Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about getting a COMC account but want to make sure I understand correctly.

So, to sell on COMC it will cost me.

1.) 25 cents processing per card
2.) $3 shipping per card
3.) 1 cent per card for a each month of storage

Is that correct?

So essentially to sell a $1 GU card I'm out 25 cents plus 1 cent per month and then $3 shipping??

Does it make sense to sell base/inserts/parallels on COMC?

Plus, you are out the shipping cost to COMC?
Also, is there a certain method/manner in shipping to them?
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.

Last edited by btmcrushers; 10-09-2012 at 10:34 AM.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmcrushers View Post
So, to sell on COMC it will cost me.

1.) 25 cents processing per card
2.) $3 shipping per card
3.) 1 cent per card for a each month of storage

Is that correct?

So essentially to sell a $1 GU card I'm out 25 cents plus 1 cent per month and then $3 shipping??

Does it make sense to sell base/inserts/parallels on COMC?
yea i looked into it last week it doesnt make sense to spend $4-5 for a $1 card..
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Shipping is charged to the buyer.

First card is 3 dollars then .25 after
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
yea i looked into it last week it doesnt make sense to spend $4-5 for a $1 card..
But if you buy 20 $1 cards, it will just basically cost you $25, where if you were to do it on ebay, it would usually cost you $60 from 20 buyers or so. The price for one item sucks, but if you are to buy from many more items, it is a great price.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is not correct. The seller does not pay the $3.

Can someone with actual info please jump in and clear this up?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

As a seller it will cost you .25 per card listed . And 1 cent per month per card after the first month for storage . But storage is only on cards priced for more then .75 . Thats it . Excluding any cost to originally ship them your cards and a 20% cashout fee .
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

The one cent is not bad either, so you put a $10 insert on for say $3 . Cost you a quarter ... And if it dont sell for a whole year ... (1. Your price is too high because cards sell pretty good on the site) ... but it would only have costed you 12 more cents to have the card posted and maintained for the year . Great site . You don't lose the 20% if you buy "flip" cards instead of cash-out and thats what alot of people do to maximize profits . I ship to them in flat rate priority boxes because cards are so heavy .
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

On COMC, your account consists of cards and COMC credit.

Let's say you have a card in your account and you are asking $10 for it. Now let's say that I have $10 in my account and no cards.

If I buy your card, then $10 credit will transfer from my account to your account. Then the ownership of the card will transfer from your account to my account.

Now you have no cards and $10 in your account. And I have the card in my account and no cash.

At this point, I can choose either to take physical delivery of the card, or I can try to resell it on the site (presumably at a higher price).

If I take physical delivery, I will have to pay 25 cents processing fee per card (for standard sized cards not requiring special handling) plus $2.99 per shipment.

If I keep the card on the site to resell, and my asking price is over 75 cents, then I will have to pay 1 cent per month in rent on the 1st of the month. If I have a lot of cards, I can choose to pay $50 per month to upgrade my account, and then rent is charged if my asking price is higher than $2.50.

There is no fee to buy or sell the card. So you will have the full $10 in your account that I paid you. You can use this money to buy other cards on the site, and then you can either try to resell them on the site, or you can take physical delivery of those cards, in which case you will be paying the $2.99 per shipment plus 25 cents per card to have the cards delivered to you.

If you want to cash out your $10 credit, COMC will give you 20% less than the amount of credit being cashed out. So you would get $8 in cash in exchange for your $10 in credit. This will either come your way in the form of a check or a Paypal transfer. (If the transfer is less than $200, then they charge an extra $1).

You can also use the credit to submit cards to the site (25 cents per card for standard processing of standard-sized cards). You could submit 40 cards with your $10 credit.

You don't have to ever pay a submission fee. You only pay if you submit cards. You don't have to ever pay rent. You only pay if you have cards in your account with an asking price above 75 cents at Midnight Pacific Standard Time on the 1st of the month. You don't have to ever pay a cashout fee. You only pay if you actually cash out. You don't have to ever pay a postage or handling fee. You only pay if you actually have something shipped to you.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
On COMC, your account consists of cards and COMC credit.

Let's say you have a card in your account and you are asking $10 for it. Now let's say that I have $10 in my account and no cards.

