Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #1676 (permalink)

It's been awhile since I visited COMC but wasn't there an option to make an offer on a card? All I see now is put card in cart.
bmlocal175 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #1677 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlocal175 View Post
It's been awhile since I visited COMC but wasn't there an option to make an offer on a card? All I see now is put card in cart.
Shows for me. Right under "Add to Cart"
theacox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #1678 (permalink)

Small suggestion regarding COMC scans

I realize its likely just an automated batch edit so, if at all possible,
please place the COMC watermark/overlay somewhere OTHER then directly over autographs.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #1679 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacox View Post
Shows for me. Right under "Add to Cart"
Hey guys,

This is Nathan Richards, Customer Relations from COMC. I saw that you had a question about not seeing the button to make offers on cards and wanted to clarify the issue.

The make offer button is still available for people who are logged into their COMC account. Offers can only be made with store credit, and store credit can only be used by people who were logged in, so we have disabled this button for guest users as to prevent confusion.

If you are viewing the site as a guest, you'll only see the Add to Cart button.
If you are logged in to your account instead, you'll see the Buy/Make Offer button as well as the Watch this item button.

Please let me know if I can be of more assistance.

MetDude,
I am going to add this to our feature suggestions and make sure it goes to the webteam.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #1680 (permalink)

How close are we getting to having non-cards (coins, comics, etc.) starting to get posted on the site? I'm considering sending some stuff in, but I would rather wait than have you guys sit on it for a while.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #1681 (permalink)

so I have a sale going on right now and somehow I manged to get an offer from a buyer. how is that possible? Is the person using checkoutmycards.com and not comc.com? I thought that offers could not be made when there is a sale and everyone was getting redirected to comc.com anyway.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #1682 (permalink)

I've both made and received offers during sales before, I don't remember ever reading you cannot?
dpwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #1683 (permalink)

did the conversion to blowout credit % go up?? or am I mistaken??

I thought it used to be about 14% if you converted your credit to a blowout gift certificate...like 285 for a 250 blowout credit...now it looks like its 290 for 250...did it go up, or am I misremembering??
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #1684 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post

I thought it used to be about 14% if you converted your credit to a blowout gift certificate...like 285 for a 250 blowout credit...now it looks like its 290 for 250...did it go up, or am I misremembering??
When I converted in October, it was $290 for $250.
theacox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #1685 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to yazevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacox View Post
When I converted in October, it was $290 for $250.
Yup, it's been 290=250 for as long as I can remember.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #1686 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post

$250 GC from $290 Balance is a 13.8% fee. This is the same rate they've had for about 3 years now.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #1687 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
so I have a sale going on right now and somehow I manged to get an offer from a buyer. how is that possible? Is the person using checkoutmycards.com and not comc.com? I thought that offers could not be made when there is a sale and everyone was getting redirected to comc.com anyway.
Hi, Cactuspies. Sale prices apply to a card when someone buys it outright, but someone can still make an offer on a card's full asking price while it is for sale.
SJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #1688 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJen View Post
Hi, Cactuspies. Sale prices apply to a card when someone buys it outright, but someone can still make an offer on a card's full asking price while it is for sale.
Thanks Jen. Makes sense now.

So it just leads to a funny story (funny to me maybe )

I have/had 2 cards of the same player, different serial #. Someone was making a 1/2 offer while I had my sale going on. I have the card listed @17, on sale for like $11 I think. User makes the 1/2 offer. I counter @10 which is still less than my sale. User comes back at $9.25. I actually was going to accept but it wouldn't let me for some reason. So I counter at $9.50. Later yesterday the card sold on Amazon at FULL asking price (less the 20%) The user must have had the same exact card in the shopping cart because I received a bunch of counters/offers/declines/cancellations. Now I have an offer on the other one for $9.75....Gotta love the way things can go right?
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #1689 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the info
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #1690 (permalink)

Great customer service story this week:

I had a couple batches of consingments go live, and so I'm listening to music and entering prices, pretty much on auto-pilot. I usually check the market for each card, and if the card is unique on COMC I'll just list at high book to start with.

So I come to a 2009 Bowman AFLAC Kevin Gausman, BV = $10. It's the only one on the site, so I list at $10 and move on. A little while later (like seconds) I think to myself, "That's strange; I don't remember submitting any unautographed AFLAC cards." I go back to the item, and it's gone -- all except for the photo which shows it was actually a 2012 Bowman Draft AFLAC auto (BV = $60), which had been mislabeled. Some turkey snatched the mislabeled card within seconds of it going live.

I e-mailed Nathan about it, noting that I didn't hold COMC responsible and I intended to suck it up, but I requested that the leech not be allowed to do any more business with me. I've made lots of bad decisions in listing prices before, and it's never really bothered me too much. Somebody gets a good deal and maybe they come back and buy something else from me later. But for some reason this really burned me. I don't want to think of COMC as a place where predators are so ready to jump on obvious mistakes for their own profit.

Anyway, Steve from COMC called me up and we talked about it a little bit. Totally unprompted, he offered to reimburse me the difference between my sale price and the current market value. He even asked me what the market value was, not questioning my estimate, and crediting me within seconds.

It's obviously pretty impressive that COMC would step up and take responsibility that way, especially without me even making that request (although I did accept it gratefully). But I was even more impressed by his whole attitude about the business. There are all kinds of people on the site, he told me, including plenty of Good Samaritans. He described buyers who buy up mistaken listings and then turn them back over to COMC just to protect the seller. Dealing with the bad eggs is just part of the cost of doing business, and it's clear he didn't let it bother him too much, instead choosing to focus on all the good business being done on the site.

Thinking about it, this attitude comprises some of the attributes that I admire most in a successful business: the ability to recognize the presence of bad actors but not letting it warp one's view of the customer in general; pricing mistakes into the cost of business; and trying to do the right thing without even being asked.

Too often I'm sucked into taking a dispute personally. I really despised the idiot who I imagine cackled gleefully as he snaked my mislisted card, brushing the Cheeto crumbs off his ill-fitting tee shirt. This is one of the reasons I prefer COMC to eBay: I can't be drawn into dramatic showdowns that cost me my dignity more than anything else. But it's nice to know that there *are* business people who can handle these things in a professional way.

Kudos, COMC, for keeping your eye on what's important, and for being such professionals.
pyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #1691 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyweed View Post
Good post. I've had a couple of items mislisted but I spotted them before they went live. Obviously it's inevitable that errors are going to be made when dealing with so many cards, many with subtle variations. As you say, kudos to COMC for manning up about it and not trying to deflect the blame even though you clearly compounded their error. I think the fact that we are unable to communicate on site with each other is a good thing, as you suggest, since it prevents us from arguing with each other!

Btw, were you able to block the 'rogue' buyer?
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #1692 (permalink)

How is a guy a predator for buying a $60 card listed for $10
Dragonman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #1693 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
Btw, were you able to block the 'rogue' buyer?
No. That seems to be a path COMC doesn't want to take. I'm not sure I'd run things the same way, but I trust they have a better idea of the big picture than I do.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #1694 (permalink)

I am not trying to get into an arguement...

Maybe the buyer did not know the actual cards worth? Just playing devil's advocate.

And no, I did not buy the card.

Quote:

I had a couple batches of consingments go live, and so I'm listening to music and entering prices, pretty much on auto-pilot. I usually check the market for each card, and if the card is unique on COMC I'll just list at high book to start with.

So I come to a 2009 Bowman AFLAC Kevin Gausman, BV = $10. It's the only one on the site, so I list at $10 and move on. A little while later (like seconds) I think to myself, "That's strange; I don't remember submitting any unautographed AFLAC cards." I go back to the item, and it's gone -- all except for the photo which shows it was actually a 2012 Bowman Draft AFLAC auto (BV = $60), which had been mislabeled. Some turkey snatched the mislabeled card within seconds of it going live.

I e-mailed Nathan about it, noting that I didn't hold COMC responsible and I intended to suck it up, but I requested that the leech not be allowed to do any more business with me. I've made lots of bad decisions in listing prices before, and it's never really bothered me too much. Somebody gets a good deal and maybe they come back and buy something else from me later. But for some reason this really burned me. I don't want to think of COMC as a place where predators are so ready to jump on obvious mistakes for their own profit.

Anyway, Steve from COMC called me up and we talked about it a little bit. Totally unprompted, he offered to reimburse me the difference between my sale price and the current market value. He even asked me what the market value was, not questioning my estimate, and crediting me within seconds.

It's obviously pretty impressive that COMC would step up and take responsibility that way, especially without me even making that request (although I did accept it gratefully). But I was even more impressed by his whole attitude about the business. There are all kinds of people on the site, he told me, including plenty of Good Samaritans. He described buyers who buy up mistaken listings and then turn them back over to COMC just to protect the seller. Dealing with the bad eggs is just part of the cost of doing business, and it's clear he didn't let it bother him too much, instead choosing to focus on all the good business being done on the site.

Thinking about it, this attitude comprises some of the attributes that I admire most in a successful business: the ability to recognize the presence of bad actors but not letting it warp one's view of the customer in general; pricing mistakes into the cost of business; and trying to do the right thing without even being asked.

Too often I'm sucked into taking a dispute personally. I really despised the idiot who I imagine cackled gleefully as he snaked my mislisted card, brushing the Cheeto crumbs off his ill-fitting tee shirt. This is one of the reasons I prefer COMC to eBay: I can't be drawn into dramatic showdowns that cost me my dignity more than anything else. But it's nice to know that there *are* business people who can handle these things in a professional way.

Kudos, COMC, for keeping your eye on what's important, and for being such professionals.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #1695 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
I am not trying to get into an arguement...

Maybe the buyer did not know the actual cards worth? Just playing devil's advocate.

And no, I did not buy the card.
Always possible, but it seems pretty unlikely to me. First, it was purchased within seconds of listing. Second, it was bought at full "book" with no attempt to haggle. Third, the picture clearly shows an autographed card at odds with the description.

To me, the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. We've already seen in this thread that some people see absolutely nothing wrong with exploiting listing errors.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #1696 (permalink)

Has anyone else noticed the site has been running slower where there are 2-3 minute periods where everything just grinds to a halt, then back up to speed? It's been doing this for me for the last day or so.

Quote:
Always possible, but it seems pretty unlikely to me. First, it was purchased within seconds of listing. Second, it was bought at full "book" with no attempt to haggle. Third, the picture clearly shows an autographed card at odds with the description.

To me, the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. We've already seen in this thread that some people see absolutely nothing wrong with exploiting listing errors.
I'm kind of confused why you are SO upset with the buyer in this case. COMC made a mistake AND you make a mistake when pricing out this card. The buyer saw a great price on a great card and purchased it. This happens all the time in both the retail and online marketplace. The seller eats their mistake and moves on. The same thing happens on the flip-side to buyers. One time, I purchased a nice UD Black Flag patch auto on COMC which I thought I got a pretty decent deal on, but I didn't notice the nasty gash in the side of the flag window from the scan (I now have 0 interest in keeping it). It was too late as I had already purchased the card. I informed COMC about the damage, to which they FINALLY gave it a condition note (which should have been there in the first place), making it impossible for me to try to get rid of the thing at even close to what I paid for it. In this case, as the buyer, I ate it.

Last edited by Chaddie84; 01-26-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Merged commented posts
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #1697 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post

I'm kind of confused why you are SO upset with the buyer in this case. COMC made a mistake AND you make a mistake when pricing out this card. The buyer saw a great price on a great card and purchased it. This happens all the time in both the retail and online marketplace. The seller eats their mistake and moves on. The same thing happens on the flip-side to buyers. One time, I purchased a nice UD Black Flag patch auto on COMC which I thought I got a pretty decent deal on, but I didn't notice the nasty gash in the side of the flag window from the scan (I now have 0 interest in keeping it). It was too late as I had already purchased the card. I informed COMC about the damage, to which they FINALLY gave it a condition note (which should have been there in the first place), making it impossible for me to try to get rid of the thing at even close to what I paid for it. In this case, as the buyer, I ate it.
I have had some of the same speed issues as you.

Yes, yes, I make pricing errors all the time, inadvertently giving great deals, and I just suck it up, like everyone does. The case I have described, however, involves a clear *mislabeling* of the item as a product worth one fifth as much. If Best Buy accidentally attaches a tag reading "Samsung 26 inch - $200" to a 50 inch $1000 television, a buyer who insists on getting that mislabeled 50 inch TV for $200 is laughed out of the store. If you go to Vegas and see that Caesars Palace has accidentally listed San Francisco at +3.5 instead of -3.5 and you rush to put $1000 on it, good luck cashing out -- you may even be 86'd. Obtaining good deals is obviously different than trying to capitalize on typos.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1698 (permalink)

What, in your opinion, is the buyer supposed to do?

There isn't a mechanism for alerting the seller to a potential listing / pricing error.

There isn't a mechanism for determining who you purchased a card from if you didn't make an offer.

If you did make an offer, there isn't a mechanism for finding a particular offer among all the thousands of offers you have ever made or received.

There isn't a mechanism for contacting a seller and asking if they want their card back.

There isn't a mechanism for allowing a particular seller to repurchase their card.

And how would the buyer know that the seller does want the card back? Lots of sellers would price a $60 BV card at $10 right off the bat. Or they might price it at $20 and advertise that they accept 50% offers. How are they to know that this was even an error?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #1699 (permalink)

the whole problem i can see is that the card was misidentified in the first place hence him getting the money back
but this is a two fold problem he didn't catch the error and the comc card processing identifier screwed the pooch missing the autograph
with that said i'm sure they have sooooo many submissions that it was an honest mistake now i have seen many errors in identification on the sight (being unemployed currently) i do many searches looking at many cards pictures the most errors i notice is with parallel cards or if there is a canvas (non canvas) or i've seen the 2009 ud signature usa star prospects autos misidentified they are hard to see sometimes but you can clearly see it and its not in the title

and the last little bit of questioning do you have someone in your organization that just goes to shows on the weekend to promote you sight or is it just a big time show only scenario
bbcardsrgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1700 (permalink)

Is it normal for COMC not to review/post new classifieds over the weekend? I thought they used to do this. I've had one hanging since Friday afternoon and I'll like to recoup some credit for a PC pickup. The last one before that (during the work week) took almost a full 24 hours. These used to have 2-3 hour turnarounds. I'm not complaining, I just am curious on what should be expected so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks!
-Chad