Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
Isn't there a rule on the thickness of cards (due to their scanning equipment I suppose), which means not all GU can go on COMC?
I am not sure

One more noob question for anyone, if I use the $70 flat rate special, Am I allowed to ship minis?
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies347 View Post
I am not sure

One more noob question for anyone, if I use the $70 flat rate special, Am I allowed to ship minis?
Yes on the minis, but they have to be lined up normally... you can't jam them in double-wide.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
Yes on the minis, but they have to be lined up normally... you can't jam them in double-wide.
Ok cool, thanks alot
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
Isn't there a rule on the thickness of cards (due to their scanning equipment I suppose), which means not all GU can go on COMC?
I don't believe any card is too thick for COMC. If it's above normal thickness (something more than your normal relic, such as a helmet or coin card) the shipping price will be increased (to either $0.45 or $1.00) and your processing might go up a bit.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #80 (permalink)

Can I buy store credit at the national?

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/illini99
Illini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3977 View Post
I just tried to email Comc asking for a coupon, but the email was kicked back to me due to Comc's inbox being full. Moe I need some help.
Hey hoopster! I got your back, buddy.

If you don't have a physical coupon in hand, no worries. Just be sure to let us know that you're sending in your first batch of cards (leave a note in the box or send us an email when you send off your cards) and we'll apply the $20 off discount when we start processing your cards.

Thanks and have a great day!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #82 (permalink)

This is why you guys are the best^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxrule111 View Post
It takes forever for the first 30 day batch to finish it seems. But I have sent in a 700 card order, have a 700 card order processing, and have a 1200 one boxed to go just havnt gone to the Post office yet.

I hate the fees at first because it sucks to pay $300 without a single card for sale for 30 days, but overtime its not to bad. I do enjoy checking daily and seeing a card or two sell. I mainly have cheap stuff now.

My advice would be if your sending in a large order do the 30 days, save the fees from 10 day service or w/e it is. Try to weed out things that might sit @ 50 cents from the first order.
I see people stating they sell 40 cent to $1 cards (not that you do) and I don't understand how they can do that so cheaply? For every card I send in, when I go to post the asking price, it ALWAYS adds 50 cents to the asking price for "shipping."

Can't seem to comprehend how many different ways the folks at COMC have gotten creative with their fees. You pay to ship them the cards, then 50 cents to scan and post, then another 50 cents added for "shipping" to the asking price, then the buyer ALSO has to pay shipping - hmmmmm???? then when you want to cash it out, there is a $1 charge for "small cash out fee" and I did around $200 last time, that's considered a SMALL TRANSACTION?

Or

If you want to do BO credit, which was my preference, they have goofy dollar amounts you have to buy, why can't I just convert my $180 in store credit into $162 in blowout funds? BO made me confirm my Ebay and COMC when I joined these boards, so clearly they are all associated... I don't like the idea of having to do "their" assigned values for gift cards. Then, after all of that is said and done, you get to pay shipping to have your cards sent back or if you buy on BO, then you pay shipping there too....

REALLY like the site, as mentioned, it's a tough pill to swallow when you have to take a huge % of your sales to pay for the next batch, I completely understand it's the cost of doing business and I can always go elsewhere, it just seems that COMC was intended to be a "cheaper" alternative to Ebay and at the same time, greatly reducing the amount of time you need to spend as a seller. Which, in a way, it does, but I am now leaning towards the Bay again because I can list them immediately, there are no restrictions on how "low" I can sell a card and although the fees seem higher on the Bay, I think it's something like 17% for Ebay and Paypal, that's not a whole lot different than the 20% COMC charges.

Wait a second... :-) Ebay IS cheaper than COMC if you look at the whole picture. Never thought I would say that.

On a related note, I will continue to use COMC and I like the site - when I joined, I thought it would be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Ebay, now that I look, it's likely more expensive. Love that they handle every aspect of the transaction, but for the fees we all pay, it seems like the lack of exposure and wait time to get the cards listed, then priced, then sold, then paid - COMC doesn't have the same shine it did 2 months ago before I signed up...

Babble over
cyndeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #84 (permalink)

I have said it before and I will say it again... If you are paying a 20% cashout fee to COMC then you aren't trying. Today I bought a 1986 Star Michael Jordan BGS 9.5 for $187.50 and paid $3 to get it shipped to me. I am fairly sure I can get $225 for it on eBay. After the ~10% fee to eBay and PayPal, I'm left with about $200 cash... or more than I wanted to cash out from COMC.