If I buy your card, then $10 credit will transfer from my account to your account. Then the ownership of the card will transfer from your account to my account.

Now you have no cards and $10 in your account. And I have the card in my account and no cash.

At this point, I can choose either to take physical delivery of the card, or I can try to resell it on the site (presumably at a higher price).

If I take physical delivery, I will have to pay 25 cents processing fee per card (for standard sized cards not requiring special handling) plus $2.99 per shipment.

If I keep the card on the site to resell, and my asking price is over 75 cents, then I will have to pay 1 cent per month in rent on the 1st of the month. If I have a lot of cards, I can choose to pay $50 per month to upgrade my account, and then rent is charged if my asking price is higher than $2.50.

There is no fee to buy or sell the card. So you will have the full $10 in your account that I paid you. You can use this money to buy other cards on the site, and then you can either try to resell them on the site, or you can take physical delivery of those cards, in which case you will be paying the $2.99 per shipment plus 25 cents per card to have the cards delivered to you.

If you want to cash out your $10 credit, COMC will give you 20% less than the amount of credit being cashed out. So you would get $8 in cash in exchange for your $10 in credit. This will either come your way in the form of a check or a Paypal transfer. (If the transfer is less than $200, then they charge an extra $1).

You can also use the credit to submit cards to the site (25 cents per card for standard processing of standard-sized cards). You could submit 40 cards with your $10 credit.

You don't have to ever pay a submission fee. You only pay if you submit cards. You don't have to ever pay rent. You only pay if you have cards in your account with an asking price above 75 cents at Midnight Pacific Standard Time on the 1st of the month. You don't have to ever pay a cashout fee. You only pay if you actually cash out. You don't have to ever pay a postage or handling fee. You only pay if you actually have something shipped to you.

Thanks!

So basically if I want to send in cards to sell for cash or credit I will pay (1) the shipping cost to send my cards in (2) 25 cents for submission for each card and (3) 1 cent per card that is in my virtual possession at the first of the month that is for sale over .75
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrokepoet View Post
As a seller it will cost you .25 per card listed . And 1 cent per month per card after the first month for storage . But storage is only on cards priced for more then .75 . Thats it . Excluding any cost to originally ship them your cards and a 20% cashout fee .
20% cashout fee? WHAT? That doesn't make sense. If you have to pay .25 cents per card thats already 25%.... so if your looking to only sell base and you sell 100 thats .75 .... 75.00 x .20 to cashout? -15.00=60 bucks for selling 100 base cards at .75 cents a piece?
justinhiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pretty much. You won't pay rent on the cards you submit until they've been in your account for a certain amount of time, I think 60 or 90 days. If you buy a card to flip, you'll pay rent on the next cycle.

If you're just starting out, I would recommend submitting cards that have a book value of at least $3 or so, where the lowest COMC asking price is at least $1 or so, where you would be satisfied with 1/2 of that asking price. (On COMC, buyers can make offers up to 50% off the asking price, and many of them send 50% offers just as their way of saying 'hello'.

Also, you can contact COMC and get a coupon for $20 off your first submission. So you can basically send in 80 cards totally free if you want to cut your teeth.

There's a coupon in this article which you can also use:

Check Out My Cards Gaining Attention as Online Alternative | Sports Collectors Digest
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
Pretty much. You won't pay rent on the cards you submit until they've been in your account for a certain amount of time, I think 60 or 90 days. If you buy a card to flip, you'll pay rent on the next cycle.

If you're just starting out, I would recommend submitting cards that have a book value of at least $3 or so, where the lowest COMC asking price is at least $1 or so, where you would be satisfied with 1/2 of that asking price. (On COMC, buyers can make offers up to 50% off the asking price, and many of them send 50% offers just as their way of saying 'hello'.

Also, you can contact COMC and get a coupon for $20 off your first submission. So you can basically send in 80 cards totally free if you want to cut your teeth.

There's a coupon in this article which you can also use:

Check Out My Cards Gaining Attention as Online Alternative | Sports Collectors Digest

Thanks!

So essentially it makes no sense to sell base or cards that wouldn't sell for more than 25-50 cents a piece because you are already paying 25 cents just to have it posted?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

So essentially it makes no sense to sell base or cards that wouldn't sell for more than 25-50 cents a piece because you are already paying 25 cents just to have it posted?

