Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew82 View Post
Chill KId??????You little scrodum you dont even know how old I am.Dont be lazy change your prices before you start to cry.What did they break.Ive been a member for over 3 years its still the same.Only difference is the old site is gone.
*Scrotum.

I have over 7,000 cards...changing them manually would take weeks.

COMC had a bulk price editor where can edit all your cards at once. It used a database connection through the old site. When the old site went down, so did it.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrokepoet View Post
LoL ...pretty sure he is responding to your "bitching" . You said your own problem right here . You have stuff priced double what it should be .
There have been many posts in the last few months about decreasing sales overall. The only reason my cards are double the original asking price I set for them was because of the bulk editor issues. To get my cards to be the lowest, I'm forced to run sales.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

I took a quick look at your port. I thought you were referring to cards not selling at 50% of an already low asking price. You were referring to 50% off book price which is a big difference.

This may hurt, but your cards are going to move extremely slow if you expect 50% of book on what you have. You will have to discount much deeper if you want to move them.

I personally am not in a huge hurry to sell my cards on COMC unless I get close to what I want for them.

Sales have been slow this month, but I attribute that to the summer, the National and the fact that I have not run any promotions or classified ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramy View Post
Sales have PLUMMETED and I can't even move items when they're 50% off.

It's getting bad out there. REAL bad.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #29 (permalink)

If you want to reduce every single one of your cards (or a big chunk of cards) by 50%, (or some other amount), you can do this pretty readily with the "Easter Egg Feature".

How to Edit Prices Quickly - YouTube

Basically, you would go to "Inventory Manager", then sort all of your cards by "lowest asking price", then start pricing by clumps. So, if you run into a clump of cards with a $1 asking price, and you want them to be 50 cents, you price the top one on the page at 50 cents. Then, the cursor will be on the next card and you type two asterisks really fast ** , and that card will be priced the same price as the card before that.

Using this feature, you should be able to reprice all of your cards in a couple of hours or so. It's not the couple of minutes that the bulk editor used to take, and I agree they should have never ever gotten rid of the old site until the new bulk editor was up and running, but it is a viable workaround for your problem.
checkoutmydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
There have been many posts in the last few months about decreasing sales overall. The only reason my cards are double the original asking price I set for them was because of the bulk editor issues. To get my cards to be the lowest, I'm forced to run sales.
LoL . Pretty sure almost everyone on here is telling you the same thing . Just rearranging the words to sound nice and come from a different angle . Your prices are too high and your sale is not good enough . You have things listed at book or above when they sell for fractions of those prices on Ebay . Just start repricing everything and cards will sell. I can reprice 1000 cards in a few hours manually to be the lowest on every card . And I only use my phone . Should not take you weeks . LoL . . Everybody else seems to be selling even if a little less . I have bought 3 cards just in the time we have been talking here . Again, the Suh auto rookie was on "sale" but the guy didn't jack the price to double Ebay before he had the sale. It was a good deal and he made the sale ..I will sit on it. I bet it sells. Also because I flipped it, I can still take offers and profit . I LOVE the site . And I think it will get much much bigger before or even comes close to dying or even peaking . However, I am the type of buyer that can go through dollar and quarter boxes at shows for hours on end . Looking for stuff to flip, trade, list or PC.

www.ILoveCOMC.com/reasonswhy
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm...the below is taken from the other thread about the bulk price editor...

Quote:
I would love it back because I doubled all my prices to run a big sale...and now I'm stuck.
so the reason they are double are not because of the bulk editor issues...the reason they are double is because you set them there and tried to be shady and make believe you were giving people a deal...yep...you're forced to....
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
I took a quick look at your port. I thought you were referring to cards not selling at 50% of an already low asking price. You were referring to 50% off book price which is a big difference.

This may hurt, but your cards are going to move extremely slow if you expect 50% of book on what you have. You will have to discount much deeper if you want to move them.
I think I've explained this poorly. My "usual" asking prices are 50% of the current asking prices (not including the sale).

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
If you want to reduce every single one of your cards (or a big chunk of cards) by 50%, (or some other amount), you can do this pretty readily with the "Easter Egg Feature".

How to Edit Prices Quickly - YouTube
This is perfect. Thank you so much for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
Hmmm...the below is taken from the other thread about the bulk price editor...

so the reason they are double are not because of the bulk editor issues...the reason they are double is because you set them there and tried to be shady and make believe you were giving people a deal...yep...you're forced to....
The reason they are STILL high is because of the editor dying.

I don't agree with what I did being shady. When I had my prices as the lowest on the site for all my cards and I ran 10% sales, I noticed the sales didn't seem to move that much more product. I wondered if people saw my "only" 10% off and decided to move on to the next sale that was 55% off. So, I used the editor to double my prices and run a 55% off sale to see if the higher number brought in more sales at the same price. Then, during one of the sales, the editor died and I was "stuck" with the higher prices.

I don't really think you can be shady on COMC. I was just trying a different marketing/advertising approach.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew82 View Post
Chill KId??????You little scrodum you dont even know how old I am.Dont be lazy change your prices before you start to cry.What did they break.Ive been a member for over 3 years its still the same.Only difference is the old site is gone.
Ha ha ha...did you really call him a scrodum...ha ha ha...that's hilarious...ha ha ha...it's "scrotum"...but still...ha ha ha
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #34 (permalink)

That's awesome, lol. What is even more awesome is that avatar...who is she? wow
papercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #35 (permalink)

Well I wish I could move stuff on COMC faster, that's for sure! But I don't think the site's dying. I hope not because if it does, so might my interest in cards because Ebay's too time consuming and I don't plan on doing shows on a regular basis either. Cards do move on there. Not just stars but unique inserts and cards that the site's not flooded with. I've sold some no name inserts and parallels over the years for close to book and sometimes over book. People blowing out Kosuke Fukodome and Topps refractors, take a look at how many are on there and that's why people aren't rushing to pay 3% of book value even though it's a good deal in your opinion and you're probably taking a loss. I don't think there's much demand for some of these cards anywhere so I wouldn't blame COMC for that!

I know they do the $20 for first time sellers, but how about a seller's appreciation deal where you get 50 cards processed free with each 1000 or something?

Last edited by dirtydistance; 08-17-2013 at 11:31 PM.
dirtydistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #36 (permalink)

Sales have been just fine for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

hahahahahahaha
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

My sales have always been slow, but then again I don't have anything remotely new on there. But that is about to change, I"m getting ready to send in some newer stuff so we will see. Plus I am in no hurry to sell so I just let it ride and mess with my prices while watching games or races, other than that I don't mess with them much.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
My sales have always been slow, but then again I don't have anything remotely new on there. But that is about to change, I"m getting ready to send in some newer stuff so we will see. Plus I am in no hurry to sell so I just let it ride and mess with my prices while watching games or races, other than that I don't mess with them much.
Hope you plan on using the National special, but I guess thats only if you're sending in thin cards
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
Hope you plan on using the National special, but I guess thats only if you're sending in thin cards

Yeah I'm sending in one of the 660 count boxes. Basically I"m trying to get my pc organized and on track since it's so scattered right now. It's still defiantly not organized but it's a heck of alot better than it was and it's on the right track now. Will be sending in mostly base, but about 150-200 different inserts. But now that pc is on right path, I hope to be able to send in more frequently which will be mostly brand new stuff.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #41 (permalink)

Month

Year

Total Sales

# Sold

Sold BV

Average BV

% Off

Taken from my seller account,
August 2013 $1,147.49 1,294 $10,918.25 $8.50 90%
July 2013 $4,374.44 4,382 $35,729.90 $8.26 88%
June 2013 $1,718.18 2,152 $12,978.10 $6.09 87%
May 2013 $693.42 1,295 $5,871.25 $4.55 88%

I think you can see the key is to sell at close to 10-12% of BV, now I don't stock "hot stuff" so I get less for my stuff but I have found that pretty much anything will sell if it's priced cheap enough.
dcaudle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #42 (permalink)

2 pages worth of posts and no one has brought up the fact that ebay is giving away their site to anyone who has a card to sell?
7,500 free listings in May, 20,000 in June, 80,000 in July, 50,000 in August.
Ebay is so flooded right now, that average run of the mill cards are going for pennies on the dollar. As long as you're not looking for the absolute hottest product, ebay is a buyer's paradise. I buy player lots on ebay and single cards on COMC and I can tell you without question, that there are more player lot / small collections / bulk dump lots on ebay than in the last 3-5 years.
From 2009 - 2012, on a daily average, there were 2.5 - 3.2 million items listed in the card category on ebay.
What is it today?
5.7 million.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #43 (permalink)

Interesting reading and nice to see some of the big boys offering their thoughts. I think we can all be guilty of thinking our cards aren't moving quick enough.

I'm not having a pop at the OP, and understand his logic of offering higher perceived discounts having not had great success when running a 10% off sale. That said, speaking for myself, I'll click on 70% off sales and instantly see that the initial prices are too high so don't even bother looking through the rest of the port.

On another note, I was wondering what had happened to my sales on Amazon, as they'd all but disappeared but I've sold a bunch, for me anyway, through there recently.
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
2 pages worth of posts and no one has brought up the fact that ebay is giving away their site to anyone who has a card to sell?
7,500 free listings in May, 20,000 in June, 80,000 in July, 50,000 in August.
Ebay is so flooded right now, that average run of the mill cards are going for pennies on the dollar. As long as you're not looking for the absolute hottest product, ebay is a buyer's paradise. I buy player lots on ebay and single cards on COMC and I can tell you without question, that there are more player lot / small collections / bulk dump lots on ebay than in the last 3-5 years.
From 2009 - 2012, on a daily average, there were 2.5 - 3.2 million items listed in the card category on ebay.
What is it today?
5.7 million.
Nobody brought up Beckett.com sales sites either . Or Amazon or KMart . Like everybody kinda stayed on the topic .... Strange
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #45 (permalink)

Our sales have been just fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsublime View Post
Our sales have been just fine.
Your cards are awesome .. That helps
Old 08-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #47 (permalink)

I have years of data to compare on COMC with my sales, and my year over year sales (comparing this July to last July) are consistently down about 40% for 2013 over 2012. My prices are typically updated and are the lowest or near the lowest on the site. It's possible that the inventory itself may be getting stale, although the prices are updated, but I'm not sure that can explain it all. I am more selective about what I send in now than I was when the listings were $0.15 a few years back, but that didn't really hurt my sales, it just increased my average sale price per card.

On a side note, COMC raising the listings from $0.15 to $0.25 is what allowed me to have about 70,000 $1 cards at this year's National (all sorted by team btw) that made for me having a great show. All that inventory used to go the them.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #48 (permalink)

i wouldn't necessarily say COMC is dying. I think this might be a down year for the hobby in general.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddearing View Post
I have years of data to compare on COMC with my sales, and my year over year sales (comparing this July to last July) are consistently down about 40% for 2013 over 2012. My prices are typically updated and are the lowest or near the lowest on the site. It's possible that the inventory itself may be getting stale, although the prices are updated, but I'm not sure that can explain it all. I am more selective about what I send in now than I was when the listings were $0.15 a few years back, but that didn't really hurt my sales, it just increased my average sale price per card.

On a side note, COMC raising the listings from $0.15 to $0.25 is what allowed me to have about 70,000 $1 cards at this year's National (all sorted by team btw) that made for me having a great show. All that inventory used to go the them.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I have a lot of data too that shows sales are down. It isn't just a "summer-dip" either. I have already taken shipment of all of my nicer cards, and have pulled close to half of my cash stash from the site.

I know they are reading this thread, and I will say this to them. If you make changes that are obviously making the site take a downward trend you need to stop that trend. That could mean additional changes, or rolling back previous changes, but something needs to be done. The site is not dying like the OP stated, but it has taken a hit. Its like the site has a small piece of skin cancer that needs to be dealt with. Fix it now and it will only be a small memory that happened in the past. Let it go and it will turn into a bigger problem that will require a ton of work to fix and may be too late to fix.

I personally think there is a reason why we used to get constant monthly statistics on the site about traffic/cards listed/etc and now we get nothing. The site was growing back then and they wanted to show that off. Those updates stopped when these changes started. That is a red flag in my book.

One more thing I want to bring up. The fees being taken from the promotions are suppose to be used to promote the site. With the amount of promotions that are ran on the site with a 3% commision (plus $3 a day) coming from them there has to be a TON of capital coming in. I know what advertising costs a lot of areas, and there is no way that money is all going for that. That money either needs to used for what we was told or the fees need to be cut.

In summary, the site is still very good to use, but it is not what it once was. I believe the staff at COMC is extremely intelligent and I am sure they see the downward trend. What I hope is that they are not digging their feet into the dirt like a stubborn mule. Recognize mistakes and changes that need to be made and do exactly that. Keep COMC trending up. I want to be able to continue to send new buyers and sellers to the site. I am having a hard time promoting it right now though. I can't pull my money off the site while I am telling others to put theirs in.

PS....Last thing I promise! It would be SO helpful if there was a place that we could add notes to our own cards that only we could see. I would use it to put my cost basis for my own cards that I send in. Right now I use a spreadsheet that I click back and forth between to determine how much I am into a card for if I am getting an offer. That would be a HUGE perk in my opinion, that would probably require very little work by a good coder.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #50 (permalink)

My 2 cents,

The biggest change I would like to see reversed is the "quarter". I understand the handling part of the shipping and handling is an issue for COMC, but I would like to see a better solution. The "quarter" added to each card kills the low end, kills the set builder, and I believe is a large part of reducing sales.

I promoted two monthly card show for years back in the day, when things were good. Filling want lists was my specialty, allowing me to make money without competing directly with my dealers. The best part was I had guaranteed traffic, each and every show, because I had and envelope or box of things they had to have. Each of those guaranteed customers spent money with other dealers.

I have met many high end or player collectors that have never built a single set of cards, but I have never met a set builder that didn't also buy high end or mid-range cards for their collection.

The "quarter" has also broken the site into a Jekyll and Hyde setup that leads to leads to confusing promotions and discounts, confuses the sorting process on percentage sorts, causes the discount rate on sales to be advertised at a lesser value than the actual sale rate, and so on.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but $28.00 in shipping for $22.50 in cards you need is a deal breaker for most. I would happily pay $5 -$10 monthly to have a seller account, that would be 10k - 20k per month to subsidize the handling part of S&H if 60% of the sellers stayed. Perhaps a percentage of sales so higher cards donated more to keep the low end affordable. Anything but the "quarter" to ship the card you paid 20 cents for.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of COMC and recommend it to everyone I know ... and I will rebuild the old monster port again. Just waiting for things to settle in a specific direction.

Whew! ... OK, so it was a whole nickels' worth.
drd65 is offline   Reply With Quote