Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 171
Default Low End cards Pricing on COMC

Does anybody have any luck moving low-end ($2 and under BV) cards unless you price them at 90% off or more? Anymore I just price them at 90% off as soon as I get any to get rid of them cause I never seem to sell any otherwise. Does anybody else have any luck getting more than 10% out of those low end cards?
dcaudle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Default

These cards sold better when shipping was cheaper. Tough to pay .25 shipping per card on cards only worth .50 a piece. I've noticed that they do sell better during shipping sales.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 144
Default

I've had moderate success at selling commons for 50 cents each. They don't move quickly but I do get a daily stream. The key for me if I send them in is to make sure there is not alot of cards on the site of that player. A common of the 25th man on a roster will sell better for me than a Glavine, Sosa, Randy Johnson, etc. common due to the fact they are on over 1,000 cards.

Example of sale yesterday:

1993 Select Rookie/Traded #34T
John Roper
Item: 8222373 Under $1 $0.55 6/4/2013

I don't make much profit on these but just happy to know that someone intentionally sought this card and had trouble finding it at a LCS or ebay listing.
jefflasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflasvegas View Post
I've had moderate success at selling commons for 50 cents each. They don't move quickly but I do get a daily stream. The key for me if I send them in is to make sure there is not alot of cards on the site of that player. A common of the 25th man on a roster will sell better for me than a Glavine, Sosa, Randy Johnson, etc. common due to the fact they are on over 1,000 cards.

Example of sale yesterday:

1993 Select Rookie/Traded #34T
John Roper
Item: 8222373 Under $1 $0.55 6/4/2013

I don't make much profit on these but just happy to know that someone intentionally sought this card and had trouble finding it at a LCS or ebay listing.

how did you decide to send in the Roper card?

PS: just sold my house in silverado.. Vegas is a great place to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what area are you from?
i use South Point casino top floor parking as my photo area for my cars..lol
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 808
Default

I sell a few here and there, but it's like watching paint dry. I once calculated that for every 1,250 cards with a book value $2 or less, that I sell 1 per day for an average of 61 cents.

It isn't a big revenue source for me, but there's a certain thrill when one does sell, like playing the nickel slots in Vegas and winning 25 cents.

I agree with others who say the key is to have cards where there are few if any on the site, plus a lot of patience. Also, it works better for people who have large accounts and pay $50 per month so that their stuff is rent free at $2.50 or less.

When there are hundreds of a particular card on COMC, it may or may not indicate that the card is low demand, but it's definitely an indicator that the guide price is too high.

It would be nice if the COMC submission process encouraged people to send in cards the site actually needs - like if they published a list of cards that are not on the site, or where there are less than 5 in stock or 1 year's worth of inventory - possibly restricting submissions to just those cards.
checkoutmydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
I sell a few here and there, but it's like watching paint dry. I once calculated that for every 1,250 cards with a book value $2 or less, that I sell 1 per day for an average of 61 cents.

It isn't a big revenue source for me, but there's a certain thrill when one does sell, like playing the nickel slots in Vegas and winning 25 cents.

I agree with others who say the key is to have cards where there are few if any on the site, plus a lot of patience. Also, it works better for people who have large accounts and pay $50 per month so that their stuff is rent free at $2.50 or less.

When there are hundreds of a particular card on COMC, it may or may not indicate that the card is low demand, but it's definitely an indicator that the guide price is too high.

It would be nice if the COMC submission process encouraged people to send in cards the site actually needs - like if they published a list of cards that are not on the site, or where there are less than 5 in stock or 1 year's worth of inventory - possibly restricting submissions to just those cards.

that is some useful information. thanks...

Just wondering? Did you pay $10,000+ in fees or buy ports to get your inventory? How long did it take for you to get to that amount of cards in your inventory?
nice assortment.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 808
Default

I submitted some, but mostly I pick them up when people are selling them cheap. For instance, after reading this thread, I bought about 100 from the original poster. (Thanks!). But a month from now, I'll probably still have 98 left.

The processing fees you pay as you go. So, you don't spend $10,000 all at once. You send in a batch, build up a few hundred credit, send in another batch, build up a few hundred credit, and so on. A few years later, maybe you have spent $10,000 on processing fees, but it doesn't seem like it.

When I had a brick and mortar store, I was spending at least $5,000 a month on stuff like rent, utilities, labor - money that didn't go to product, and that I will never see again. Plus there were shoplifters stealing from me and scam artists trying to pass off fake junk. COMC gets their fees, but they earn them. There's a lot less friction on COMC than there was in real life.
checkoutmydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
I submitted some, but mostly I pick them up when people are selling them cheap. For instance, after reading this thread, I bought about 100 from the original poster. (Thanks!). But a month from now, I'll probably still have 98 left.

The processing fees you pay as you go. So, you don't spend $10,000 all at once. You send in a batch, build up a few hundred credit, send in another batch, build up a few hundred credit, and so on. A few years later, maybe you have spent $10,000 on processing fees, but it doesn't seem like it.

When I had a brick and mortar store, I was spending at least $5,000 a month on stuff like rent, utilities, labor - money that didn't go to product, and that I will never see again. Plus there were shoplifters stealing from me and scam artists trying to pass off fake junk. COMC gets their fees, but they earn them. There's a lot less friction on COMC than there was in real life.
Wondered who bought them all, thanks! Always have good deals on $3 and less cards
dcaudle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
I submitted some, but mostly I pick them up when people are selling them cheap. For instance, after reading this thread, I bought about 100 from the original poster. (Thanks!). But a month from now, I'll probably still have 98 left.

The processing fees you pay as you go. So, you don't spend $10,000 all at once. You send in a batch, build up a few hundred credit, send in another batch, build up a few hundred credit, and so on. A few years later, maybe you have spent $10,000 on processing fees, but it doesn't seem like it.

When I had a brick and mortar store, I was spending at least $5,000 a month on stuff like rent, utilities, labor - money that didn't go to product, and that I will never see again. Plus there were shoplifters stealing from me and scam artists trying to pass off fake junk. COMC gets their fees, but they earn them. There's a lot less friction on COMC than there was in real life.
great info!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a brick and mortar store in the late 1990's... IT WAS WORTH IT! about $1,200 gross sales in cash DAILY, no credit card sales, $20,000-$50,000 WHOLESALE a week (POKEMON STUFF I WAS BRING IN) to the other shops in the state....!! What made alot of money was BUYING peoples collections..... BUT, as you know as an owner, it gets TIRED (especially when i had other businesses to run)... i sold 49% share of the business to a customer to run the store, IT FAILED ...LOL.... but it was interesting and fun for a few months.... STORE WAS Standing room only and people lining up outside (THE POKEMON CRAZY)... in a shopping center with alot of dinning places so parents would give their kids $20 to go "pokemon" shopping while the adults finish their meal... NUTS!!!!!!


I wonder how a Bricks and Mortar store would do now days? what is your take on the business side of the trading card business now days???????
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 808
Default

In my old collectibles store, we would trade for anything collectible, and any sports card worth at least $1 in Beckett. So people would drag stuff out of their closets and trade like crazy. All kinds of weird stuff.

I sold my store near the top of the Pokemon craze, and was a stay-at-home dad for a while. The person who bought the store didn't want the contents of the back room, which is where we shoved all of our overstock and things we didn't want to deal with for years and years. There were hundreds of thousands of comics, cards, toys and other collectibles.

****

A few years back, I tried to start a store again. It was a horrible mistake. The market has completely changed. 20 years ago, a person would walk into a store like mine with $20 in their pocket. They'd poke around the store and ooh and aah, find a pile of stuff, spend their $20 and leave. Or they'd find out I took trades and they'd bring in a huge pile.

With the new store, a person would walk in with $20 in their pocket. But the $20 was earmarked for a specific item that was for sale on the internet. Let's say it was a video game. If you had that video game in stock and you would sell it for $20, they'd buy it from you. Otherwise, you could have every other video game ever made for every system that ever existed, and they would not want it.

It was the same with trades. If someone brought in something to trade, it would usually be 1 or 2 things, not a collection. And they would want a specific item for the trade. They'd look around and not see anything they want, and either take a credit slip to come back later, or they would just ask for cash.

When people had items to sell, they would usually want the same price they thought they could get if they sold the item themselves on eBay, maybe knocking a few bucks off for the convenience of having money right now.

With a lot of customers, it wasn't sufficient to explain my sports card selling / trading policies. I had to explain to them what a sports card is. Seriously. There are kids who've never seen one, don't know what they are and don't understand why anyone would even want one. The only reason they even know sports exist is from playing video games.

It was the same with comics. Young kids would come in wearing Batman t-shirts and Spider-Man shoes, but they don't know that Batman or Spider-Man are comic book characters. They've seen them on TV. They've seen them in movies. They've seen toys and merchandise, but they've never read a comic book in their lives.

It's kind of like how some of your favorite movie or TV characters might have started out as a book, or in a magazine or in a pulp, or in a radio show, but you don't hunt down the books or magazines or pulps or radio shows. Just because you like James Bond movies, it doesn't mean you're going to buy an Ian Fleming paperback.

The other problem with the store was that there was no synergy between the store and the internet. I had thought that I could use the store to get stuff to sell online, and use the internet as a place to get stuff to sell in the store. But there really isn't any crossover. 95% of my cash inflow was coming from the internet. 95% of my fixed expenses were going to the store. Time that I spent boosting my internet business cut into time that I could devote to the store, and time that I devoted to the store cut into time that I could spend building up the internet. So, I closed the store and have no desire to open another one, ever again, in my entire life.

Last edited by checkoutmydeals; 06-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.
checkoutmydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Default

I just picked some up from the OP also. One other thought. If COMC ever does follow through with removing book prices, some of these cards might sell a lot better. It's much easier to sell a card with a listed BV of $10 for $1 than to sell a card with a listed BV of $1 for $1, even if the true value of both cards is $1.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Abilene TX
Posts: 147
Default

Some interesting and good comments hear. I know I have a tuff time selling lower base cards on COMC, but then again sometimes I sell a few in a day then go a couple weeks withouth anything. I could probably help my odds by check the inventory before sending in, but that would take long time if I filled a medium/large flat rate box.

Hek in a perfect world I'd send every card and comic I have to COMC and turn that into my job just selling, sending, and cashing out. But we don't live in that world, even though it would be nice. I just dont' ever see being able to generate enough income this way, unless you massivelay busted your but, buying cheap collections and flipping them. Even then it would be really hard. But dreaming is free.
__________________
Always entertaining COMC offers. Will consider buying Atlanta based teams stuff.
Items for sale: http://instagram.com/mikes_cards_and_comics
cntryislandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 337
Default

Just realized how many very large COMC users we have here on BO...
__________________
NeedChapmans Bought All My Ripken's
Jeramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 171
Default

Every once in a while when I get bored I will price a common at a couple of cents just to see how fast it gets snatched up. Ah the fun
dcaudle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 108
Default

I run sales pretty often, usually once a week. Since my low end cards are what I wanted to move the most. I always have a ton on the site. And when I run a sale, the low end stuff makes up probably 95-98% of what gets bought while the sale is going on. Which is exactly how I would want it to go.
jrod7290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Default

That's true. If you price them low enough, anything sells. I question whether those guys buying cards for 12 cents and listing them at 23 cents are making any money.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
That's true. If you price them low enough, anything sells. I question whether those guys buying cards for 12 cents and listing them at 23 cents are making any money.
Actaully a better profit margin than selling a $4 card for $6, you just have to sell a bunch of them.
dcaudle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
That's true. If you price them low enough, anything sells. I question whether those guys buying cards for 12 cents and listing them at 23 cents are making any money.
I do buy a lot of 12 cent cards and reprice. I would say I lose money on them as most are still sitting there. I usually buy them while watching a game they are currently playing in. I like to look at the backs to look at career stats. For that service, I have no problem tossing someone a dime.

As for the Roper that h4 asked about, I sent it in when I busted a score traded set. When I bust a set, I'll look at current inventory in text mode of that set and send in anything that is missing.
jefflasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
That's true. If you price them low enough, anything sells. I question whether those guys buying cards for 12 cents and listing them at 23 cents are making any money.
I am trying all angles at this comc stuff. But like FREE COMMONS people leave at the shops or throw away. JUNK CARDS are just that, JUNK... LOL... i think the low priced items are harder to sell, you get high percentage of return but you also have a high percentage of DEAD STOCK with is a "cost".. so basically... i am finding out JUNK is JUNK..... so i need to change my strategies ....


NOTE: Isnt there a way to sell JUNK/COMMONS some where on the internet ? like under $2 cards ? The only people that make money on under $2-5BV cards are ebay/comc/USPS/suppliers/etc .. they make more the the sellers...


I thinking of just buying cases bowman and just resell every year.... much easier (but boring).. and the temptation would end that strategy...

Last edited by h4auto; 06-14-2013 at 10:47 PM.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 171
Default

To me there is different "quality" of junk. Any card that is serial numbered, even if all the way up to /999 is not junk to me and I don't "discount" them the same way I would a $2 non serial numbered card. That may be just me however. Rookie cards are the same way, a $2 rookie no name is less junk thna a $2 star but not numbered if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
I am trying all angles at this comc stuff. But like FREE COMMONS people leave at the shops or throw away. JUNK CARDS are just that, JUNK... LOL... i think the low priced items are harder to sell, you get high percentage of return but you also have a high percentage of DEAD STOCK with is a "cost".. so basically... i am finding out JUNK is JUNK..... so i need to change my strategies ....


NOTE: Isnt there a way to sell JUNK/COMMONS some where on the internet ? like under $2 cards ? The only people that make money on under $2-5BV cards are ebay/comc/USPS/suppliers/etc .. they make more the the sellers...


I thinking of just buying cases bowman and just resell every year.... much easier (but boring).. and the temptation would end that strategy...
dcaudle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaudle68 View Post
To me there is different "quality" of junk. Any card that is serial numbered, even if all the way up to /999 is not junk to me and I don't "discount" them the same way I would a $2 non serial numbered card. That may be just me however. Rookie cards are the same way, a $2 rookie no name is less junk thna a $2 star but not numbered if that makes sense.
Junk is if ebay/comc/usps/paypal/suppliers makes (or EVEN they are the ONLY ONES THAT profit) money from a sellers transaction... sucks.

I been buying "junk" the last few days (400 cards/most "junk")... one card that sold was a $2.00 auto/patch/rc ... most of the low end stuff will sit (i am beginning to realize) and be dead stock.... I THINK...

My schooling, just experimenting for the next month to try and figure out what COMC is good for.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 561
Default

My ship is sinking .......
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
jkbball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaudle68 View Post
Every once in a while when I get bored I will price a common at a couple of cents just to see how fast it gets snatched up. Ah the fun
Haha I happened to run into one of these that you put down. I mean i'll buy anything on comc if it's 4 cents lol I flipped it that night for 8 cents. I'm not really making much buying and flipping, but I have fun with it.

I've run into the same problem a few of you have. On the old site I could flip low end cards very easy, a "10 cent card" looks much better then a "35 cent card" (once you add in shipping).. and I sold a lot more on the old site. Still miss it.. It was better. Can't do anything about it now though.. hopefully it picks up. I feel like there are more single sellers than buyers at the moment in the card industry.. maybe this is inaccurate.
__________________
"We Talking Bout Practice Man"
Check out my cards for sale on COMC!
85-95% off nearly all of them!
http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Users/jkbball,sp
jkbball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa.
Posts: 270
Default

Yeah sadly My flipping is going to diminish tremendously...Cant stand the new site.5 minutes or so and I can't wait to get off it. Just so troublesome to maneuver and so unappealing.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbball View Post
I feel like there are more single sellers than buyers at the moment in the card industry.. maybe this is inaccurate.
Certainly, this is the case on COMC. This month, I have all of $331 in sales, which puts me on pace for my worst month in over two years. Last year, I averaged well over $1000 a month in sales.

Also, I believe undercutting has gotten much more aggressive as sellers stretch for sales, which is an unfortunate massive waste of man hours. I have to imagine that quite a few sellers who keep their prices high are paying more in storage fees than they are getting in sales at this point.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ebay-comc-online-selling-shows-paypal-shipping/523720-low-end-cards-pricing-comc.html
Posted By For Type Date
Home - Blowout TV This thread Refback 06-05-2013 11:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.