I wouldn't recommend having any cards in your first batch where the lowest COMC price is below about $1. The first few batches I sent, the cards had a lowest COMC price of about $3, and a maximum value of about $20. As I became more comfortable with the site, I started sending in stuff that was less expensive and stuff that was more expensive.

COMC isn't for every card. It's probably the best venue in the world for $2, $3, $5 cards. But the cheap stuff, you're better off bundling together into bulk lots and selling them on another venue. The high-end stuff, you're also probably better off with an elaborate listing on another venue filled with keywords and lengthy descriptions.

Also, it depends on what you're trying to do. If you actively collect cards, it's easy to convert COMC credit into cards that you would enjoy for your collection. If you're trying to raise quick cash for a kidney transplant, then there might be easier and faster ways to do it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

20% cashout fee? WHAT? That doesn't make sense. If you have to pay .25 cents per card thats already 25%.... so if your looking to only sell base and you sell 100 thats .75 .... 75.00 x .20 to cashout? -15.00=60 bucks for selling 100 base cards at .75 cents a piece?

So don't send in those cards. If you know in advance that the most you're going to get out of a particular pile of cards is $15 net profit, then it might be better to bundle the cards together and sell them as a bulk lot for $20 or $30.

Alternately, if the cashout fee bothers you, don't cash out. Suppose you sell a pile of cards for $75 on COMC. Now, suppose you find some generous, kind-hearted seller who is willing to sell his cards for 75% off guide. So you use your $75 in credit to buy 30 cards which have a book value of $10 each. So, now you've effectively converted your pile of base cards into a pile of nicer stuff.

Just because you can submit a particular card to COMC, it doesn't mean you should. I've been on the site more than 2 1/2 years, and I've only submitted about 10% of the cards I have at home. And most of those, I waited until a listing sale, when the submission price was in the 10 to 15 cent range.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default comc

Great replies to this thread for a new member!

COMC has been alot of fun for me also over the last three years. I have moved over 10,000 cards that sat in my closet collecting dust.

With the sales, I was able to purchase some nice cards that I normally would not have gone out of my way 100 miles to a card show without knowing that card would be there.

With the 20% cashout fees, it encourages collectors to buy and sell from each other on the site. It creates a constant buzz as everyday I log in to see what I sold and to see what cards were recently listed.
jefflasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

My question is what is the best way to send cards to them? Pennysleeved and toploaded? Just pennysleeved in a box? Just loose in a box?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
My question is what is the best way to send cards to them? Pennysleeved and toploaded? Just pennysleeved in a box? Just loose in a box?
Penny sleeve in a box. They charge extra if the cards are toploaded.
pcbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuck View Post
Penny sleeve in a box. They charge extra if the cards are toploaded.
Ah, good to know. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

My personal preference is to fill three 550-count boxes with cards and stuff those into a flat-rate priority box. However, I usually send about 1500 cards at a time. For a smaller amount, I'd recommend packing the cards securely in a small card box, and then shipping that box inside of a larger box or a bubble envelope.

They charge extra to remove cards from toploaders, but they don't charge extra to remove them from penny sleeves. I'm not sure why they make the distinction, but there it is.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes ... Loose in the box I try to put one card per large box , no protection I also include a few small rocks and pebbles for stability and balance .. keeps em guessing when they shake it too
Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrokepoet View Post
Yes ... Loose in the box I try to put one card per large box , no protection I also include a few small rocks and pebbles for stability and balance .. keeps em guessing when they shake it too
Urgh. I am smarter than that bro.

What I was asking was loose in terms of no penny sleeve or toploader. Not just piled in a box so that they can shift all over.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Urgh. I am smarter than that bro.

What I was asking was loose in terms of no penny sleeve or toploader. Not just piled in a box so that they can shift all over.
My bad ... Weak attempt @ humor my friend .. Not questioning or judging your brainpower .

You dont need anything as far as protection goes . I assume most still use pennysleeves to protect their cards surface . But the site actually discourages toploaders and charges you to remove them .
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

all of my cards I have uploaded have been sent in penny sleves and 100 count boxes usually send in about 5 boxes totaling 420-480 cards.

Jacquizz Rodgers Collector!
washingtonmark is offline   Reply With Quote