Blowout Cards Forums
Sean Bassik

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Selling Comics on COMC

I just obtained another large amount of comics as a throw in, after buying a older gentleman's collection of cards. This is my 2nd or 3rd throw in comic collection now, so these are starting to pile up. All the big names and a bunch of old stuff. Considering COMC is taking comics now, is anyone who has submitted making any sales?

I'd love to hear some reviews because I'd love to know what I have. My critique is the $1.00 a book for 1 month processing & .50 for bulk fee. Seems a little steep, but maybe I'm wrong. COMC has done me very well on cards, so I'm very curious about the comic service.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's my experience:

At present, comic books sell sporadically on COMC, but they do sell. The books most likely to sell are basic back issues of titles with strong characters, especially movie or TV tie-ins (Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, Superman) and especially if it's the first appearance of a major character for an attractive price. The prices the books fetch are likely to be at or below the price that the comic would fetch on eBay.

At present, on eBay, the comic would sell faster for as much or more money. The advantage of selling on COMC, as with cards, is that they do all the monkey work of scanning, sorting, packing, shipping, collecting payment, etc. Plus, you're supporting COMC, if that means anything.

At present, my sense is that there are zero or very few comic book buyers on COMC who don't also deal in cards. There are some flippers who would rather buy comics than cash out, if the price is right. However, these people are mostly attracted to low percent off "Book Value".

At one time, COMC listed a "Book Value" for each comic which was based on a theoretical near mint "Book Value", unadjusted for grade. So a lot of lower grade comics which were properly priced at 5% to 10% of near mint looked like bargains at "90-95% off book value".

Recently, COMC erased all of the book values (and all of the asking prices) of every comic on the site. Since then, comics have trickled out the door when they are in demand and when the price is competitive with other online venues.

At some point, it's possible that "book value" will return to the site - presumably an adjusted-for-grade book value on lower end stuff, possibly in "buckets" by a range of condition, as they do with vintage cards. For Modern Age comics with no condition notes, it seems appropriate to use "Near Mint" values, just as with modern cards.

Another issue with comics on COMC right now is the treatment of "explicit" and "parental advisory" material. This doesn't affect vintage comics much, but nearly every comic book worth more than cover price published in the past 20 years or so is "mature" by some standard. At first, I thought the ban on "explicit" material was strictly limited to actual sex and nudity. And I thought it was a temporary situation - that COMC would develop the infrastructure to sell mature audience items.

However, the actual standard being used to determine "explicit" material is unclear to me. Right now, I have dozens of basic back issues of Spawn, Hellboy, Vampirella, Lady Death, Witchblade and other similar titles in limbo in my account. I can't price them. I can't mark them not for sale or to be shipped. They are just sitting there. I have thousands of additional comics at home which I'm not sure whether to send in, because there is no clear standard. A 1985 comic marked "Mature" is much different than a 2013 comic marked "Mature", and a lot of truly explicit comics aren't marked "Mature" at all.

If this situation persists, I think it will be difficult for COMC to grow into the comics market. Serious collectors of modern age books are going to want titles like Spawn and Walking Dead, and if a site won't even offer them for sale, they might not shop there at all. If people have to second-guess the submission process, they might not submit anything at all.

In general, comic collectors are readers. Many of them are First-Amendment absolutists, and they tend to bristle at anything they consider to be "censorship".

Again, this might not affect your comics, but it could affect how well comics in general sell on the site.

For your current situation, I would say it depends on your time frame, and how much effort you want to put into things. If you have piles of unsold comics sitting at home, you'd be just as well off having piles of comics for sale at COMC, trickling out the door.

If you have expensive comics ($50 and up retail) and you want to raise money quickly without putting in much effort, I'd suggest consigning them at mycomicshop dot com or some other reputable site. If you have cheap comics ($2 and less retail) which aren't really worth messing with, I'd suggest making bulk lots of similar items and selling them on eBay.

For stuff in-between, or if you're willing to wait longer, or if you want to support COMC in the infancy of this experiment, then I'd say, bite the bullet, send in a bulk lot of at least 200 comics for 50 cent processing and see what happens.
checkoutmydeals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

UPDATE:

COMC is starting to assign "Book Values" to comics again. The latest batch of comics has "book values" assigned to most of the comics. I believe most of the "book values" are mostly coming from a site called "Comic Book Realm", but I'm not sure because I'm not registered there.

It appears that Modern-age comic values are mostly some sort of "Near Mint" value, and that older comics might have the "Very Fine" or "Fine" price as the COMC "Book Value".

A couple of the comics in the latest batch were also assigned a COMC grade of "poor". Presumably, in the future there will also be some sort of mid-grade "bucket" - the way vintage cards might be assigned "Good to VGEX".

It's nice to have some sort of reference value for the comics. Comics continue to sell a few here and a few there - some to resellers, and some, apparently, to readers / collectors.
checkoutmydeals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. Anyone else with comic selling experience on COMC that can give some insight?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've not tried it yet as I don't like the $1.00 per book entry fee.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I've not tried it yet as I don't like the $1.00 per book entry fee.
This was my issue too.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

I bought a port with 29 comic books in it and sold them in a comic book port sale for a little more than I paid. So there are collectors out there. My prices were set pretty low so that helped to sell it.

Last edited by colls69; 06-14-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Misspell
colls69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

I sent in around 400 comic books and i have only sold a dozen. Plus my more expensive variations are explicit as well.
marines4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Hard to buy comics when you can't see the inside to make sure all of the pages are there.
peapod is offline   Reply With Quote