Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC flipping question

I made some great deals over the weekend. Mostly from some of the awesome sales by fellow BO members. Thanks guys.

I will be trying to flip some of them. However, I'm used to buying in advanced mode. The sale purchases were in basic mode, so now I'm confused on the pricing part...

Say I bought a card for $.50. Now that breaks down to $.25 for the card & $.25 for S&H. So how do I price it to make $.50 profit? I would think I would price it at $.75, and then it would list at $1.00. Then when it sells, I should get the full $1.00? Am I doing this right? Which mode should I be in when I set my prices?

Thanks
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

4/5 ? How to Flip on COMC.com | COMC Blog
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

They changed the rules for the sale, so the normal rules weren't in effect.

Basically, you paid 25 cents extra per card, and you can't get that money back.

Under ordinary circumstances, if you buy in Simplified Shipping Mode on COMC, you pay 25 cents extra for the card, but the card no longer has a handling fee. So, if you have the card shipped, you pay no handling fee. If you sell to someone else, the price you get is 25 cents higher than the price you would have gotten otherwise.

BUT>>> for the purpose of this one sale, they gave the 25 cents to the seller, and "free" shipping to the buyer, but the "free" shipping expired on Monday. If you had requested the card to be shipped before Monday at Midnight, then you would pay no handling fee on that shipment. BUT, if you ship it today, you'll have to pay 25 cents handling fee. If you flip the card now, you won't get that handling fee back.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do really like the sale feature, though it was pretty confusing how they rolled it out while having a sale themselves. In the future, hopefully, people can just have a sale without it being a big deal, and you'll be able to purchase sale cards either in "Simplified Shipping Mode" or "Advanced Reseller Mode" (or whatever they call it).

Alternately, I'd like to see a system where the 25 cents you pay in "Simplified Shipping Mode" can be applied either for the handling fee of ANY card (not just the one you bought) OR, it can be used for a processing fee on one card. OR, you could sell the credits back to COMC for a slight discount (say 20 cents each).
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
They changed the rules for the sale, so the normal rules weren't in effect.

Basically, you paid 25 cents extra per card, and you can't get that money back.

Under ordinary circumstances, if you buy in Simplified Shipping Mode on COMC, you pay 25 cents extra for the card, but the card no longer has a handling fee. So, if you have the card shipped, you pay no handling fee. If you sell to someone else, the price you get is 25 cents higher than the price you would have gotten otherwise.

BUT>>> for the purpose of this one sale, they gave the 25 cents to the seller, and "free" shipping to the buyer, but the "free" shipping expired on Monday. If you had requested the card to be shipped before Monday at Midnight, then you would pay no handling fee on that shipment. BUT, if you ship it today, you'll have to pay 25 cents handling fee. If you flip the card now, you won't get that handling fee back.
Do you know where they notified about the rules change? I wouldn't have made a handful of purchases if I knew this. This really sucks if true.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll try to find a link. In the meantime, what you can do is check the card on COMC.com. If you try to change the price you will see the base price plus either 25 cents or 0 handling. If it shows 0 handling, then that means you'll get the 25 cents back when you flip the card, or that you can ship the card for no handling fee. If it shows 25 cents, then you're out of luck.

I did get 0 handling fee on some cards that I purchased to flip very early on Saturday morning (like 4 or 5 in the morning). But, later on, the cards I was buying to flip started showing the 25 cent fee and I stopped buying to flip.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you go to the Facebook page, and look at the post from November 16, there is a comment from COMC in the comment section:

One note on flipping cards sold with a Black Friday Weekend promotion: since we are giving the seller $0.25 of free processing for each item sold with a promotion, items put back up for sale will not appear as if shipping was already paid. The Black Friday promotions will only be available from COMC's default Simplified Buying Mode because of all the kickbacks for buyers and sellers.

http://www.facebook.com/COMC?fref=ts
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Do you know where they notified about the rules change? I wouldn't have made a handful of purchases if I knew this. This really sucks if true.
I can assure you they are not taking the extra quarter you paid from you if you decided to flip the cards.

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
If you go to the Facebook page, and look at the post from November 16, there is a comment from COMC in the comment section:

One note on flipping cards sold with a Black Friday Weekend promotion: since we are giving the seller $0.25 of free processing for each item sold with a promotion, items put back up for sale will not appear as if shipping was already paid. The Black Friday promotions will only be available from COMC's default Simplified Buying Mode because of all the kickbacks for buyers and sellers.

http://www.facebook.com/COMC?fref=ts
If you go to price items bought and re-listed over the weekend the item will list for 25 cents less than you are asking... at least all of mine did.

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you go to price items bought and re-listed over the weekend the item will list for 25 cents less than you are asking... at least all of mine did.

You're right. I hadn't noticed that before.

But someone made a mistake somewhere. Look at this card on checkoutmycards:

1971 Topps #641 - New York Mets TC COMC REVIEWED Good to VG-EX - CheckOutMyCards.com

As is currently reads, I'm selling #9318058 for $1.88. Another seller has #8951138 for $1.89. My card is less expensive than their card.

Now, look at the same card on COMC.com in Simplified Shipping Mode:

1971 Topps #641 - New York Mets TC [Good to VG-EX] - COMC

Their card is $2.14 (25 cents above the Checkoutmycards price). My card is $2.38 (50 cents above the checkoutmycards price).

If I try to adjust the price on Checkoutmycards, the price in the window reads $2.13, but the price that is showing reads $1.88.

On the other hand, look at:

1996 Studio Bronze Press Proofs #63 - Raul Mondesi/2000 - CheckOutMyCards.com

I own 2 copies of the same card. One I owned previously, and the other I purchased on COMC.com using simplified shipping mode. I paid 25 cents more on COMC than the same card would have cost on Checkoutmycards, so I could figure out how this all works.

The price shows as $3.99 for each card on checkoutmycards. In simplified shipping mode on comc, it shows as $4.24 for each card:

1996 Studio Bronze Press Proofs #63 - Raul Mondesi/2000 - COMC

If I try to adjust the price on Checkoutmycards, it reads as $4.24 in the window, and $3.99 as the price listed with the other card. If I try to adjust the price on COMC.com, it reads as $4.24 plus $0 shipping and handling. The other card reads as $3.99 plus 25 cents shipping and handling.

So, I think COMC is accidentally double-charging the customer for postage on the flipped cards.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
[I]
So, I think COMC is accidentally double-charging the customer for postage on the flipped cards.
This is what I'm thinking too. When I enter $.75 for card in advanced mode, it shows a breakdown of $.50 for the card & $.50 for S&H. Don't know how much I would get once it sells.

I've sent the question to customer service. Will pass on any info I gain.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey, all. Jeremy from COMC - I think everyone here knows me. So when we were setting up the 'restocking credit' sale for BF weekend we were faced with an interesting problem: Someone could buy a card in simplified shipping mode so that the seller got their $0.25 credit, then they could re-sell it to the original seller for the same price and the reseller would also get a $0.25 credit. Rinse, repeat. It wouldn't be too hard for anyone unscrupulous to abuse the offer like that. Our choices were to either exempt all flippers from the special, which we didn't want to do, or adjust the way shipping fees were applied to cards flipped during the promo.
As you know we went with the shipping adjustment. The way it worked mechanically in our computers was like this: Anything bought druing the special by a buyer in simplified shipping mode has it's "is shipping paid for this card?" switch flipped - it's listed for $.25 more than the seller's asking price. However, an additional $0.25 is paid out (by COMC - the restocking credit). If the buyer decides to resell that card, though, the system checks to see if the card was bought through the special. If so, the computer tacks on a one-time additional $.25 in shipping to the list price of the card. This mathmatically prevents system abuse if the buyer of the resold card is in advanced reselling mode.

Someone elsewhere on the forums said it best: the stuff we do can definitely be a little overcomplicated, but if you break down the math it makes sense and we try hard not to pass any of that confusion on to the average site user.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi Jeremy! Thank you for your response.

As I see things now, on checkoutmycards.com, the card shows as $1.88 plus 25 cents shipping, but shows as $2.38 on COMC in "simplified shipping mode". In "advanced reseller mode", it shows as $1.88 plus 50 cents shipping. On checkoutmycards, the card shows as the cheaper card. On COMC, it shows as the more expensive.

When I go to adjust the price on COMC.com in simplified shipping mode, it shows $2.13 plus 25 cents shipping, under "you own this item", but it shows as $1.88 plus 50 cents shipping under "item details".

If I switch to "advanced reseller mode" I see the price as $2.13 plus 25 cents shipping, or $2.38. Yet, it also shows as cheaper than the other guy's card at $2.14.

Suppose the card sells at full asking price. How much do I get? $1.88? $2.13?

Suppose someone makes a 50% offer while in simplified shipping mode. What's the lowest they can offer? 94 cents plus 25 cents? $1.07 plus 25 cents? 94 cents plus 50 cents? And what amount would I get? 94 cents? $1.19 (94 cents plus 25 cents)? $1.07?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Jeremy! Thank you for your response.

As I see things now, on checkoutmycards.com, the card shows as $1.88 plus 25 cents shipping, but shows as $2.38 on COMC in "simplified shipping mode". In "advanced reseller mode", it shows as $1.88 plus 50 cents shipping. On checkoutmycards, the card shows as the cheaper card. On COMC, it shows as the more expensive.

When I go to adjust the price on COMC.com in simplified shipping mode, it shows $2.13 plus 25 cents shipping, under "you own this item", but it shows as $1.88 plus 50 cents shipping under "item details".

If I switch to "advanced reseller mode" I see the price as $2.13 plus 25 cents shipping, or $2.38. Yet, it also shows as cheaper than the other guy's card at $2.14.

Suppose the card sells at full asking price. How much do I get? $1.88? $2.13?

Suppose someone makes a 50% offer while in simplified shipping mode. What's the lowest they can offer? 94 cents plus 25 cents? $1.07 plus 25 cents? 94 cents plus 50 cents? And what amount would I get? 94 cents? $1.19 (94 cents plus 25 cents)? $1.07?

Thanks!
Hi, checkoutmydeals.
Whew, that's a lot of numbers! Sticking to your example item: a card you would like to make $1.88 on when it sells.
When you bought this item through the sale in Simplified Shipping mode you paid X + $0.25 where X was the profit the original seller wanted. X goes to the seller and the $0.25 covers the sellers Black Friday restocking credit. Then COMC chips in another $0.25 to pay for the card to be shipped.
Whe the card is transferred to your inventory the computer then does a check: was this card purchased through a sale? If yes, mark it as having had its shipping paid, but increase the cost of shipping by $0.25. This has the duel effect of still letting you ship it to yourself for a flat $3 but not letting the card be sold back to its original account for the same price (if not for this check, someone could have created a second account during Black Friday and easily generated a free profit of $0.25/card for themselves while retaining their inventory).

The important part is that as a seller you will always get your asking price. The site will appropriately adjust the list price of the card depending on the buyer's settings, but when you say "I want $1.88 for this card" that's what you'll get.
You're correct that there's a bug where the final price does not display the same between COMC and checkoutmycards for items bought during the promo that are now being flipped. The fix would cost us a few thousand dollars in development hours and checkoutmycards is being phased out soon, so we decided to leave it alone, but it does mean that if you find a card flipped from the sale on checkoutmycards you can buy it for a quarter less. The seller isn't affected by this bug, though - they get the same profit.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

is there a difference if you flip cards in simple or advanced mode? is the end result of how much you get the same?
romayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

I just like to buy cards. Not take calculus classes.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo View Post
is there a difference if you flip cards in simple or advanced mode? is the end result of how much you get the same?
Hi, romayo. There is no difference in profit regardless of which mode you're in when you flip or sell. The two modes only affect the way purchase price is displayed (in simplified shipping mode you see the delivered price, in advanced reselling mode you see the basic card price w/o shipping).

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi Jeremy,
I can appreciate the need for using a safeguard to prevent abuse to the selling promotion. However, my problem is that this caveat wasn't presented in the promotional material. Of the couple hundred cards I purchased over the weekend, most were shipped home. I bought only a couple dozen to try to flip on the site. These were purchased with the thought that I was actually paying $.25 less (once I resold the card), since I had no way of knowing anything different was going on. Fortunately it's only a small loss that I will have to eat.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

UPDATE: Someone made an offer, and I sold the card which I had been using as an example.

In "Your Latest Sales" on my dashboard, it says I paid 50 cents and sold the card for 99 cents.

In "My Sales", it says I paid 25 cents and sold the card for 74 cents.

The actual effect was, when I bought the card, 50 cents came out of my account. When I sold the card, 99 cents went into my account.

So, that's the way it seems to work. Any card you bought in "simplified shipping mode" on Black Friday Weekend, the price you think you paid is 25 cents more than the price you actually paid. If you sell the card now, you get the price you think you are getting, but that price is 25 cents higher than the price that COMC counts as the official selling price of the card.

So, bottom line to the original question of this thread:

Say I bought a card for $.50. Now that breaks down to $.25 for the card & $.25 for S&H. So how do I price it to make $.50 profit? I would think I would price it at $.75, and then it would list at $1.00. Then when it sells, I should get the full $1.00? Am I doing this right? Which mode should I be in when I set my prices?

You would price it at 75 cents plus 25 cents S&H on COMC.com.

You would price it at $1 on checkoutmycards.com
Old 12-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

What is the logic behind this? Before it was easy, list a price, get a price with no head scratching. If buyer flipped it there was no extra cost and if he wanted it delivered he paid shipping. I hate the way it is now and hate the new site. It's what I'm using now because I won't have a choice shortly but still hate it. I'm tired of going through thousands of items to list and having to factor in the .25 to be the lowest seller. Say the current lowest is $2.13 and I want to be $2.12. Simple math to subtract .25 from 2.13 but with my feeble brain those extra carry the one seconds add up over and over. Before I just hit $2.12 done and next. Can't say that I hate the changes enough.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
What is the logic behind this? Before it was easy, list a price, get a price with no head scratching. If buyer flipped it there was no extra cost and if he wanted it delivered he paid shipping. I hate the way it is now and hate the new site. It's what I'm using now because I won't have a choice shortly but still hate it. I'm tired of going through thousands of items to list and having to factor in the .25 to be the lowest seller. Say the current lowest is $2.13 and I want to be $2.12. Simple math to subtract .25 from 2.13 but with my feeble brain those extra carry the one seconds add up over and over. Before I just hit $2.12 done and next. Can't say that I hate the changes enough.
To help my feeble brain do the math quick, I drop to the nearest nickle or quarter. So if I wanted to beat a $2.13 price, I just drop it to $1.75 plus .25 shipping. My mind works a lot quicker when I just imagine quarters
jefflasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

I dont understand any of it either and i dont really care that much anymore.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
I just like to buy cards. Not take calculus classes.
haha, that made me laugh
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

COMC, I hope someone is paying attention. The new changes seem to be universely hated. I still don't even understand why the site/style/shipping changed in the first place but it is alienating your customers. I have 5,000+ cards listed so I am stuck but don't plan on sending in anything else until they make some big changes or preferably just put it back to how it was. I can't even put my finger on it but just the whole look of the new page puts me off. The other one was utilitarian and simple which is good.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote