Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC sellers less willing to deal?

In the past few weeks, I've noticed a lot of COMC sellers unwilling to negotiate on their cards -- just flat out denials to my offers. In the past, I had a 90-95% rate of getting at least a reasonable counter, and once the counter offer was received, almost always did I make a deal. On rare occasion, I didn't.

Now, it seems as though it's the opposite. I rarely receive a counter, and when I do, it's a dollar off of the already inflated (ie 1.5-2x eBay) price. When I counter that, I either get rejected or I get the same offer.

My offers aren't lower than they used to be. Anyone else noticing a lack of willingness to deal on COMC? I don't sell there, so I don't know if they raised their rates... but something seems odd.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

A couple of things...

1) Rates were raised a little bit
2) A lot of people just had their submissions pop up because of the National special, so they may be more inclined to reject and let it sit for a month or so at their price, before lowering or taking offers
3) Not saying its you, but some sellers are getting tired of always getting 50% offers, so if someone offers 50%, they'll oonly knock a buck or 2, assuming you will raise as well...I've done this, but then the offer comes back as the same, then I just plain reject
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

The biggest problem with COMC is that they show the BV, so sellers seem to think they can get away with murder in their prices because of the "discount" and then you can't offer less that 50%

There have been a lot of cards I wanted but 50% of asking was still 2-4x above eBay prices
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

From the COMC seller perspective, I'm getting full-price buys consistently so unless I think the card is likely to sit around a while, I'm probably going to counter-offer a buyer.

This morning, I had an offer on a card that booked for $10. I listed it for $4. Buyer offered $2. I countered at $2.75. I think that's reasonable. It wasn't a scrub or anything.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
A couple of things...

1) Rates were raised a little bit
2) A lot of people just had their submissions pop up because of the National special, so they may be more inclined to reject and let it sit for a month or so at their price, before lowering or taking offers
3) Not saying its you, but some sellers are getting tired of always getting 50% offers, so if someone offers 50%, they'll oonly knock a buck or 2, assuming you will raise as well...I've done this, but then the offer comes back as the same, then I just plain reject
My rule of thumb is to offer 50% on MOST cards. There are a few cards that I see that have a good price, so I snatch them up without trying to shave a few bucks off of the price because I want to get them before someone else does. But, the system has a built in "check" of not letting you offer less than 50%. So, that's where I start. The price is inflated on the seller's end, the price is deflated on my end, and USUALLY negotiations bring it to a reasonable level. Like it or not, this is how most negotiations in the "real world" begin.

If buyers are tired of getting 50% offers, either raise their price or change the 50% ceiling to 60-70-80%. However, I think 50% opening offers are standard on this marketplace. I've seen plenty of sellers that don't take less than 90% of their price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
From the COMC seller perspective, I'm getting full-price buys consistently so unless I think the card is likely to sit around a while, I'm probably going to counter-offer a buyer.

This morning, I had an offer on a card that booked for $10. I listed it for $4. Buyer offered $2. I countered at $2.75. I think that's reasonable. It wasn't a scrub or anything.
And there's problem #1. "a card that booked for $10." Book value is irrelevant and meaningless. However, a $2.75 counter to a $2 offer is more than fair.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

It depends on the seller. If a seller is already the cheapest on the site then he's probably less inclined to accept 50% offers. I auto-reject any offers asking for more than 25% but I'm trying to give most of my cards away as it is! I might have a few cards overpriced based on BV but if yours is the only card on site you don't want to sell yourself short either.
VeedonFleece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

as soon as I ship my cards I have in COMC I am done with it. They are just charging way to much.

Col 1:16
Afton9444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

COMC has been a great experience for me so far. I have been on for 2 months now. I would rather sell on COMC then have stuff sit in boxes never to see the light of day because it is not very popular stuff that wont sell on ebay. I sold a Jim Leyritz card yesterday!
saraceno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Boo

If someone sends me an offer, I look at other sellers of the same card and ebay to see where it is priced. I 99.9% of the time go below the lowest seller and always go below ebay pricing.

