Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
superjames27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cow Town,Arizona
Posts: 2,583
Default

i hate when people price regular base at a 1 or 90 cents per card and when i offer them 50 cents for them they decline it , ive always had this problem with scottsautograph , i try to be fair with my offers as i only buy cheap cards , seeing how much it bothers a majority of you i might just not make offers ever again .
superjames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sj
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames27 View Post
i hate when people price regular base at a 1 or 90 cents per card and when i offer them 50 cents for them they decline it , ive always had this problem with scottsautograph , i try to be fair with my offers as i only buy cheap cards , seeing how much it bothers a majority of you i might just not make offers ever again .
Honestly, i dont think your the type of person we are talking about. I do take 50 percent offers, espectially if its a card type that your mentioning.

Generally its someone looking to flip cards. (and most of us sellers probably could say the same names)

FOr example- Wade boogs rookie. Marked at 2.97 and the lowest on the site. THe same people offer 50 percent (they actually offer 1.49 instead of 1.50). Even if I counter at 2.30, they reject and the next day they make the same offer.

I think this is the type people are complaining about. not legitimate offers like your mentioning.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Zerokruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric88 View Post
I equate it to this scenario:
You are at a baseball card shop and pick out fifteen cards that you were interested in out of a box. You go over to the dealer and offer them 80% of their asking price. Without just saying, "no I would like full price," they take the cards out of your hands and put them right back in the box you took them out of.

Seem look like a good business model?

Look he can run his business any way he likes just like I can avoid making any offers on his cards and warn others not to waste their time either.
That's funny though, because Jeff does work at a Baseball card shop - been there since 1993 and doing well.

If you look at his statistics, he has a HUGE turnover rate - so his product moves out of his account. He steeply discounts his items as is, to the point that his product sells without accepting offers - and he knows this.

If I remember right, the only reason he doesn't turn off the Offer - is due to some of the more expensive cards that he will negotiate on.
__________________
Currently looking for the following comic Books:
United Comics: 21,22,23,24,26
Tip Top: 173 & 184
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 02-12-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Calling Jseau's business model asinine is far too strong in my mind.
You're right. I admit asinine is a bad choice of word for that I do apologize. But I do think its a bad business model if your goal is to sell cards.

And not that it really matters but his cards are also available on amazon meaning he will receive the same 80% that I offered him if the same cards sell through there.

I guess my point was to let sellers know that they should consider countering their full price when they receive offers instead of just rejecting the offer.
aric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,567
Default

I am back and forth on some of these guys. jseau USUALLY has good prices, but will never come down on them. So if I see something I want, it is either a perfect price, or I am not getting it. Guys like Joelshitshow tick me off. You have a price and I make you an offer, then you raise the price to make a counter that is just a little lower than your original price while still showing you countered. That is a prick move.

If you wanna get cheap stuff, just visit me. Lol
__________________
Check Out My Cards ID = fungi2510

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa.
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric88 View Post
I equate it to this scenario:
You are at a baseball card shop and pick out fifteen cards that you were interested in out of a box. You go over to the dealer and offer them 80% of their asking price. Without just saying, "no I would like full price," they take the cards out of your hands and put them right back in the box you took them out of.

Seem look like a good business model?

Look he can run his business any way he likes just like I can avoid making any offers on his cards and warn others not to waste their time either.
Maybe the shop card owner is politely saying no thanks....The reject button doesn't say no thank you it says Reject
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Swipe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID
Posts: 3,803
Default

I've never purchased from him, so no idea if his prices are that great - just seems odd that he'd be okay sending offers at 50% off (which he has done multiple times), but won't accept 20% off on a multiple card purchase.

The funniest offers are the ones that are 50% off on a card that has a site population of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
That's funny though, because Jeff does work at a Baseball card shop - been there since 1993 and doing well.

If you look at his statistics, he has a HUGE turnover rate - so his product moves out of his account. He steeply discounts his items as is, to the point that his product sells without accepting offers - and he knows this.

If I remember right, the only reason he doesn't turn off the Offer - is due to some of the more expensive cards that he will negotiate on.
__________________

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
My New Blog - http://comcadventures.blogspot.com/
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
jmscoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX by way of CA
Posts: 9,344
Default

It is funny that Scott's name came up. That was one of the main ones on my list too. I routinely get lowball offers from them on my items. Very low insulting offers. I have tried to buy from them before and they do not negotiate at all. That is their right no doubt and obviously they are flipping but it gets maddening. I saw yesterday that Scott's is on here too. I can't remember the member name. I just know when I get an offer from them to open it up and hit reject. I also quit looking at their items. It isn't a personal thing at all, just an observation.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
jmscoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX by way of CA
Posts: 9,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
I've never purchased from him, so no idea if his prices are that great - just seems odd that he'd be okay sending offers at 50% off (which he has done multiple times), but won't accept 20% off on a multiple card purchase.

The funniest offers are the ones that are 50% off on a card that has a site population of one.
Are you talking from BV? Some people put way over BV on their card just because it is the only on site. I won't overpay for most cards just because it is the only one unless it is rare or hot. I usually use 50% of book as a baseline for buying or selling depending on rarity or hype. I have a few near full book and a lot at 90% off but I find most move around the 50% mark.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Swipe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID
Posts: 3,803
Default

No - I'm talking about listed prices.

Usually when I am the only card I will list at 40-50% of BV or lower depending on the card. On the rare cards that I do list higher than 50% it's usually a situation where the card sells for more than 50% of BV. I think my prices are pretty fair to begin with - but I'm always willing to negotiate a little.

I had two cards that were offered on today for example where I am already the lowest on there (one by a few dollars). Both were at my minimum offer, so I countered with what I would reasonably accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Are you talking from BV? Some people put way over BV on their card just because it is the only on site. I won't overpay for most cards just because it is the only one unless it is rare or hot. I usually use 50% of book as a baseline for buying or selling depending on rarity or hype. I have a few near full book and a lot at 90% off but I find most move around the 50% mark.
__________________

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
My New Blog - http://comcadventures.blogspot.com/
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 163
Default offers

Trying to find bargains is part of the fun for alot of people. I will make a bunch of 50 percent offers. If it's a card going into my personal collection, I'll accept most counters. If it's a card I'm picking up for a friend, I'll accept all oounters. If it's a card I may want to flip, I may not accept any counter.
Point being, this is a hobby for 95 percent of the people on here and we all have different ways to enjoy the hobby.

I like to receive a lot of offers whether they are low balled or not. It gives me a reason to log on everyday and usually buy other cards. So keep those offers coming!
jefflasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames27 View Post
seeing how much it bothers a majority of you i might just not make offers ever again .
It'd be sad to see the venting of a few make people second-guess how much sellers appreciate the offer system. The priority of a lot of sellers is just to move stuff, not necessarily to hold onto their cards until an ideal offer comes along. Some sellers are pretty hard in their negotiations, but it's unwise to assume all are like that. Quite a few guys are pretty eager to make a deal. Heck, I accept pretty much every offer I get, unless it's well beneath those magic thresholds where flippers would be guaranteed pick it off within the hour. Even then, I rarely ever reject an offer; gives a bad impression doing that.
hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
phillyfan42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 541
Default

Interesting topic that I have thought about as well. I am mainly a collector but will occasionally buy some cards on COMC to flip to fund PC purchases.

I think its clear that the seller should have the right to do whatever they want with their cards. However, i think some of what the OP might be saying is that some of the things some sellers do seem to be counterproductive to making sales. Obviously they might be firm on their price which is their right but for instance a lot of the big sellers (rookies n jerseys, jseau, tscst, etc.) negotiate very little on their cards. Totally their right but a lot of buyers like to feel like getting a deal and their prices are just constant so you can always get them at that price. Frankly, i prefer to buy from small collector/flippers like myself and find I usually get better deals with them than the big sellers. Is that something you guys find as well?

Regarding the 50% offers i definately make them and a lot of times they are accepted. Definately also buy a bunch at full price as well. Like Jefflasvegas said depending on the counter i sometimes accept, counter or decline it. It just depends. As a buyer what is frustrating is when you get the counter offer where the seller reduces the price like 2 cents. I mean just reject my offer if you dont like it as i wont be offended. However it is a nice notice that its probably not worth offering with that person again so to the OP's point i think the seller mght lose business from annoying the buyer rather than just fairly rejecting the offer (i.e. the price is fair, the card has potential to grow,etc). Also, once i get rejected on my first offer/counteroffer i will either increase my next offer or move on.

As an occasional seller i just cant stand the people that regularly offer 50% offers on the same card, knowing that they are going to flip and that when i reject them or offer a fair counter they continue to offer the same 50% offer. Obviously some clear examples are divahalley and micdm1971. I wish COMC would just let us be able to block certain buyers/sellers so we dont have to deal with them.

Personally as a seller i dont have a problem with the 50% offers except for the above situations. I lot of cards i have zero interest in keeping and just want to get rid of. Some, like prospects i am waiting to see if they will increase. But i think it is good to keep your offers open.

Just my thoughts.
__________________
____________________________________________
Collecting Auto/GU of Phillies, Eagles, Sixers, Terrapins
phillyfan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
jmscoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX by way of CA
Posts: 9,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundley View Post
It'd be sad to see the venting of a few make people second-guess how much sellers appreciate the offer system. The priority of a lot of sellers is just to move stuff, not necessarily to hold onto their cards until an ideal offer comes along. Some sellers are pretty hard in their negotiations, but it's unwise to assume all are like that. Quite a few guys are pretty eager to make a deal. Heck, I accept pretty much every offer I get, unless it's well beneath those magic thresholds where flippers would be guaranteed pick it off within the hour. Even then, I rarely ever reject an offer; gives a bad impression doing that.
I agree with you as well as with Jeff. I log on multiple times a day just to see the offers and accept any reasonable ones. Where I think you are missing the point is on the REASONABLE part. If I am already at the lowest price on an item and say 90% off of book, why on earth would an additional 50% off be reasonable? If I have say a card that BV is $15 and I have it listed at the lowest for $1.50, why would an offer of $1 be reasonable? When I rejected that last offer I got a counter of $1.25. Crap, just dig under the couch and pony up another quarter. I know BV counts for almost nothing but I won't just give things away either. These are offers that I received just yesterday. I still like getting any and all offers but some of these people just kill me.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,890
Default

Sold Book Value

jseau $1,125,484.08

No offense to anyone on here, but the guy has sold over $1million in BV on the site. I doubt he cares about any of our opinions on his business model since none of us have done it.

That being said, he and JoelsHitShow are two sellers that I generally remove from my cart when I go on a buying spree each month. JSeau because you can't negotiate with him and JoelsHitShow because he will change his prices and counteroffer with a number higher than his original price, but if you don't look at your previous offer, you may not notice. I am generally buying a few hundred cards at a time and it's hard to remember every offer that goes out. I'd just rather not support him with my money (JoelsHitShow, not JSeau)
__________________
If you have to explain why it's a 1/1, then it's NOT a 1/1.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.

Last edited by ddearing; 02-20-2013 at 12:42 PM.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Gmrson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 2,584
Default

I went to make an offer on 12+ cards from the same seller and I got the "minimum offer" message that was a few dollars more than the cards totaled! I was hoping to work out a multiple purchase deal but not from this one.
__________________
Collecting: 53 Glendale Tigers set, 66 Topps Baseball set, Tribute to the Throne Relics #/99, Detroit Tigers, Topps on-card autos.
Gmrson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Swipe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID
Posts: 3,803
Default

Was the guy running a promotion? I'm not sure how it would be possible to have a minimum over the cost of the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
I went to make an offer on 12+ cards from the same seller and I got the "minimum offer" message that was a few dollars more than the cards totaled! I was hoping to work out a multiple purchase deal but not from this one.
__________________

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
My New Blog - http://comcadventures.blogspot.com/
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Gmrson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 2,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
Was the guy running a promotion? I'm not sure how it would be possible to have a minimum over the cost of the cards.
went and check..that is it. 20% off the one I checked.
__________________
Collecting: 53 Glendale Tigers set, 66 Topps Baseball set, Tribute to the Throne Relics #/99, Detroit Tigers, Topps on-card autos.
Gmrson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
go_steelers07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: No. VA
Posts: 9,218
Default

i'm accepting 50% offers..................
__________________
A wise man once said, **All Food Turns Into P00P**
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa.
Posts: 305
Default

I wont do business with joelshitshow either for alot of the reasons stated above as well as its apparent he doesn't care about anybody or thing but himself if you read the blogs most posts are whats best for him...He also could care less about the future of comc as can be seen by some of his unnecessary undercutting....Seems like a shady dude
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
I agree with you as well as with Jeff. I log on multiple times a day just to see the offers and accept any reasonable ones. Where I think you are missing the point is on the REASONABLE part. If I am already at the lowest price on an item and say 90% off of book, why on earth would an additional 50% off be reasonable? If I have say a card that BV is $15 and I have it listed at the lowest for $1.50, why would an offer of $1 be reasonable? When I rejected that last offer I got a counter of $1.25. Crap, just dig under the couch and pony up another quarter. I know BV counts for almost nothing but I won't just give things away either. These are offers that I received just yesterday. I still like getting any and all offers but some of these people just kill me.
I get the point, but it's just not something that particularly bothers me. The logic of digging through the couch kinda works both ways, where sometimes I'll just take an offer because a quarter isn't going to do me a lot of good, and may end up stuck in my couch anyway. It's definitely more of a case-by-case thing for me, where I look at each offer and ask myself if I think I can get substantially more for it, or if the card has some noteworthy long-term upside(though my asking price usually compensates for that). I've been burnt that way, but I only regret a couple sales among the 3000+ cards I've moved on the site, most of those being Trout/Kaepernick cards that were beyond any sane expectation. It doesn't really bother me that people want to get the best deal possible. It's what makes the site fun.
hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa.
Posts: 305
Default

Rookies & Jerseys pulls the same shady stunts as joelshitshow, avoid him even if you have to pay a few cents more. I wont give my business to the snakes
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,626
Default

Here's my 2 cents.

I don't deal with joel $hit show

From a set builder's perspective, sometimes there is a fixed amount I want to pay per card. I could give a rat's ass about who is on the front of it. It's a hole in my set. Don't be offended if I make an offer at a price that I've successfully paid in the past.

Obviously this doesn't apply to many of you, as you are sensible and can send an intelligent counteroffer.
__________________
This is a clown forum, bro.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Cactuspies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Great Pond of Metro Phoenix
Posts: 7,147
Default

reasonable_offers_accepted has made virtually the same offer on one of my cards now 5 times in the past couple of weeks Never going above 40% of my asking. I finally declined the last one, so hopefully that stops that. - and I NEVER decline an offer

Most of the names posted I don't deal w/either for all the same reasons as stated. I don't even look at the classifieds. I used to look every day and work through ports but when your 50% asking price is still double or triple ebay pricing, I won't even go past the first page of your cards.

I have cards on my watch list that have notes w/the asking prices (nice feature btw) and I see the same sellers having the same cards yet the price actually keeps going up, or it goes up when there is a sale or clasified ad.
I like the sale feature and had a great response to the last one I did and I like that feature now.

Anyone notice the new notifications for offers? There is a little icon that pops up along the top banner.
__________________
Look at MEEEEEEE!!!
I SUPPORT #BostonStrong The One Fund & Parkinson's Research
http://sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=AzPats10
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
37Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,406
Default

Joelshitshow's actions on COMC are deplorable. Repricing his cards after you make an offer is beyond low in my book.
__________________
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.