Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bordentown NJ Show - Anyone Go?

I'm doing my first show in probably 3-4 years in December.

Haven't been to the Bordentown Armory Show since it was actually at the armory.

Anyone go there recently? Is it any good? Does anyone show up?

Thoughts on what to bring?

Anything?
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I used to do bordentown all time... here's the problem... a decent handful of people go every month... but its always the same 25-30 people that come to the show.

1) Some of them are dealers looking to buy large lots at very cheap prices to full up their show cases for their larger shows. I would group the ebay re-sellers and buy out kinda guys in this category also

2) Many many many people are only there to get dime cards for ttm/ip/pc... some of them will spend $10-$20... some will take up your entire table space, make you think they are going to spend a bunch of money and then ask for change when they buy 7 cards.

3)A few are ONLY there to bust wax

4) A few are ONLY there to socialize, dealer to dealer talk and BS....

5) That leaves you with the 3-5 paying customers who are looking for new singles (set builders), propectors (once and a while someone will pay retail on a chrome auto) and PC/Collectors.

6) Some people NEVER change their inventory (dealers) so the loyal customers get annoyed.

7) I only really do this show now twice a year. I did it back in April and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. I hadn't done the show in maybe 6 months and and brand new everything and only sold like $200 in stuff.... I'm talking easily $10,000 in ebay value worth of every sport, singles, high end, low end, game used box, even had cards in my showcase that weren't mine to make it look nice.

Last edited by EamonKid; 10-28-2012 at 02:41 AM.
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

So what shows in the area are worth going to(as a buyer?)I haven't been to one in ten years so pretty clueless. South Jersey/Philly area. I'm from just outside of AC. Thanks.
JoeD617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

ebay, blowoutcard forums... sometimes sports card forum... dont even need to leave your computer.... the shows all over basically suck. Once and a while the valley forge show is ok... the oaks show has seemed to disappear.... all of the sbs sports promotions shows suck
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Shows in general aren't any good for multiple reasons. The local mall shows do suck but I blame the buyers more than the dealers.

I used to set up at those shows back around 2008 or so. It was awful. There were 20 or so dealers so that wasn't bad, but the buyers were either the cheapest people on the planet or just douches. If I heard "I can get this on ebay for $xx" one more damn time, I might hurt someone. It cost me $150 and 33 hours of my time. I can't sell a $3 item for any less just to match ebay.

So as the collectors diminished, so did the dealers. The Moorestown Mall show was beyond terrible. But again, when there are no buyers, who wants to be a seller?

I'm curious and the Bordentown show is so cheap, I figured the worst I'm going to do is waste 5 hours of my time. I do have some cheap stuff so maybe I'll get lucky.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote