Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay debate

Most of us here sell on eBay, but can these endless problems ever be fixed? Or will they ever be fixed? With so many fakes relics/autos from sports and non sports being sold, it's like walking in a mine field. Not to mention that shilling seems to be a welcome and accepted practice despite the questionable morality of it. It's totally out of hand.

I'm curious how long this hobby will continue to put up with it especially considering eBay has continuously shown no compassion for sellers or cheated buyers. Yes Paypal does offer protection, but it's clearly not good enough.

Sorry for the rant but I was curious if anyone else is completely discouraged by feebay like me. COMC has been very good to me, and I believe this type of site is the future of the hobby. Not trying to bash eBay because for the most part it has also been very good to me, but I feel really bad for anyone just starting out because it's so dangerous for people who don't know what to look for.

Does a viable auction site other then EBay even exist or are they basically Microsoft at this point?...Completely infallible of legit competition. I'd love to hear opinions.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectorMan View Post
Most of us here sell on eBay, but can these endless problems ever be fixed? Or will they ever be fixed? With so many fakes relics/autos from sports and non sports being sold, it's like walking in a mine field. Not to mention that shilling seems to be a welcome and accepted practice despite the questionable morality of it. It's totally out of hand.

I'm curious how long this hobby will continue to put up with it especially considering eBay has continuously shown no compassion for sellers or cheated buyers. Yes Paypal does offer protection, but it's clearly not good enough.

Sorry for the rant but I was curious if anyone else is completely discouraged by feebay like me. COMC has been very good to me, and I believe this type of site is the future of the hobby. Not trying to bash eBay because for the most part it has also been very good to me, but I feel really bad for anyone just starting out because it's so dangerous for people who don't know what to look for.

Does a viable auction site other then EBay even exist or are they basically Microsoft at this point?...Completely infallible of legit competition. I'd love to hear opinions.
I agree with everything you said about Ebay. I have over 7K cards on COMC now as a result but have some concerns there as well. What would happen if they were to declare bankruptcy or close up shop? No way to recover funds or cards. I hate the cashout fees, the quarter up front plus the quarter per card on shipping seems already high enough. For now I am all in at COMC but I am pretty nervous still.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know what your saying. I sold my port the other day and am starting over on it. The fees are really tough on COMC, but you do bring up a good point about the bankrupt issue. They seem to be growing, but you never know.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Here's a new and trusted site you might have a look at?
Buy and Sell Sports Cards Online at Sports Card Direct
QuiteSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

heck maybe people will finally get fed up enough that they will stop using ebay at all and start going to shows again
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcardsrgreat View Post
heck maybe people will finally get fed up enough that they will stop using ebay at all and start going to shows again
I miss shows. I like that the internet gives the ability to find things I otherwise never would be able to such as short prints and such. Having said that, it has become so impersonal. I used to love setting up tables at shows and buying/selling.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote