Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ebay-comc-online-selling-shows-paypal-shipping/)
-   -   possible ebay buyer remorse before paying? what would you do? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ebay-comc-online-selling-shows-paypal-shipping/398029-possible-ebay-buyer-remorse-before-paying-what-would-you-do.html)

edhou1 11-13-2012 03:54 PM

possible ebay buyer remorse before paying? what would you do?

Need some advice, thinking I may be getting into a problematic transaction in hand and I want to tread carefully with this.

Recently sold a high$ card (almost 4 digits) overseas BIN/BO to a buyer who has decent 100% feedback but has only been on ebay for about a year and whose normal purchases are <$100. Best offer accepted included full intl shipping on my part. Is one of those cards that is very hard to pin value on given its is from the #1 top set and is a low #numbered RC auto patch. On any given day it may be a $500 card or a $2000 card if the player becomes a superstar.

Ebay listing shows scan of front /back but I made it a point on most listings to not represent any type of specific condition. It may be nm or nm-mt (i.e probably something like a 8.5 or 9.0) card from any reasonable look at the scans. of course I know ebay can force a return with a 'not as described" case but I typically mark the listing as "no returns accepted" and "please ask any questions on condition prior to bidding".

2 days after listing end/invoice is sent, I get an ebay message from buyer saying (paraphrasing) "before I pay, I want to know what flaws are on this card. Scans look clean but if I determine that there any flaws I will be returning the card".

About the only time I get this type of email is normally if the buyer has already changed his mind about buying, or wants to delay payment. My first instinct is that the buyer has buyer's remorse. I don't know anything for certain about the buyer's intention obviously, but I know if I ship, I would be on the hook for my own shipping (probably $30+) plus possible intentional damage from the buyer and dinged DSRs.

Advice?
Thanks

dthimesch 11-13-2012 04:46 PM

You are probably right in your assessment. Just tell him the truth and if he determines he does not want it then just ask to cancel the transaction, block him and relist it to save the hassle of having to deal with it later. It really sucks but really what are you going to do.

VWBUS1978 11-13-2012 06:51 PM

the best thing to do with a high dollar card is grade it... no condition issues. but even then the buyer can force a return.

after the fact, i mean now. i would state over the messages to him each and every tiny little flaw, and elude to the fact that you would have no problem canceling the sale. but remain calm with the buyer and don't be too short. (act like the cute girl at the GAP register)

edhou1 11-13-2012 10:23 PM

thanks guys.

checkoutmydeals 11-13-2012 10:26 PM

Do you have a really good digital camera? If so, I'd be inclined to email him some very large pics showing the card at various angles to a strong light.

I don't think it's buyer's remorse exactly, but some people are very persnickety when it comes to cards, and some of those people live overseas.

A bigger problem in my mind is that this tends to be the sort of person who will gasp in horror when they have to pay customs fees. So, while giving a very detailed description and very large pics, I would also state firmly up front that the item will be declared as merchandise and that the buyer is responsible for any customs fees which may arise.

edhou1 11-13-2012 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=checkoutmydeals;3637826]Do you have a really good digital camera? If so, I'd be inclined to email him some very large pics showing the card at various angles to a strong light.

I don't think it's buyer's remorse exactly, but some people are very persnickety when it comes to cards, and some of those people live overseas.

A bigger problem in my mind is that this tends to be the sort of person who will gasp in horror when they have to pay customs fees. So, while giving a very detailed description and very large pics, I would also state firmly up front that the item will be declared as merchandise and that the buyer is responsible for any customs fees which may arise.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yeah, I am thinking it may not necessarily be "remorse" but rather someone who is buying purely to grade/resell and if it isn't gem mint/pristine, returns the card unethically as "not as described".
This is another convincing argument to doing face to face sales, no misunderstandings...

bigzig 11-14-2012 03:56 PM

You might want to post the buyers id as well. There is no reason for asking questions after the sale is made. Why in the world anyone would purchase a high dollar item and then ask questions is beyond me.