Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC Sales History

Ok, I spoke with Nathan the other day and he filled me into some coming changes. Apparently they are going to start showing sales history. He said as of now it will be things such as how many times a certain card has been flipped and what the highest price received will be. I told him I thought it was a horrible idea and would kill flipping on COMC. He disagreed. There really is no reason to do this.

How hard is it for someone to open Ebay and check average sales prices? This is going to make it where someone will see that the card in question was just purchased for $1 and they aren't going to pay more than that. Between this and a number of other recent issues my satisfaction with COMC is quickly falling. I keep having cards unprice themselves over and over which takes a ton of time to reprice. They listened to my concerns but had no answers or solutions and didn't really seem terribly sympathetic to be honest.

I talked to Nathan and Steve and while they seem like great guys that really do care I just feel they are growing too fast to keep up and on top of that trying to do too much too soon. I feel they need to focus on what got them going and perfect it before trying to do things like grading, amazon, added tools etc. Interested in others view points.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Personally, I would be much more interested in knowing what cards people bought and then actually took possession of, and how much they paid. Flipping information, which includes cards sold in port sales, won't be very useful.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow. The greatest thing about COMC is that it is not ebay. And now it's becoming well....... Ebay. Flipping is one of the great features of the site.

It is amazing to me how many people will pay full book for a card that won't even get a bid on Ebay. That is great. Now, why would a buyer pay $5.00 for a card that they can see has been selling for $1.00. They won't. Not like they do now.

This seems like another way for the site to elimate sales and sellers sending in $1 to $10 cards. Like all the other changes I will wait and see. The convenience of the site was worth all of the fee increases and 20% cashout but they margin is decreasing rapidly.

I'm not freaking out but the thought of having cards shipped back and port sales does cross the mind a little. If any sellers on here can tell me an advantage to listing sales history, I'd really like to hear it.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rednecksims

I dont like it either. Makes me regret sending my lot in now. Might just bite the bullet and have it all bulk shipped back and eat $300 in losses.
rednecksims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

i agree with you OP. i may be spending less on comc in the future if they do this.
patchgenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I dislike this and I am in the process of aggressively trying to build my portfolio to 6 figures over the next year and a half.

One of my motivating factors was the ability to flip and generate margin thru investment and patience.

I do not want anyone to know I paid $1.39 for a card I am asking $2.99 for because they will expect it for $1.38
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

This makes no sense. Take a breath and things should be fine. You may find that you really enjoy selling, flipping and buying on COMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecksims View Post
I dont like it either. Makes me regret sending my lot in now. Might just bite the bullet and have it all bulk shipped back and eat $300 in losses.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Last edited by TSJCT; 06-17-2013 at 08:33 PM.
TSJCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrett View Post
I dislike this and I am in the process of aggressively trying to build my portfolio to 6 figures over the next year and a half.

One of my motivating factors was the ability to flip and generate margin thru investment and patience.

I do not want anyone to know I paid $1.39 for a card I am asking $2.99 for because they will expect it for $1.38
This is exactly what my point was. Now in the other thread they are going to be accepting returns and putting that on you as well? I think I am done. I had a very long phone conversation with Nathan on this and just do not like the direction they are trying to go. When you try to be all things to all people failure is almost always inevitable.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJCT View Post
Just another GREAT idea from COMC. I am amazed each and every day of the Smart ideas they come up with. I bet this will Triple the amount of shipments they get now. Keep up the great work guys. Thumbs up
This is all making me think "WHY FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN?".

I loved the way things were. What was the need for all these changes?
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
This is all making me think "WHY FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN?".

I loved the way things were. What was the need for all these changes?
yes and another one is the KISS formula. My dad told me the KISS formula was the best. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
This is exactly what my point was. Now in the other thread they are going to be accepting returns and putting that on you as well? I think I am done. I had a very long phone conversation with Nathan on this and just do not like the direction they are trying to go. When you try to be all things to all people failure is almost always inevitable.
Exactly!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Back a couple of years ago COMC tried making a notation if you were the original owner of the card. I and many others made a stink about this taking the anonymity away from the person flipping the card. By adding the sales history, this will become extreme pain for the sellers who will see a sales drop because of the cavalier buyer who won't permit anybody to profit one cent off of them.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Back a couple of years ago COMC tried making a notation if you were the original owner of the card. I and many others made a stink about this taking the anonymity away from the person flipping the card. By adding the sales history, this will become extreme pain for the sellers who will see a sales drop because of the cavalier buyer who won't permit anybody to profit one cent off of them.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

before we all act as chicken little - some more than others yet again, lets see what the feedback does. they have been really good with taking what we say (have you ever read the bashing on facebook?) and changing their tune.

I have thousands of cards that I want to send in on top of the 600 or so they already have but this new way they want to show historical data will force me rethink. I've been with them since 2008 and there have been many many changes and things they wanted to do which the masses got on them about and those changes never happened or were tweaked.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
before we all act as chicken little - some more than others yet again, lets see what the feedback does. they have been really good with taking what we say (have you ever read the bashing on facebook?) and changing their tune.

I have thousands of cards that I want to send in on top of the 600 or so they already have but this new way they want to show historical data will force me rethink. I've been with them since 2008 and there have been many many changes and things they wanted to do which the masses got on them about and those changes never happened or were tweaked.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

I just sent a nice comment to them that I have heard a rumor and I do not support it. I asked them to pop over to the boards to address.

I like to believe that calm reasonable discussions are often more effective than large reactions and hasty decisions

Seems like they have a good thing going, and a track record of generally intelligent decisions

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt

I do think everyone should pass along a nice, well written note to them that this rumor has surfaced and we are opposed to the site moving in that direction

If they take our feedback great, if not I will decide on a course of action THEN and not one second sooner
Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrett View Post
I just sent a nice comment to them that I have heard a rumor and I do not support it. I asked them to pop over to the boards to address.

I like to believe that calm reasonable discussions are often more effective than large reactions and hasty decisions

Seems like they have a good thing going, and a track record of generally intelligent decisions

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt

I do think everyone should pass along a nice, well written note to them that this rumor has surfaced and we are opposed to the site moving in that direction

If they take our feedback great, if not I will decide on a course of action THEN and not one second sooner
This is how I feel as well. I think I read that Steve will be at the local show this weekend. I'm hoping to have a chance to chat about these changes and issues being discussed. If anyone has any they'd like for me to bring up, LMK. As of now, these are the issues I am concerned about:

Historical prices shown.
Returns being charged to sellers.
The (seemingly) constant repricing needed.
Losing bulk shipping.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.

Last edited by GoBeavs; 06-17-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: adding discussion items
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

This is a horrible idea. Hopefully they are reading this thread.

It always amazes me how companies don't abide by the don't broke don't fix it and most quickly find they shot themselves in the foot.

Supercollecting Cedric Griffin (06 Rookie Cornerback - Vikings) 71/153 !!
vikingfan101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

add me to the list that does not like it.
glen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default A little more information

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to chime in and clarify a few things.

Allow me to explain what buyers will be able to see when purchasing. They will be able to see what the HIGHEST price the card has been sold and shipped out for was within the last 6-12 months. They will NOT be able to see the lowest price or the price that the card was purchased at.

The buyer will also be able to see the number of times that a card of this type has changed owners on the site. This is to give site users a better idea of how active the card has been on the site.

Lastly, the users will be able to see the total number of this type of card that have been sold. This will help to give our sellers a sense of how frequently this card appears on the site, and how frequently it gets shipped out.

I hope this better explains what we are working to accomplish. We are well aware of the difficulties that were created when full sales histories were provided in the past. We want our flippers to continue to have an opportunity to grow their portfolios and enjoy the joy of getting a good deal.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this topic, or some suggestions about how we can improve it, I highly encourage you to get in touch with our Customer Service department.

Regards,
Mark M.
Marketing Coordinator
comc.com
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

My initial impression is that this will be a good change. It will be much easier for me to price my cards if I know what buyers who want to keep the card (not flippers) were willing to pay in the past. I think it also may make buyers more willing to purchase cards if they know what other people have paid.

I think I would like to see the 6-12 month period be extended though. I have a ton of cards (particularly low-numbered cards) that don't get a ton of traffic. So, there's going to be no data for many of them unless we go further back.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
Hello Folks,

I just wanted to chime in and clarify a few things.

Allow me to explain what buyers will be able to see when purchasing. They will be able to see what the HIGHEST price the card has been sold and shipped out for was within the last 6-12 months. They will NOT be able to see the lowest price or the price that the card was purchased at.

The buyer will also be able to see the number of times that a card of this type has changed owners on the site. This is to give site users a better idea of how active the card has been on the site.

Lastly, the users will be able to see the total number of this type of card that have been sold. This will help to give our sellers a sense of how frequently this card appears on the site, and how frequently it gets shipped out.

I hope this better explains what we are working to accomplish. We are well aware of the difficulties that were created when full sales histories were provided in the past. We want our flippers to continue to have an opportunity to grow their portfolios and enjoy the joy of getting a good deal.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this topic, or some suggestions about how we can improve it, I highly encourage you to get in touch with our Customer Service department.

Regards,
Mark M.
Marketing Coordinator
comc.com
This is exactly what Nathan told me and I will say the same thing to you that I did to him. Why? Why create more work for yourselves by creating something that isn't needed. How about spending resources fixing the unpricing problem?

We do not need any of those history things you mentioned. Who really cares how many times a card has sold or how many have sold? Why do I need to know the highest price it has sold at? How am I supposed to flip something with this info available? Say I buy a card for $1 to flip it. It was the only one on the site and the BV is $6. I relist it at $1.50. We all know that a buyer will not want to pay more than $1 regardless of what true value is if my purchase had been the previous high. This is a horrible idea, is unneeded and will use resources better used somewhere else. If a buyer wants this type of info they can check Ebay or Beckett.

While you are here, please address the other issues. Why is bulk shipping going away if it in fact is. This would be another horrible idea. Also, why are we going to now be subject to returns? Your business has grown due to the horrible policies of Ebay and you have benefited by people leaving there and flocking to you. It seems that you guys are doing your best to replicate their practices and I see nothing but bad coming from that.

Last edited by jmscoggin; 06-17-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Mark M. has been all over sh*t for customer service questions, on the site too. Good stuff.
password- jetscollector
jetscollector10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
This is exactly what Nathan told me and I will say the same thing to you that I did to him. Why? Why create more work for yourselves by creating something that isn't needed. How about spending resources fixing the unpricing problem?
How is this more work? They have the data, it's just a matter of making it visible. In the grand scheme of things, it's a trivial (in terms of work) update. I'm sure the coders have some downtime to make this work, it's not going to take resources away from regular businesss or fixing problems.