Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #151 (permalink)

allz i know iz that $800k could buy some extra soundproofing or a larger home (even $400k could do that)

I agree with most of comd's post, even listing 600 cards on ebay is a PIA. I currently have just under 300 listed and it takes tons of time to get scans/pictures/listings/shipping all done on your own. there is a reason why bigboyd/tnt and others have "people" working for them. You cannot do this all alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
That's because he edits his posts.

Here's the last time he threatened to take his ball and go home:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/e...y-mess-up.html

And he ended up spamming a 50% off sale.
Also don't forget when his inventory went "missing". still to this day I don't think we know what really happened.

Edit I can't find the thread about the missing inventory...so I might be wrong about who it happened to, or the thread was deleted.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10

Last edited by Cactuspies; 06-20-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: edited
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
allz i know iz that $800k could buy some extra soundproofing or a larger home (even $400k could do that)

I agree with most of comd's post, even listing 600 cards on ebay is a PIA. I currently have just under 300 listed and it takes tons of time to get scans/pictures/listings/shipping all done on your own. there is a reason why bigboyd/tnt and others have "people" working for them. You cannot do this all alone.

Also don't forget when his inventory went "missing". still to this day I don't think we know what really happened.

Edit I can't find the thread about the missing inventory...so I might be wrong about who it happened to, or the thread was deleted.
I also agree with almost all of COMD's post. It is why even though I am not happy with the direction COMC is going, that I am choosing to give them a long leash. I thing TSJCT will regret this in the end but it is his business and inventory and his right to do as he pleases. I despise Ebay and the hassles that go with it. Nevermind the paying to ship back cards that I've already paid to have submitted.

Future sunmissions on the other hand are up in the air. I plan on seeing how COMC proceeds before deciding. I am truly shocked that COMC like Ebay can't see that their sellers are their most important customers. Without them they would not exist nor have buyers.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
I also agree with almost all of COMD's post. It is why even though I am not happy with the direction COMC is going, that I am choosing to give them a long leash. I thing TSJCT will regret this in the end but it is his business and inventory and his right to do as he pleases. I despise Ebay and the hassles that go with it. Nevermind the paying to ship back cards that I've already paid to have submitted.

Future sunmissions on the other hand are up in the air. I plan on seeing how COMC proceeds before deciding. I am truly shocked that COMC like Ebay can't see that their sellers are their most important customers. Without them they would not exist nor have buyers.
I'm with you right here in bold. I mentioned somewhere that I have stacks and boxes I have been saving up, but I have to see what the direction is from this point. did you see the new blog post about the store and ship? I know that is a CYA post but AAA has already nailed it on the first reply. Also doesn't AAA look like the guy from the baggage wars show? I know I haven't seen eye to eye with him at times, but he has been bringing up a lot of points in the shipping blogs much like the civil ones here.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #154 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJCT View Post
I was told before the last Phone call from Tim that the return policy would be upgraded to protect sellers then i after that last phone call i was JAW dropped. Tim said the cards i got back were from a BUYER that buys cards to get them in hand and if he does not see them getting a GEM MINT 10 he returns them. He saves money to buy 100 cards to be shipped to him and then weeds out the ones that will not grade 10. Comc accepts these back as the return policy he said can not stop this. COMC knows what this guy is doing and still lets this happen. As a business person myself i want NO PART of a deal like this. So with that being said, that is the reason i am through sending cards in.
This new information is a very valid concern. Had a major fact like this been presented from the beginning, I doubt there would have been so much spite thrown your way. I wasn't overly concerned with the odd card being return every now and then. However, if someone is doing something like this in bulk quantities, and it's being allowed, then I too most definitely share your concern.

A company can have a solid return policy without allowing things like this to take place. Reasonable limits can be put into place without hurting a company's integrity. Perhaps they could add a restocking fee to returns over a certain quantity. Or just limit the number of returns someone can make. I don't know if COMC is wanting to be the Nordstroms of the hobby, but that would seem to be a bad business model. This will definitely be a topic of discussion if I get a chance to talk to them this weekend.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
I'm with you right here in bold. I mentioned somewhere that I have stacks and boxes I have been saving up, but I have to see what the direction is from this point. did you see the new blog post about the store and ship? I know that is a CYA post but AAA has already nailed it on the first reply. Also doesn't AAA look like the guy from the baggage wars show? I know I haven't seen eye to eye with him at times, but he has been bringing up a lot of points in the shipping blogs much like the civil ones here.
I don't watch shipping wars but his blog comment was perfect. Short, sweet and succinct. I too have a large volume of cards sitting on standby waiting to be submitted but will hold off for now. Ebay isn't really an interest due to , well , being Ebay. Plus, at this point most are lower level cards that do great on COMC but are too much of a hassle for Ebay.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #156 (permalink)

Hello. A couple of clarifications so that misinformation does not get repeated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod View Post
the site has stated their return rate is now about 4%
The Amazon.com return rate is between 3 and 4%. This is due to the combination of their one-click purchasing option, their universal return policy which all Amazon sellers must abide by, and the lower scan quality of images listed on their site. Amazon.com sales are significant, but not by any means the majority of COMC's business. The COMC.com return rate is much, much lower.

A feature we are planning to offer in the interest of transparency is providing each seller with a dashboard page reporting all of their cards which have been returned, and whether the transaction was actually reversed and the item was returned into their account or whether COMC absorbed the loss.

Quote:
Tim said the cards i got back were from a BUYER that buys cards to get them in hand and if he does not see them getting a GEM MINT 10 he returns them. He saves money to buy 100 cards to be shipped to him and then weeds out the ones that will not grade 10. Comc accepts these back as the return policy he said can not stop this. COMC knows what this guy is doing and still lets this happen.
To clarify, we can and do stop this sort of behavior. The purpose of our return policy is to offer a greater sense of safety to buyers who would otherwise feel at risk when making an online purchase for a collectible item. It is not intended to enable high-grade speculation, etc and it is very easy for us to tell the difference between those two types of customer.

If we suspect this sort of behavior is occurring, or if a seller contacts us with a concern of this nature, we investigate. In the event that a buyer is abusing our policy, we contact that buyer and deal with this issue directly. In the case of duplicity, COMC protects our sellers and in many cases, absorbs the cost. We have means to curb this sort of abuse, up to and including banning the buyer from the site.

The fundamental rule is that COMC stands by its customers - both buyers and sellers - to ensure their satisfaction.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #157 (permalink)

At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, thanks for chiming in on this thread.

If we suspect this sort of behavior is occurring, or if a seller contacts us with a concern of this nature, we investigate.

At the risk of making a softball suggestion, sellers don't really have the tools available to make these determinations. There's no way for us to know how many of our cards a particular buyer has purchased, nor how many they've returned.

If they purchased through an offer, it will appear in our offer history, but my offer history is 1700 pages long, and I can't search or filter the list for a particular card or buyer.

If they purchased the card outright for full asking price, then we have no way of knowing who that person was. Maybe they bought 10 cards from me and returned 9. Maybe they bought 1,000 cards from me and returned 1.

I think some people around here are concerned with the "trust us we'll take care of it" aspect of this policy. They might be more comfortable if they had the ability to "trust, but verify".
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, thanks for chiming in on this thread.

If we suspect this sort of behavior is occurring, or if a seller contacts us with a concern of this nature, we investigate.

At the risk of making a softball suggestion, sellers don't really have the tools available to make these determinations. There's no way for us to know how many of our cards a particular buyer has purchased, nor how many they've returned.

If they purchased through an offer, it will appear in our offer history, but my offer history is 1700 pages long, and I can't search or filter the list for a particular card or buyer.

If they purchased the card outright for full asking price, then we have no way of knowing who that person was. Maybe they bought 10 cards from me and returned 9. Maybe they bought 1,000 cards from me and returned 1.

I think some people around here are concerned with the "trust us we'll take care of it" aspect of this policy. They might be more comfortable if they had the ability to "trust, but verify".
I think that's a completely fair assessment. I just wanted to reiterate the feature Jeremy mentioned. We're working to add a section to the Seller Dashboard that displays every return that comes back to the seller. You'll see the item that was returned, the reason for the return, and whether the item returned to your account or COMC absorbed the loss.

We hope that tool will empower sellers to see the types of returns they may get and contact us about any concerns they may have.

I want to thank everyone here for voicing their feedback. We're listening and are committed to keep COMC the safest place for both buyers and sellers

Grant
Ghumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #159 (permalink)
Banned

Great answers, but i will watch what happens for now... I am just giving my lower price cards away for free for now.

Packed and ready to ship but no where to go....
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #160 (permalink)

You're giving away cards for free because you can't stand the idea that someone might buy one and then return it?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #161 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
You're giving away cards for free because you can't stand the idea that someone might buy one and then return it?
Nope. i am giving them away because Paypal,ebay,usps,comc,etc makes more money then the sellers.... (if you follow my other posts, i got sick of the real estate investments because too many people make money of MY MONETARY RISKS)...

I been giving away cards the last few days... i even pay the postage...

Same as sending in cards or paying fees up front with ebay , comc and fedex or usps....

Not expensive cards.. all the $5.00 and under things i would have send out or sold...

I will still monitor how comc does, it has its uses and is great. BUT, what i dont understand is why comc is expanding to comic,antiques,coins etc on the expense of the CARD HOBBYIST.. if comc thinks those other hobbies are money makers, let the card hobby improve from THERE FEES i dont want to be financing features,storage,staff for a market i dont use.... Just weird decisions sometimes.................

Throwing GOOD MONEY at Bad money doesnt make sense.... expansion is not a good thing all the time...
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #162 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hello. A couple of clarifications so that misinformation does not get repeated:

The Amazon.com return rate is between 3 and 4%. This is due to the combination of their one-click purchasing option, their universal return policy which all Amazon sellers must abide by, and the lower scan quality of images listed on their site. Amazon.com sales are significant, but not by any means the majority of COMC's business. The COMC.com return rate is much, much lower.

A feature we are planning to offer in the interest of transparency is providing each seller with a dashboard page reporting all of their cards which have been returned, and whether the transaction was actually reversed and the item was returned into their account or whether COMC absorbed the loss.

To clarify, we can and do stop this sort of behavior. The purpose of our return policy is to offer a greater sense of safety to buyers who would otherwise feel at risk when making an online purchase for a collectible item. It is not intended to enable high-grade speculation, etc and it is very easy for us to tell the difference between those two types of customer.

If we suspect this sort of behavior is occurring, or if a seller contacts us with a concern of this nature, we investigate. In the event that a buyer is abusing our policy, we contact that buyer and deal with this issue directly. In the case of duplicity, COMC protects our sellers and in many cases, absorbs the cost. We have means to curb this sort of abuse, up to and including banning the buyer from the site.

The fundamental rule is that COMC stands by its customers - both buyers and sellers - to ensure their satisfaction.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Wrong. Tim told me he was going to start charging a restocking fee for this individual but he could continue the same old bgs 10 deal. Now if you want to chime in have the facts straight or go talk with tim
TSJCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #163 (permalink)
Banned

This panel and so called assurances by comc staff do not satisfy me. I have been speaking with several other sellers on facebook who feel the same way. I am not going to accept a return weeks or months after I sold something and if that is what comc is expecting me to do then sportlots will get my listings going forward. My vintage does better there anyway and at least there if a customer wants to return they must do so in a reasonable time frame.

comc is the boss of their site and if they want to push policy that runs sellers off then other sites will benefit. I am not scared of doing the work myself. I'll continue to buy because comc has always allowed buyers to return cards. only one getting screwed now is the seller.

Last edited by peapod; 06-20-2013 at 10:59 PM.
peapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
This panel and so called assurances by comc staff do not satisfy me. I have been speaking with several other sellers on facebook who feel the same way. I am not going to accept a return weeks or months after I sold something and if that is what comc is expecting me to do then sportlots will get my listings going forward. My vintage does better there anyway and at least there if a customer wants to return they must do so in a reasonable time frame.

comc is the boss of their site and if they want to push policy that runs sellers off then other sites will benefit. I am not scared of doing the work myself. I'll continue to buy because comc has always allowed buyers to return cards. only one getting screwed now is the seller.
NOt being a jerk, and not being offensive, but how many items have you had returned thus far?
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #165 (permalink)
Banned

I have returned 2 items and called and they refunded a third item without a return. In all cases what looked to be print lines on a card turned out to be creases.

But I get my items shipped within 48 hours when I buy. I don't wait weeks or months.

So your point is?

My point was that comc has always allowed returns so their claim that this change somehow helps buyer confidence is bs. All this does is drop surprise balance reductions on sellers accounts.

Last edited by peapod; 06-20-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #166 (permalink)

[QUOTE=peapod;5140808]I have returned 2 items and called and they refunded a third item without a return. In all cases what looked to be print lines on a card turned out to be creases.

But I get my items shipped within 48 hours when I buy. I don't wait weeks or months.

So your point is?

My point was that comc has always allowed returns so their claim that this change somehow helps buyer confidence is bs. All this does is drop surprise balance reductions on sellers accounts.[/QUOTE

not trying to make a point, hence why I said do not take offense.

I have a decent port but no tsjct...I have not had a return. I cannot see your comc link so I am unsure who you are or your scenario.

It seems that the person complaining is the person with the 2nd highest bv on the site. Therefore, he will get more returns than most. Just wondering if he is crying a lil too much and influencing others who have not had issues. I have over 3000 sales past 8 months and zero returns.

I agree, returns should have to be within a specific time limit( say 14 days from purchase and if a buyer doesn't want to ship right away, then they should give up their right of return.)

Just haven't seen a problem on my end at all.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #167 (permalink)

Ive had 5 returns....But the returns don't bother me...I see both sides
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #168 (permalink)
Banned

I misunderstood your question.. 3 issues is what I have had as a buyer in 2 years. As a seller the answer is more recently than I have ever returned myself.

But it does seem we agree on what my big problem with this is. Not them sticking us with returns but the time frame they are allowing it. Anything more than 14 days is not acceptable to me.

[QUOTE=sjscout;5141141]
Quote:
I have returned 2 items and called and they refunded a third item without a return. In all cases what looked to be print lines on a card turned out to be creases.

So your point is?

My point was that comc has always allowed returns so their claim that this change somehow helps buyer confidence is bs. All this does is drop surprise balance reductions on sellers accounts.[/QUOTE

not trying to make a point, hence why I said do not take offense.

I have a decent port but no tsjct...I have not had a return. I cannot see your comc link so I am unsure who you are or your scenario.

It seems that the person complaining is the person with the 2nd highest bv on the site. Therefore, he will get more returns than most. Just wondering if he is crying a lil too much and influencing others who have not had issues. I have over 3000 sales past 8 months and zero returns.

I agree, returns should have to be within a specific time limit( say 14 days from purchase and if a buyer doesn't want to ship right away, then they should give up their right of return.)

Just haven't seen a problem on my end at all.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #169 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Ive had 5 returns....But the returns don't bother me...I see both sides

If you don't mind me asking how long ago were those cards sold?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #170 (permalink)

I wish that amazon buyer would return that Mike Trout Bowman Platinum autograph I sold them for $48.
hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #171 (permalink)
Banned

I GOT THE SOLUTION. how about SELLERS Remorse. Sellers can ask for cards back or decide not to sell the card..... make it a FAIR deal and a two way street.

I always give this explanation to people. "FAIR is when the 1st person gives the 2nd person $1.00 and the 2nd person gives the first person $1.00. They both would be willing to change sides" "unfair is when on person is giving $2.00 and the other gives $1.00 back" In the second situation, one person is NOT WILLING to trade sides, that is unfair.

Just a general opinion.. lol

People should just go on Amazon(not only comcs account,any account) and buy all the PUIGS and hold them for the "return" duration.., That is the safest investment in the universe... if i could do that with any metals,stock or ?????? i would be a millionaire...lol
Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Wrong. Tim told me he was going to start charging a restocking fee for this individual but he could continue the same old bgs 10 deal. Now if you want to chime in have the facts straight or go talk with tim
Wow, it is really interesting to see how a 4 card return for a total of $9.25 can spark such passionate discussion. Thank you to everyone for chiming in. This is all very valuable input.

I imagine the public would like to hear the full context of our discussion.

Yes, I did tell TSJCT that we have informed one of our buyers that he will be charged a restocking fee if he continues to have an abnormally high rate of returns.

This does not mean that we have a new return policy. This really gets to the heart of our return policy. We intentionally have just about as simple a return policy as possible. That is because we operate by the following "return theory".

1. Complex return policies translate into lost sales and missed opportunities
2. Abuse of the return policy should be handled on a case-by-case basis rather than continually adapting and making the return policy more complex

We are in a unique position to be able to offer #2 because of the following factors.
- Our quality images, accurate meta-data, and professional shipping significantly reduce the rate of returns as compared with others in our industry.
- We manually process all returns for all of our sellers. So we have an opportunity to apply judgment and discretion instead of having to enforce a rigid one-size-fits-all return policy.

Other sites can't really offer something quite like this, but it allows our sellers to have the best of both worlds. They get the upside of more sales due to a buyer friendly return policy without the risk of it getting exploited.

Also, the 99.9% of buyers that are not adversely taxing the return policy get the assurance and benefit of an extremely simple and straight forward return policy. And, the 0.1% of buyers that are trying to work the system or may have found a loophole get a personalized return policy.

These personalized polices could include any of the following:
- a friendly reminder to please carefully review the zoomed scans before buying
- charging a restocking fee that is appropriate to keep return levels to a point that won't annoy sellers
- not being allowed to make returns
- being banned from using the site

In practice we have had more than 50,000 buyers and we have maybe had to do a handful of personalized return policies. The vast majority of buyers don't abuse the generous return policy.

That is the return policy from the buyer's point of view, and that hasn't changed since day one of the website more than 7 years ago.

From the seller's point of view, we had to make a change once we started offering our Amazon integration. Amazon returns are on the order of 100 times more common than COMC returns. Prior to Amazon we eat the expense of nearly every return. Post Amazon, we simply couldn't afford to continue that practice.

About a year ago I added the ability for my team to easily reverse an entire order and put the items back into the previous seller's inventory. This helped us efficiently handle cases where Amazon customers would cancel orders before we had even shipped them. If the customer mailed the items back, we would do an extra step where we would manually verify that every item was identical to what we shipped out.

If an item doesn't match the original we sent out, it will not go back to the previous seller. Instead we will either absorb the return with our staff account or we will reject the return.

The only thing that changed recently is that I added the ability for my team to partially reverse an order because sometimes people would only return a few items out of a larger order. This allows us to keep our cost of processing returns low so that we don't have to find some other way to raise money to cover the cost of returns.

Since most returns are entire orders instead of partial returns, this shouldn't have a significant impact over what sellers experienced over the previous year. But just to be safe, we are adding some extra transparency thanks to the conversation with TSJCT. We will be adding a section to the dashboard that shows the seller their returns as well as who covered the cost (them vs. us) and any restocking fee they received. Sellers can then inform us if they spot any trends that might be an abuse of our return policy.

We hope that this clarifies how our return policy is designed to provide the best experience for both buyers and sellers.
timgetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #173 (permalink)

Tim is a class act.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
People should just go on Amazon(not only comcs account,any account) and buy all the PUIGS and hold them for the "return" duration.., That is the safest investment in the universe... if i could do that with any metals,stock or ?????? i would be a millionaire...lol
Not recommended... According to Amazon, they will ban buyers that abuse or try to exploit the return policy.
timgetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #175 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgetsch View Post
Not recommended... According to Amazon, they will ban buyers that abuse or try to exploit the return policy.
Sometimes its too late for recovery. If a seller has ONE bad experience , it could cause the lost of that seller(customer) for life.

I am just back into COMC after a year. COMC lost me as a bulk buyer, i bought a few thousand cards the first few months to take Delivery a few years back because of the shipping fees.

I am giving comc a try again but as a seller of low end cards this time. I would have probably bought 10,000's or even 100,000's of cards by now. but didnt because of the first few experiences with shipping cost.

I stopped selling on ebay because of constant policy changes.. i was doing $5,000 = $15,000 gross sales a month... but stopped cold turkey and never returned to ebay as a seller....

You have a great thing going,

I KNOW I AM JUST A PIECE OF SAND in your companies gross sales, but dont underestimate the many "lurkers" that dont express there feelings. they feel the same way has the people complaining on the thread.

PS: if you look WAY back and can find it, i sent you an email wanting to be an investor in your company. but got no response. THAT IS HOW GREAT I THOUGHT COMC WAS the first time i discovered your website.

Last edited by h4auto; 06-21-2013 at 03:41 AM.