Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bad eBay trend?

My dad has been clearing out a ton of his old boxes and other graded cards he's been sitting on for a few years. Within two weeks of each other he's had brand new buyers (at least based on eBay ID history) win high-end items (a Gretzky PSA 9 RC and a 48-pack box of late 70s OPC hockey) and then not pay.

One of the winners claimed he was new to eBay and had Paypal issues which kept him from paying - except that he bought some other high-end hockey the same day, and later bought a different Gretzky RC. The unpaid case closed, which means no negative feedback could be posted. There's no obvious ding to his ID either.

The other winner hasn't responded to any messages. His ID was created on Sept. 2, the day before he sniped the OPC box auction at $1,550.

Anyone else having issues like this? Anyone know if there are other ways to try to link newly created IDs to old IDs?
threebseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Buyers can't get negative feedback, ever, since about 2006. So 100% positive buyer feedback is a useless metric. You can, however, report to eBay that you think a particular buyer is acting in bad faith. Then they'll claim to keep an eye out for that person. Presumably, if the newly created accounts are related to an older account / credit card / IP address, and a pattern of abuse emerges, they'll theoretically possibly once-in-a-while do something about the guy.

At least, that's the theory. In reality, it usually means that if your roommate ever starts selling on eBay, you'll probably be suspended for suspected shill bidding.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

One way to defeat this is to use a Buy-It-Now with Best Offer format, rather than an auction format on higher end items. Set the Buy It Now price a little over what the item should go for. When the offers start to come in, you might quickly accept a reasonable offer from a reputable eBayer. If you get a $1500 offer from someone with 0 feedback, you might contact that person to get a feel for whether they're a flake or not.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
One way to defeat this is to use a Buy-It-Now with Best Offer format, rather than an auction format on higher end items. Set the Buy It Now price a little over what the item should go for. When the offers start to come in, you might quickly accept a reasonable offer from a reputable eBayer. If you get a $1500 offer from someone with 0 feedback, you might contact that person to get a feel for whether they're a flake or not.
Thanks for the comments. We've both sold for awhile (he's been on since '99, me consistently since 2007) with about 8,000 combined transactions, that's why this struck as so odd to happen twice in such a short span. I've done a few high-end items in past with no issues. There's no perfect selling format to defeat someone who is intent on scamming or not paying.

I know the idea of low-feedback and bid-and-run users isn't new, but wanted to feel out if anyone else noticed it more prominently of late.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I haven't actually noticed it more lately, but it's always been more prevalent with higher end stuff. Plus, you notice it more.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
Problem is if you list with best offer and they make an offer and you accept then ebay paying rules go into effect again. They still have 4 days to pay if you accept a best offer. And again they can just not pay if they choose. Whats the diffrence if they win on auction and dont pay or win on best offer and dont pay. However if you list bin w/ best offer you can screen your buyer and check there feedback and history before you decide to accept the offer.

The only way to 100% avoid this is to list as Buy it now w/ immediate payment due.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maxrookiecards just scammed me. Thank goodness it wasn't anything like an Babe Ruth Auto. It was a Cordorelle Patterson for only $50. I mean it's only $50, damn. Sent an echeck as a payment. Went to see if payments were received (money received was highlighted in green) so i sent the item. When i went to see where the payment was - that is when i saw he/she paid with an echeck. BEWARE MAXROOKIECARDS!!!

So I called ebay. I told ebay I was not looking for a refund for item because ebay sux and wouldn't do anything cool like that. She then went on to tell me that I could not get refunded for payment..... which means this dumb lady wasn't even listening to me.

Finally, she understood that I truly wasn't after the $50 I lost, I was instead trying to make sure this "maxrookiecards" couldn't scam anyone else... She told me they would review the case. Which I take as - "we will do absolutely nothing."
I have the guys info and as tempted as I am to go there - People are crazy. AHHH Ebay/ Paypal !! I wish there was a company that did something!!!
joepkrguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
Problem is if you list with best offer and they make an offer and you accept then ebay paying rules go into effect again. They still have 4 days to pay if you accept a best offer. And again they can just not pay if they choose. Whats the diffrence if they win on auction and dont pay or win on best offer and dont pay. However if you list bin w/ best offer you can screen your buyer and check there feedback and history before you decide to accept the offer.

The only way to 100% avoid this is to list as Buy it now w/ immediate payment due.
Ah, yes, the people who BIN and then wait days to pay. Immediate payment does help a bit.

I guess the bigger issue is how blatantly open some people are when it comes to admitting they're bidding without the money to actually buy. Think of how many times you've seen the "need Paypal" comment urgently posted somewhere.

Anyone know how to write a code that can block bidders who clearly don't have the money to cover a payment? Haha.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default ...

Non-payers are so common to me now I usually just curse them to hell and try to cancel ASAP so I can move on a relist. Fighting for payment gets old.
Rndm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I have a $375 cell phone I'm getting ready to relist for the 4th time due to all non paying bidders unbelievable.....I sell 20-25 items a week 1 in 5 won't pay
Zach23 is offline   Reply With Quote