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/klay22/
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I agree with the OP. I have purchased about 700 cards off of COMC and lately I have seen a lot of counter offers for about 1 or 2 dollars less than their original offer. I will always start with about 50% or in some cases the 15% that they have set. I check ebay and sportlots first to get an idea of what a card should be going for and try to get it for that or less. On many occasions the sellers are reluctant to give it up for that much. I actually think I am rejecting more offers than the sellers.
tmoore_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
And there's problem #1. "a card that booked for $10." Book value is irrelevant and meaningless. However, a $2.75 counter to a $2 offer is more than fair.
Guess what!!!! Book Value DOES matter on COMC. It is no longer meaningless as many sellers on there are looking for a certain % of BV. Whether or not YOU like it, that is the way it is looked at on COMC. I am almost the lowest seller on 90% of the cards that I have on there, so if you make me a crappy offer, it will probably just get rejected. I actually very easy to deal with, and also to get a cheap card off of. However, I am not letting a $50 BV card go to $3, just because that is what the only one on ebay sold for three months ago. Ebay does not make the rules for COMC and I like that.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

This makes me sad to hear. I loved buying singles to complete sets and such from COMC.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
It depends on the seller. If a seller is already the cheapest on the site then he's probably less inclined to accept 50% offers. I auto-reject any offers asking for more than 25% but I'm trying to give most of my cards away as it is! I might have a few cards overpriced based on BV but if yours is the only card on site you don't want to sell yourself short either.
As a seller, this is pretty much how I feel. I try to offer my stuff at the lowest price on the site and if I get 50% offers, my assumption is that the person is probably just trying to flip. I realize that's not always the case, but it's much, much easier to tell when someone is buying a PC card or completing a set because their offers are far more reasonable (10-20% off, or they'll just buy the card outright).

That said, if I have a card that's been rotting in inventory for months with no bites and suddenly, out of the blue, I get a 50% offer, I'll probably just accept it right away. I'm much more flexible with cards that have just been sitting there than cards I've just pushed live. If I list something new and get an offer right away, I like to think there's at least some demand for that card and I'll wait a couple days for either a better offer or for someone to just buy it.

With all the new inventory that's starting to go live from the promotion, I wouldn't be surprised if other sellers feel similarly.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

As many of the sellers pointed out, the rant goes both ways. When I set my prices at around the lowest on the site, it gets annoying to still get lowball offers. Based on experience, it's rare that those offers come from people interested in negotiating if I counter. I love that I was able to raise the 50% offer limit so that I could basically block all the lowballers.

However, I would agree that there are some sellers that have all their prices so high you have to try to get the card for 50%. Though I think they are the minority, and are easy to ignore.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't let a few bad experiences scare any of you, there are plenty of deals to be had, and plenty of sellers willing to negotiate.
I've started getting a lot of offers in the 55 - 60 % range, that is a way for the buyer to not insult the seller and let them know they are open for negotiation.
On the flip side to complaining about the sellers being unwilling to negotiate there are plenty of buyers that are also unwilling to budge from 50% off, no matter how cheap the card is. So some of the sellers might just be fed up with the flat 50% offers.
If it is within the price range of what you are willing to pay, try starting at 55 - 60 % of list you might have better luck.
darin2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

I make sure that my prices are lowest on the site about twice a month (Yes, I literally go through all my inventory and make sure) and I still get really low ball offers on a lot of my stuff. Had a bunch of the Gold minis /61 on there at book value, guy offer 50% on a bunch, i countered with only a dollar more for each one, and he just straight up declined all of them. Lot of people trying to get something for nothing, but then again that happens everywhere.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

its also the offseason

some people dont sell at deflated prices

Raimel Tapia was born to hit baseballs
gunshowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think the sellers have to expect the 50% offer so prices should be set accordingly. Price them a hair high so that you can easily accommodate the 50% if need be.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbroockerd View Post
I think the sellers have to expect the 50% offer so prices should be set accordingly. Price them a hair high so that you can easily accommodate the 50% if need be.
Eh...the prices are what they are. If it's too high for the buyer, then just go find the card elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Buyers don't want to pay anything. Sellers ask too much. Not news to me...
StlScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have been selling on COMC for almost two years now. When I receive an offer, I go check ebay, see what the card has been selling for, and either accept or counter to a price that is 10% below the average ebay sale price. I am going to lose 20% if I decide to cash out, so I can't give away cards on COMC, I have to get what I can get on eBay for them, otherwise I can just pull them off COMC and eBay them myself. Its more work yes, but its also easier for the buyer. The payment is instant, the card is instantly transfered to you, you have it shipped or keep it in your account.
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
I have been selling on COMC for almost two years now. When I receive an offer, I go check ebay, see what the card has been selling for, and either accept or counter to a price that is 10% below the average ebay sale price. I am going to lose 20% if I decide to cash out, so I can't give away cards on COMC, I have to get what I can get on eBay for them, otherwise I can just pull them off COMC and eBay them myself. Its more work yes, but its also easier for the buyer. The payment is instant, the card is instantly transfered to you, you have it shipped or keep it in your account.
I wish everyone on COMC followed this approach. I flip a lot on COMC but I also ship a ton of cards for my PC. If there is something I want for the PC, I check the going rate on eBay and offer that to the seller but get rejected more times than not.

As a seller, I expect the 50% off offers. If you look at the ads, most sellers market that they accept 50% off. If I was a new buyer to the site, I would offer that to all sellers. I never reject an offer. I either accept the offer or counter with something more reasonable.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

If I get a reasonable first offer, I always accept it or counter. If I get a lowball offer, I use the 3 strike system now. Essentially saying (you aren't even close, you might want to be a bit more realistic, etc.) Some people just low ball, and after awhile you know who they are. I really don't believe they care, they just send out these same offers over and over to sellers. With flat out rejections, I am talking rejecting on hot cards (half on Miguel Cabera rookies, when they consistently sell for double that on Ebay), or cards I sell a lot of at a certain price. I had sold at least 10 of the same Trout RC for $10-$15, so why would I even bother with the offer that comes in at $6? Waste of time. Or rejecting on a card (s), that I already have at 90-95% off....and I get half of that. Essentially I get offers for what amounts to 2% of book sometimes. If people ever get insulted as a buyer on a rejection..you think it isn't as insulting as a seller to get those?

I actually get surprised by some buyers as far as offers to me. Got offered half on a nice high-end card. I actually didn't reject it, but countered with in between where he was and I was, to start it going, essentially saying I can move and work with you some, but not selling it for half. They countered with $5 more. Ok, I came down $5 more. The next offer would have been in the middle and I would have taken it, and he rejects it. ?? $5 and he would have had the card, I might have even done maybe $2 or $3 less than that...but some people cut the process off.

So, it does go both ways. Hopefully the OP doesn't put it on the whole site, as there are a lot of sellers that are quite fair with their offers. Some people have to realize as well, a person may have more into a card as well, and they can't move on it much. Or there are some people on COMC just as hobbyists and really don't care what someone offers them, they have a price. If you think it is high, even at a half off offer, that is their right to just have card sit there. They can price it wherever they like. I can't do that as I have to keep sales going, but that is what makes COMC nice. You have all kinds of buyers and sellers on it.
papercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have plenty of 50% offers I'll take, I have 20% auto accept on, I also as of lately have seen a lot of cards go at full price. I do check ebay at times when I get in offers or when I am even pricing.
Heck I guess I just let go of a Julian Edelman RC Auto for $12 while they are going for $20 again on ebay, but it had been sitting there for 2 years now, and it was priced lower than I originally purchased it for on ebay back in 2009.
I have certain buyers and sellers that I don't like to deal with as they either have false ads as sellers or don't abide by their own postings here, and buyers who just don't get it and I think now they know I won't deal with them as I don't see offers anymore or they come much less often.
For all I know I'm on some blacklists as I have received some pretty lame counters on my offers on cards I try to buy.
I just move on and don't let any of it drag me down.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
My rule of thumb is to offer 50% on MOST cards. There are a few cards that I see that have a good price, so I snatch them up without trying to shave a few bucks off of the price because I want to get them before someone else does. But, the system has a built in "check" of not letting you offer less than 50%. So, that's where I start. The price is inflated on the seller's end, the price is deflated on my end, and USUALLY negotiations bring it to a reasonable level. Like it or not, this is how most negotiations in the "real world" begin.

If buyers are tired of getting 50% offers, either raise their price or change the 50% ceiling to 60-70-80%. However, I think 50% opening offers are standard on this marketplace. I've seen plenty of sellers that don't take less than 90% of their price.
See...thats part of the problem, you are assuming all sellers are the same, I personally don't like to screw around back and forth, so if someone is selling a card I want, if they listed it high, I'm not even going to bother, I list what I want for my cards...some are lower than ebay, some are higher, I don't list with the expectations to sell at 50%...otherwise, I should go on there and double all my prices
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote