Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC Sales History

Is there a reason why COMC does not provide past sales histories for their cards? Are there any plans to do so? The only reason I can think that they may not want to make that information public is that many cards sell for much less than book value and that could perhaps sway future sellers to not send in their cards...but that theory doesn't really hold much water.

That being said, are we allowed to share our own sales histories? Do the big sellers already do this with one another? This information would be very valuable to someone like myself as I look to expand my inventory to sports that I am not as familiar with such as hockey and non-sports.
aric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hope not.

I do not see why they would put past sales history up at all.

On COMC- cards are bought and flipped, bought thru amazon, bought in bulk deals, and bought in port sales. So the final sales numbers would be all over the place. I do not see how this is advantageous. Plus- then youll start hearing on these forums " last one sold for XX on comc" when trying to make private deals.

If anything, putting up past sales would hurt rather than help, sale prices.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjscout View Post
I hope not.

I do not see why they would put past sales history up at all.

On COMC- cards are bought and flipped, bought thru amazon, bought in bulk deals, and bought in port sales. So the final sales numbers would be all over the place. I do not see how this is advantageous. Plus- then youll start hearing on these forums " last one sold for XX on comc" when trying to make private deals.

If anything, putting up past sales would hurt rather than help, sale prices.
I disagree that it would hurt sales prices overall. Sure, for some very low priced, common items a buyer might see that particular card has sold recently for a price lower than being offered and decide to wait for a similar price...but I think all larger percentage would be the opposite effect. What if a buyer sees the card has sold for a higher price in the past...they are way more likely to scoop the card up at a "discount." I could see buyers going along buying up everything that has sold for more in the past trying for an easy flip. In fact, it would make flipping much easier if you could sort by this information.

For sellers, it would be a huge advantage in deciding what to send in. Here's an example, yesterday I stumbled upon a lot of 8 1974 Sugar Daddy's. I see on COMC, that there's only about 1 or 2 examples of each card listed and prices are mostly between $2-$5. I could buy this lot, and list them on COMC for much lower than the existing copies and still make a nice profit if they sell. But thats what I have no idea about, does anyone buy these cards anywhere near these prices?

Here's another example, I got a really good deal on a large lot of Sports Illustrated for Kids. Now I knew that some of these cards like the Tiger Woods and Jordans sell for decent amounts but I didn't know how collectable the others were. I decided to send a large group in on the National promotional because they are very thin cards and could actually fit more than 500 in a 500 count box. Let me tell you, these cards sell great. I sell average baseball players for $1 each all day. I've gotten $3-$4 for some of the hockey players. I've sold cyclists, golfers, skateboarders...very wide market on these. I would have never known these things sell if I had not sent them in myself because of the lack of any sales histories.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

they work with beckett and beckett doesn't want to see a 3 million down arrows in their price guide or know that they are no longer relivant in the hobby pricing industry

also what sjscout said, prices would be every where, expecially after something like the deals being had over the past weekend.

checkoutmycards.com still shows BV, but comc.com does not, though you can still kind of sort by highest % or some of the others and figure out book value.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=aric88;3728423]I disagree that it would hurt sales prices overall. Sure, for some very low priced, common items a buyer might see that particular card has sold recently for a price lower than being offered and decide to wait for a similar price...but I think all larger percentage would be the opposite effect. What if a buyer sees the card has sold for a higher price in the past...they are way more likely to scoop the card up at a "discount." I could see buyers going along buying up everything that has sold for more in the past trying for an easy flip. In fact, it would make flipping much easier if you could sort by this information.

For sellers, it would be a huge advantage in deciding what to send in. Here's an example, yesterday I stumbled upon a lot of 8 1974 Sugar Daddy's. I see on COMC, that there's only about 1 or 2 examples of each card listed and prices are mostly between $2-$5. I could buy this lot, and list them on COMC for much lower than the existing copies and still make a nice profit if they sell. But thats what I have no idea about, does anyone buy these cards anywhere near these prices?

QUOTE]

i strongly disagree with everything you said here.

Also, you just stated that you could buy a lot of cards and then list them on comc significantlky lower than the ones already on comc. By doing so, you have devalued the cards. The other seller must sit on them or lower his price to what you have devalued them too. Then, if they do sell, this new sales history shows buyers the cards sold at the cheaper rate. How would this ever help sellers? Should I as a seller think the rate of the card is what you just sold yours at because you devalued it? Perhaps you devalued it and it was purchased by a flipper? If so, then your price was obviously below market value as the flipper lists it for more. NOt picking at you, but what i am saying is, the sales history would not be advantageous.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjscout View Post
By doing so, you have devalued the cards. The other seller must sit on them or lower his price to what you have devalued them too. Then, if they do sell, this new sales history shows buyers the cards sold at the cheaper rate. How would this ever help sellers? Should I as a seller think the rate of the card is what you just sold yours at because you devalued it?
You are using three different terms interchangably...value, sales history, and rate. These are not the same things. Sales history can affect value over time but one sale does not set the precedent for value. If I offer a card for less I have not lowered the value of the card and furthermore if a card sales for x amount one day, it does not mean another customer will not happily pay x+y the very next. This is seen all the time on ebay.

A sales history would show a seller what cards actually sell and at what average price. Port sales and discounts could easily be filtered out. Does any one else have opinions on why this would be a good or bad idea?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

On COMC, it's legal to have two accounts and buy and sell cards between the accounts.

If I wanted to manipulate the price of a card, all I'd have to do is buy it from myself and sell it to myself a few times at 5 times book value. If I want to transfer cards from one account to another, I might sell myself the cards at a low price, to reduce the amount of money that has to be moved around.

There's plenty of bread crumbs on COMC that indicate the value of certain players and certain sets, if you know how to look.

For instance, you can do is see how many copies of cards from the same player or set are on the site, and what percentage off guide they are selling for.

If there are 200 copies of every card from a particular set available for 90% off book value, then it's probably overvalued in the guide.

If there's a set where only a handful of cards are available and every card only has 1 or 2 in stock, and almost none of them are available for 1/2 guide or less, then it's probably a strong set.

It's about the same with players, but sometimes a good player can be hampered with a Beckett value that's too high for a particular card. Like, there might be a Michael Jordan card that's common as dirt. But since it's Michael Jordan, it books for $6. But since it books for $6, everyone sent in their copy to COMC. But since everyone sent in their copy to COMC, there's 198 of them for sale, as low as 60 cents. So it's really a 60 cent card. Because if someone prices it below 60 cents, it sells. And if someone prices it above 60 cents, it hangs around gathering dust with the other 198 copies.

As for oddball stuff like the Sugar Daddys and SI For Kids cards, you just have to throw them up on the wall and see what sticks. If it sells, then that's what it was worth. And if it doesn't sell, you can lower your asking price until it does.