Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ebay Question...money order

Quick question, I have one of my auctions going and a user asked if I would accept a money order....they have 100% feed back, is there any danger in that? I apologize for the stupid question, I am new to ebay and have only accepted paypal on my other auctions. Any downfall in accepting a money order?

Thanks!
Gdogg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Not for you. M.O. is very legit anyway. If it was check I'd say no. But MO is very safe.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

ok, thank you very much, just wait to get the money order before sending off the cards correct?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdogg6 View Post
ok, thank you very much, just wait to get the money order before sending off the cards correct?
Of course, just like any deal, wait till payment than send.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Is the buyer in CA? Something "garage" in his user name? Did he mentioned beng retired by chance?
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug76 View Post
Is the buyer in CA? Something "garage" in his user name? Did he mentioned beng retired by chance?
Not sure where he is at, it just says USA...member since 2004 with 112 feedback and 100% rating. He just asked if I would take a money order.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd do the deal. Takes a little longer but you should get your money. Especially with 100% feedback.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Should be fine. I was leery the first money order I took, but checked the guys feedback and no issues, money order comes then ship the cards.
Castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Just tell him to send a USPS Money Order. Then you can cash it at the Post Office when you send his item.

It's 100% safe if you do it that way.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Cash the money order at the issuing location (i.e. Money Gram, Western Union, Wal Mart, USPS) or make certain your bank doesn't charge for trying to cash a bad check. Not worth paying a $25-30 fine/fee for attempting to cash it at your bank.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

It's actually against eBay rules to accept a money order.
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=270+=100%(All Positive)
PDawson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice everyone....oh man PDawson, is it really??? Maybe I should go back and tell him no. Wonder why it would be against their rules?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawson21 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone....oh man PDawson, is it really??? Maybe I should go back and tell him no. Wonder why it would be against their rules?
This is incorrect. You cannot advertise on your listings that you take anything but paypal, but you can take money orders, checks, cash, etc.

Just wait for the MO to clear your account or cash at one of the locations and then send out the card/s. As long as the guy knows it will be like a week to 2 before he gets his card/s from you, then I'd do it no problem.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Wonder why it would be against their rules?
There are a lot of scams both ways with money orders. If you are careful and cash the MO (rather than depositing it at your bank), you should be OK. Never accept a MO for anything other than your agreed-to price.

Here are the official accepted payment guidelines.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
This is incorrect. You cannot advertise on your listings that you take anything but paypal, but you can take money orders, checks, cash, etc.
See the policy. Money Orders are only allowed for certain categories of goods. Of course it's not problem because they don't check. Unless the guy files a complaint about something and then eBay finds out you accepted a MO.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
There are a lot of scams both ways with money orders. If you are careful and cash the MO (rather than depositing it at your bank), you should be OK. Never accept a MO for anything other than your agreed-to price.

Here are the official accepted payment guidelines.
Quote:
See the policy. Money Orders are only allowed for certain categories of goods. Of course it's not problem because they don't check. Unless the guy files a complaint about something and then eBay finds out you accepted a MO.
Very interesting. I has changed some, and still not very clear at the same time. Thanks for the info. I just have my listings set to block anyone that doesn't have paypal so I don't have to worry about other payment types. Too many issues in the past, no matter what I said in the previous post I made about taking a MO
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

This would be the issue. If there is. Problem. EBay would have difficulty resolving it in some cases.
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=270+=100%(All Positive)
PDawson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

it is not against ebay rules unless you advertise it in your listing. for the seller, money orders are great because there are no payment fees. however, the buyer is not covered if something goes wrong.
atobias1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Make sure the MO clears! I forgot what's the waiting delay it takes to clear, maybe 3 business days?
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobias1214 View Post
it is not against ebay rules unless you advertise it in your listing. for the seller, money orders are great because there are no payment fees. however, the buyer is not covered if something goes wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post

Just wait for the MO to clear your account or cash at one of the locations and then send out the card/s. As long as the guy knows it will be like a week to 2 before he gets his card/s from you, then I'd do it no problem.

These are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawson21 View Post
This is not.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Make sure the MO clears! I forgot what's the waiting delay it takes to clear, maybe 3 business days?
They don't need any time to clear. If its a postal mo you can cash it at any po as soon as you get it.
Aleister is offline   Reply With Quote