Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My response to an ebay buyers wanting to return a card during the Super Bowl...

More reading pleasure in case you were still on the fence re: ebay...

backstory:
Ebay buyer with 150 or so feedback bought a Kaepernick rookie year card from me for a very healthy price after the SF-GB divisional playoff. Card was delivered on Jan 25. About halftime of the Super Bowl (about 10 days later), he sends me this:

I decided I want to return the item. Can I get the return address please.

Thanks

I respond thusly:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting me. I show this card as delivered to you on Jan 25, which allowed almost 1.5 weeks to come back with me any legitimate card issues. Although I can sympathize that there may be some buyers remorse buying this card given the SF 49ers loss in the Super Bowl, I believe it is very unethical to ask to return this card now as trading cards by their nature go up and down in value and return policy on cards does not usually cover buyers remorse. Please reconsider this return request. If you still believe strongly that you should be able to return this, I will review this matter with ebay/paypal customer service to ascertain possible return-policy abuse before proceeding. Thank you, Edward

this type of stuff really peeves me when it relates to sports cards. I've been on the precipice of getting off ebay once and for all, and this transaction might be the final straw.
I realize this is nothing new, so thanks for letting me vent...Ed
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Doesn't matter what his reason is unless you state specifically in your return policy (if you have one). While the guy may be an asshat, as a businessman your return policy is your word and reputation.

Would Target or Walmart question your Crabtree or any 49er jersey return-attempt the day after the Super Bowl?

As long as he's within his right via your return policy suck it up and take the card back.

Sometimes these returns are the cost of doing business. Any idea how many BIG televisions get returned to Best Buy the day after the Super Bowl?
WelfareTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

it really does not matter ebay is all about the buyer if he opens a case he gets his money back weather you report him for abuse its a sticky wicket its a pain and people know this on higher risk rookies and superbowl teams i know it sucks but thats the nature of ebay they want people to buy stuff and don't care about the seller at all
bbcardsrgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelfareTaco View Post
Doesn't matter what his reason is unless you state specifically in your return policy (if you have one). While the guy may be an asshat, as a businessman your return policy is your word and reputation.

Would Target or Walmart question your Crabtree or any 49er jersey return-attempt the day after the Super Bowl?

As long as he's within his right via your return policy suck it up and take the card back.

Sometimes these returns are the cost of doing business. Any idea how many BIG televisions get returned to Best Buy the day after the Super Bowl?
He has a 14 day return policy as long as the Buyer pays return shipping. I would expect he would have to honor that as it is stipulated on his auction. If he said he wanted to return it out of spite, as in the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry wanted to return a jacket, I wouldn't let him return it! lol
QuiteSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can't compare big box stores returns policies to a person selling cards on ebay. Yes he will probably have to take the card back if he doesn't want a negative. The buyer still needs to post a reason as to why they are returning the item. They can't just say they no longer want it because that is buyers remorse and is against ebay rules. We all know the buyer won't say that obviously, but we all know that is what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelfareTaco View Post

Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Update to the story:
After carefully considering the situation and trying to do the 'right thing', I ultimately told him I would honor the 14 day refund listed if he followed proper ebay policies in returning the item to my confirmed address.

He ended up sending the card back on Feb 6 from California via Priority Mail with DC. Didn't hear back from him until today when he asked why the refund wasn't made yet.

With the tracking # he emailed me, the package was last scanned on Feb 8 and the tracking info abruptly stopped from there from the Kearny NJ sorting center.

This was the night of the big blizzard, so I speculate that something might have happened to this package. I checked with my neighbors, etc and no package was delivered or signed for.

It doesn't appear that the package was insured/nor was signature confirmation purchased (the ebay value was >$250), so it look like someone will be out the $$$ at the end of the day. Situation kind of stinks all around but I am fortunate that I didn't get sent back a box of bricks or something...Ed
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhou1 View Post
Update to the story:
After carefully considering the situation and trying to do the 'right thing', I ultimately told him I would honor the 14 day refund listed if he followed proper ebay policies in returning the item to my confirmed address.

He ended up sending the card back on Feb 6 from California via Priority Mail with DC. Didn't hear back from him until today when he asked why the refund wasn't made yet.

With the tracking # he emailed me, the package was last scanned on Feb 8 and the tracking info abruptly stopped from there from the Kearny NJ sorting center.

This was the night of the big blizzard, so I speculate that something might have happened to this package. I checked with my neighbors, etc and no package was delivered or signed for.

It doesn't appear that the package was insured/nor was signature confirmation purchased (the ebay value was >$250), so it look like someone will be out the $$$ at the end of the day. Situation kind of stinks all around but I am fortunate that I didn't get sent back a box of bricks or something...Ed
it's called karma. you did the right thing by accepting the return.
bigal is offline   Reply With Quote