Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ebay-comc-online-selling-shows-paypal-shipping/)
-   -   New site for COMC...What do you think?? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ebay-comc-online-selling-shows-paypal-shipping/376813-new-site-comc-what-do-you-think.html)

Dacubs 10-01-2012 09:31 AM

New site for COMC...What do you think??

Just started looking over the new site, my one complaint so far would be that you can't see what the bv of other peoples cards are...

Brad 10-01-2012 09:56 AM

We already knew about the Beckett changes:

[url]http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/3080772-post1425.html[/url]

The new site looks like the old site, just with a (poorly coded, IMO) more simply designed look that is the trendy thing these days in web design. I was hoping for some real improvements in both design and usability, perhaps even a ground-up re-write using more appropriate technologies this time around for the kind of site it is, but such things take time which is a rare commodity at COMC these days as we've seen.

Dacubs 10-01-2012 10:07 AM

I know, I still don't like it though...

aja3217 10-01-2012 10:15 AM

I'm hoping that these changes are made to the new site:

1. stay logged in much longer – currently I’m logged out every 5-10 minutes. It drives me nuts to have to reenter my user ID and password every 10 minutes. eBay even lets you stay logged in for 24 hours.

2. be able to send private messages to sellers

basezloaded 10-01-2012 10:48 AM

First reaction is 'I like it'.

Cleaner, less clutter - the Testimonials, Card Spotlight and Big Discount sections that used to take up 1/2 of the page and were pointless IMO appear to have been removed.

I think once the masses get over their initial "can't teach an old dog new tricks" and "I want a free Beckett subscription" hang-ups, people will relax a bit.

I agree with aja3217 regarding the login time, but not so sure I want the PMs unless I also have option to turn them off - likely just means more lowball offers or disparaging remarks.

That being said, I'd like to see an update that would allow for inventory segregation to permit sellers to offer port sales on only select populations of their inventory (ex. bulk player or team lots). Does anyone know if this is in the pipeline? If it's already an option, I'd love a tutorial.

Just my 2 cents (and it probably isn't even worth that :)) The real test will be how the buying public responds - I'll withhold judgement and see how October sales fare.

premium1981 10-01-2012 11:09 AM

Not as much change as I was expecting, but I have nothing bad to say about it. As long as customer service improves and they fix the sort function then I will be a happy camper.

IndySportsCards 10-01-2012 11:35 AM

Looks like they added a new style sheet, removed public book values and add shipping into your final price. Change is good. They do a good job of improving the site IMHO.

JohnAndrew 10-01-2012 12:13 PM

I dig it! That old color scheme looked so antiquated...this is so much sleeker. I also love the new logo.

Nice work, COMC!

Ajax1723 10-01-2012 12:33 PM

I think it's pretty good, looks nice and cleaner.

Only thing I don't like is that they changed my estimated due date for my batch from today to October 3rd :(

checkoutmydeals 10-01-2012 02:13 PM

Under the old system, there were approximately 15,000 different cards being offered at "90% off book value" or less.

Under the current system, there are just 222 different cards being offered at "90% off book value" or less. Nearly all of these are either beat-up vintage cards, where 90% off book value is fairly close to fair market value, or cards where the book value is out of line with reality.

As a result, the site looks less like a fire sale where cards are being dumped left and right, and more like a professional website with large clear scans and one of the best selections of trading cards ever offered from one source.

It is also much more difficult to casually scan the site and make lowball offers. It can still be done, but it will require some mental gymnastics which were previously not required. Whether that's good or bad depends on who you are and what you're trying to do. To a seller, it might mean fewer offers, but the offers that do come your way are more likely to be from people who actually want to own your card. To a flipper, it might mean more work but less competition from other flippers. To a collector / retail buyer, it might mean more overall satisfaction, particularly when you don't have to pay a huge chunk of money in handling fees. (Or more precisely, when the handling fees have already been paid when you take physical delivery).

XL5 10-01-2012 03:28 PM

Like the layout.

The whole BV change is annoying though. Some of my cards show BV in inventory, some don't. And they're not cards without book value, the BV shows up if I go to the old site. Maybe they're just not loading old book values?

Old:
[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-isu3Mbz7CDc/UGnf7lJIl6I/AAAAAAAALiI/k6KmoxTSvnc/s509/check.jpg[/IMG]

New:
[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vtfPSrcJ2zw/UGnf7l3MWYI/AAAAAAAALiE/fLDV4SsrAJg/s492/comc.jpg[/IMG]

mrwalken 10-01-2012 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=aja3217;3401511]
1. stay logged in much longer currently Im logged out every 5-10 minutes. It drives me nuts to have to reenter my user ID and password every 10 minutes. eBay even lets you stay logged in for 24 hours.
[/QUOTE]

Please, this.

Hard to see the future, but I think I really like this. Taking away the dependence on book value should stop some of the current absurdities like people buying junk ports for 94% off book and then trying to resell the junk port at 90% off book.

When does the old site go away?

mrwalken 10-01-2012 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=XL5;3402496]

The whole BV change is annoying though. Some of my cards show BV in inventory, some don't. And they're not cards without book value, the BV shows up if I go to the old site. Maybe they're just not loading old book values?
[/QUOTE]

You can only see book value for cards you originally sent in, but not for flipped cards. I don't see the point of this distinction. I think we should be able to see the book value of any cards we own.

XL5 10-01-2012 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=mrwalken;3402529]You can only see book value for cards you originally sent in, but not for flipped cards. I don't see the point of this distinction. I think we should be able to see the book value of any cards we own.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I got it. Thanks. Yeah, I don't see the point of it either.

rockstar-cards 10-01-2012 04:36 PM

Like the new site design as it's clean and very intuitive.

I'm just curious how customers who are purchasing for shipment are going to react to the 25 cents being built into the prices. One the front end any card under $1.00 appears anywhere from 25-100 percent more expensive than it used to be.

And as far as the standard s/h, it defaults to $3.00 as a minimum with the the term (slow) next to it as a time frame. Just wondering if there are clearly defined shipping times on the site as if I'm a customer and I'm now seeing 50 cents as the minimum per card and "slow" as the default shipping time, I'm thinking there are better markets out there to shop in.

Will be really curious how this shakes out.

pmannings#1fan 10-01-2012 04:41 PM

Well $10 all access to COMC or $9 for Beckett single sport, hmmmmm Beckett I reckon unless I'm buying!

arodyanksfan 10-01-2012 09:36 PM

I think the new ideas are only going to hurt comc. Tim didn't do enough research from their customers and sellers, and Im scared of the future. The built in shipping costs, the lose of beckett, the ugly design (I 10 year old can do better) and nothing really "new" added...I'm sorry but right now I'm not a fan and I think Tim really needs to explain to the sellers on how this is going to help us.

AUTaxMan 10-02-2012 01:55 AM

why do you have to pay a shipping price for flipping cards? why do you have to factor in shipping price for making offers based on card asking prices? new design is a downgrade IMO. I can live without the free pricing, as it is all but irrelevant these days.

washingtonmark 10-02-2012 03:48 AM

If you are more of a flipper you can choose to go to the Profile & Options page on the new site, and change your buyer mode to advanced reselling mode which lets you not pay the extra .25 per card since you don't want them shipped.

checkoutmydeals 10-02-2012 10:17 AM

[I]If you are more of a flipper you can choose to go to the Profile & Options page on the new site, and change your buyer mode to advanced reselling mode which lets you not pay the extra .25 per card since you don't want them shipped. [/I]

THANK YOU! I didn't know how to do that.

Dacubs 10-02-2012 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=washingtonmark;3406917]If you are more of a flipper you can choose to go to the Profile & Options page on the new site, and change your buyer mode to advanced reselling mode which lets you not pay the extra .25 per card since you don't want them shipped.[/QUOTE]

that is awesome...

XL5 10-02-2012 10:51 AM

It really doesn't matter. You'll just have to add the $0.25 to your sell price.