Even if you can't find a card to sell for more than you bought it for, buy one that has an easily discernible price and sell it on these Boards. You'll only pay PayPal fees and a small shipping charge.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Couldn't have chosen one of mine?!?!
How do people sell a card for $1? When they used to have "beckett value" listed on there, you could only list the card for a certain % of that value. I want to be able to sell a $10 card for $1, if that's what I choose to do! :-)

So, if the card was $1, then Ajax must have listed it at 50 cents, then COMC adds 50 cents "shipping" (eventhough they also charge shipping again on the back end????) and if he paid for 1 week processing, that's another 50 cents.

That's 50 cents in fees plus 50 cents in fees = $1, which is what you paid - kinda looks like COMC is the only one making anything on the sale of YOUR cards, can someone tell me where I went wrong?

I am aware there are cheaper listing options that take longer, but as someone else mentioned previously, you have to pay so many fees upfront, you have to sell 200 $2 cards in order to pay the fees to send in another order of 500-800 cards, wait an entire month - I don't have the patience and it worries me that a company could have 1,000's of my cards for months at a time and in some cases, I am not even able to sell or have them returned for 30 days at at a time

GREAT SITE! Just need to work out some kinks!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #86 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If I buy a card and relist it immediately,what is the charge?
ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/shabagel
shabagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabagel View Post
If I buy a card and relist it immediately,what is the charge?
There isn't one.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlec View Post
Another question to the masses:

What's a good, secure way to ship a ton ton ton of low-end inserts to COMC? I'm talking like a 4 row white card box that's completely full.

-Brandon
take two top loaders place them over the top and bottom of the stack. Use masking tape and tape all around the cards. I shipped over a 1,000 to Comc this way.
eliteco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
I have said it before and I will say it again... If you are paying a 20% cashout fee to COMC then you aren't trying. Today I bought a 1986 Star Michael Jordan BGS 9.5 for $187.50 and paid $3 to get it shipped to me. I am fairly sure I can get $225 for it on eBay. After the ~10% fee to eBay and PayPal, I'm left with about $200 cash... or more than I wanted to cash out from COMC.

Even if you can't find a card to sell for more than you bought it for, buy one that has an easily discernible price and sell it on these Boards. You'll only pay PayPal fees and a small shipping charge.
That is a BRILLIANT idea, I love it and think you are very smart for doing that, honestly. I just don't think we should have to do all of that work in order to get our money back... Also, I DID try exactly what you are referring to, there was a card that sells for $80 on ebay, the seller had it listed for $225, I couldn't offer $80 or $100 or even $110 - because that was below the minimum.

Love the way you work the system and did try to do the same myself.

The entire reason I signed up for COMC was to move lower end items for BO store credit to buy some boxes here and there, I should have read the terms on the gift certificates as I can appreciate COMC needs to make money and can charge whatever they want for paypal cash out fees, etc - HOWEVER, I don't understand why we have to pay a % to convert to BO store credit that is in denominations that not everyone particularly wants.

BO should be straight up, we are agreeing to spend our money on their site, if we don't, they can keep what's left on the gift card. It would only increase their sales and they already markup the items, why charge another 15% on top of that?

To you point, rather than having to buy the MJ 9.5, I would personally think it would be in BO's best interest to NOT charge a fee for gift cards, so more people recycle their sales into wax, then whatever they pull, send it back to COMC, they get their 7 levels of fees and do it all over again.

Thank you VERY MUCH for the tip on "trading up" to then cash out with cards instead of Payal - it's a great idea I will need to explore - simply wish they would change the fee structure to encourage us to buy more wax instead of discouraging it!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndeeg3 View Post
How do people sell a card for $1? When they used to have "beckett value" listed on there, you could only list the card for a certain % of that value. I want to be able to sell a $10 card for $1, if that's what I choose to do! :-)

So, if the card was $1, then Ajax must have listed it at 50 cents, then COMC adds 50 cents "shipping" (eventhough they also charge shipping again on the back end????) and if he paid for 1 week processing, that's another 50 cents.

That's 50 cents in fees plus 50 cents in fees = $1, which is what you paid - kinda looks like COMC is the only one making anything on the sale of YOUR cards, can someone tell me where I went wrong?

I am aware there are cheaper listing options that take longer, but as someone else mentioned previously, you have to pay so many fees upfront, you have to sell 200 $2 cards in order to pay the fees to send in another order of 500-800 cards, wait an entire month - I don't have the patience and it worries me that a company could have 1,000's of my cards for months at a time and in some cases, I am not even able to sell or have them returned for 30 days at at a time

COMC adds 50 cents for shipping on each sale item?

How do these sell for 21 cents ea then?

2010 Topps Allen and Ginter #183 - Tommy Manzella RC (Rookie Card) - COMC
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:

OK, I have a lot of cards listed at $0.20 or lower. I bought most of them as part of portfolios where I paid 25% of someone's asking price. I choose to view all prices without shipping as I don't ship many cards, only the occasional higher value card.

Most people pay $0.25 per card for processing, but that only gets paid once. As cards are moved, flipped, etc, the second or third owner doesn't care about what owner #1 paid for processing. There are also first time submitter coupons, occasionally they offer deals on processing, etc.

There is an upfront fee to submitting cards, but that is the cost of doing business. After that, it is pretty smooth sailing. I let some purchases pay for new submissions and cash out the rest with PC or high dollar cards. If you are impatient about timing of sales, then COMC is not for you unless you want to price things VERY low. Use eBay if you MUST HAVE MONEY NOW. I basically send in lower value cards that I would never get around to selling myself on eBay.

It is an amazing site and service if used properly. Not having to deal with buyers is AMAZING. No such thing as a non-paying bidder or a return. My cards sell when I am asleep or on vacation. I love it.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
That is a BRILLIANT idea, I love it and think you are very smart for doing that, honestly. I just don't think we should have to do all of that work in order to get our money back... Also, I DID try exactly what you are referring to, there was a card that sells for $80 on ebay, the seller had it listed for $225, I couldn't offer $80 or $100 or even $110 - because that was below the minimum.

Love the way you work the system and did try to do the same myself.

The entire reason I signed up for COMC was to move lower end items for BO store credit to buy some boxes here and there, I should have read the terms on the gift certificates as I can appreciate COMC needs to make money and can charge whatever they want for paypal cash out fees, etc - HOWEVER, I don't understand why we have to pay a % to convert to BO store credit that is in denominations that not everyone particularly wants.

BO should be straight up, we are agreeing to spend our money on their site, if we don't, they can keep what's left on the gift card. It would only increase their sales and they already markup the items, why charge another 15% on top of that?

To you point, rather than having to buy the MJ 9.5, I would personally think it would be in BO's best interest to NOT charge a fee for gift cards, so more people recycle their sales into wax, then whatever they pull, send it back to COMC, they get their 7 levels of fees and do it all over again.

Thank you VERY MUCH for the tip on "trading up" to then cash out with cards instead of Payal - it's a great idea I will need to explore - simply wish they would change the fee structure to encourage us to buy more wax instead of discouraging it!
Blowout and COMC are two different companies, working together. Blowout makes money on the wax markup and COMC makes money on the discounted gift certificate price. I do agree with you though that COMC/BO should allow any denomination over $20 to be converted to a gift certificate. I don't see the difference if they still take their 12% or whatever it is.

And the person selling that $225 card... don't bother with them. A lot of people put silly prices and see what happens. Sometimes people bite. But there are fair deals to be had, you just have to be a little patient to find them.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
COMC adds 50 cents for shipping on each sale item?

How do these sell for 21 cents ea then?

2010 Topps Allen and Ginter #183 - Tommy Manzella RC (Rookie Card) - COMC
That is great... that person has a sale on. To me (I look at card prices without shipping) that card shows up with a price of -$0.04. I tried to buy it and it didn't work... lol. So it shows up to you as $0.25 plus -$0.04, or $0.21.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #94 (permalink)

This thread is becoming very, very, very helpful.

How do I buy someones port?

Last edited by phillies347; 07-29-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
This thread is becoming very, very, very helpful.

How do I buy someones port?
Browse the Promotions section... people list Ports for sale and you can make them offers.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Browse the Promotions section... people list Ports for sale and you can make them offers.
Sweet I found It! Thanks once again. Im getting a hang of this site. Gonna send in my first batch of 500 cards tomorrow
Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteco3 View Post
take two top loaders place them over the top and bottom of the stack. Use masking tape and tape all around the cards. I shipped over a 1,000 to Comc this way.
Put them in 600 count boxes and then slide those into a LARGE flat rate box (not the square box, the rectangular one) and you can get 3-4 depending on what size inner boxes you use, then you CRAM them in there, it may be tough to seal because of the girth, but you will get it in there and it will close and you will save money...
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you want my port? Not a whole lot in it, but would consider a reasonable offer.

Speaking of which, do I have to pay the 10 bucks to list the port or is it possible to work a deal on here and then just transfer it?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Sweet I found It! Thanks once again. Im getting a hang of this site. Gonna send in my first batch of 500 cards tomorrow
Your welcome. Now go browse my page and buy some stuff!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you want my port? Not a whole lot in it, but would consider a reasonable offer.

Speaking of which, do I have to pay the 10 bucks to list the port or is it possible to work a deal on here and then just transfer it?
You can make a deal offline and then have the person select every item you have and then make an offer.

I made an offer for the one card you have the interests me...