead of hoping someone bids on it.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #1642 (permalink)

Quote:
For what it's worth...I don't think there is a better option out there right now. I've made a lot of money on the site in the last 3-4 months and have kept my inventory manageable. I wish it was free, but they are a business and they need to pay their employees (I believe they give their employees benefits and the wages seem decent - which I commend them for).

The one to seven breakdown listed is correct, but I still think head to head COMC beats the crap out of eBay/Paypal. Especially when you consider that if I did my listings on my own, it would mean maybe 20-25 cards listed per week and I would have to do eBay listings instead of playing with my kids or doing something else that I enjoy. I think it's worth an extra nickel or dime per card to get that time. On top of that, I get what I want for my cards instead of hoping someone bids on it.
I did a quick breakdown the other day on my 2012 COMC vs Ebay thread

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/e...c-vs-ebay.html

I had almost a 1 to 1 addition to sale on COMC, while ebay I can't even tell you how many cards/lots/items I listed and relisted and relisted, etc...way too many to reallly try and figure out in a timely manner compared to the items actually sold. I currently have over 200 ebay auctions that carried over and some have been listed 15-20 times already on ebay. now a lot will be going to comc soon, and some are just destined to be only for ebay.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #1643 (permalink)

I haven't done a breakdown like that but I gave up on Ebay a couple of years ago. I still sell occasionally there, but most everything I do is on COMC. The new site was a little difficult to get used to (as is anything new) but so far I'm pleased with the results.
By far my 2 best months ever have been November and December 2012.
Also as a side note I'm selling a bunch of stuff on Amazon all of the sudden. Has anyone else noticed an increase in Amazon sales?
Bottom9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #1644 (permalink)

Quote:
For what it's worth...I don't think there is a better option out there right now.
I agree, and think that is why the fees keep getting tacked on. They know they have a great service that people want. They also know that no one else does what they do at this point. I am sure they realize this, but at a certain point, people start looking elsewhere. It has already happened with a lot of people. Both buyers and sellers have left. I do not think they have felt the impact yet. Between the new advertising, Black Friday promotion, and the seasonal spending, I think it has been masked. Those promotions are past, and the initial customer/seller bump from the new advertising is leveling off. I think over the next few months these things will start showing up in their numbers. Tim and company seem to be pretty smart people, so I am assuming they realize that too. Hopefully there are extra tricks being hid up their sleeves to counter-act what I just mentioned.

PS.....I would love to be wrong.

Last edited by premium1981; 01-03-2013 at 05:19 PM.
premium1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #1645 (permalink)

I think January/February are slow months for sales no matter where you are...so the next two months may not be good indicators. I had a strong start to the month after my best month of sales so far in December. Anything can happen over time - I think it's a pretty stable platform for selling cards - I also think Tim and the gang want the site and sellers to be successful so they will continue to find ways to drive customers to the site.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #1646 (permalink)

I find the new site more tiring on the eyes as there is too much white on the screens and the fonts are often smaller and not as bold. I think it might have to do with the logo as it probably shows up better on a white background.
cocoscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #1647 (permalink)

Default Think it is time for an update from COMC on the vintage card regrading

I know that COMC indicated they were going to be regrading cards and putting them into the various buckets. I am curious as to how much of this has been done and when they expect to be completed.

I sell strictly vintage and I know that I have reduced my purchases very significantly as I do not want to get stuck with cards that get reclassified into the lesser buckets. Curious if others are feeling the same way?
cocoscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #1648 (permalink)

Is there a special way to combine a port and put it up for sale?? I was looking to move everything at a substantial discount, but didn't know if there was a particular place you can go and submit your port for sale??

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #1649 (permalink)

It's one of the options under classified ads. Not surprisingly, there's a fee
dpwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #1650 (permalink)

I have a question, Can I send in a single shipment of cards with different processing services?

Say I had 50 cards. 5 of these I wanted to be processed in a week and the others in a month. Would I be able to send all the cards in a single shipment? If so, how? Thanks!
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote