Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #1851 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacox View Post
Yes. This. You don't get it when you flip.

no problem my original plan wasn't to "flip" but I couldn't stop myself from buying cards while waiting for my first group of cards to process. Hopefully and sounds like the beckett issue will be fixed in the next couple days.
smit5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #1852 (permalink)

any update on the becket issue?
Old 10-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #1853 (permalink)

The Beckett issue should be fixed. Just visit the following page when you are signed in to refresh your Beckett subscriptions.
Book Prices - COMC
timgetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #1854 (permalink)

I read somewhere (can't seem to find the thread) there is some sort of first-time submission special? Also.. do I need to have the appropriate funds in my account to cover the submission BEFORE I sent it in? Much obliged -- Jay
clocsta2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #1855 (permalink)

is there any charge for putting more than 1 card in penny sleeves when submitting them. I like to use the penny sleeves to submit cards but im flying through the sleeves and even just being able to put 2 cards in a sleeve is a big difference.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #1856 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocsta2323 View Post
I read somewhere (can't seem to find the thread) there is some sort of first-time submission special? Also.. do I need to have the appropriate funds in my account to cover the submission BEFORE I sent it in? Much obliged -- Jay
Hi Jay! We are still offering a $20 discount for first time sellers. It's usually in the form of a coupon we give out at cards shows and such, but if you don't have one, you can just ask for the discount when you send your cards in.

And, yes...you should have the funds necessary to cover processing before you send your cards in. If your cards arrive and you don't have enough Store Credit, we'll put your transaction "on hold" until you deposit sufficient Store Credit. When we receive your cards, we'll give you an estimate of how much the processing will cost, so you'll know how much to deposit.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #1857 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smit5004 View Post
is there any charge for putting more than 1 card in penny sleeves when submitting them. I like to use the penny sleeves to submit cards but im flying through the sleeves and even just being able to put 2 cards in a sleeve is a big difference.
There's no extra charge for desleeving cards when they arrive like this; however there is a greater risk of damage occurring to the cards when you double them up like that. It's a risk we recommend our sellers don't take with their cards. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1858 (permalink)

Question COMC samjam3

I'm offering samjam3 $180 for a Tim Lincecum/Matt Cain Dual Auto on COMC. Currently, there has been one on eBay for 135, and it won't sell. It has been relisted several times. Even if I were to cash out on COMC, it would still only cost me 168.75 to get the 135 needed to buy the one on eBay. Yet samjam3 (asking $300) countered for 225, 200 about 5 times, now 195.

I REALLY like COMC, however this is one of the few things that bothers me on the site. I guess it really has nothing to do with COMC, just samjam3 and a few others. You see my point right? I have sold things for above cost and below cost, but all of my sales have been comparable to fair market value.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #1859 (permalink)

I don't see what the problem is....He gets 80% and comc gets 20%...Maybe he doesn't want to sell that card for $144....Every single offer I get I deduct 20% + fees in my mind and make my decision then.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #1860 (permalink)

Yes, I'm sure that is his or her logic. However, why would I or anyone else pay 195 when there is one on eBay for 135? I can side with the seller too, he obviously just isn't desperate to sell it. That's fine. There is no problem, I'll just buy the one on eBay. I'm just saying "this is one of the few things that bothers me about the site."
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #1861 (permalink)

I don't know Samsjams personally, but I've dealt with him many times over the years as a buyer and a seller, and he always seemed fair. For example, he is offering his modern cards for an average percentage off guide of 67%, which is higher than any other top-25 seller.

It may be frustrating that he won't budge on the price of this one card. Who knows why? Maybe he has $195 into it and would rather keep it than sell it for a loss. The fact that he's countered your offer 3 times for $195, rather than started rejecting the offers, might indicate that he is taking your offer very seriously, but that $195 is the lowest he is willing to go, for whatever reason.

At present, he has over 77,000 items listed on COMC. I'm sure if you went through every single item and cross-checked eBay, you would find many thousands where his price is lower than the lowest eBay price. If so, would you give him extra? "I see you're offering this for $5, but the cheapest I can find it on eBay is $20, so here's an extra $15".

As for eBay, I recently listed an item for $300 or best offer. I received a $50 offer from one person who wrote a paragraph explaining to me why $50 is the highest anyone would possibly pay and why I should sell it to them. A less friendly person offered me 99 cents and included a snotty note that he wanted to offer a penny, but eBay wouldn't let him. Then he wrote a long list of reasons why I was an idiot for even thinking I could get anything for the item at all.

So, it may suck that you can't communicate directly on COMC the way you can on eBay, but the ability to communicate on eBay doesn't always make it more friendly or hassle-free.

Additionally, it could be that, once in a while, it might be worth paying more for an item on COMC than you would pay on eBay. For example, on COMC, you're guaranteed that the item actually exists and has been quality inspected by a 3rd party. You know that you can return the item under certain circumstances. You know that Samsjams isn't going to take your money and high-tail it to Argentina, and even if he does, his 77,000 cards will remain at the COMC warehouse. You know that your card isn't going to show up unsleeved in a plain white envelope. Maybe that's not worth paying $30 extra, but it is worth something.

Last edited by checkoutmydeals; 10-22-2013 at 08:17 PM.
checkoutmydeals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #1862 (permalink)

I do like COMC alot. It's a great centralized place to get set needs and such. I just wish people would stop inflating prices to have sales because with one seller, it seems he turned his sale off and left the prices. I have no idea what 'book' value is but the guy has both of the last two cards I need for my set. Thing is, they are common refractors of veteran. The thought of paying $10.24 and $7.24 for them plus the $3 shipping makes me sad. I was fortunate enough to get most set needs at fairly reasonable prices but those two cards just make me sad seeing them.

rm84, if you read this, please bring a couple of your 2010 topps chrome football blue refractor prices down out of the rafters!

and boom goes the dynamite...
seahawks4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #1863 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks4ever View Post
I do like COMC alot. It's a great centralized place to get set needs and such. I just wish people would stop inflating prices to have sales because with one seller, it seems he turned his sale off and left the prices. I have no idea what 'book' value is but the guy has both of the last two cards I need for my set. Thing is, they are common refractors of veteran. The thought of paying $10.24 and $7.24 for them plus the $3 shipping makes me sad. I was fortunate enough to get most set needs at fairly reasonable prices but those two cards just make me sad seeing them.

rm84, if you read this, please bring a couple of your 2010 topps chrome football blue refractor prices down out of the rafters!

This is where I feel that it really hurts that everyone can't see the BV anymore. I have cards in which I'm the only one on the site with that card and it may 75% off BV selling at $5 but the buyer has no idea unless he has a beckett subscription. For all they know the card only books at $5.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #1864 (permalink)

Quote:
This is where I feel that it really hurts that everyone can't see the BV anymore. I have cards in which I'm the only one on the site with that card and it may 75% off BV selling at $5 but the buyer has no idea unless he has a beckett subscription. For all they know the card only books at $5.
My avg book value sold this month is the lowest in 2 years. So, I do think sales of higher book value cards have been hurt by the change, while lower book value cards may have been helped. I really do like the sales history feature, although I don't understand why they are wasting so much of everybody's time with this history points setup. I wouldn't be surprised if I have spent 20 hours of my life collecting history points, which is just ridiculous.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #1865 (permalink)

Suggestion: lower the Handling fee of $.25 per item

Definitely will increase sales by a LOT

85K Cards !!! Selling all my stuff in COMC, ANY OFFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Lots of High-end cards: Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc
coolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #1866 (permalink)

Another suggestion:

For the % of minimum offer & the Auto-accept , please make it 2 tiered option

Example:
-For cards above $100 (to be set by user), I want minimum 60% offer, no auto-accept
-For cards below $100 (to be set by user), I want minimum 80% offer, auto-accepted

Please make this happen!!!

85K Cards !!! Selling all my stuff in COMC, ANY OFFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Lots of High-end cards: Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc

Last edited by coolz; 11-12-2013 at 11:09 PM.
coolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #1867 (permalink)

Quote:
You might be correct there. For all I know they book higher. thing is, I know they are both 'coomon' veteran blue refractors. Hard to justify paying the same price for it as i would some of their autographs.

Also for me, I reference the next lowest refractor as a basis for figuring out if the card price is justified. In my example:

The card I want (#/199) is there for $10.24
The next lowest card (#/555) is $2.74
An insert refractor with a superstar (#/99) is $6.24
An insert refractor with a rookie (#/99) is $6

I don't mind paying for a card, but in an instance like this, unless the book value is abnormally high, the price just isn't justified. Sucky thing is, I can't really ask him/her about the card.

and boom goes the dynamite...
seahawks4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #1868 (permalink)

Question A possible workaround for Book Values?

Like many others on this forum that sell on COMC I have seen a marked decline in my sales in last few months. I do have a Beckett subscription for Baseball so I get to see the prices for Baseball but not for other sports.

In any event I thought I would play around a little bit to see if there was a way to tell potential sellers what Book Value is by the prices I set the cards at.

What I have come up with is as follows and thus far I have done this for my 1959 baseball cards for sale. 1. For cards with a list price of more than $10 the last two digits are the percentage off of Near Mint book Beckett Value; as an example a card listed at 20.50 you subtract the .50 get to $20 and this is 50% of Beckett Book Value of $40. 2. For cards at less than $10 I decided to just work in 10% increments so that I only need to use the last digit; so as an example a card with a Near Mint Book Value of $4 which I want to offer at 60% of book value shows up at $2.46. Also for graded cards I have used Beckett Near Mint Book Values for Raw Cards.

You have to be in simplified mode not advanced mode to see this most easily as if in advanced mode you have to add handling in.

Here is an example from 1959 listed at less than $10. Card is listed at $2.46 so subtract the $.06 and you get $2.40 which is 60% of book value.
cocoscards's 1959 Topps #504 - Ossie Alvarez RC (Rookie Card) - COMC

Here is another example from 1959 for a card listed at more than $10.00 Card is listed at $32.40 so take off the $.40 and you get $32 which is 40% of $80 book value.
cocoscards's 1959 Topps #212 - Fence Busters/Hank Aaron/Eddie Mathews - COMC

Who knows if there were enough sellers that wanted to do something like this maybe COMC could have an ICON that says the seller uses Beckett pricing and then have a pop up sheet that shows how you work back to Beckett from the price. Even cooler would be if they had a button that you could select the % of Beckett you want to list at and it sets the price for you.

Obviously can not work for really inexpensive cards but how bent out of shape does a potential buyer get if they wind up paying $.90 for a $.50 card?

In any event just a thought and would really like to hear if anyone else has other ideas on this.

Last edited by cocoscards; 10-24-2013 at 08:40 PM.
cocoscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #1869 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoscards View Post
In any event just a thought and would really like to hear if anyone else has other ideas on this.
It's a cool idea, but that's a pretty arcane process for something that isn't really going to help sales out, or make the site that much more informative. The lack of book prices hurt sales because of the convenience of them as an easy reference tool that was right there for everyone to see, no effort in accessing the numbers. Having those numbers encoded into some of the prices for some of the sellers isn't going to fill the void that this caused, much in the same way that the price history didn't fill that void. I mean, at the end of the day, the price history has been a reasonably worthwhile replacement for the book price function on the site, but we still saw the dip in sales because the price history feature is still rather imprecise and inconvenient, lacked the sheer informational simplicity and uniformity of the beckett prices.

This is gaming the site involving a paid feature and a contract they have with a third party, which is not traditionally a scenario e-business owners are too pleased to see happening. Probably not something you want to be broadcasting openly in a site-monitored topic like this, doubt Beckett wants to see this happening.
hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #1870 (permalink)

yea your idea is good in theory but it would be difficult to execute for everyone and like mentioned the best part about the BV was the simplicity of it being right there and being able to compare the prices. It is too bad comc and beckett couldn't come to some sort of deal, maybe just putting a percentage off instead of actually listing the BV of the card. So directly seeing that a card is worth say $60 BV you see that at the listed price of $30 it is 50% off. Or possibly work out some sort of deal that through COMC you can sign up for Beckett at a discount would be nice, because paying 300 bucks just to see the bv is pretty high when you are dealing with mainly lower level inserts/rookies that are around $8-10
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #1871 (permalink)

how late do the ppl at COMC stay open. I ask because I'm getting nervous about my submission which is due today and it is already after 4 here in the east coast (although I just remember they are on the west coast). I guess I got spoiled the last time when it processed early. Is it normal for the processing to go all the way down to the wire?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #1872 (permalink)

Quote:
how late do the ppl at COMC stay open. I ask because I'm getting nervous about my submission which is due today and it is already after 4 here in the east coast (although I just remember they are on the west coast). I guess I got spoiled the last time when it processed early. Is it normal for the processing to go all the way down to the wire?
It will get done today, trust me. I am on the east coast too and they get it done. They are also in the state of Washington which I believe is 3 hours behind us so it is only 1:25 PM there.
Jbjints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #1873 (permalink)

I have a batch of ~300 cards due to go live today as well. The completion percentage has been at 35% since last Monday. Am I worried?

No.

Count on the batch to be ready for pricing between 4-5 PDT. Sometimes it's a little later. Sometimes a little earlier. But that's been the most common completion time for my batches.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #1874 (permalink)

thanks, yea my batch is 300 as well and is at 35%, I'll just keep on checking and I'm sure it will show up at some point tonight
Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #1875 (permalink)

That % doesn't necessarily mean anything to you and me. If they haven't hit by tomorrow morning, then you can start questioning things. Most of the batches I have sent in have gone live right around this time.
theacox is online now   Reply With Quote