Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/17/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Protecting yourself against scammers who say they got something other than they paid?

When I sell something higher end on eBay, I always make sure I cover myself.. Insurance, signature confirmation, delivery confirmation. Something that has always been in the back of my mind, and something it looks like from reading other posts from time to time, how do I cover myself against someone opening a $400 card, filing a complaint to eBay that they received a worthless common card instead of the $400 card they paid for? Record a video of me putting the card in the package and sealing it up? Even then you could still lose, because eBay could always just say I sealed it up and then after I stopped the recording broke it open and did a switch-a-roo. I dunno, just something that scares me. Luckily I have dealt with pretty much exclusively honest people in the past except for a couple minor instances, but the thought of possibly selling a high end item and then getting scammed to where they keep it and I have to refund them just is always there. Is there any way to fully be protected against something like that, or do you just have to hope you deal with honest people?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
XL5

There's nothing you can do to be 100% totally protected and recording doesn't matter. Really it doesn't prove anything other than that you packed something up and took it to the post office.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, that sucks. So at any given time, some bozo can just pull a fast one. The only thing I can think of that might save you is if you have a completely clean history and this guy has had other instances where he's tried to pull something. As someone that is just getting started in collecting some more high end cards that I may sell at some point, that is definitely a huge concern for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can send USPS Registered Mail. It will cost an arm and a leg (about $15 for your $400 package), but it is extremely safe, can be insured up to $25,000, and it's literally a Federal case if the buyer tries to pull a fast one. (You might still want to videotape the package being sealed, and the registration stamps being applied to the package).

USPS - Frequently Asked Questions[c_usps04233]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded
checkoutmydeals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
You can send USPS Registered Mail. It will cost an arm and a leg (about $15 for your $400 package), but it is extremely safe, can be insured up to $25,000, and it's literally a Federal case if the buyer tries to pull a fast one. (You might still want to videotape the package being sealed, and the registration stamps being applied to the package).

USPS - Frequently Asked Questions[c_usps04233]&varset%28source%29=sourceType:embedded
Cool, thanks ill keep that in mind.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

As others said, you are never 100% protected and hopefully you have enough good transactions (and bank account liquidity) that you can afford to have a bad one when they come up.

One tip is to not do auctions and do one of two things
a) sell buy it now/best offer to a trusted buyer whose reputation is >10 years and has impeccable feedback. Not only check out their feedback, but what feedback they leave for others. Don't just go by DSRs and positive/negatives
b) conduct super $ trades in person if you can.

You may lose some business/$ limiting your customer base, but those are two strategies that have been proven to work!
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

First off, how great is that feeling when you ship something high end and ur waiting for buyer to get it and then u see the positive fb. Like WHEW! What a relief! lol. I usually just get insurance (over $200 of USPS insurance has to be signed for so you dont need to pay extra for signature confirmation).

Once I sold a card for $3,500 and I was kinda nervous. I video recorded at the post office placing in envelope with the tracking number and handed to clerk who scanned it in. Did it discreetly on my camera phone so I didnt look like a weirdo, but at least I had proof of card and the condition when it left my hands and entered custody of USPS.
joker8334 is offline   Reply With Quote