Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone send to COMC?

Hello,

I have about 400 seriel-numbered football cards between /50 and /2006 that I am looking to move.

I was considering sending them to COMC who I understand is a partner of Blowout. I just wanted to see what experiences people have had selling these low-end parallels there.

In total the cards are probably valued at around $2,600. I see some of the same cards there on sale at 40% off book value, while others are offered at 81 or 82% off BV. I'm sure I could find a whole range depending on the value of the card, the individual selling it and how many are still available.

Considering the fees on COMC (which I understand to be 25 cents per card to process it initially, then 1 cent a month storage plus a 20% cash out fee), do you think it is worthwhile to send a batch of cards there?

Thanks,

Pope.
Popejonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd say it's worth a shot. It'll take you forever and a day to list them all on FEEbay, and COMC does all the grunt work for you and only charges 20% when you cash out. The only way to find out if it works for you is to try it. I think you'll do 20-25% of book on most of those outside of stars/rookies. Is it worth your time? That's up to you to decide but the tradeoff is I can send 'em in, set the prices, sit back and wait. I totally love the site and use it all the time, but not sure how others use it or if it works for them. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out for ya.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Maybe it's only worth it to do it with the $10 and $11 cards. It probably might not be too economical to do it with the lower-valued cards unless I can get a little more for them or sell them closer to 70% off. I'll be sure to let the forum know how it works out if I do give it a go.

Definitely interested to hear what other people think.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can I give you a buyers perspective? I love COMC for some of the lower end, base card, insert type of shopping I need for trying to build a set or two. I can just go through my list of needs, hit the lowest price, and pay one shipping cost versus one shipping fee each at The Bay. I also do a lot of comparison shopping there. So if The Bay lists a card at X price, and COMC has it 75% of that, I'm going COMC! I've found a few really good mid-range, auto/jersey cards there, too. I got a hard to find jersey-auto for $35 when The Bay wanted over $100 (the one on The Bay was WAY overpriced, but the only one there...).

When the auction route gets me down, the first place I look is COMC, and I always buy more than one card because it makes it more worthwhile to do it that way.

Just my two cents worth, hope it helps. Good luck!

(If you have any R&S autos from the last 2 years, drop me a line before you send them in to COMC...)
briscogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would do it, you'll love it
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

I like them a lot. I havent posted here much, but have been selling on Ebay since 1999.

When you stack it all up, COMC is actually a better VALUE than Ebay, by far. Their communication is great, the pictures are great, and you can offer a lot more cards there than you could ever list on Ebay. I have also found them to very great to talk with on the phone, very helpful.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've sent in one batch, and have been pleased so far, they've made alot of changes lately. I've also not spent much time on there lately, just really busy. I really like you can send your stuff in, wait for them to process set the price and let it ride. It's really nice if your not in a hurry to sell, but then again if you list them all on ebay there is no promise they will sell either. The most work you do with comc is boxing them up, mailing and setting the prices.

The 20% cash out fee stinks. But when you consider your not doing any listing yourself. So while the ebay fee is less at about 13% for ebay and paypal combine, your paying roughly 7% for them to do all the work, so that isn't to bad.

Overall I'm hoping after the new year to start sending more in, in hopes of freeing up a closet. You could also just send in 100 or 200 and test it out. Good luck, and happy turkey day.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've sold about 30,000 cards on COMC. I like it a lot, but you have to be in the right mindset. It isn't for every card. It isn't for every person.

My recommendation would be to go through your cards and see what the lowest selling price is on COMC for that card. Figure that, at most, you will get that price for the card, and that many people will offer you 1/2 of that amount for it.

If you would be happy getting that price, and you would be at least grudgingly satisfied getting 1/2 that price, after accounting for 25 cent processing fee, then consider sending in the card. Otherwise, consider a different selling venue for that card (possibly as a bulk lot).

When I first started, I mostly sent in cards which had a lowest COMC price of at least $3 to $20. As I got more familiar with it, I started to send in cards which were cheaper and cards that were more expensive. I also started to do more "flipping" - that is, buying cards on the site and reselling them on the site.

There was an article in Sports Collector's Digest about COMC. If you go to this article, there is a coupon which you can print out for $20 off your first processing on COMC. This will enable you to list your first 80 cards for free. The coupon expires December 31, 2012.

Check Out My Cards Gaining Attention as Online Alternative | Sports Collectors Digest
Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post

My recommendation would be to go through your cards and see what the lowest selling price is on COMC for that card. Figure that, at most, you will get that price for the card, and that many people will offer you 1/2 of that amount for it.

If you would be happy getting that price, and you would be at least grudgingly satisfied getting 1/2 that price, after accounting for 25 cent processing fee, then consider sending in the card. Otherwise, consider a different selling venue for that card (possibly as a bulk lot).
That is the most important information you need going forward. Keep in mind that roughly 1 out of every 4 cards made is listed on the site.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great advice. Thanks everyone.